Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

14 hours ago, squatch66 said:

I just had a terrifying thought. We know how this front office likes to make a splash. It would not surprise me to see them tag and trade Cousins and make a run at Lamar Jackson. It would instantly reenergize the fan base and give the team a new face of the franchise to sell jerseys and tickets.

I wonder if it will re-energize the fan base or that he's Jay's type of QB.  Jackson seems very RG3ish as a player -- including the slender build.   As for the FO being intrigued to go for round 2 of having a slender build spread QB who can run -- anything is possible.  Though hard for me to see it being that well received by Jay or the fan base.   

The only aspect that I'd like about it is if Jay actually surprisingly endorses the idea -- if he thinks he can develop Jackson who comes off like a project as to turning him into a WCO style QB -- it would be very surprising but for that reason intriguing.  I was just reading Bucky Brooks' take of Jackson -- RG3, the more polished passer but Jackson the better runner.  If that's so, tough for me to see Jay doing cartwheels on Jackson.

The concept of drafting any QB in the mid first round and letting Kirk go makes me cringe.  I am trying to think who who will be available then - maybe Falk, Rudolph?  I doubt Jackson is still there.  Only upside to that is we likely got the first pick or 2nd in the 2019 draft.  I'd be on 2019 draft duty next Spring.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder if it will re-energize the fan base or that he's Jay's type of QB.  Jackson seems very RG3ish as a player -- including the slender build.   As for the FO being intrigued to go for round 2 of that idea -- anything is possible.  Though hard for me to see it being that well received by Jay or the fan base.   

Just say no to Jackson. Got athletic gifts galore, but is a very erratic passer, accuracy wise. Personally, I'd like him better as a wideout or wing back at the next level. He could give you that trick play option ala Hines Ward also.

Much higher on Mayfield myself also. He can run a bit too, but when he breaks contain, he's keeping his eyes downfield, looking to make plays with his arm first.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder if it will re-energize the fan base or that he's Jay's type of QB.  Jackson seems very RG3ish as a player -- including the slender build.   As for the FO being intrigued to go for round 2 of having a slender build spread QB who can run -- anything is possible.  Though hard for me to see it being that well received by Jay or the fan base.   

The only aspect that I'd like about it is if Jay actually surprisingly endorses the idea -- if he thinks he can develop Jackson who comes off like a project as to turning him into a WCO style QB -- it would be very surprising but for that reason intriguing.  I was just reading Bucky Brooks' take of Jackson -- RG3, the more polished passer but Jackson the better runner.  If that's so, tough for me to see Jay doing cartwheels on Jackson.

The concept of drafting any QB in the mid first round and letting Kirk go makes me cringe.  I am trying to think who who will be available then - maybe Falk, Rudolph?  I doubt Jackson is still there.  Only upside to that is we likely got the first pick or 2nd in the 2019 draft.  I'd be on 2019 draft duty next Spring.

5 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Just say no to Jackson. Got athletic gifts galore, but is a very erratic passer, accuracy wise. Personally, I'd like him better as a wideout or wing back at the next level. He could give you that trick play option ala Hines Ward also.

Much higher on Mayfield myself also. He can run a bit too, but when he breaks contain, he's keeping his eyes downfield, looking to make plays with his arm first.

Baker Mayfield for Redskins qb 2018

I say this based on the fact that I think Kirk is gone as soon as he can. If Kirk stays then I'm all in on Quentin Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick 

20 hours ago, squatch66 said:

I just had a terrifying thought. We know how this front office likes to make a splash. It would not surprise me to see them tag and trade Cousins and make a run at Lamar Jackson. It would instantly reenergize the fan base and give the team a new face of the franchise to sell jerseys and tickets.

I had a sick thought on this, based on our front office being idiots.  I don't actually think this, but what if they did make a run at Jackson in hopes of reenergizing the base and selling jerseys, and Lamar decides he want #11?  Funny, huh?  We could all just re-cycle our Desean jerseys.  Front office would probably force the rook to pick a different #. 

43 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

Baker Mayfield for Redskins qb 2018

I say this based on the fact that I think Kirk is gone as soon as he can. If Kirk stays then I'm all in on Quentin Nelson or Minkah Fitzpatrick 

Reading recent mocks and draft geek takes (granted its early and they can be wildly off) Mayfield is going top 5, maybe even the first pick in the draft.  If so, he might be as pie in the sky as a possibility here as Barkley is.  I am doubting the Redskins are going to do another massive draft pick giveaway trade.   So the more Mayfield keeps turning up big performances the less realistic he looks to be a possibility.    At the moment, if you want a new QB that might fall to the 15-20 range, the more likely shot would be the other big QB in Oklahoma, Mason Rudolph.

I'd love Nelson. Fitzpatrick, too.  Unless, Perine shows that he's the goods down the stretch -- I am intrigued by Guice.

1 hour ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*I've witnessed 4 OK-State games, this season...

#28 is 'ALLUVIT (All of It)'!

Big OU fan here. Hate Ok-State. I'd be all for this. The idea of Doctson and Washington if we can keep Cousins would be exciting.

I also like Baker Mayfield obviously, but his deep throws would scare me in the NFL. It always seems like his receivers will have a few steps on their guy and have to come back and fight for the ball when it falls short. He also has tendency to look for big plays instead of taking what the defense gives him which will probably get him sacked a lot at the next level, although he has really improved on that this season. But that is one thing I like about the idea of Baker in the NFL is that every year at OU he has improved. In previous years the passing game relied solely on Dede Westbrook and Sterling Shepard the year before that. This year it seems like a different receiver is making huge plays every other game. I wouldn't fear the Manziel/RG3 past with Mayfield, he reminds me of like a Philip Rivers as far as attitude.

That's just my take as a Sooner fan. If we do lose Cousins, I'll be all in for Mayfield.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, ShredSkins said:

That's just my take as a Sooner fan. If we do lose Cousins, I'll be all in for Mayfield.

I'd say Mayfield could be the perfect package personality wise for Dan.  A dude who is a brash, has some bad boy to him and has a national/big time name.  He'd sell jerseys right away.  I could see Dan really really digging it.  Having said that, I think Dan would know he'd look like the fool to trade up again for the sexy QB in the draft and it didn't pan out. Before the season, I'd say good shot Mayfield falls to the mid first or later.  It's not looking to be the case now -- though he does seem to be a polarizing prospect where some still think he shouldn't even be drafted in the first.  But judging by hype and some of the mocks I've seen -- its looking good that he goes top 10.

I've watched Mayfield some.  I haven't really studied him.   He seems to play out of the shot gun just about exclusively in the games I've seen.  Mostly one read.  Receivers often wide open.  He can scramble and throw on the move well.  But I don't really have a great feel for him.  I don't want to draft a QB so I'm purposely not paying ultra attention but its tough to miss the hype around Mayfield.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading recent mocks and draft geek takes (granted its early and they can be wildly off) Mayfield is going top 5, maybe even the first pick in the draft.  If so, he might be as pie in the sky as a possibility here as Barkley is.  I am doubting the Redskins are going to do another massive draft pick giveaway trade.   So the more Mayfield keeps turning up big performances the less realistic he looks to be a possibility.    At the moment, if you want a new QB that might fall to the 15-20 range, the more likely shot would be the other big QB in Oklahoma, Mason Rudolph.

I'd love Nelson. Fitzpatrick, too.  Unless, Perine shows that he's the goods down the stretch -- I am intrigued by Guice.

I was hopeful that he would only climb far enough for us to get him with a second but you may be right. His hype train is full steam ahead.

3 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

I had a sick thought on this, based on our front office being idiots.  I don't actually think this, but what if they did make a run at Jackson in hopes of reenergizing the base and selling jerseys, and Lamar decides he want #11?  Funny, huh?  We could all just re-cycle our Desean jerseys.  Front office would probably force the rook to pick a different #. 

That's. Hilarious. ???

On 11/15/2017 at 9:46 PM, squatch66 said:

Lamar Jackson.

L  

O    

O     

o      

o      

o      

o     

。    

。    

L

To the post above.  As for Guice, I watched last week's game, electric.

Funny I was watching Tebow of all people comment about Mayfield the other day.  Among the things he said was that Mayfield won't do well running the typical pro style system.  He doesn't have the arm for it among other reasons.  He sees him as a spread QB and you got to design an offensive specifically for his skills. 

I wouldn’t touch Mayfield with a 10ft pole. Dude is an Oompa Loompa version of Tebow imo. 

#HardHittingAnalysis 

1 hour ago, pray4surf said:

So excited about this RB class.  I can't remember the last time the draft was this deep at the RB position.  No reason for us not to come out of this next draft with a game changing stud RB.   

You can’t remember last year? 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I wouldn’t touch Mayfield with a 10ft pole. Dude is an Oompa Loompa version of Tebow imo. 

#HardHittingAnalysis 

You can’t remember last year? 

No, what did I miss?  LF was the consensus top RB then Cook.  Mixon was a 3 down back but his past made him undraftable according to our front office.  

A couple of guys look like studs and the rest...meh.   

This year Barkley, Adams, Taylor, Love, Guice, Chubb all look like plug and play game changers.  

On 11/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, squatch66 said:

****ing. Sold.

This is going to be a quasi-unpopular decision but I would be fine trading Kirk or letting him walk if it meant Mayfield is our guy. I love his pocket presence and playmaking ability when things break down. He gives me that Russell Wilson vibe. Pairing Mayfield with Doctson gives me happy thoughts. I really hope it doesn't take a first to get him.

I really want to see him play Miami.

If Mayfield is there in the 3rd round when the Redskins are picking, and KC is still is on the trans tag, I'd most certainly think about it.

45 minutes ago, sebestian said:

I was wondering, is anyone else not sold on any of these quarterbacks.  Especially Darnold.  Am I just thinking too much. Does anybody watch him a lot and dispute this.  

Thanks in advance.  

He has prototypical size and arm strength.  Pair him with a good QB coach and OC and he'll flourish.  

IMO Jared Goff wasn't very impressive in college and after last season a lot were calling him a bust.  This year he's playing at a pro bowl level.  

On 11/18/2017 at 6:17 AM, pray4surf said:

So excited about this RB class.  I can't remember the last time the draft was this deep at the RB position.  No reason for us not to come out of this next draft with a game changing stud RB.   

Can't remember as far back as 2016 huh?  Yeah I'm getting old too and have the same problem.

4 hours ago, sebestian said:

I was wondering, is anyone else not sold on any of these quarterbacks.  Especially Darnold.  Am I just thinking too much. Does anybody watch him a lot and dispute this.  

Thanks in advance.  

To me, it's Darnold and everyone else. Darnold has everything I'd look for in a pro QB...big arm, athletic, can make every throw with accuracy, and has some swagger. His mistakes seem to come more from taking chances because he thinks he can fit it in anywhere...gunslinger mentality. I think he'll be very successful at the next level. 

Rosen throws a nice tight ball, shows good accuracy and arm strength, but isn't nearly as athletic, and is a bit of a head case. There are questions about his dedication, and his mistakes seem to come from bad decision making.

Josh Allen has all the athletic attributes you'd want in a QB, but he's played at a far lower level, and has not shown that he is good a making reads, and going through progressions. Throws as pretty a ball as anyone.

I would not even consider Jackson, Mayfield, or Rudolph in the first round, and of the three, the only one I'd consider at all would be Mayfield. I wouldn't even consider Jackson as an NFL QB, and there's just way too many questions about Rudolph's arm strength, smarts, and accuracy for me.

There are three guys that intrigue me for 3rd round or later value, Clayton Thorson (Northwestern), Ryan Finley (NC St.), and Jarrett Stidham (Auburn). All three have the size, athleticism, and arm strength I'd be looking for, and all three are pretty accurate passers. If there's another mid round star NFL QB from this class, my guess is it'll come from one of these three.

5 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

To me, it's Darnold and everyone else. Darnold has everything I'd look for in a pro QB...big arm, athletic, can make every throw with accuracy, and has some swagger. His mistakes seem to come more from taking chances because he thinks he can fit it in anywhere...gunslinger mentality. I think he'll be very successful at the next level. 

Rosen throws a nice tight ball, shows good accuracy and arm strength, but isn't nearly as athletic, and is a bit of a head case. There are questions about his dedication, and his mistakes seem to come from bad decision making.

Josh Allen has all the athletic attributes you'd want in a QB, but he's played at a far lower level, and has not shown that he is good a making reads, and going through progressions. Throws as pretty a ball as anyone.

I would not even consider Jackson, Mayfield, or Rudolph in the first round, and of the three, the only one I'd consider at all would be Mayfield. I wouldn't even consider Jackson as an NFL QB, and there's just way too many questions about Rudolph's arm strength, smarts, and accuracy for me.

There are three guys that intrigue me for 3rd round or later value, Clayton Thorson (Northwestern), Ryan Finley (NC St.), and Jarrett Stidham (Auburn). All three have the size, athleticism, and arm strength I'd be looking for, and all three are pretty accurate passers. If there's another mid round star NFL QB from this class, my guess is it'll come from one of these three.

Thank you. Great post. 

Archived