Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

On 10/28/2017 at 6:22 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

By God Quenton Nelson is good.  He's been the second best player in the class that I've seen so far, after Barkley.

Totally agree.  He’s going to be amazing and it’s not going to matter that he is a guard either.  He’s like drafting Marshall Yanda or Steve Hutchinson.  Maybe even Zach Martin.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Ravens take him with their first round pick, which is likely to be around 10.  They need some serious help with their oline.  Grabbing him would also set them up for the day Yanda retires.

2 hours ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Totally agree.  He’s going to be amazing and it’s not going to matter that he is a guard either.  He’s like drafting Marshall Yanda or Steve Hutchinson.  Maybe even Zach Martin.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Ravens take him with their first round pick, which is likely to be around 10.  They need some serious help with their oline.  Grabbing him would also set them up for the day Yanda retires.

I would love to have him and Stanfords RB Love.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:46 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF first mock

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2018-nfl-mock-draft-1?utm_content=buffer628b7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

1. Mayfield

2. D. James

3. Barkley

4. Darnold

5. L. Jackson

6. Rosen

7. James Washington

8. M. Hurst

9. C. Williams

10. O. Brown

Mayfield #1 eh? That would make sense only if the Browns had that pick. They tend to do stupid things. Otherwise that dude is at best a 2nd rounder simply because of his size.

On 10/29/2017 at 12:09 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

He won't go that high.  He's neither fast nor long enough.  He'll go in the teens or twenties.

Btw, one thing to take into account with Chubb.  Terrell Suggs isn’t fast or long either and he’s had a very strong if not borderline HOF career.  

14 hours ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I'm sorry but this can't be true right? You have some high form of arrogance if you skip declaring for a draft because a certain team has the number one pick. Like you are 100% sure they will pick you. Like you are the best player. If you are Andrew Luck, I get it. The man was clear cut number one for two years (althought there was some RGIII talk). But Darnald. He is not by miles the best QB and player. 

And let's say he skip this years draft and go for the 2019 draft. I don't see why the Browns wouldn't be able to take him in 2019.

This is a level of thinking I don't understand.

----------------

Right now next years draft is super interesting for QB's. I tell you why. Right now the bottom teams are: Browns (No QB), 49ers (Jimmy), Giants (Eli), Colts (Andrew), Bucs (Jameis), Bears (Trubisky), Chargers (Rivers). Most of these teams don't need one right now, they rather trade down to grab more players. This means that if there are 2 or 3 QB's that are really good, teams will trade up. I could see Cardinals, Broncos, Jets trade up. Does are above average teams. So 2018 could be the year where top QB prospects get picked up by good teams. That makes your life a lot easier instead of playing for a team like the 49ers. 

13 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Mayfield #1 eh? That would make sense only if the Browns had that pick. They tend to do stupid things. Otherwise that dude is at best a 2nd rounder simply because of his size.

That's PFF obsessed with metrics -- they had their own off beat mocks last year, too. Mayfield seems to have some Manziel in him both in stature and off the field stuff -- though not as bad.  I'd stay away.

28 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I'm sorry but this can't be true right? You have some high form of arrogance if you skip declaring for a draft because a certain team has the number one pick. Like you are 100% sure they will pick you. Like you are the best player. If you are Andrew Luck, I get it. The man was clear cut number one for two years (althought there was some RGIII talk). But Darnald. He is not by miles the best QB and player. 

In his shoes, Matt Barkley's scene would scare me if I were him.  Ditto Jake Locker.  That extra year could sink you.

7 hours ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Btw, one thing to take into account with Chubb.  Terrell Suggs isn’t fast or long either and he’s had a very strong if not borderline HOF career.  

I would hesitate to compare Chubb to a HoF-bound exception like Suggs to justify a projection about Chubb's draft position.  Suggs had almost twice as many sacks and abut 20 more TFLs in three seasons than Chubb has in four.  Suggs was a truly special pass rusher.  And even still, his crappy combine made him drop to 10th overall.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:17 PM, SkinsFanMania said:

In most drafts that would be correct, but this draft is very much like the 2016 draft,  a few top players and then a bunch of mid first to mid 2nd rated players,  that’s why I feel he goes top 10.  

I think this is a better argument for why Chubb could go top ten.  It's true, there isn't a strong top ten this year.  And it's a weak year for edge rushing prospects in particular, where a Derek Barnett clone is going to basically be the top guy in the class because the physical freaks like Arden Key have sucked.  If Chubb becomes the top guy at the position by default, then you're probably right that someone will reach on him in the top ten.

39 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

And let's say he skip this years draft and go for the 2019 draft. I don't see why the Browns wouldn't be able to take him in 2019.

That's what I was thinking too.  It's not like they're ever not going to be picking early.  So I guess he's hoping that Josh Rosen would fall on that sword for him.

What do you guys think of Derrius Guice? I am not a big college football follower and just watch the top games from time to time, so I rely more on stats and some highlight videos here. He was tearing the league up last year and led LSU in rushing yards, so he had more than Fournette (who was batteling some injuries). Then he was banged up at the beginning of the season but completely destroyed Ole Miss two weeks ago. He has phenomenal acceleration and seems to hit holes really good but also the LSU o-line seems to be pretty good at blocking.

It would be nice to have a stud running back and he could be available in the middle of the first round (as opposed to Barkley). I read that he has to improve in pass protection, but overall he seems like a great running back. Is he a good fit in our offense? Would he be worth a (high to middle) first round pick?

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Quinten Nelson in the first (when we end up 7-9) and the best RB in the 2nd.  The rest is whatever.

Never seems to get overpowered and he finishes blocks like Sherff, just mean. Looks like he moves pretty well for a guy his size. I could get on board with this pick.

On 11/2/2017 at 1:46 PM, Panninho said:

What do you guys think of Derrius Guice? I am not a big college football follower and just watch the top games from time to time, so I rely more on stats and some highlight videos here. He was tearing the league up last year and led LSU in rushing yards, so he had more than Fournette (who was batteling some injuries). Then he was banged up at the beginning of the season but completely destroyed Ole Miss two weeks ago. He has phenomenal acceleration and seems to hit holes really good but also the LSU o-line seems to be pretty good at blocking.

It would be nice to have a stud running back and he could be available in the middle of the first round (as opposed to Barkley). I read that he has to improve in pass protection, but overall he seems like a great running back. Is he a good fit in our offense? Would he be worth a (high to middle) first round pick?

I like Guice but I don't know if I trust any rB in the first round outside of Barkley. I do like Damien Harris From Bama even though I know that school doesn't have a great track record for that position (kinda like USC and QBs).

Watching this Miami vs Oakland game and it's driven home how little speed we have in our offensive skill positions in comparison to other teams.  Good size at receiver but no elusiveness or run and catch ability.  Chris Thompson is smooth and shifty and has good vision but all of our RBs are slow.

Breer, SI did a mock, for those interested

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/07/mock-draft-2018-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-saquon-barkley

1. Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
On Saturday, Darnold showed why he’s still the safest pick. And after passing on Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson, it’d be pretty tough for Cleveland to say no to another potential franchise QB.

2. San Francisco 49ers: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Barkley’s had a rough go the last couple weeks, but he’s still the best pure prospect in the class. The question will be how the teams drafting high value running backs.

3. New York Giants: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Given the questions about entitlement and maturity that Rosen has faced, New York would be an interesting landing spot.

4. Indianapolis Colts: Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
The Colts need a war daddy on defense, and Chubb’s all of that. The question here would be if he fits GM Chris Ballard’s parameters on measureables.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
This would be a safe pick by the Bucs, taking a guy from the Nick Saban machine who can play anywhere in the secondary.

6. New York Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Will drafting a guard high go over well in New York? If the Jets find a quarterback before the draft, I wouldn’t worry about that. Nelson has a chance to be in the same class as Irish alum/Cowboys All-Pro Zack Martin.

7. Oakland Raiders: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
McGlinchey is not spectacular. He’s a safe pick, and would make sense to start on the right side, then eventually replace Donald Penn on the left.

8. Los Angeles Chargers: Connor Williams, OT, Texas
Had Williams not suffered a knee injury in September, he’d probably be considered the draft’s top tackle. Even with the injury, he’s close, and the Chargers could use a successor for Russell Okung.

9. Chicago Bears: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
The latest in a run of Buckeye corners over the last few years, Ward lacks the size of the others but is every bit the athlete.

10. Arizona Cardinals: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Yes, Allen’s been uneven this year. And yes, there’s a decent chance Bruce Arians retires after this season. But for now, we’ll put Allen here, because he’s an Arians prototype.

11. Cincinnati Bengals: Derwin James, S, Florida State
James has had a massively disappointing year, but he’s just back from injury and should test well in Indy.

12. Denver Broncos: Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
It’s time for the Broncos to start getting younger on defense.

13. Cleveland Browns (from Houston): Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
So here’s a gift for Darnold, a big, fast, raw target that some scouts believe has superstar potential, and has been eye-popping for them to evaluate in person.

14. Detroit Lions: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Landry could, potentially, be the replacement for free-agent-to-be Ziggy Ansah.

15. Washington Redskins: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Washington’s roster is pretty balanced, meaning that (Cousins permitting) they won’t have to force anything here. Smith has a chance to be a great NFL player.

16. Baltimore Ravens: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Baltimore’s still chasing some of its mistakes at receiver, so they take a guy who’s a pretty sure thing from a program they know well.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer, SI did a mock, for those interested

when i 1st looked at the list, i was wondering how long ago this was done but i see it was done yesterday.  that said, and though rest of season has yet to be played, i'm gonna guess we'll be picking a lot further down than 15th.  also was kinda surprised to see mayfield not being picked sooner since, as we know, qb's are hard to find and there are a ton of qb-needy teams in the top half of the draft.

48 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

when i 1st looked at the list, i was wondering how long ago this was done but i see it was done yesterday.  that said, and though rest of season has yet to be played, i'm gonna guess we'll be picking a lot further down than 15th.  also was kinda surprised to see mayfield not being picked sooner since, as we know, qb's are hard to find and there are a ton of qb-needy teams in the top half of the draft.

Mayfield though seems a bit polarizing -- size, off-field baggage, wonder if he feels a bit like Manziel to some teams.  

I've written off Barkley.  It's clearly not realistic unless we hit a long losing streak.  I've watched some Guice this season and today in particular -- comes off to me very enticing.  He's explosive, good balance, good hands, home-run threat.  I'd love to have someone like that dude on our roster. 

He's a different type of running back than Cook and Kamara.  Those were the guys I was most hyped about last time (both looked good this season in the NFL until Cook got hurt).  But to me what he has in common with those guys is the explosiveness.  

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/nfl-scout-half-nfl-teams-take-derrius-guice-fournette?utm_campaign=SF_SECCountryLSU&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Many expect Leonard Fournette to be a first-round draft pick this spring. But one scout thinks fellow LSU RB Derrius Guice may actually be the better NFL prospect.

Bleacher Report’s Matt Hayes wrote Tuesday about how Guice’s upbringing shaped him as a player. Hayes asked one NFL talent evaluator about Guice’s pro future, and his response was glowing.

“The way (Guice) runs, my guess is half or more (of teams in the league) would take him over Fournette right now,” an anonymous AFC scout told Hayes.

Guice will be eligible to declare for the draft after next season. He has 1,249 rushing yards and 14 rushing touchdowns this season. And Guice will get a chance to add to those numbers in the Citrus Bowl. He will start for the Tigers against Louisville since Fournette is skipping the game to get healthier before the 2017 draft process begins.

The scout pointed to Guice’s relentless, determined running style as the reason many teams might like the sophomore over Fournette. He said Guice “runs like he might never run again.” He said teams want that kind of desire in their running backs.

“You have to understand, it’s not just highlight plays in this league,” the scout said. “It’s the ability to grind over four quarters, and yeah, it’s absolutely the want and desire to run the ball.”

****ing. Sold.

This is going to be a quasi-unpopular decision but I would be fine trading Kirk or letting him walk if it meant Mayfield is our guy. I love his pocket presence and playmaking ability when things break down. He gives me that Russell Wilson vibe. Pairing Mayfield with Doctson gives me happy thoughts. I really hope it doesn't take a first to get him.

I really want to see him play Miami.

Nyheim Hines will probably return for his senior year, but when he becomes available, the Redskins should draft him. He's a beast between the tackles with the ability to take it to the house and is dangerous as a pass receiver on any down. Just what the Redskins need.

1 hour ago, squatch66 said:

****ing. Sold.

This is going to be a quasi-unpopular decision but I would be fine trading Kirk or letting him walk if it meant Mayfield is our guy. I love his pocket presence and playmaking ability when things break down. He gives me that Russell Wilson vibe. Pairing Mayfield with Doctson gives me happy thoughts. I really hope it doesn't take a first to get him.

I really want to see him play Miami.

Yeah....It just seems like it's time to move on from Cousins. Let him find the pasture he desires.

I just had a terrifying thought. We know how this front office likes to make a splash. It would not surprise me to see them tag and trade Cousins and make a run at Lamar Jackson. It would instantly reenergize the fan base and give the team a new face of the franchise to sell jerseys and tickets.

I don't know how I feel about this. He has games where he looks good and games where he doesn't. Dude could be another Deshaun Watson with the ability to really run. If the dude panned out we would be dominant.

Right now we are looking at a pick somewhere in the middle of the first round. Jackson might be able to be had in that range.

I gotta say, I wonder what RG3 could have been if he had had his head on straight. Maybe the fo is thinking the same thing.

And now back to my mancrush ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000875152/article/scouting-mayfield-vs-tcu-sooners-qb-worthy-of-firstround-pick

Archived