Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

15 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

ESPN is really pumping Josh Allen up.  It’s kind of disgusting 

I agree.  I am no expert.  I am just not a big fan of his game.  I am not sure what it is about him specifically, just something to me. 

I would never say a player will be a bust, because I just do not like to do that, I just would not draft him.

I forget the person who has been following him from week 1. I've kept an eye on him and he had a very subpar year. That really doesn't mean he's not NFL grade QB, but some of the eye tests just don't pass.

Someone who I did think passed the eye test for comparison purposes was Blake Bortles a few years ago. I remember before he was even in the 1st round discussion I saw him play early and said he's got it. Not that he's a world beater in NFL, but there is something to the eye test and Allen doesn't have it

Reading a little into the tea leaves and my deduction could be off.  My take from listening to Doug William's 980 interview yesterday is that he thinks the roster is close to being there (when healthy) and it needs tinkering not so much overhauling.  He played up needs on the defensive side of the ball. 

My take is if the front office plays the Kirk contract dumbly and lets him go -- they might not be thinking draft at the position but FA/trade.  Doug doesn't give me any confidence when I listen to him talk football but the dude seems like such a nice dude and honest that I take the things he slips out in conversation more seriously than I do Bruce. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He played up needs on the defensive side of the ball. 

Re-signing Breeland and/or chasing Logan in FA would be on my wish list.

If Logan didn't happen I'd want a DT in the draft, but that aside get me a high end Zach Brown type athlete in the draft to fill an inside backer berth alongside Brown plus another prospect at safety. We'd be pretty well stacked then.

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

I forget the person who has been following him from week 1. I've kept an eye on him and he had a very subpar year. That really doesn't mean he's not NFL grade QB, but some of the eye tests just don't pass.

Someone who I did think passed the eye test for comparison purposes was Blake Bortles a few years ago. I remember before he was even in the 1st round discussion I saw him play early and said he's got it. Not that he's a world beater in NFL, but there is something to the eye test and Allen doesn't have it

You aren't the only one who sees it.

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000896508/article/scouting-josh-allen-in-potato-bowl-shades-of-blake-bortles?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3dstory&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3dcollege-football&p.ct=CFB 24%2f7&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23ffffff&p.bgc1m=%23000000&sr=amp&__twitter_impression=true

27 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I'd be ecstatic if we landed Roquan Smith...Dude can flat out play and is a bonafide playmaker. Probably need to root for Denver for this to happen

I am jumping ahead some but if 5 QBs go top 10 or before our pick, guys like Smith might drop.   Before our pick we likely have:  Browns, Giants, Jets, Cards, Denver who all need a QB.   I have mixed feelings about Darnold coming out.  On one hand it might help us land someone like Smith on the other hand I don't want him playing for the Giants. 

I would really like Ronald Jones II as a second round pick for us. He reminds me a bit of Jamaal Charles. Maybe not entirely as fast but he possesses great speed as well and can also take it to the house any given play - something our offense lacks from my point of view. He also has a great quickness and makes fast cuts. He might lack a bit of size but his frame is probably not maxed out yet, so he might be able to add a bit of weight.

He could be a bit better in pass protection and as a receiver but we also still have Chris Thompson as a third down running back and we could use Perine for short yardage situations. That would be a nice complementary set of running backs.

13 hours ago, Panninho said:

I would really like Ronald Jones II as a second round pick for us. He reminds me a bit of Jamaal Charles. Maybe not entirely as fast but he possesses great speed as well and can also take it to the house any given play - something our offense lacks from my point of view. He also has a great quickness and makes fast cuts. He might lack a bit of size but his frame is probably not maxed out yet, so he might be able to add a bit of weight.

He could be a bit better in pass protection and as a receiver but we also still have Chris Thompson as a third down running back and we could use Perine for short yardage situations. That would be a nice complementary set of running backs.

I was just going over some of the top rated running backs stats, Jones stacked well he's tops among the big prospects in TDs.  Here's YPA

1. Bryce Love 8.3

2. Damien Harris 8.2

3. Sony Michael 7.2

4. Nick Chubb 6.2

5. Ronald Jones 6.1

6. Saquon Barkley 5.7

7. Derrius Guice 5.3

About Jones.  Cooley's joke about the scouting staff here on running back is that they are allergic to running backs with speed/elusiveness.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-ronald-jones-20171213-story.html

“He’s a freak,” Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez said earlier this year. “He gets to full speed in a hurry. His fast is fast.”

Yeah, he has a personal best of 10.36 in the 100m I think that says enough. This dude can fly. I also just saw, that he was named to the PFF All-American 1st team.

If this guys is doing good at the combine he might shoot up draft boards. Apparently he also averaged 3.5 yards after contact per rush.

Man I love his one cut running style. Also only fumbled two times during his three college seasons and not a single time in 2017.

47 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Yeah, he has a personal best of 10.36 in the 100m I think that says enough. This dude can fly. I also just saw, that he was named to the PFF All-American 1st team.

If this guys is doing good at the combine he might shoot up draft boards. Apparently he also averaged 3.5 yards after contact per rush.

Man I love his one cut running style. Also only fumbled two times during his three college seasons and not a single time in 2017.

He's intriguing I agree.  I like the idea of adding a guy with speed/acceleration/home run hitter type.

Metric wise and reputation wise I find Damien Harris might be a fit.   As Cooley likes to point out with this team's subpar blocking you need a guy who can either make people miss or can make yards after contact since lanes get clogged up quickly at the point of attack.  Harris seems to fit the profile.  I also like that he's under 6 foot and more of a bowling ball type of running back.  I prefer them over the taller, longer strider types.   Harris is actually somewhere in between the two types.

He's runs well with limited carries.  Check.

He was PFF's 2nd highest rated RB for elusiveness.  Check.

PFF's highest rated for yards after contact.  Check.

Reputation wise he has good hands and is a good pass protector.  Check.

He seems to fit the things that work here.  He's 8.2 yards per carry is sick.

Completely agree, Harris is also a great talent. Pretty deep draft for running backs this year. Will be interesting to see how they are doing against Ohio State and Clemson.

But for once I hope we don't ignore the running back positions until the later rounds in the draft.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Completely agree, Harris is also a great talent. Pretty deep draft for running backs this year. Will be interesting to see how they are doing against Ohio State and Clemson.

But for once I hope we don't ignore the running back positions until the later rounds in the draft.

I haven't watched a lot of PAC 12 this year.  So I haven't seen a lot of Bryce Love but when I have he comes off to me very tempting.   Last year on this thread, I was big on Cook and Kamara. More so Cook.  What I liked about both is it was just hard to miss how explosive they were.   Love is insane in that department.  And he isn't just a scat back type, he can run inside, break tackles, etc.  Though not sure if he's going to come out.

Barkley I presume is off the table because he's likely going top 5.  But after that, lots of candy in the candy store:  Guice, Love, Harris, R. Jones, S. Michel, K. Johnson.   I am thinking Chubb, Scarbrough might be too close to the Perine profile to be on their radar. 

Then you got the next tier like R. Penny, A. Wadley, etc.  They can get a good one next draft

Heisman finalist Bryce Love gained 1,070 rushing yards after contact this season - third-most in the country.

DQ74p-WWAAAbwCV.jpg

Skins have done a good job over the last few years stocking up on solid depth players.  Unfortunately, they have a dearth of difference makers  -- I think the first and second round busts are what is keeping the Skins from breaking from mediocrity:

1st - Brandon Scherff OG  - will be great for a long period of time (we hope).  No matter how well he plays he's not going to overcome poor play by other OL.  Arguable whether similar quality could have been obtained with a lower pick.

1st - Jonathan Allen DL - may be the one difference maker.  Too early to tell but promising

2nd - Ryan Anderson LB - too early to tell

1st - Josh Doctson WR - slow to develop - after 2 years is not a difference maker

2nd - Preston Smith OLB - solid but not a difference maker.  Skins hope he can continue to improve

2nd - Trent Murphy OLB - always a tweener.  His best year came with PED.  Otherwise, he was just a guy

2nd - Sua Cravens OLB/S - head case.  Bust

1st - RG3 - Bust

1st - RG3 - Bust

1st - RG3 - Bust

2nd - RG3 - Bust

So out of eleven first and second round picks there are no confirmed difference makers.  Gruden would look a lot smarter if more of the picks had panned out for the Skins.  

More and more I watch on these RB's the more I can't see Skins passing up a RB in the 1st round. 

Harris looks like a damn Emmitt Smith clone, scary. Barkley remains a #1 overall for me. Love, Guice and Jones make having a top tier RB at 15-17 a virtual lock.

Here's the thing, to me it's beyond need at this point. I can't think our Line is that bad. I think a real RB will add literally a YPC to our average. Time to put attention to this position.

From there, continue to get depth at D and WR. We pretty much are bringing back a fairly deep defense from front to back if we sign Brown. Draft depth at all 3 layers and hope to hit some talent in 2-3-4th rounds. 

If we went RB-DL-DB-LB I would be ecstatic. I am a BPA guy, but if you have a bunch of guys who are marginal in talent than default to need is the way to go. 

I listened to Cooley this morning who had Portis on.  They were talking some draft, needs.  Some small nuggets:

Cooley said he heard that Jay's #1 want in the last draft was Reuben Foster.  Cooley doubled down again on Troy Fumagalli at tight end. Portis played up Gesicki and Cooley said he liked him too but not as much.   Both guys think running back is the top need.   

Sounds like though Jay disagrees with that -- heard a recent interview from him on the position and he seemed to imply he thinks they are set at it for next season.  Hopefully, that was just standard coach speak.  Chris Russell was just going on about how he heard they strongly considered drafting Dalvin Cook.  I recall Keim said the same thing back then.

Albert Breer just wrote an article saying here some of the things he's heard talking to various executives and working on a mock based on it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/27/2018-nfl-mock-draft-notes-marcus-davenport-quenton-nelson-tremaine-edmunds-derwin-james

You might have never heard of the guy I had to keep moving up. I mentioned UTSA edge rusher Marcus Davenport—a 6' 7" freak of a receiver-turned-pass rusher—a few weeks back. I didn’t have him in my early November mock. I put him at the end of the first round in the initial list I put together this time around, and then multiple execs told me he’s not getting out of the Top 15. I wound up putting him at 14, behind only Chubb among rushers, and Davenport clearly has a chance to rise higher. 

You probably have heard of the guy I keep moving down. Florida State safety Derwin James arrived in Tallahassee in 2015, and his freakish play as a true freshman conjured images of super-sized safeties of the past, like Sean Taylor and Kam Chancellor. Then, he blew his knee out last year, and clearly didn’t look like the same player, according to scouts, when he came back in September. The redshirt sophomore has already declared for the draft, and made the call to skip the Independence Bowl. A lot of people were talking about him as a Top-5 pick earlier in the year. I had him going 11th in early November, and he fell to 18th (to Seattle) on my latest list.

Certain pipelines have stayed in working order. Over the last few years, Clemson has grown a rep for pumping out pass rushers, and I had three Tigers defensive linemen between the 21st and 27th picks—DT Christian Wilkins, and edge rushers Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant. Alabama has pumped out field-general linebackers under Nick Saban, and Rashaan Evans, who went 28th, is the next one. Ohio State is set to send its fifth first-round corner in five draft classes, Denzel Ward, to the league. And you could say the same for Norte Dame and the aforementioned O-linemen.

...The players I’m most looking forward to watching in the playoffs are Baker Mayfield and Roquan Smith. I think Roquan Smith will be a huge part of the Bulldogs’ plans to pin Baker Mayfield in the pocket and prevent his normal theatrics. Do yourself a favor and watch Smith. He’s got the “I know where the play’s going before it goes there” thing that so many great ’backers have, and he could be an instant impact guy for a team that needs one (like Oakland) next year. I had him going 12th.

Watched the Fumagalli tape from Iowa, BYU. Mostly used for blocking with Wisco's ground and pound approach. Could see he has soft hands and decent route running. Not sure why we would go with TE in 3-4th round given our investment in that position currently. Frankly, this guys are a dime a dozen every year. Squeeze that last bit of juice out of Davis next year and continue to develop Sprinkle and draft a blocking TE next year. 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Watched the Fumagalli tape from Iowa, BYU. Mostly used for blocking with Wisco's ground and pound approach. Could see he has soft hands and decent route running. Not sure why we would go with TE in 3-4th round given our investment in that position currently. Frankly, this guys are a dime a dozen every year. Squeeze that last bit of juice out of Davis next year and continue to develop Sprinkle and draft a pass blocking TE next year. 

Cooley's take on it is that the tight ends on this team are the key cause of the running game issues.  The team's base running game is the duo and the tight ends often help foil the play because they allow the edge defenders to crash it.   He doesn't seem to think that Sprinkle fixes it or is anything special.  He thinks Reed and Davis can catch the ball but are worthless/disinterested as to blocking.   

Cooley could be wrong but considering he's talking about the position he played, he might be on to something.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley's take on it is that the tight ends on this team are the key cause of the running game issues.  The team's base running game is the duo and the tight ends often help foil the play because they allow the edge defenders to crash it.   He doesn't seem to think that Sprinkle fixes it or is anything special.  He thinks Reed and Davis can catch the ball but are worthless/disinterested as to blocking.   

Cooley could be wrong but considering he's talking about the position he played, he might be on to something.

I agree with Cooley a lot, especially at TE. So, gonna carry 4 TE's again? I'm OK with that, Paul is gone than or Sprinkle has to pass to make it to PS. Kid can block, but to use a 4th rounder for a run blocking TE, I don't know

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I agree with Cooley a lot, especially at TE. So, gonna carry 4 TE's again? I'm OK with that, Paul is gone than or Sprinkle has to pass to make it to PS. Kid can block, but to use a 4th rounder for a run blocking TE, I don't know

I haven't really paid attention to tight ends.  Probably the one I've noticed the most just from watching games is Oklahoma's Mark Andrews.  Big dude with good hands but don't know about his blocking.   For me, yeah I can relate to your point that it isn't a sexy position among the needs we have.  In theory, we are loaded at tight end.  But Cooley beats like a drum that the problem with the running game is that the edge defenders keep crashing it thanks to the receivers in tight formations or the tight ends.   He thinks they can fix it in part by running out of a wider-spread formation type of look but he says that's not how the Redskins like to run the ball. 

Cooley more or less is saying, Callahan seems to stubbornly insist on sticking to the duo and running from tight formations.  If so, the O line isn't getting beat much but the receivers and tight ends are getting manhandled.  So either you draft or bring in receivers and tight ends who can block or change the scheme.  He doesn't think they are changing the scheme so if the scheme is exposing the tight ends, you need players who won't get exposed in the scheme.

@Skinsinparadise The good news, an optimistic outlook, is that the Skins actually have depth on both sides of the ball. With all the injuries this year, we're still gonna finish 8-8.

With that, a TE in the 3rd or 4th, is in the cards. There are teams with needs across the board, IMO, the Skins aren't there. RB is clearly a need, after that it's about building the team for the future. The future needs a TE to, given Davis' age and Reed's injuries. Add the blocking component and yea, it's a good pickup

Archived