Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

After last night's game I am doubling down that we are a rb away from having a devastating offense. There were some runs that Perine got stopped on that Barkley could have bounced and potentially taken to the house.

If we are having to start over at qb then an elite back becomes even more of a priority.

Early days but I think we'll be looking for a stud LG in the draft. Both tackles are on major contracts, Scherff will be heading for a major contract soon and Long needs extending this offseason. Although there is more to it than business, i think they'll like to drop an affordable rookie contract into that group.....Especially if the defensive unit continues to produce this year.

On 9/27/2017 at 12:12 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Early days but I think we'll be looking for a stud LG in the draft. Both tackles are on major contracts, Scherff will be heading for a major contract soon and Long needs extending this offseason. Although there is more to it than business, i think they'll like to drop an affordable rookie contract into that group.....Especially if the defensive unit continues to produce this year.

I saw your post and then started thinking about what the skins actual needs are for next year's draft. I agree that getting a good LG is probably going to be pretty high up on the list. One scenario I could see is the team re-signing Long and sliding him over to guard with Roullier starting at center.

Other areas I think we could look to improve:

Ilb - Spaight was pretty good the other night. Is he a starter? Either way I'd like to add another young guy

olb - can never have too many pass rushers

wr - 3 of our top 4 are free agents after next year. Need to plan for replacements. 

dl - as good as they've looked I don't think it's a finished product. I'd like to see if we can get another upgrade on the front to team with Allen and Ioannidis

rb - holy ****ing god I want Barkley!

3 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

My guy Luke did it again!  

Let's give him some Luv!!

Guess him and his girlfriend made up ?

How did he look Greg? I had to turn it off because I had to work at the crack of dawn this morning. I saw the absolutely beautiful throw on the run that hit his receiver in the hands in the end zone. NFL throw right there.

I look at Falk and I think he's got some traits that Jay would like. I think the air raid stigma might hurt his value but it looked like the arm was decent and he was going through progressions.

I know nothing about him though so not sure what kind of prospect he is.

Luke 

4 hours ago, squatch66 said:

Guess him and his girlfriend made up ?

How did he look Greg? ... I saw the absolutely beautiful throw on the run that hit his receiver in the hands in the end zone. NFL throw right there.

I

Falk made alot of beautiful throws last night ... all over the field ... against a top notch defense that was gunning for him.

Above all he managed the offense beautifully ... especially using Morrow a la Chris Thompson.

He will fit right in with the Skins ... if the Football G-ds deem it to be.

I'm back this week.  Let's do a prospect of the week again.  Since he's been mentioned already and has been absolutely killing it, let's do Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State.

Here are his cut up videos on DB: http://draftbreakdown.com/category/defensive-end-2018/bradley-chubb/

My impressions of Chubb:

The good stuff:

- Excellent length

- Good hands

- Solid repertoire of power moves that includes a good mix of bull rushes and rips

- Assignment sure

- Solid anchor against the run.

- Keeps his head up on rushes and finds the football.  Sniffs out screens

- Plays with consistent effort

- Motor keeps running in the fourth quarter

- Versatile.  Lines up from five to nine technique and also stands up and plays OLB.  Plays man coverage on RBs and spot drops to flats and curls

The bad stuff:

- Slow.  Mediocre first few steps.  Can't bend the edge at all, not even against mediocre college OTs.

- Marginal athlete for an NFL edge player.  Can't break down in the open field.  Can't make plays off his frame.  Stiff as a board.

- Poor tackler.

- Power is good but not elite.  Has some trouble getting off blocks when he's the PoA on the edge.  Gonna have to get stronger to really find a home in the NFL because he's never going to win with speed at the next level.

- He's got nothing to beat double teams.  Doesn't get doubled much at all despite being the only brand name NFL prospect on NC State's defense.  The rest of the line is actually pretty good and they tend to register pressures as a unit.

- Size is solid, but gets swallowed up by big NFL bound OTs.  Frame looks maxed out.

- Doesn't have a second gear for finishing plays.  Can get the initial push into the backfield to force the adjustment from the runner but then can't get off the block to make the stop.

My take is that he's kind of a lesser version of Derek Barnett, who I did not love as a prospect.  Feels a lot like he's an overachiever whose a great college player but will be a mediocre NFL player because he's just not a good enough athlete to dominate at the next level.  But he's got enough skills and power and he's a smart and disciplined enough player to make it in the NFL.  Coaches will trust him and he will make just enough plays to be a useful rotation fixture.  He's a Johnny Try-Hard.  I'm thinking late second or third round for his natural draft range.

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My take is that he's kind of a lesser version of Derek Barnett, who I did not love as a prospect.  Feels a lot like he's an overachiever whose a great college player but will be a mediocre NFL player because he's just not a good enough athlete to dominate at the next level.  But he's got enough skills and power and he's a smart and disciplined enough player to make it in the NFL.  Coaches will trust him and he will make just enough plays to be a useful rotation fixture.  He's a Johnny Try-Hard.  I'm thinking late second or third round for his natural draft range.

Sounds suspiciously like Trent Murphy.... do you think that's a legit comparison @stevemcqueen1?

(Not at all meant to be a knock on Trent either, but I do wonder if he was a reach to pick mid-2nd round with somewhat limited "freak" athletic ability...)

1 hour ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Sounds suspiciously like Trent Murphy.... do you think that's a legit comparison @stevemcqueen1?

(Not at all meant to be a knock on Trent either, but I do wonder if he was a reach to pick mid-2nd round with somewhat limited "freak" athletic ability...)

That actually might end up being a good comparison, except Trent was probably a better prospect.  He's bigger than Chubb and was a better pass rusher.  He looked like a reach his first two seasons, but I can't say Trent was a reach after last year.  Nine sacks as a situational rusher is good production from a second round pick.  And he was solid against the run too.

Bryce Love?  Or too in the mold of Chris Thompson. Love Barkley but I am guessing we got no shot at him.  I am convinced a stud running back more than anything is what would take the team up a peg.   I think we'd be nuts to reboot at QB.  With the way Scherff is playing this year, tempting to do a bookend LG like Quenton Nelson to perhaps create a dominate O line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000857155/article/mts-notebook-scouting-stanford-breakout-star-bryce-love

"Who is Bryce Love?"

It's a question rumbling through the NFL scouting community after the Stanford standout rushed for an FBS-best 1,088 yards in the first five games of the college football season (217.6 yards per game). That's the fourth-most rushing yards through five games by any player in FBS history.

The 5-foot-10, 196-pound runner (school measurements) has risen from relative obscurity as Christian McCaffrey's former backup to become the hottest name on the scouting circuit as the top playmaker for the Cardinal. He's averaging 11.1 yards per carry while running the ball effectively between the tackles and around the corner in a power-based offense that certainly isn't for timid runners.

Based on my study of the all-22 coaches' tape, Love is a slippery back with outstanding speed, quickness and burst. He can go for from zero to 60 in a heartbeat while flashing the top-end speed to take it the distance from anywhere on the field. Although his size would suggest that he works the edges most effectively, Love is a dynamic inside runner with excellent patience, vision and wiggle. He uses a nifty jump cut at the point of attack to get to creases on power runs between the tackles, but he's not a dancer in traffic. He simply makes the first defender miss before getting downhill to get to the second level.

As a sub-200-pound runner, Love isn't a classic power back, but he flashes outstanding strength and body control running through arm tackles at the point of attack. He breaks more tackles than you might expect for a smaller back, and exhibits the kind of toughness that coaches covet in feature backs.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

What happened? 

Baker Mayfield led a nice scoring drive to tie the game but Iowa State got the ball back with about 7 minutes left and scored another TD.  OU gets the ball back with about four minutes remaining and eventually gets it to second and medium around midfield.  Two incompletions after that and they turn it over on downs and Iowa State runs out the clock for the upset.

It was a pretty good individual game from Mayfield but OU didn't play well as a team.  The offense had trouble sustaining drives and the defense played really poorly after the first quarter.  I knew their defense was suspect, but they'd been overachieving until yesterday.  Truth is they play defense like a typical Big 12 team and they just don't have a lot of size or talent on that side of the ball.

Archived