Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

My draft needs: 

Offense:  starting WR, RB that can play all 3 downs, blocking TE, starting LG or C

Defense: starting MLB, DT rotation guy

Assumptions:  We keep Kirk and MLB Brown and Breeland.  If we lose Breeland, we need a backup CB.  If we lose Kirk or Brown, we need a starter to replace them.

Draft order in a perfect world: 

1st:  MLB (Roquon Smith or wait)

2nd: Oline

3rd: WR

4th: DT

5th: RB

6th: TE

7th: ??

I don't think we will pick a WR high enough to get a starter.  Hopefully we have a 2nd year step up or get one via free agency.  Stud MLBs set the tone for a defense.  Let's get one to match with Brown. 

If we lose Kirk, draft QB in 2nd or 3rd and sit him until Colt falters (or Casey Keenum!!!)

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Check out play at 1:40... not his best game but had to show what a reunion with Allen might be like. Much better film this year. I gotta admit, this guy would be tempting to take in 2nd round for sure, maybe even 1st

I mentioned him awhile back as a potential nose.  He seems more like Tomlinson than Allen.  But we can use a big dude who can stuff the ran.  He has some pass rush to him, too.  Maybe a mix of Tomlinson and Allen?  Both guys played well this year when they were on the field.

4 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Damn, Vea is one strong man. I would nt be least bit upset if he was our 1st rounder

Baltimore who runs a 3-4 always seem to have that massive run stuffing nose like a Vea or Payne.    Love the same here for a change.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Remember guys, BPA.  Instead of getting too wrapped up in position, think about how you'd rank the prospect relative to the other guys in the draft.

We go through this every year, and I'm a BPA guy. But so many guys grade evenly, it usually is a choice between various positions. 

9 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

We go through this every year, and I'm a BPA guy. But so many guys grade evenly, it usually is a choice between various positions. 

I agree. In the likely range we are picking you will have a hand full of players evenly graded. The expception being when someone drops, just like Allen did. The bonus there was we wanted him all along.

Its interesting because the whole BPA thing is taking on a new meaning with a front office in place and seeing how they view players.

- Since we seem to value tall, rangy corners, I wonder how we would feel about a guy like Denzel Ward, who some scouts have rated as the best corner on the board. If he dropped to us, would we have him ranked as the BPA or as just another guy?

- Similarly we seem to LOVE big running backs. We've picked up Thompson, Marshall and Bibbs, who seem to have some shiftyness to their game, so would we value Saquon Barkley like other teams would?

- At WR (and I wonder if this was a fight between scouts and coaches), we picked up Crowder as an exception, but otherwise we've brought in Doctson, Davis, Harris and FAs Pryor and Quick. Even our UDFAs have been big guys. So would we sleep on a Christian Kirk?

- At OLB/DE, it seems like we go more after the size guys with strength over speed. So I wonder how that impacts our BPA rankings.

- At QB, we (Gruden) likes Cousins, but he also brought in Colt, who is a completely different QB than Cousins. We also have a front office that drafted RG3, so I wonder if they'll fall for Lamar Jackson. But I wonder if we would go after a guy like Luke Falk.

What I can't tell is how we'll rank Roquan Smith. Rumors are that we liked Reuben Foster last year and were trying to trade back into the first to get him. So I wonder if we view them as similar players, if Brown's play lessened our interest there, or just what we're looking for in the position. I also wonder if we would go after a guy like Bradley Chubb on the DL if he drops out of the top 10. Would he be good to pair with Allen on our DL, or is that redundancy?

And side note, Luke Falk is my sleeper in the draft right now. The more I read about him, the more i like him. He's been compared to Cousins, seems to have off the field drive, can make all the throws.

The Skins currently carry six young WRs on the roster:

Crowder 24

Doctson 25

Davis  22

Grant 27

Mo Harris 25

Quick 28

I don't think the roster can handle more than 6 WRs because Jordan Reed is essentially a possession WR.  Gruden's WCO doesn't seem to feature any particular WR - so do the Skins really need to draft a #1 WR?  Or, can we count on some of these young WRs to continue to improve?  I think Crowder, Doctson, and Grant are absolute locks for the roster barring injury.  A productive veteran WR could add to the mix more so than a rookie WR IMO.  Quick/Pryor were supposed to handle that role but Pryor didn't pan out for this offense.  I think I would pass on WR in the draft all else being equal. 

I know it is extremely early to talk 2018 draft but I couldn't help but post this one. Can you imagine how quickly this board would crash if this was our pick? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-john-elways-broncos-take-chance-on-super-talented-josh-allen/

I do not know Chris Trapasso with CBS Sports but my guess is that he doesn't get many picks right

WAS.png14. Washington Redskins

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State. This is a selection that is literally turned in within seconds of Washington going on the clock. Yes, the Redskins like Samaje Perine but Barkley is a different animal. The two runners will formulate a fun backfield duo in the nation's capital.

32 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

I know it is extremely early to talk 2018 draft but I couldn't help but post this one. Can you imagine how quickly this board would crash if this was our pick? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-john-elways-broncos-take-chance-on-super-talented-josh-allen/

I do not know Chris Trapasso with CBS Sports but my guess is that he doesn't get many picks right

WAS.png14. Washington Redskins

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State. This is a selection that is literally turned in within seconds of Washington going on the clock. Yes, the Redskins like Samaje Perine but Barkley is a different animal. The two runners will formulate a fun backfield duo in the nation's capital.

This is my dream, re sign Kirk, Brown... find a way to draft the best back in the draft and continue to build the lines. I would rather have him than another receiver 

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

The Skins currently carry six young WRs on the roster:

Crowder 24

Doctson 25

Davis  22

Grant 27

Mo Harris 25

Quick 28

I don't think the roster can handle more than 6 WRs because Jordan Reed is essentially a possession WR.  Gruden's WCO doesn't seem to feature any particular WR - so do the Skins really need to draft a #1 WR?  Or, can we count on some of these young WRs to continue to improve?  I think Crowder, Doctson, and Grant are absolute locks for the roster barring injury.  A productive veteran WR could add to the mix more so than a rookie WR IMO.  Quick/Pryor were supposed to handle that role but Pryor didn't pan out for this offense.  I think I would pass on WR in the draft all else being equal. 

I agree with a lot of this, however...

Quick is a FA. 

I like Harris, but I’m not sure that his ceiling is very high.  He doesn’t seem to have the burst to separate much and obviously doesn’t have deep speed to run by defenders.  If he can fine tune his route running (to go with his height and hands) he could develop into a consistent chain mover though, and that would be a big help.  

Grant’s been a pleasant surprise, but I think his ceiling isn’t far off.  Maybe he can be a James Jones for us - a #4 that can fill in if needed.  

At the moment, I think at best you could call Doctson a low end #2.  I have faith he will improve on that, but there’s no telling how much.  

Love Davis’ potential.  He has the highest ceiling of the bunch (IMO), but he also has the lowest floor.  

Crowder had a rough year.  I still consider him one of the better true slot receivers in the game (ie. leaving off outside guys that take some snaps from the slot - Beckham, Jones, etc.).  

Agree that this offense doesn’t need a true #1, but it can certainly make use of a dynamic receiver.  I think the team needs to look at adding a FA receiver that has flashed some of that dynamism (not a Quick type... maybe someone like John Brown?), while looking for the same in the draft.  As far as I can tell, Round 2 is looking like the sweet spot for receivers, but there will be intriguing guys later, too.  

The team needs to work on pushing Grant down the depth chart, and Harris and Davis to the edge of the bubble until they show more.  

Two new guys to challenge Doctson for the #1 and #2 spots would be ideal, IMO.  

33 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Barkley is not getting out of the top-5.  14 is laughable. 

Agree.  I am looking forward to watch Bryce Love in a few minutes.  If he comes out he might be available at our pick.  Ditto Guice.  Dan if you want to sell jerseys -- forget Mayfield, I bet Love could sell a whole bunch, too.  :)

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  I am looking forward to watch Bryce Love in a few minutes.  If he comes out he might be available at our pick.  Ditto Guice.  Dan if you want to sell jerseys -- forget Mayfield, I bet Love could sell a whole bunch, too.  :)

The running back is back and has been for a few years now IMO as a reaction to NASCAR packages. Ive been reading rumblings about the depth of this RB class, plus the potential influx of QBs pushing Barkley down but not that far down. It'll be interesting to see where Guice's stock ends up when it's all said and done but he's absolutely a first round talent. Reminds me a little bit of pre-injury Jonathan Stewart. 

8 hours ago, maxiumone said:

Bryce Love is a man. That is all

With a bum ankle, the dude still was so quick. He is in and out of his cuts so fast.  He looks faster than Chris Thompson.  My one thing is since we have a small back with quickness in Thompson is Love redundant.  But the more I reflect on it, Thompson is injury prone and isn't that young anymore.  I wouldn't mind Love.  He caught a ball in that game.  He hasn't really caught that many balls in his career unlike McCaffrey so I wonder about his hands. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With a bum ankle, the dude still was so quick. He is in and out of his cuts so fast.  He looks faster than Chris Thompson.  My one thing is since we have a small back with quickness in Thompson is Love redundant.  But the more I reflect on it, Thompson is injury prone and isn't that young anymore.  I wouldn't mind Love.  He caught a ball in that game.  He hasn't really caught that many balls in his career unlike McCaffrey so I wonder about his hands. 

Agree on the hands thing. But the kid is a tough sob. That last game of the season he was a beast. He would make a twenty yard run and limp off the field then come back in and do it again

Archived