Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What % of Bernie supporters do you guys think those online jerks represent? 80%? 70% Its gotta be alot 

I have nothing but gut feeling, but I think way less.  Maybe 5%?  At most 10%?  (Even that feels pretty high).  I think Sanders could ditch those losers and not blink an eye.

40 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Precisely why I want his real supporters to spit fire and brimstone whenever they see it.  FIRE AND BRIMSTONE RENEGADE!!!!  YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

I need my morning coffee....

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

I'm convinced a lot of these Bernie Bros arent Bernie supporters, they are borderline anarchists that jus want to flip the table upside down.

Should Bernie tone his own campaign down a notch?  Sure, but I only expect so much from someone from Brooklyn who gets called a communists every 15 seconds and pissed at what's happened to this country for longer then I've been alive.

The truth is. If he turned that in these internet trolls, that doesn't mean it will stop them and could also risk them turning in him.  I'm not sold on the best way to address them is, so yes he should start with himself and his own campaign.  In context of who he is and what hes fighting for.

His passion for wanting to address these issues is genuine, but perception is reality. I know me, I have to save my fire and brimestone for when I believe it's worth it. Internet trolls arent worth it.

Enjoy your coffee : )

Personal anecdote...

Im pretty active on FB in as much as I use it to maintain contact with really interesting folks I’ve met in my various musical and business related travels.  And I keep it very apolitical...cool tunes, tour dates and POSSUM MEMES is about 95% of my feed.

Now, it’s obviously a pretty diverse friends list and I’ve carried about 12 pretty hardcore Bernie Bros on there since 2015 or so and it’s all chill.  As soon as the Iowa results were delayed, they started short-circuiting and within a few days I had to unfriend four of them for chasing me into my DMs/tagging me in “Liz is a fraud”/Pete the Rat links.  And that’s a bummer, but that’s the same rules I applied to my TrumKlan buddies and I do not regret it.

So, for me the % of Bernie supporters who simply cannot control their cult-like urges is right at 1 in 3.  Again, very similar to the Trump supporters I maintain contact with.

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I have nothing but gut feeling, but I think way less.  Maybe 5%?  At most 10%?  (Even that feels pretty high).  I think Sanders could ditch those losers and not blink an eye.

I'm open to him taking that risk, they wont win him the election. 

Trumps base didnt need twitter, this is why I cant come close to equating them (not saying anyone has, but i agree they arent close to the same in size).

I'm not sure the best way for him to address these trolls directly. His passion this issue resonates with a lot of folks, is disowning them the best way or calming his own rhetoric then asking them to do the same better? 

In my head, he cant control them even if he wanted to, that's a different legitimate concern I have.

32 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Pete doesn't doesn't need to have been asked, he has chosen the moderate lane and it is sure to be seen a a magnanimous move by the party establishment. I also suspect SC signals  "not Sanders" voters rallying around Biden as Sanders odds of winning increase, so he may have anticipated bad results coming Tuesday.

Yeah, there certainly doesn't HAVE to be any kind of explicit deal at all. It could simply be that he's smart enough to know that the Party will like him a lot more if he gets out now. 

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

So, for me the % of Bernie supporters who simply cannot control their cult-like urges is right at 1 in 3.  Again, very similar to the Trump supporters I maintain contact with.

Stopped using facebook end of last year, I knew a lot of folks that voted for Berniex only one got to point of being obnoxious about it out of 150 something total friends.  It really does depend on the network, I'm convinced that one im talking about his friends list is dominated by what you are describing.  But I wont go so far as to say what the average is in facebook, or how many are bots.

Not to mention that Pete is young enough that he can likely use this run to further his career in politics and attempt to climb the ladder.  

As far as "Bernie Bros" go.  There is little anyone can do to stop online trolls.  Even if Bernie comes out and makes a huge speech and it stops say, 75% of them? The remaining 25% will be become louder and more obnoxious. The best he can do is work to eliminate anyone that is officially associated with his campaign, which I believe he has and continues to do when these folks are brought to his attention. Could he be doing more? Perhaps? Maybe? I don't know.

Kind of weaksauce that the Supreme Court is holding off on the ACA case until after the election.  If the conservative majority on the court is going to rule in favor of scrapping it entirely, it will have major ramifications.   The voters should at least be able to go into the 2020 election knowing where the legality of it stands, especially since so many people are currently on the ACA roles for their health care.   It feels like this is just the conservative majority of judges giving Trump cover so that any political fallout associated with the ACA going away (possibly) is not attached to a President that is in favor of that happening until it is irrelevant to his campaign to be re-elected.

If I was running for the Dem nomination I would be sounding this alarm bell off daily, especially if I was a moderate who is running on "Let's improve ACA, and build on it's successes" over someone like Bernie who is M4A all the way.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm convinced a lot of these Bernie Bros arent Bernie supporters, they are borderline anarchists that jus want to flip the table upside down.

If that’s the case then why did sanders hire the people he hired to run his campaign?

cause they’re closer to the Bernie bro population than not...

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

If that’s the case then why did sanders hire the people he hired to run his campaign?

cause they’re closer to the Bernie bro population than not...

So is Nina Tuner a Bernie Bro?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-nina-turner-bernie-sanderss-most-visible-and-passionate-surrogate-is-helping-him-connect-with-black-voters/2020/02/28/21a5abb2-597c-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html

41 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Kind of weaksauce that the Supreme Court is holding off on the ACA case until after the election.  If the conservative majority on the court is going to rule in favor of scrapping it entirely, it will have major ramifications.   The voters should at least be able to go into the 2020 election knowing where the legality of it stands, especially since so many people are currently on the ACA roles for their health care.   It feels like this is just the conservative majority of judges giving Trump cover so that any political fallout associated with the ACA going away (possibly) is not attached to a President that is in favor of that happening until it is irrelevant to his campaign to be re-elected.

If I was running for the Dem nomination I would be sounding this alarm bell off daily, especially if I was a moderate who is running on "Let's improve ACA, and build on it's successes" over someone like Bernie who is M4A all the way.

So some things to unpack.  One, yes it is a scheduling decision with an eye towards the election calendar.  But I don't think the prime motivation is to give Trump cover, but more that they are thinking the issue may become moot depending on the outcome of the election.  Also, SCOTUS often giving the average voter too much credit, may think that people who would care enough to let their votes be swayed by the ACA ruling one way or the other, already know the legal challenge it currently faces (I agree with you that this is not the case).

Free campaign advice to any of the candidates would be to introduce and call for an immediate passage of the "Stop Being Stupid" Act (or "Stop BS" Act).  It would introduce a 1 cent penalty on the individual mandate, classified as a secondary offense (meaning there has to be a separate tax offense that brings this to light in order to be enforceable).  Exempt from all late payment and filing penalties and any assessment of cost or interests and may not be considered as a prior offense for any future criminal or tax case.  The very existence of a tax penalty removes this stupid constitutionality challenge altogether.  And if the GOP won't agree to pass it or if Trump won't sign it, beat them over the head with it during the campaign.  They created a false crisis for the ACA, now they won't agree to fix it.    

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So is Nina Tuner a Bernie Bro?

no idea. I just know that a few people have laid out how staffers have been acting just like them and encouraging it

which tells me either Bernie hires anarchists to run his campaign, or that this is just a solid representation of his supporters 

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

no idea. I just know that a few people have laid out how staffers have been acting just like them and encouraging it

which tells me either Bernie hires anarchists to run his campaign, or that this is just a solid representation of his supporters 

I'd be happy to look at each one to help separate folks like her and folks that fit in the Bernie Bro category.  It's important distinction, and I recommend the article because I heard about how aggressive shes been, but I think it's different. 

Open to being show otherwise, but the Bernie Bro label is starting to bother if anything because I'm beginning to question if those folks deserve a more clear and appropriate labels.

With Sanders winning states, I'm concerned about mixing the people that vote for him with this label.  Maybe overthinking it, but want to say something now. Especially if he rolls tomorrow.

Jennifer Rubin on Mayor Pete:

Buttigieg goes out with style, grace and a bright future

Former South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg won himself a place in the history books as the first openly gay American to make a high-profile presidential run and the first to win a state contest. He did this at just 38 years of age, with a short military career and a stint as mayor of a modest-size Midwest city. A year ago, he was unknown outside his hometown; it was an uphill effort simply to get people to pronounce his name.

He was crystal clear: His goal had been to unify a divided nation and win up and down the ticket. That, he determined, was now served by leaving the race. He conceded politics can be ugly, but assured his supporters that at its best “it is moral; it is soul craft.”

Buttigieg as a candidate was so verbally nimble that his campaign could and did send him everywhere: Sunday shows, cable TV shows, town halls and “cattle calls” where voters could easily compare candidates. He more than held his own in any of those situations as well as in debates, where his performances ranged from good to superior. His access to voters and the media alike set the gold standard for openness and should win his communications director, Lis Smith, plaudits.

Moreover, at a time of divisiveness and populist fury, Buttigieg projected a calm, rational approach to politics and warned that a president’s job was to unite the country, not to glorify himself. He spoke out on behalf of veterans, for responsible internationalism and for greater awareness about mental health. He was often the adult in the room among much older candidates who were making ludicrous promises or snap judgments about receding from the world.

Where some voters and commentators saw calculation and robotic delivery, I saw earnest preparation and self-possession, two qualities in short supply these days. In the face of outbursts of bigotry from the likes of talk radio host Rush Limbaugh, Buttigieg reacted with dignity and reinforced that he is, in fact, an exemplar of family values. Buttigieg also helped Democrats recover their comfort level with people of faith and reclaim the language of faith for his party. In this and so many ways, he brought dignity and grace to his campaign and his party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/02/buttigieg-goes-out-with-style-grace-bright-future/

Archived