Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

7 hours ago, Larry said:

I remember hearing that SS protection for former Presidents is one agent, most of the time.  

If so, then former Veeps probably get to have the SS's unlisted phone number.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/03/03/biden-do-former-vice-presidents-have-secret-service-protection/4948807002/

Do former vice presidents like Joe Biden have Secret Service protection?

Two protestors who rushed the stage during Joe Biden’s remarks on Super Tuesday prompted a flurry of questions about whether the former vice president has protection from the U.S. Secret Service.

The answer is no.

As a former vice president, Biden was entitled to Secret Service protection for up to six months after the date he left office. Though the Department of Homeland Security can extend that window, it did not do so in Biden’s case.

I think it is a given that Obama is endorsing Biden when the time comes. He probably doesn't feel the need to hop in now unless things got really sketchy at the 11th hour.  Once the general election season begins the plan is probably to trot out Obama in some kind of grand fashion.

Speaking of, Obama has remained relatively quit the past 3.5 years as Trump has attempted to trash him and his legacy.  I am hoping he has been saving up some really good stuff for when he gets out in front of the masses again.

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Did nobody actually follow the USA election in 2016 where the Democrats put up an overwhelmingly bland and mediocre candidate that a lot of people already didn't really care for, partially because people thought it was "her time" to get a crack at the presidency?  Is that not similar to what could happen here?

I really want to like the Democrats...I really, really, do.   They got it right with Obama.  It's like the Redskins, headed into the 4th quarter with a slim lead, running the ball successfully all game and then all of a sudden they just decide to abandon the running game and stop playing defense.  Suddenly, they start wanting to pass the ball and play a soft prevent defense.  No, dip****s you had it right all along.  You had it right with Obama.  You had it right with Bill Clinton.  You can't find another guy like that?  Trump has been gifting this entire game to you FOR THREE YEARS!!!  He's the biggest douchebag ever and deeply unpopular.  And now we're in the 4th quarter and you're abandoning the run.  Jesus Christ, all this is, is a popularity contest and all they do, practically time after time is just nominate candidates that no one likes.  ****ing Michael Dukakis lost in '88 partially because he looked like a choad when he was photographed in a tank.  

It's the party of young, progressive, hip and cool people.  That's all the Democrats are.  That's all they should be appealing to.  Young, cool, hip, it's why AOC is popular!  Obama's face on a Shepherd Fairey poster.  Bill Clinton on MTV talking to kids and playing the sax on Arsenio.  And knowing this, what do they do?  They nominate people like John Kerry and Hillary Clinton.  The Republicans are the old, stodgy smelly grandparents that make you kiss them on the cheek and you kinda have to hold your breath so you don't inhale whatever weird smell they've got going on.  And the Democrats just can't figure this out.  Everyone overthinks this ****, people think these candidates policies actually matter...they do to a certain extent, but let's be real here.  This is a cool/popularity contest and, once again, they're putting up nominees that don't capture anyone's imagination and can't win a popularity contest.  

Warren is the most like Obama ---- from a wonkish angle,  or Klobuchar/Biden... from the centrist positioning.... NONE of them have Obama's magnetic personality........  but you would have to look long and hard to find anybody in the (previously) crowded field that was LESS like Obama than Bernie Sanders,  the reactionary populist

I'm very comfortable with the assessment that Jeremy Corbyn is the closest current analogy to Bernie sanders

36 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Cause everybody has veen clamoring for more healthcare in the debates.

I would be interested in this and I've seen many people asking for targeted, deep dive debates. A lot of people who voted Biden yesterday are terrified of coronavirus; Bernie should explain why his plan would better combat it. 

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Liz appears to be angling for a graceful exit.

She's got a plan for that.  

(No, not snark.  Respectful tip of the hat, for a good, issues-driven, campaign.  The kind lots of voters say they want.)

4 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

lol at people like Glenn spiking the ball after Nevada. It's like DeSean Jackson dropping the ball just before crossing the goal line, but doing it from his own 30 yard line instead. 

Glenn is that 12YO Broncos fan watching the 1987 Super Bowl in the first quarter.

Its 10-0 and Elway is gonna bring it home!

3 hours ago, tshile said:

I’ll never understand the appeal of supreme pizza

you pick up a piece and all the **** you supposedly like falls off. 

what you really seem to like is cheese pizza with scarce, random toppings then eating the rest of it like a 2 year old. 

Toppings only fall off of crummy pizzas, and the toppings don't matter when it does.  A supreme at a good place done with with fresh veggies definitely isn't scarce, random toppings.   Peppers, onions and olives add quite a bit of flavor.  And adding a green veggies adds some fiber to balances out the dough, cheese and meat and make it complete meal and easier to digest.  Plain pepperoni or other meat only isn't so bad if I at least have a side salad to go along with it. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Speaking of, Obama has remained relatively quit the past 3.5 years as Trump has attempted to trash him and his legacy.  I am hoping he has been saving up some really good stuff for when he gets out in front of the masses again.

Yea and this pisses me off about him.  I get it is what a former president normally does but these have not been normal times.

5 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

its time.....   who should Bernie and Biden choose as running mates if they win?  and what do they need to shore up?

For Biden, anyone who isn't a white male and can shore up a demographic.  I like Kamala but California is already in the bag for Democrats.  I'd say Stacey Abrams for the African American/women vote or Klobuchar for the midwest/women vote.  

I don't really want to consider the idea of Bernie as the nominee, but at this point, i'd say any competent moderate to balance him out.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Llevron said:

I just hope he doesnt take anyone out of the senate. So for me it has to be Pete or Abrams. 

Though I would love to see Warren, we need her seat (right?) 

In Mass, when a Senator vacates a seat, they need a new election in I believe 120 days (I might be slightly off on the numbers of days because I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I know this is close). So she could be named the VP pick and step down from her seat at the convention and then they'd have the election for her seat on November's election day, which would mean Markey and Kennedy would both be on the ballot and it's pretty much a guarantee they'd hold the seat. It would take guts on her part, but it would also be an expression of confidence in their chances. And worse case, they lose and she starts to build her 24 campaign.

If she waits until after November, they'd have a Republican in the seat for a couple of months and then we'd have to see if a backlash to the new administration put the seat in jeopard, ala the Scott Brown election.

As much as I think there should be a POC on the ballot, uniting the Dem party is the key challenge for Biden going forward. If I'm behind the scenes orchestrating the next steps, the best thing would be to have Warren drop out, endorse and campaign with Sanders (but not attack Biden). It's not going to win anything for Sanders, but it puts her back in the Sanders camp and undoes some of the nonsense vitriol they have towards her now. Then Biden names her as VP, adopts a few of the progressive planks (wealth tax, Green New Deal, maybe), makes her a kind of point person on issues, and perhaps even does the thing we heard Sanders was considering of making her both VP and Treasury Sec.

I also have thought for a while that whoever the nominee would be should roll out a bunch of Cabinet and other top-level appointments thru the late summer and fall. You could dominate a bunch of news cycles, shore up some demographic enthusiasm, add some geographical interest, and draw a contrast between the sane competent choices and the clown show that Trump has produced. 

2 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

Do former vice presidents like Joe Biden have Secret Service protection?

As someone who worked a lot on the Edwards campaign in 2008, I can tell you that he was given SS protection by the fall of 07. Now that's the clear third place contender for a nomination getting protection probably five months before the Primaries started. Obama had it back in the spring of that year. 

This year, no one has gotten it. Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the petty crapbag in the White House right now.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm saying we have limits on the young side for obvious reasons, we should have them on the other end as well, for similar obvious reasons. 

People age differently, some folks might decline starting at 60, others not until 80 or even older.  Installing hard limits seems like too blunt an instrument to me.  

I also think blaming Biden's, er, misstatements on his age ignores the fact that he's been doing this kind of thing for several decades.  

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

People age differently, some folks might decline starting at 60, others not until 80 or even older.  Installing hard limits seems like too blunt an instrument to me.  

I also think blaming Biden's, er, misstatements on his age ignores the fact that he's been doing this kind of thing for several decades.  

So why should there be hard limits with respect to minimum age?   People have started and managed billion dollar businesses before they've turned 30.   Why should age automatically disqualify them?

24 minutes ago, Forehead said:

For Biden, anyone who isn't a white male and can shore up a demographic.  I like Kamala but California is already in the bag for Democrats.  I'd say Stacey Abrams for the African American/women vote or Klobuchar for the midwest/women vote.  

I don't really want to consider the idea of Bernie as the nominee, but at this point, i'd say any competent moderate to balance him out.

For Biden, I said earlier that he should beg Abrams to take the job.  It's not just because she's a black woman, although I know a lot of people feel like he needs to check some boxes.  I'd kind of argue that Biden doesn't need to specifically nominate a black person because he already clearly has their support, although I'd be shocked if he didn't pick a woman.  I'd be in favor of Abrams regardless of her demographics.  Has anyone listened to Stacy Abrams explain stuff?  She's both brilliant and totally approachable and funny.  Her politics are in the sweet spot for a huge swath of voters.  She is one of the county's leading expert in a very important issue (voting rights).  She would destroy Pence in a debate and she would make a great POTUS.  

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

So why should there be hard limits with respect to minimum age?   People have started and managed billion dollar businesses before they've turned 30.   Why should age automatically disqualify them?

I don't think there should be.  The Founders did 250 years ago and it's never been changed.  

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

It's almost impossible to engage with Trump and maintain your dignity.  I strongly suspect that Obama will be the #1 surrogate for whoever wins the Dem primary.  

Archived