Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

Just my own sense of things, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say this FO is actually enamored with Josh Allen (wyoming). 

For me, I'm just flummoxed that I even have to come to the realization that this FO would be seriously making plans in lieu of actually having Cousins. Really, that's just more of the same from this shadow politburo FO.

Which says nothing of my opinion on Allen. But, as per that, it's up and down when grading him. Up here in that skillset, down there in that mechanic, up with this trait, down with that efficiency. Just overall, up and down. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My best guess is no one.  I think Kirk is here at least through 2018.   But if I had to play along Mason Rudolph or Luke Falk and we go 3-13 and try again in 2019. 

I don't get why anyone thinks that. It seems pretty clear the Redskins are kind of through with him - they have zero intention of getting into a bidding war and I don't believe they think the franchise tag is an option at all. All the reports seem to be pointing that way and his dad made it seem like he doesn't really want to be here anyway. Both sides will likely just go their separate ways. 

My Christmas Draft List

(assumption:  we are drafting somewhere near pick 12)

1) Meanest, fastest middle linebacker

2) Highest ranked G/C (interchangeable with #3)

3) Speedy RB that weighs more that 205 lbs. (interchangeable with #2)

4) QB (interchangeable with #5)

5) Meanest, fastest middle linebacker #2 (interchangeable with #4)

6) BPA

7) BPA

For the most part, I like BPA for 1 - 7, and I don't know how the positions I mentioned fit with this years crop of seniors.  I think or Dline will be good enough when the injured players are back next year.  Assuming we sign the players we need too, our Dbacks will be okay and Brown will be back at MLB.  I think we need a vet receiver and a vet RB.  May not need the vet RB if we draft someone skilled enough. 

Is it possible we will move LB Anderson to an inside LB position?  He has been okay for a rookie, but our OLB shelf is pretty full.  With an off-season to learn, the question is: Is he fast enough.

My Christmas Playoff List was going to start with away game against the Rams.  But.........

1 hour ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I don't get why anyone thinks that. It seems pretty clear the Redskins are kind of through with him - they have zero intention of getting into a bidding war and I don't believe they think the franchise tag is an option at all. All the reports seem to be pointing that way and his dad made it seem like he doesn't really want to be here anyway. Both sides will likely just go their separate ways. 

Most insiders seem to think he will be back at least for 2018 but a few don't.  Count me among those who think he's at least back in 2018. Got my doubts about a LTD.  But this is the draft thread not the Kirk thread.  I picked Rudolph partly because he'd likely be available in the range of the Redskins pick (Allen, Jackson, Darnold, Rosen all likely going before their pick).  Later in the draft: Luke Falk maybe.  Ryan Finlay?   All wild cards IMO.  So if its adios Kirk and welcome name that project -- I think the odds are better that they go 3-13 then they are being one of the rare lucky ones to strike gold in the draft.

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

My Christmas Draft List

Roquan Smith.   Rashann Evans -- intriguing to adding another Alabama stud.

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

if we get lucky and he falls to the mid first, he'd be my pick:   Quenton Nelson.  

There are other Alabama guys who IMO are fun watches including this guy

Draft Order after last night's loss:

2018 NFL Draft order

# Team W L T W% SoS %
1 Browns 0 11 0 0.000 0.5284
2 49ers 1 10 0 0.091 0.5337
3 Giants 2 9 0 0.182 0.5111
4 Broncos 3 8 0 0.273 0.4831
5 Colts 3 8 0 0.273 0.4886
6 Bears 3 8 0 0.273 0.5568
7 Texans (pick belongs to CLE) 4 7 0 0.364 0.5114
8 Jets 4 7 0 0.364 0.5170
9 Dolphins 4 7 0 0.364 0.5511
10 Buccaneers 4 7 0 0.364 0.5625
11 Washington 5 7 0 0.417 0.5225

I'm a little confused by those thinking Luke Faulk. Is it because of the Kirk comparisons? 

I have said this many times, but this is the first time that Gruden will be able to pick his guy and I think he prefers someone with a lot more mobility and athleticism (which is why I also don't think Rudolph will be his ideal choice either though I do like Rudolph).  Just from things that Jay has said, I think he loves players that can improvise or make things happen when the play breaks down and are able to throw on the run.  Also they run a ton of quick screens and Faulk throws A LOT of short passes and if there is anything we have learned it's that Gruden wants someone who isn't afraid to throw down the field. 

Outside of the usuals discussed here.... I'm intrigued by Riley Ferguson, Ryan Finley, and Jarrett Stidham (of those Ferguson would be my preference)

22 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Question. 

Hiw is would all feel drafting a stud interior defensive lineman. 

Or or would you stick with Iionadis (spelling?). 

I was was reading about Wilkins from Clemson. 

Just wondering?  

I think having one more run stuffing, pocket collapsing defensive lineman would be huge to keep Ionnidas and Allen fresh.  A solid 3 man rotation would be huge for the line.

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

Question. 

Hiw is would all feel drafting a stud interior defensive lineman. 

Or or would you stick with Iionadis (spelling?). 

I was was reading about Wilkins from Clemson. 

Just wondering?  

There are some potential good D lineman.  For the moment, i like Payne from Alabama.  He's big enough to play nose, brings some pass rush too.  Both Alabama D lineman drafted this year:  Allen and Tomlinson did well this season.

He's on my radar screen.  Clearly, they need another D lineman.  And Payne can be the first true good nose tackle they've had.  I recall Tomsula saying something to the effect that he doesn't like the big fat nose tackle types.  Payne I think then would be the right size versus lets say Vea.

20 hours ago, SlkyCaramel said:

I'm a little confused by those thinking Luke Faulk. Is it because of the Kirk comparisons? 

I have said this many times, but this is the first time that Gruden will be able to pick his guy and I think he prefers someone with a lot more mobility and athleticism (which is why I also don't think Rudolph will be his ideal choice either though I do like Rudolph).  Just from things that Jay has said, I think he loves players that can improvise or make things happen when the play breaks down and are able to throw on the run.  Also they run a ton of quick screens and Faulk throws A LOT of short passes and if there is anything we have learned it's that Gruden wants someone who isn't afraid to throw down the field. 

Outside of the usuals discussed here.... I'm intrigued by Riley Ferguson, Ryan Finley, and Jarrett Stidham (of those Ferguson would be my preference)

Let me preface any QB conversation with I find the topic nauseating versus exciting because to me it means we are back to the bottom of the NFC East for likely a long time.

Getting that off my chest again :), and Dan-Bruce decide to take the dumb plunge back to the basement.  Some ideas as to how to get back to that bottom. 

First this article: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-owner-mike-brown-i-wanted-to-draft-colin-kaepernick/

Based on preferring Dalton over Kaepernick in the draft and what went down here -- I heavily suspect Jay prefers a QB that fits his WCO system.  The gun-slinger, scrambling mindset is likely a bonus versus his top desire.     Dalton played in a spread offense but it appeared like Jay saw Dalton as having the right skill set to play in his WCO scheme. 

I've watched a lot of the QBs this season but not to the degree where I studied them.  Assuming Darnold and Rosen are out of reach.   My  superficial thumb nail sketch:

Mayfield:  I've watched him a lot including right now.   But a spread QB who plays out of the shotgun, short and not exactly stocky. He doesn't look like he's built to last.  And you got to wonder a little about his attitude.  I'm not saying he won't be successful but he doesn't strike me a match here.  I get the people who believe in him.  I personally don't have a strong feeling one way or another on it.  I tend to be more cynical about Big 12 QBs considering the weak defenses they face.  

Jackson:  seems an RG3 clone so hard to see them touching him.

Allen:  He's the one guy I haven't watched at all.  I've seen some highlights and read reports.  On one hand, I can see Bruce/Dan falling in love with his skill set thinking he's the next Wentz.  But Jay in year 5 going with a raw project at QB -- someone who struggled with low level competition this season?  Hard to see it.  Having said that its clear that if Dan is excited about a QB (RG3, McNabb, Ramsey) he's willing to stuff it down the coaches throat.  So you never know. 

Though Mayfield to me is a neon lights level type that Dan would fall in love with.  Big name. Brash.  He'd sell jerseys before he steps on the field.  Perfect.  If I had to pick one guy that would lessen the sting with some fans (not me) to lose Kirk -- Mayfield would be that guy because you can override the hype of losing Kirk with similar hype and all the attention you get with Mayfield.  Actually it would be the classic Dan move.  He'd likely have to trade up (but maybe not) but since when has that stopped him -- especially for QBs?

If Dan enjoyed going bowling and hanging out with RG3 -- imagine Mayfield?  RG3 is sort of the nerdy cool guy.  Mayfield is sort of the cool-bad boy -- much more exciting hang for Dan I think with Mayfield.  I am only being a little sarcastic. :)  I've commented on Mayfield on this point before but really digesting it hard now -- how can Dan resist Mayfield?  Mayfield is the perfect player marriage I think for him. 

Rudolph:  I keep coming back to him because I think he's the likely mid first rounder in the mix of QBs.  Spread offense.  Same program that brought us B. Weeden who also put up big numbers in that program.  He's a big guy, who can move some.  Not as talented as Allen but less risky IMO.  do I think he will succeed in the NFL.  Honestly, I got no idea.  It's just that most QBs who aren't the top 2 guys in the draft -- fail or just reach mediocrity.  For every D. Watson you got many more Christian Ponders.    That goes triple once you go to the later rounds.

Edit:  I think its hard to judge QBs who played in the Big 12 -- they mostly play in the spread, out of the shot gun and against atrocious defenses.  So you got to project how these same guys will do in an NFL offense, playing under center and against much better defenses.  That's not easy to do.   It's not apples to apples.  Many draft geeks including Scot have talked about that.  These college Qbs who put up video game like numbers look invincible in that context.  But does it project in a totally different context?  You got me.  And if some of the best scouts say its really hard for them to make these projections -- tough for me to stake a hard claim one way or another from my couch.   For example, I don't think its an accident that projections on Mayfield depending on the source ranges from a top 5 pick to a 4th rounder. 

Not saying you are suggesting otherwise.  I am just bringing home why I agree with those who see the QB position as somewhat of a crap shoot in the draft especially when the QB in play didn't run an NFL style offense in college.   It's not hard IMO to see why so many hyped college QBs fail in the NFL.  But to me that point is amped even more when talking about Big 12 QBs.

2 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Has anyone paid close attention to Clayton Thorson?  I've seen three different mock drafts that have the Redskins taking him in the 3rd round. 

Scouts have suggested that he will return to school next year if he is not considered a 1st rounder in 2018. That being said...Thorson has tremendous arm strength with the ability to make most throws required by an NFL QB. He also has the ability to run for additional yards when the play breaks down. He has been praised by his coaches and teammates for his dedication, leadership and intelligence. Some have stated that he tries to do too much and suggest he would be a 1st rounder if he were at a larger program. NFL coaches are going to fall in love with him...I doubt he falls into the 3rd round.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Scouts have suggested that he will return to school next year if he is not considered a 1st rounder in 2018. That being said...Thorson has tremendous arm strength with the ability to make most throws required by an NFL QB. He also has the ability to run for additional yards when the play breaks down. He has been praised by his coaches and teammates for his dedication, leadership and intelligence. Some have stated that he tries to do too much and suggest he would be a 1st rounder if he were at a larger program. NFL coaches are going to fall in love with him...I doubt he falls into the 3rd round.

Apparently there have been multiple reports this month that he's entering the draft (but the fact that from what I have read many people are pointing out that he hasn't played well at all this year concerns me):

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-100

On the quarterback front I was very surprised to learn from multiple sources that a pair of Big Ten quarterbacks, Tanner Lee of Nebraska and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, are both heavily leaning towards entering the draft. 

Some are of the opinion it’s a foregone conclusion.

As one insider told me it was “one foot in the door, one foot out the door” for both signal callers before the season even began and that it would’ve taken something major for both to return to school. 

Despite the fact neither has played particularly well this season, I’m told the unimpressive play by the top-rated quarterbacks is making the decision easier. The expectations of a coaching change at Nebraska are also pushing Lee to declare for the draft.

4 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Apparently there have been multiple reports this month that he's entering the draft:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-100

On the quarterback front I was very surprised to learn from multiple sources that a pair of Big Ten quarterbacks, Tanner Lee of Nebraska and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, are both heavily leaning towards entering the draft. 

Some are of the opinion it’s a foregone conclusion.

As one insider told me it was “one foot in the door, one foot out the door” for both signal callers before the season even began and that it would’ve taken something major for both to return to school. 

Despite the fact neither has played particularly well this season, I’m told the unimpressive play by the top-rated quarterbacks is making the decision easier. The expectations of a coaching change at Nebraska are also pushing Lee to declare for the draft.

He had a weak game against Wisconsin's dominate defense mainly due to his weak offensive line and he took several unnecessary sacks because he held onto the ball way too long. Northwestern was able to make it a game but he threw two interceptions while he was under pressure and took a safety on 2nd and 3rd with about a minute remaining to end any chance Northwestern had of winning:

Its just hard to scout him with his offensive line being so terrible but to make a play like that at the end of the game makes me cringe.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:48 PM, ILikeBilly said:

My Christmas Draft List

3) Speedy RB that weighs more that 205 lbs. (interchangeable with #2)

4) QB (interchangeable with #5)

5) Meanest, fastest middle linebacker #2 (interchangeable with #4)

6) BPA

7) BPA

For the most part, I like BPA for 1 - 7, and I don't know how the positions I mentioned fit with this years crop of seniors.  I think or Dline will be good enough when the injured players are back next year.  Assuming we sign the players we need too, our Dbacks will be okay and Brown will be back at MLB.  I think we need a vet receiver and a vet RB.  May not need the vet RB if we draft someone skilled enough. 

Is it possible we will move LB Anderson to an inside LB position?  He has been okay for a rookie, but our OLB shelf is pretty full.  With an off-season to learn, the question is: Is he fast enough.

My Christmas Playoff List was going to start with away game against the Rams.  But.........

While I like the idea of Anderson moving inside, 1) I’d rather bring back Brown and Foster, 2) Murphy and Galette are both FAs and Smith hits FA next year, so we may have to rely on Anderson contributing at OLB next year, and 3) assuming we re-sign Brown and maybe Foster... we still wouldn’t have a good ILB to use in coverage.  

Which is where your wishlist comes into play.  A good, well rounded ILB would be a really nice addition to this D.  

We’ve been very unlucky in terms of injuries to our O and D lines.  With the potential loss of Nsheke to FA (as well as Lauvao), I’d be down with an early round G/T.  We don’t seem to have a good dlineman for our base D and our nickel D really dropped off when we lost Allen (and Ioannidas for a time).  Another spot I’d like to see an early round pick.  

Bottom line, I think continuing to bolster our lines is the best thing we can do for both sides of the ball.  

Last one (in rounds 1-3) for me is receiver.  I’d bring back Quick and hope an early round receiver could start at some point in their rookie campaign.  Preferably someone with pretty good speed... or at least someone that can create separation.  

ILB falls just after those guys for me, but that’s if we bring back Brown and Foster, or at least have Brown and Spaight.  If Brown isn’t back, ILB jumps to our top need.  

14 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Id take Kerryon Johnson in a heartbeat in the second round. The explosion he is able to generate with no downhill momentum at his back is ridiculous and he's a very good receiver. One of the more underrated draft eligible players ATM. 

Don't be surprised if he is available in the 3rd considering how deep this years draft class is at RB.

Archived