Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

44 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

We need a pressure edge rusher in a big way IMO. 

I do not disagree but with Preston Smith, Kerrigan and Anderson can you really draft one early? It then needs to be a Yannick Ngakoue/Leonard Floyd type of player, otherwise you just take more of the same. 

But even then. How many snaps does Gallett see? As a pure speed rusher? I feel like our D his succes is about three things: hustle/hard work, gang tackling and fresh bodies. We work hard until the wistle, we gang tackle people (even when the first guy is pretty sure to make the tackle) and we rotate a lot (keeps guys fresh, they don't get grinded down).

(my god...to many difficult English words. Sorry if I made some mistakes)  

On 2-10-2017 at 8:33 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

My impressions of Chubb:

My take is that he's kind of a lesser version of Derek Barnett, who I did not love as a prospect.  Feels a lot like he's an overachiever whose a great college player but will be a mediocre NFL player because he's just not a good enough athlete to dominate at the next level.  But he's got enough skills and power and he's a smart and disciplined enough player to make it in the NFL.  Coaches will trust him and he will make just enough plays to be a useful rotation fixture.  He's a Johnny Try-Hard.  I'm thinking late second or third round for his natural draft range.

Agree with most of the write up, but my question is. What does this guy add tho our team? I like the guy but don't need him.

----------------

What is really annoing about this years draft. I feel like there is a lot of talent at the D side. But I don't know if I really want to go D early. (I know I know BPA) I feel like we have depth at dline, CB's and OLB. Safety and ILB might be interesting but Foster/Brown combo kinda works and Montae Nicholson might be fine guy next to our Predator. 

I rather add something to the O. A playmaker. Somebody that takes some heat of Reed. Only I can't find him this year. Kirk (WR, Texas A&M) is a playmaker but not sure about how consistent he would be in the NFL.  There is not really a WR I staight up likes a lot. 

Smith is looking like he can fill Kerrigan's role in next couple years. How many years Kerrigan have left? Anderson seems like a nice piece. So, with the role of edge rushers in today's NFL, yea, we need a stud. I can say that because we seem to have secured some solid middle D/D Backfield in past couple years. 

Just now, Bonez3 said:

Smith is looking like he can fill Kerrigan's role in next couple years. How many years Kerrigan have left? Anderson seems like a nice piece. So, with the role of edge rushers in today's NFL, yea, we need a stud. I can say that because we seem to have secured some solid middle D/D Backfield in past couple years. 

You then probally look for: Dorance Armstrong Jr or Harold Landry in the first. Or maybe Lorenzo Carter in the second or third. Does are names that come to mind when I think about these athletic sacks guys. 

32 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I rather add something to the O. A playmaker. Somebody that takes some heat of Reed. Only I can't find him this year. Kirk (WR, Texas A&M) is a playmaker but not sure about how consistent he would be in the NFL.  There is not really a WR I staight up likes a lot. 

Is there another Kelce in this upcoming draft? It would be like having TWO Reeds.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm assuming they go belly up and get their next QB ala Colts/Steelers and it's bull****.

Not sure they're ready to move on from Eli yet though.  I think they might take Barkley and gear up for a few final runs with Eli.

Eli looks done to me though so you could be right.  He plays like he's got a foot out the door.

Eli is going to go down as one of the worst "great" QBs in NFL history because of those two playoff runs where he switched bodies with his brother.  I'm going to roll my eyes when he gets into the Hall and recall the sight of him throwing pathetic, wobbly ducks into a stiff breeze in the Meadowlands and turning it over a thousand times with the most cowardly and hapless body language a QB has ever shown.  And I will always remember that he's got two rings and Dan Marino has none when somebody throws out the ringz argument for ranking QBs, even if it's myself doing it.

46 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Is there another Kelce in this upcoming draft? It would be like having TWO Reeds.

Kelce is more a allround guy then Reed. Troy Fumagalli is probally close to that but I think he will go early. 

Ian Thomas might be more of that middle round athletic guy. His stats suck. Like I'm not impressed at all. Are there even stats... But a lot of people say he is a great athlete and full off potential. Combine will proof that. 

What the Hell?  Chubb a top ten prospect??  What am I missing?

Anyway, let's do a new prospect of the week.  I want to do an offensive lineman, and looking at that top ten list tells me it should be Quenton Nelson.

Here's his DB page: http://draftbreakdown.com/category/offensive-guard-2018/quenton-nelson/

He's got a ton of videos on there, so I'm going to work my way through them over the course of the week.

OK just watched this video,

My first impression: Holy ****.

This kid is an animal.  He is a giant and he is really really good.  Prototypical road grading LG a la Steve Hutchinson and the prospect he reminds me of the most at first blush is Mike Iupati.  I know I'm jumping the gun and I'm eventually going to go through all his videos, but I want this dude on our team.  Perfect fit and he could turn our line into the real Hogs 2.0.  Plus I think he might be able to play LT in the NFL.

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Said a couple of pages back I'd be very happy with a stud LG as our first pick.

Me too. I mentioned Nelson a page back.  The way Cooley is gushing about Scherff in his film reviews, he thinks he's the best OG in the league this season (gets me pumped up) -- be fun to have another mauler on the other side.  I think we are one stud guard from equaling Dallas' O line.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What the Hell?  Chubb a top ten prospect??  What am I missing?

Anyway, let's do a new prospect of the week.  I want to do an offensive lineman, and looking at that top ten list tells me it should be Quenton Nelson.

Here's his DB page: http://draftbreakdown.com/category/offensive-guard-2018/quenton-nelson/

He's got a ton of videos on there, so I'm going to work my way through them over the course of the week.

Chubb made Jackson look downright silly at times.

Quenton Nelson gifs from the VT game.

Two things stand out about Nelson immediately:

1.) This kid is very powerful and he's a ferocious blocker:

giphy.gif

2.) He's a really smart player:

giphy.gif

Another snap where he lays his initial block and then adjusts to the blitzer/interior rusher and plants him:

giphy.gif

You can tell this kid is super well coached and he's got a killer instinct.  He finishes blocks like an animal but he's a clean player.  Doesn't get grabby, and never takes it too far.  Here's another good example:

giphy.gif

Nelson is absolutely brilliant in pass protection.  He plays with perfect technique.  Great knee bend, back straight, head up, arms extended.  He doesn't get tired and let his technique slip.  He keeps his head on a swivel and is always feeling out the pocket and making adjustments.  He is consistent all of the way through the fourth quarter and the result is that he never misses assignments or give up pressure.  The only pressure from his area I saw were two bad play designs, one where he was stuck with two rushers and the other where he was supposed to trap but the rusher jumped the snap and got through immediately.

He's physically gifted.  Flexible and moves his feet very well to maintain a wide base and good balance.  Vines for arms and good quick twitch musculature for his size--usually the first one off the line of scrimmage and has a very sudden first few steps.  He carries his weight well, huge trunk and wide, columnar body.  He's just a massive player, 330 is his natural weight.  He pretty much always generates push when he drives and has an absolutely immovable anchor.  He's a true power blocker who's got an NFL ready body and could step onto the field as a rookie and be a high end starter.

As far as weaknesses, he doesn't have any major ones.  Such a smart and disciplined and well coached player.  If I'm picking nits--he's not as special a run blocker as he is a pass blocker.  The footspeed when he gets out into the second level is good but not elite.  And he's good at adjusting to moving targets but not elite.  Don't get me wrong though, he is definitely a strong pull blocker and he is very good on reaches because those first steps are explosive and he keeps his head up and lands a good punch.  He's just not going to be one of the best in the NFL at doing it because, at 330+, I don't think he'll ever run well enough to be as elite at hitting NFL DBs and LBs as, say, Trent is.  He's not as gifted an athlete as Scherff.  But he is a much better and cleaner pass blocker than Scherff was coming out of Iowa, and I bet he's a better drive blocker.  Really excels at turning and sealing to open lanes.  He's a very good run blocker period.  I think he'll be better than Scherff was as a rookie.

He's also gotten better this year than he was last year.  His second level blocking in the BC game cutups was noticeably better than it was in the VT game I pulled these gifs from.

My projection for Nelson is that he's got All-Pro potential at LG with the size and balance and lateral fluidity to play OT too.  If we had him at LG today, we'd probably have the best line in the league.  He'd fit anywhere, but he's a particularly great fit for our offense because of the multiple nature of our blocking schemes and the degree of difficulty required for the blocks in our run and screen game.

Put this kid on my wish list.  Assuming we are able to keep Kirk, Nelson is #2 on my wish list after Saquon Barkley.  He's a blue chipper who is probably going to get picked really high.  Hoping the Giants don't get him.

Archived