Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

stevemcqueen1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At this point, I think as for Barkley its please don't go to the NY Giants.  I think there is a better chance I am drafted by the Redskins at 15 or wherever we land than Barkley falls that far. 

If we get near 10 we might have a shot at him. I think the giants are going to grab a qb since they will have a top 2 pick. Now if they trade down to say 8...

6 minutes ago, squatch66 said:

If we get near 10 we might have a shot at him. I think the giants are going to grab a qb since they will have a top 2 pick. Now if they trade down to say 8...

The Giants might grab a QB indeed but tough for me to recall any mock with Barkley sniffing around pick 15.  He's usually top 5.  Granted its early in the process and mocks are off at this point.  But the buzz that the dude is another Elliot coupled with the rise of the running backs just in general in the league -- tough for me to see the dude escaping the top 5 let alone top 10.

Just going through some mocks.  I haven't studied most of these guys.  So just running on the fumes of draft geek opinion.  As for that, this is my best estimate at the current slate that intrigue me at least in theory.   I've watched Ridley plenty but for some reason I have a tough time digging him.  Maybe I was just watching the right games but I liked Guice a lot whenever I saw him.  Roquan Smith is an animal.   I'd love Nelson but I am guessing he doesn't drop to 15.  Zach Martin/Brandon Scherff I think spoiled the fun as to hoping elite guard prospects drop.    I am guessing we are going to be at #15.  Just hard for me to imagine dropping games to Denver and the Giants.

Likely Drafted Before #15 but might slip?

Derwin James
Quenton Nelson
Clelin Ferrell

Around #15 maybe earlier, maybe later

Darrius Guice
Vita Vea:  
Da'Ron Payne 
Roquan Smith: 
Calvin Ridley 
Harold Landry  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Just going through some mocks.  I haven't studied most of these guys.  So just running on the fumes of draft geek opinion.  As for that, this is my best estimate at the current slate that intrigue me at least in theory.   I've watched Ridley plenty but for some reason I have a tough time digging him.  Maybe I was just watching the right games but I liked Guice a lot whenever I saw him.  Roquan Smith is an animal.   I'd love Nelson but I am guessing he doesn't drop to 15.  Zach Martin/Brandon Scherff I think spoiled the fun as to hoping elite guard prospects drop.    I am guessing we are going to be at #15.  Just hard for me to imagine dropping games to Denver and the Giants.

Likely Drafted Before #15 but might slip?

Derwin James
Quenton Nelson
Clelin Ferrell

Around #15 maybe earlier, maybe later

Darrius Guice
Vita Vea:  
Da'Ron Payne 
Roquan Smith: 
Calvin Ridley 
Harold Landry  

Do you really think Ridley is going to be around 15.  I see him going too 10

We're so bad at LG several prospects would be immediate upgrades.  We need someone at nose.  We have a good LB core and secondary, when healthy.

We're so bad at LG several prospects would be immediate upgrades.  We need someone at nose.  We have a good LB core and secondary, when healthy.

9 hours ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Do you really think Ridley is going to be around 15.  I see him going too 10

This isn't about how I see it.  I don't know enough about most of the prospects, yet.  My point was summarizing the current run of mocks.  I noticed Kiper has him as the 10th best prospect, USA Today has him at 17, SB Nation at 22.   Not saying any of these guys are right.   Just summarizing them -- that was my point.  

Ridley is one of the prospects I've seen more than others.   I haven't studied him, though.  Some compare him to Amari Cooper.  But Cooper to me was hard to miss when I watched Alabama games, Ridley to me didn't stand out in the same way.  But frankly I didn't really focus on him.  Some prospects are hard for me to miss watching games even if I am not zoned in on them -- Ridley to me didn't come off the same.  But I'll dig deeper.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000881191/article/ask-5-which-college-football-wr-is-the-best-nfl-prospect

Which one will emerge as the best prospect? That's a question I posed to 5 NFL executives. Here are their answers: 

Executive 1: Texas A&M's Christian Kirk
"It comes down to (Calvin) Ridley and Kirk. I think Ridley has a higher ceiling while Kirk has a higher floor. I ended up stacking Kirk ahead of Ridley just because I know exactly what I'm buying. He can be an elite slot receiver and punt returner. He's ready to play right away."

Executive 2: Alabama's Calvin Ridley
"I'd take Calvin Ridley in a heartbeat. He can separate and he can fly, with upside to still get even better. (I) like the character and competitiveness, too. Pretty impressive package."

Executive 3: Ridley
"I like Sutton at SMU, but I'd probably lean more toward Ridley based on what I've studied so far."

Executive 4: SMU's Courtland Sutton
"Courtland Sutton is big, strong and athletic. He makes tough catches look easy. He's had a target on his back this year and he's still produced."

Executive 5: Sutton
"NFL body, legit vertical speed, very good hands, plus he is a front-line blocker. Very good character as well. Has all of the size and talent to be a No. 1 receiver."

Summary: That's 2 votes apiece for Sutton and Ridley and 1 vote for Kirk.

Conclusion: These are the names I expected to hear. It was interesting to see the argument for ranking Kirk over Ridley. I think Kirk will be a very safe pick, but I also think Ridley will add a dynamic element to any NFL offense. I still need to do more work on Sutton, who's been invited to the 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl. I compared him to Mike Evans after studying his tape from last season.

I agree that this class won't be as deep as some others we've seen in recent years, but there could be some special talents leading the pack.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

10 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I'm with you except that we Spaight and Harvey-Clemons are the only 2 listed ILBs under contract for next year, and Spaight's contract is up after next season.  A position of depth could become a very VERY large weakness very fast.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This isn't about how I see it.  I don't know enough about most of the prospects, yet.  My point was summarizing the current run of mocks.  I noticed Kiper has him as the 10th best prospect, USA Today has him at 17, SB Nation at 22.   Not saying any of these guys are right.   Just summarizing them -- that was my point.  

Ridley is one of the prospects I've seen more than others.   I haven't studied him, though.  Some compare him to Amari Cooper.  But Cooper to me was hard to miss when I watched Alabama games, Ridley to me didn't stand out in the same way.  But frankly I didn't really focus on him.  Some prospects are hard for me to miss watching games even if I am not zoned in on them -- Ridley to me didn't come off the same.  But I'll dig deeper.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000881191/article/ask-5-which-college-football-wr-is-the-best-nfl-prospect

Which one will emerge as the best prospect? That's a question I posed to 5 NFL executives. Here are their answers: 

Executive 1: Texas A&M's Christian Kirk
"It comes down to (Calvin) Ridley and Kirk. I think Ridley has a higher ceiling while Kirk has a higher floor. I ended up stacking Kirk ahead of Ridley just because I know exactly what I'm buying. He can be an elite slot receiver and punt returner. He's ready to play right away."

Executive 2: Alabama's Calvin Ridley
"I'd take Calvin Ridley in a heartbeat. He can separate and he can fly, with upside to still get even better. (I) like the character and competitiveness, too. Pretty impressive package."

Executive 3: Ridley
"I like Sutton at SMU, but I'd probably lean more toward Ridley based on what I've studied so far."

Executive 4: SMU's Courtland Sutton
"Courtland Sutton is big, strong and athletic. He makes tough catches look easy. He's had a target on his back this year and he's still produced."

Executive 5: Sutton
"NFL body, legit vertical speed, very good hands, plus he is a front-line blocker. Very good character as well. Has all of the size and talent to be a No. 1 receiver."

Summary: That's 2 votes apiece for Sutton and Ridley and 1 vote for Kirk.

Conclusion: These are the names I expected to hear. It was interesting to see the argument for ranking Kirk over Ridley. I think Kirk will be a very safe pick, but I also think Ridley will add a dynamic element to any NFL offense. I still need to do more work on Sutton, who's been invited to the 2018 Reese's Senior Bowl. I compared him to Mike Evans after studying his tape from last season.

I agree that this class won't be as deep as some others we've seen in recent years, but there could be some special talents leading the pack.

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks.

I think this draft has a few WR prospects that are very good prospects but flying under the radar because they're not from power 5 schools. Michael Gallup, Cedric Wilson and Anthony Miller to name a few. I actually like the meat of this receiver class better than what's at the top. 

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I think this draft has a few WR prospects that are very good prospects but flying under the radar because they're not from power 5 schools. Michael Gallup, Cedric Wilson and Anthony Miller to name a few. I actually like the meat of this receiver class better than what's at the top. 

Yes I agree and believe the sweet spot could be 2nd round

9 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Yes I agree and believe the sweet spot could be 2nd round

Anywhere from round 2 to maybe round 5 or 6 IMO. This dude, who looks more like an edge rusher than a receiver could be a major sleeper. He may not run a fast 40 but that wouldn't worry me at all due to his feet, sudden change of direction and fluidity at that size. Good luck tackling him too. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I question his^ ability to separate, but man, what balance (and ball tracking/hands).  

I don't see him as a deep threat in the NFL either, although he does move well in higher gears so you could sneak in a deep corner or post here and there, especially from the slot. He could really excel in intermediate routes because he has that frame and his body language when running routes gives nothing away, which is becoming a bit of a lost art now a days. 

22 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

It won't really matter who we draft, who coaches the team, or who quarterback's the team.  It will be the same crap as we have always seen post Snyder ownership.  He and losing is the only thing that have remained constant post his ownership.  There is really no reason to have much hope that it is going to change.  And in terms of the draft, we will be relying on Bruce Allen's evaluation of talent.  Not a comforting thought.  And yes that is the same guy who has totally mishandled Kirk Cousins, and everyone even professional football people, other than the Redskins brass, agree their handling of that situation has been a disaster.  

3 minutes ago, glongest said:

It won't really matter who we draft, who coaches the team, or who quarterback's the team.  It will be the same crap as we have always seen post Snyder ownership.  He and losing is the only thing that have remained constant post his ownership.  There is really no reason to have much hope that it is going to change.  And in terms of the draft, we will be relying on Bruce Allen's evaluation of talent.  Not a comforting thought.  And yes that is the same guy who has totally mishandled Kirk Cousins, and everyone even professional football people, other than the Redskins brass, agree their handling of that situation has been a disaster.  

If you think doomsday is when Cousins leaves you're way off! Doomsday was months ago when McCloughan got fired. Have a little fun though it's just us and Browns fans that have the honor of  evaluating draft prospects knowing we're better at it than the people that run the team we support. 

I was thinking about what this team was lacking this year, and after Thompson went down, our only WR that could really get YAC has been Crowder. I don't know what has happened to him this year, but hopefully its just a struggle he's going through similar to what Breeland went through the year before (kind for opposite reasons though). Anyway though, I was thinking about drafting somebody who can get YAC. 

Here are the guys I'd consider based on profiles at WalterFootball

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php

Christian Kirk*, WR, Texas A&M 
Height: 5-11. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.43. 
Projected Round (2018): 1-3. 

12/2/17: Kirk has 58 catches for 730 yards and seven touchdowns so far this season. Versus Arkansas, he carried Texas A&M to a win with five catches for 110 yards with two touchdowns and a kickoff returned for a touchdown. Kirk is a fast play-maker who really competes and has special potential for the NFL. 

7/17/17: Kirk played well in 2016 despite inconsistent quarterback play from the Aggies. He had 83 receptions for 928 yards with nine touchdowns while splitting targets with wideouts like Josh Reynolds and Ricky Seals-Jones.

Kirk had an outstanding freshman debut for Texas A&M and earned playing time over more veteran receivers who had previous produced for the Aggies. In 2015, Kirk caught 80 passes for 1,009 yards with seven touchdowns. He averaged only 19.3 yards per kick return, but averaged 24.4 yards per punt returns with two touchdowns. Kirk is a fast, explosive play-maker. Some scouting sources have said there nickname for Kirk is "Baby Beckham" in reference to Odell Beckham Jr.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz51yvOp2I6

• Dante Pettis, WR, Washington 
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 185. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.55. 
    Projected Round (2018): 2-3. 

12/2/17: Pettis has played well in 2017 with 62 receptions for 721 yards and seven touchdowns. He also has passed DeSean Jackson to be the Pac-12's all-time leader in punt returns for a touchdown with nine. Some scouts really like Pettis and say he is a smooth receiver who is fluid, fast, quick handed, and dangerous after the catch. Other sources have said they think Pettis lacks elusiveness, drops too many passes, and is just a guy. 

7/17/17: Pettis was the Huskies' No. 2 receiver to John Ross in 2016 and was a solid contributor. Pettis totaled 53 receptions for 822 yards with 15 touchdowns for Washington. With Ross in the NFL, Pettis should be Jake Browning's top target as a senior. Pettis has quickness and looks like he could be a solid complementary receiver in the NFL.

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz51yvjFlWe

• Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis 
    Height: 5-11. Weight: 190. 
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52. 
    Projected Round (2018): 2-4. 

12/2/17: Miller has played really well for Memphis, showing good route-running, quickness, good hands, and elusiveness after the catch. He has 78 receptions for 1,212 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2017. Miller came up huge to help Memphis upset UCLA and has created some positive buzz for himself in the scouting community. Miller is viewed as more of a second-day talent who could be a weapon as a slot receiver in the NFL. 

7/17/17: Miller is smaller receiver, but he was massively productive for Memphis in 2016 as the No. 1 receiver for quarterback Riley Ferguson. Miller totaled 95 receptions for 1,434 yards with 14 touchdowns on the year. The previous season, he hauled in 47 passes for 694 yards and five touchdowns. Miller and Ferguson should be poised for another big season in 2017.

• Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz51yvtBony

Hunter Renfrow*, WR, Clemson 
Height: 5-10. Weight: 180. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.54. 
Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 

12/2/17: Renfrow is undersized for the NFL, but he is still a dangerous slot receiver. The junior is a quick wideout who has good hands and runs good routes. Renfrow has 50 receptions for 526 yards and three touchdowns in 2017. As a sophomore, he recorded 44 catches for 495 yards and six touchdowns, including the winning score in the National Championship to beat Alabama. As a freshman, he totaled 33 catches for 492 yards and five scores. Renfrow always seems to come up big in crunch time.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018WR.php#ixzz51ywICo3R

I don't know anything about these guys other than what I've read above (hopefully that'll change over the next few months), but between Thompson and Crowder and the backups like Marshall and Biggs, I think they add an element to our offense that can't be understated. I also think that (more than a "legit number 1" WR) we need consistent hands at WR. Garcon was that more than anybody else in our WR set last year. I was hoping for that in Crowder and Doctson this year, but both have let me down. Whoever they bring in, be it in the draft or free agency, I think that the percentage of passes caught vs targets should be a number we look at very strongly. Hopefully Crowder and Doctson just get better by playing more with Cousins in their new roles. 

16 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

If you think doomsday is when Cousins leaves you're way off! Doomsday was months ago when McCloughan got fired. Have a little fun though it's just us and Browns fans that have the honor of  evaluating draft prospects knowing we're better at it than the people that run the team we support. 

Uh now that the Browns have Dorsey I think it's just us ??

Archived