Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

16 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

This sort of assume that executives are cost conscience and aren't susceptible to industry incitements to spend money unnecessarily and out right corruption.

https://dbknews.com/2019/03/26/umd-umms-medical-system-mayor-catherine-pugh-baltimore-schools-profit-scandal/

(In general, are you really claiming that private industry never waste money?)

No. It doesn’t. Again, you are finding exceptions to a rule... also, your example kinda proves my point. The market settled it.. an executive might waste money, be self serving, ect, ect, but, they face consequences.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/politics/mayor-baltimore-resigns-book-scandal/index.html

No, i’m not.

Most executives have a incentive to cut costs, not spend wildly, which is my point. Are there exceptions, yes. That’s where the government has a role to play,

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

No. It doesn’t. Again, you are finding exceptions to a rule... 

I've lost your point then.

If I'm a cost conscious executive who is going to be given a trip by a medical device manufacturer, then that's an incentive to buy their stuff, no?

(even if there is no direct pro quid quo.  The executive at some level has to know that if they don't buy the stuff that in the future they might not get the trip.)

I'm also not sure I am.

"A recent example of the Justice Dept.’s success in anti-corruption is the prosecution of Olympus Corp.’s U.S. and Latin American units, announced March 1, 2016. Olympus, the largest U.S. distributor of endoscopes and related equipment, agreed to pay a staggering $646 million to resolve criminal and civil probes into illegal kickbacks and bribes to hospitals and doctors."

https://www.medicaldesignandoutsourcing.com/medical-device-enforcement-getting-serious-particularly-northeast/

It might not be the rule, but I'm also not sure it isn't much of an exception.

11 hours ago, Llevron said:

Im not saying you are wrong. Im just saying its unfortunate that we dont even think we can do better than a plan that still allows these pharmaceutical companies to make profit off of our health care. Again feel free to correct me where I am wrong, you clearly study this stuff more than I do. 

11 hours ago, No Excuses said:

And I think you meant to say insurance companies, rather than pharmaceutical, because you want a pharmaceutical sector that generates profits. It's a matter of how we regulate their sales to account for public benefit, without knee capping drug development.

Trump administration says Americans will be allowed to buy cheaper drugs from Canada

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Wednesday it will set up a system to allow Americans to legally import lower-cost prescription drugs from Canada, weakening a longstanding ban that had stood as a top priority for the politically powerful pharmaceutical industry.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar made the announcement Wednesday morning. Previous administrations had sided with the industry on importation, echoing its concerns that it could expose patients to risks from counterfeit or substandard medications.

Click on the link for the full article

26 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Exactly. Just mooch off countries that actually provide for their citizens. What kind of Dave Chapelle **** is this? 

Im asking because I’m curious 

can this not be seen as a way to increase competition?

Is it a method that’s proven to not work?

5 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It might be a good idea to get a better handle on the conversation you're going to jump into. I'm not going to rehash the whole thing. 

I've read the other posts. You've provided numbers for certain things which I appreciate. Not many people bother to do that kind of analysis. None of it particularly supports your assertion that the idea of Buttigieg being more impactful in swing states than in Indiana is "silly". If there's something you feel I don't have a handle on you're welcome to be specific about it, but I've been reading the thread over time, I'm not just jumping in. 

By impactful here I mean flipping a state from red to blue since it's a winner-take-all system. 

All of that said, I'm not sure VP picks matter that much in general. I agree with you there. I just disagree with your assertion that the notion (specifically in the case of Indiana vs swing states) is silly on its face. If you don't care to say any more about it that's up to you. Agree to disagree. 

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Im asking because I’m curious 

can this not be seen as a way to increase competition?

Is it a method that’s proven to not work?

It will probably work some, but it is at best inefficient and probably won't work to the extent that Trump wants/thinks, especially the way he wants to do it.

Drugs are heavily generated by US companies.  They sell their drugs to Canada (pharmacies, etc.) that then will sell them back to US companies (Trump isn't considering allowing individual people to sell/buy drugs).  You are creating a middle man in another country that is going to profit off of it.  To my knowledge, I don't think there is a reason that the Canadian pharmacies can't sell them to the US companies at higher prices.

And once they are in the US in the hand of a US company, the company can charge whatever they want for it.

It is away to prop up the Canadian pharmacy industry and moves our issue on prices from the drug companies to the import companies.

The other issue is that the drug companies do have options in this case.  They can (and do) limit what they sell to Canada, which might make it harder for Canadians to get drugs (and harder for them to be exported to the US).  Drug supplies in Canada are already an issue for some drugs (lower prices mean industry is less concerned with their supply to that country).

Which is why Canada is balking at the idea.

"Trump and Sanders want to ease imports of drugs from Canada. Canada says not so fast"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/trump-and-sanders-want-to-ease-imports-of-drugs-from-canada-canada-says-not-so-fast/2019/08/01/1f0f91a6-b463-11e9-acc8-1d847bacca73_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4c0614653ea0

If it becomes, I bought the drug for $30 in Canada, but can export it to the US and sell it for $100, then the supply in Canada is going to dry up pretty quickly (unless companies increase the supply to Canada).

(There is also the safety issue, but that's less of an issue if you don't allow individuals to order them online, etc., which Trump isn't talking about doing.  That would likely have the largest effect on prices, but also create a higher safety risk.)

Speaking of being offended, what do you all think of this?  

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/08/01/ellen-pompeo-slammed-for-calling-kamala-harris-overconfident-black-women-are-allowed-only-a-certain-amount-of-confidence/23784675/

Me, I generally tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until I realize they shouldn't.  I took that to simply mean she needed to pay attention to everyone else/the rest of her competition, but like "kid," this one blew up.

Oh, and to answer the earlier question, I'm at the point where I'd be happy with any combination of Warren/Harris/Buttegieg/Booker as the ticket.  I don't want Biden or Sanders on it.

I enjoy listening to Andrew Yang do his thing but he won't be around much longer.  And I guess I need to let Amy go.

The "kid" thing got under my skin a bit but not enough to make any noise about it. I definitely told my fiance how I felt about it. And I call people I consider less mature than me kid often, without even thinking about it until I thought about it. Maybe thats it dunno. 

I dont think saying shes overconfident is racist but this ****s gonna keep happening until we confront race as a country for real so whatves. I also didnt think they Baltimore being dirty thing was racist. It is dirty. Though I know Trump is a Klan member so im not opposed to calling him racist for sneezing if it pisses his other klansmen off. 

These things are usually pretty easy to answer. “Is Ellen Pompeo racist?” No. 

It’s a common problem for a small group of leftists who can’t help themselves from reading too much into people’s words. What then typically follows is clickbait journalism that takes reactionary outrage mobs on twitter and further give oxygen to pointless stories. 

All the while, actual racists go about their business.

44 minutes ago, killerbee99 said:

Right by my place..... Great, currently in Georgia but own a home in the Delhi area of Cincinnati about 10 min drive from the stadium.... Didn't know the turd was going there for a campaign 

I always like it when he's in the area, I find out pretty quickly who to unfollow, unfriend, and block. Three levels of dealing with morans.

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I also didnt think they Baltimore being dirty thing was racist. It is dirty.

I decided to keep my mouth shut when all the whining was going on about that

but that incident was the first time I’ve seen Baltimore referred to as anything other than a **** hole. Was interesting to see all the people who seem to think it’s not a **** hole.  Im not sure where they’ve been the last 20 years. But they all popped out at once. 

11 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

It’s a common problem for a small group of leftists who can’t help themselves from reading too much into people’s words. 

And if you spend majority of your time listening and discussing how everyone and everything is racist, then you’ll be inclined to see everything and everyone as racism as the first impression. 

Soemthing about being a hammer and everything looking like a nail. 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I decided to keep my mouth shut when all the whining was going on about that

but that incident was the first time I’ve seen Baltimore referred to as anything other than a **** hole. Was interesting to see all the people who seem to think it’s not a **** hole.  Im not sure where they’ve been the last 20 years. But they all popped out at once. 

I have to assume they have never been there. Or are just perpetually offended by Trump. I mean he brought it on himself and you cant really blame people for thinking anything that comes out of his mouth even slightly questionable is racist at this point. But it is what it is. I remember being outside of lexington market at 2am once thinking I drank more than I thought cause I could see the ground moving. 

No. It was rats. Enough to make a grown man want to cry. (seen the same thing in Hampton VA btw. Ill never forget that **** cause I touched one thinking it was a puppy) 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have to assume they have never been there. Or are just perpetually offended by Trump. I mean he brought it on himself and you cant really blame people for thinking anything that comes out of his mouth even slightly questionable is racist at this point. But it is what it is. I remember being outside of lexington market at 2am once thinking I drank more than I thought cause I could see the ground moving. 

No. It was rats. Enough to make a grown man want to cry. (seen the same thing in Hampton VA btw. Ill never forget that **** cause I touched one thinking it was a puppy) 

Yeah... Trump is to american politics what Snyder is to our local sports fans... it's to the point where people will find a reason to be angry about everything. And while it's deserved, it doesn't make the outraged look any less silly when they do it. There's enough there to criticize you don't need to make stuff up...

Baltimore is rat infested (as is most cities, that's quite literally where the rats go to live...)  It is a **** hole. Go look on zillow you can buy townhouses in downtown baltimore for 10k.  Single family homes for 50k. Inside a major City within a short drive of the nation's capital. It winds up on lists with titles like "Cities with the highest murder rate in the world". No one wants to live there. 

And the people who have long held elected positions over the area should be absolutely embarrassed and ashamed of what that area has turned into under their watch (as should some other areas of the country.)

But they're not. And the defenders aren't. And they all think Baltimore is great.

And we get op eds about how "I'd rather have a few rats than be a rat" so we're working with 3rd grade level come-backs.

The whole thing was hilarious to watch.

Also, if you know anyone that runs apartments in baltimore... 😂 ask them what they think about the area. 😂

3 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

My takeaway is that if you click the tweet, you will find out that Ellen Pompeo's kids are actually named Stella Luna, Sienna May, and Eli Ivery, which is great if you're trying to create new characters for Final Fantasy  

A man of culture I see. 

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also, if you know anyone that runs apartments in baltimore... 😂 ask them what they think about the area. 😂

I lived in bmore for years dude. I loved it when I lived it but I wont ever go back unless they PAY me. And i mean like 160ish minimum to get back there. Bmore does have its charm tho, dont get me wrong. And im unsure who to actually blame for the cities failing, but im sure its more difficult than I would image. 

But all that said, Trumps criticisms of the city are true. He didnt make that one up. The problem is he is the president and he uses stuff like this to get us to fight each other. And folks fall for it. 

and we are getting off topic. But I had to vent lol

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I want her to win so bad. I hope these people hear her. She should really be able to get some of Trumps voters from 2016 if she can reach enough ears. 

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I want her to win so bad. I hope these people hear her. She should really be able to get some of Trumps voters from 2016 if she can reach enough ears. 

One of the most qualified people to run for POTUS ever in this country. Her biggest weakness is that we have a vast population of very dumb, anti-intellectuals who will hold her intelligence and academic background against her.

Archived