Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

39 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If party affiliation so irretrievably stains a person to be disqualified as a decent human being worthy of being considered for a VP pick (even those who broke with party against the party's nominee), why are we bothering with the political process at all?  Why not just take to the streets and see which side can eliminate the other?

Paging @TheGreatBuzz (Are you a good shot?  Any low level staff positions available on Team Buzz?)

I am a good shot.  But unfortunately so are many supporters on the Right.  Besides, I am a former Republican so apparently I am too stained to be of any interests to Dems (which I've been told here before).

And when (note I didn't say if) we get to the point we are taking it to the streets, it won't matter who wins.  Though I'd put my money on the side with the bulk of the guns.

Bernie and Trump are two sides of the same coin. People want to blame their economic anxieties on the insidious activities of others. For Trump, it's foreigners and persons of color; for Bernie it's evil corporations and one percenters. The truth is neither - we are in the midst of a digital/technological revolution that has left unskilled labor expendable. Both candidates are disasters for America's long term competitiveness. Trump has already done significant damage; Bernie would be the end of American technical leadership.

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Spot on article by Fareed Zakaria. 

Strongly disagree. That is a garbage article. 

Sanders has said "there should be no billionaires" but he has no policy aimed towards any such thing. He just thinks it's something that morally we'd be better off with, but nothing he has ever said anything about mandating. To somehow come up with 'there are more billionaires in such and such a country therefore Bernie is wrong' line is some real sophomoric level "analysis".

He cites America's estate taxes as being "4th highest" but ignores that exemptions and loopholes make our estate tax rates below average across the major economies. 

He claims countries with no minimum wage because in those countries almost everyone is in a union and is well-paid, or countries with nationalized health insurance having any co-pays equals "market-friendly policies" i.e. anti-liberal economics.

That is a fat load of nonsense. 

Buttigieg pretty much has to be part of the next Dem administration because Indiana is one of those red states that's gettin redder. He probably has zero shot at winning election there. If he wants any kind of political future, he needs a national job on some level. Whether that's head of the DNC or a cabinet post. I would think head of the VA would be a good place for him to start. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

These guys just say whatever they want to say and whatever sounds good in the moment.  No way Biden would do that.  

Mitt Romney! That is who he should pick. Can't think of a better option that might actually accept the VP position.

Remember how Warren at one point had close to front runner status and then there was a groundswell of progressive revolt against her MFA plan (which was good, btw). 

Remember how Warren is a snake and Pete was a corporate crony? 

Remember how Bernie’s supporters are divisive online and rally just behind their guy? 

Again, there have been people in the media claiming Bernie is going to shoot them in the streets if he gets elected. Bernie calling that unfair and whatever else he has said is more that justified in that case.

The media has been unfair with this guy. Him calling them out is really not his problem.  

The entire "there should be no billionaires" is another instance where I think the larger in context statement is that there should be no billionaires if they have become billionaires at the expense of treating their workers like garbage.  I would never support legislation or a law saying "You can't be a billionaire" however, if paying your employees a living wage, providing benefits etc etc etc......means you would go from being a billionaire to a high end millionaire? Tough.  If you can provide the above for your workforce and still clear a billion dollars? Congrats, you have a fantastic business model. 

And now we are coming full circle with the "Bernie is the same as Trump" narrative.  Smh......yes, someone who has spent most of his life in public service working on behalf of working class citizens is very much the same as Donald Trump.  

34 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

nationalized health insurance having any co-pays equals "market-friendly policies" i.e. anti-liberal economics.

That is a fat load of nonsense. 

They are "market friendly policies" in comparison to a system that would eliminate co-pays, deductibles, and caps. 

In the context of nationalized healthcare, I don't know of any countries (I'm not saying none do, the likes of Cuba, Venezuela, etc. might) that actually offer healthcare completely free (with no co-pays, deductibles, or caps) to their citizens.  Including the Nordic countries.

In that context, Sanders plan is a far left plan and the what the Scandanvian countries are doing is much more market friendly.

Not that there isn't room to criticize.  For example, on the inherentance tax, Denmark still has one, Norway has a wealth tax so if you inherent a lot of money you are paying a higher wealth tax, and Sweden maintains the highest flat capital gains tax (30%) among the 3, which makes it hard to accrue wealth.  (They all have much more substantial capital gains tax than us with Sweden's being the greatest.)

(I guess, he can be right in that Bernie's plan is far left and still misrepresent what the Nordic countries are doing.)

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Again, there have been people in the media claiming Bernie is going to shoot them in the streets if he gets elected. Bernie calling that unfair and whatever else he has said is more that justified in that case.

The media has been unfair with this guy. Him calling them out is really not his problem.  

1.  I missed that and can't find it.  Can you post it?

2.  I'm also always confused by this idea of "fairness" in the corporate media.  Essentially, by law, they are obligated to maximize the value to their share holders.  I guess if they aren't acting in that manner, then you could argue they aren't be "fair".  But I don't see any evidence of that.

Bernie (and other politicians) actually seem to suggest they should be "fair" in a way that would really be illegal.

7 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

They are "market friendly policies" in comparison to a system that would eliminate co-pays, deductibles, and caps. 

You get out of this quote:

When looking across Northern Europe today, one finds many innovative market-friendly policies such as educational vouchers, health-care deductibles and co-pays, and light regulatory burdens. None of these countries, for example, has a minimum wage.

That he's merely trying to highlight the modest difference between socialized medicine with vs without co-pays and deductibles?

source.gif

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

You get out of this quote:

That he's merely trying to highlight the modest difference between socialized medicine with vs without co-pays and deductibles?

I think he's going beyond just socialized medicine, but also probably thinking of US based health plans that don't (especially historically) include deductibles and co-pays.

Historically, when libertarian and market economy groups rank countries, the Nordic countries do well, and we do poorly partly because of our work based health insurance system, which at least more historically had low to no co-pays and deductibles.  Our system historically hasn't been very market-friendly in some aspects (and has been criticized by market think tanks as such for decades).

So I think he's probably making a distinction there between any way in which you get health care without co-pays or deductibles (Sander's plan or the more historic work-based plans that frequently didn't have much in terms of co-pays or deductibles) and the Nordic countries approaches.

38 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That would eliminate billionaires? 

If you say so. 

With the top tax at 52% under Sanders, billionaires need to earn 10-16% return every year to outpace the tax (when you factor in that not all assets are investments, the performance of investment assets need to be much higher).  Bill Gates, with 60% of assets invested in stocks, increased his net worth by 16% last year.  And that was an extremely good year for the stock market.

42 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dumbass people in the media =/= All media

Booing reporters at rallies =/= calling out dumbass people in the media.

Archived