Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

24 minutes ago, twa said:

What has she fought and won?

She went from a college drop out to get married to an undergrad degree at a public university, to law school as a mom and went from there to a tenured faculty member at Harvard law school and went from there to being a Senator.

I'm not a fan of some of her politics, but to suggest that she's not extremely independently accomplished is a joke.

Nobody just walks into a tenured position at Harvard, especially not somebody coming from state universities.

Just now, PeterMP said:

She went from a college drop out to get married to an undergrad degree at a public university, to law school as a mom and went from there to a tenured faculty member at Harvard law school and went from there to being a Senator.

I'm not a fan of some of her politics, but to suggest that she's not extremely independently accomplished is a joke.

Nobody just walks into a tenured position at Harvard, especially not somebody coming from state universities.

I was speaking politically

you left out fairly rich as well 

Warren is going to continue to win debates. She doesn't have to umm and ahh her way through answers because she speaks with conviction and says what she really thinks, whether or not you agree with the response. Donald Trump is actually similar, with the problem being that nearly everything he says and thinks is stupid and/or wrong. 

She's emphasized that she's not afraid and I find that credible. If I am remembering this correctly, during the first debate there was an abortion question and she was the only candidate actually willing to use the word "abortion" instead of some euphemism like "a woman's right to choose." If you are afraid to speak directly about a controversial issue people are going to pick up on that and find you less credible. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

One of the most qualified people to run for POTUS ever in this country. Her biggest weakness is that we have a vast population of very dumb, anti-intellectuals who will hold her intelligence and academic background against her.

Also a sizable portion of our country the things

- a woman should be president (I’ve heard this multiple times going back to 2016)

- a woman who behaves in debates the way she does is... I don’t even know what they say? ****y? Uppity? I forget but they find those behaviors as strong characteristics in men and negative ones in women

2 hours ago, Forehead said:

Speaking of being offended, what do you all think of this?  

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2019/08/01/ellen-pompeo-slammed-for-calling-kamala-harris-overconfident-black-women-are-allowed-only-a-certain-amount-of-confidence/23784675/

Me, I generally tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until I realize they shouldn't.  I took that to simply mean she needed to pay attention to everyone else/the rest of her competition, but like "kid," this one blew up.

Yeah that was just stupid. Apparently some people think that if you criticize a person its must only because you are prejudice against them in some way. There were even people saying she was being sexist.... Isnt she a public feminist? She should expect to be able to criticize Harris as a person and people take it as such. People make themselves look stupid.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

- a woman who behaves in debates the way she does is... I don’t even know what they say? ****y? Uppity? I forget but they find those behaviors as strong characteristics in men and negative ones in women

I almost want to see her on a ticket with Buttigieg. A female Harvard academic and a Gay Christian is going to cause a lot of heads to explode. 

Evangelicals are already losing their mind over Buttigieg.

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

two things about this are a problem for me. 

1- the obvious one, there is nothing inherently racist about calling a candidate over confident. 

2- The media magnifying twitter comments as if these crazies are representative of national attitudes.  Twitter is the Internets comment section, what a few of these people say isn't news and shouldn't be promoted as such. 

so as of last night, we have gabbard's flip

for how long has she dodged/pivoted away from her "controversial" assad statements? since she entered the race.

now we have a shift (as the need to make the next debate looms) from all the way up to anderson cooper's asking her three times about it right after the debate, where she did devolved into a slightly less enthused version of past pivoting  to where she finally, grudgingly, said she "wouldn't deny" he's tortured and murdered people...but then the bigger shift for her self-preservation came last night after cuomo (didn't watch the show, saw a clip so context may be relevant) asked her and she just went right to "assad is a brutal dictator..."etc. and then gave a defense of her past behaviors (willing to do anything talk to anyone to keep her "brother and sister"  soldiers safe)

also on gabbard (for conspiracy aficionados)

per the rooskie bot/support theme

there were more than a few media claims of tulsi having past issues with lgbtq community (i have not taken any kind of dive into it, so....)

but after seeing her strike at harris for stuff when there was an even better target for the same issues, i was reminded of how some of these type of manipulations, real or imagined, can/do work: you look for a cutout to do an attack rather than identify yourself as the adversary (old, basic technique)...so back tulsi, tulsi creates dissention within the party, particularly attacking other minority dem candidates, hopefully tying it to one of the big hot button issues of immigration/race/gender identity etc., and the longer and farther she goes the more damage/distraction done with no responsibility attached to the helpers :ph34r:

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

“Nominate me, and you get to see the president of the United States stand next to an American war veteran and explain why he chose to pretend to be disabled when it was his chance to serve.”

The only thing standing between him and the nomination are Democrats. :pint:

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

IMO tho, I think her appeal is that dudes want to have sex with her.

She was looking rather fine the other night if I do say so.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

there were more than a few media claims of tulsi having past issues with lgbtq community (i have not taken any kind of dive into it, so....)

I think she's openly admitted that she was grew up in an anti-gay household and was anti-gay when she was younger and as she grew and saw more of the world (served in the military), she changed her mind.

8 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I think she's openly admitted that she was grew up in an anti-gay household and was anti-gay when she was younger and as she grew and saw more of the world (served in the military), she changed her mind.

While I think she's dangerously naive or potentially very evil, I don't really like to go after people for things they believed years ago that they may have changed their mind on over the years.  I'm more worried about her current beliefs, policies, and horrendous things she either continues to promote, or refuses to own up to.  

21 minutes ago, JCB said:

Did any of y'all happen to catch Williamson on Anderson Cooper last night? Whoa. She went full Scientology on anti-depression meds, etc.

a former coworker told me to go look for it and i did

i never read on her, though was aware of her and her basic niche (only vaguely though)

as far scientologists (dunno if she is/was or not)....what can i say except a lot of negative stuff :)

funny thing for me 'bout her---she has more than a few solid observations and insights on various matters imv, though (and i'm doing my shallow dismissive thing here as much as being thoughtful) i turn off when she goes old hippy/new agey life-coach vibe....i'm just too much of a curmudgeon

tbf, even in the hippy days when i liked a lot of the "philosophy" and really liked to hang with a fair number of them (there was a very cool and large, active, commune in bird creek ak when i was a kid and into my early teens---loved it for many reasons :) but i was a little too out there with my humor, wasn't a young weed smoker (or drinker) and was too non-peaceful and militant in some ways/areas 

3 hours ago, PF Chang said:

Donald Trump is actually similar, with the problem being that nearly everything he says and thinks is stupid and/or wrong.

And that he can’t articulate any of his positions or back them up with factual content. And that he repeatedly contradicts himself. And that he resorts to childish name calling.  And that a lot of what he says are very blatant lies that he definitely knows are lies.

They’re actually nothing alike.

At this point it feels like Biden is getting the nomination because the media has gotten the message out that it has to be him.  There has been nothing he has said or done on the debate stage thus far that stands out or is spectacular.  He is just kind of there.  He likely only entered the race in the first place because he and his team saw all the coverage practically begging him to run.   It's not that I don't believe he can beat Trump, I do, however I wish I was a little more inspired to vote for a Democrat. I guess in 2020 merely doing my part to vote Trump out will be exciting enough. 

50 minutes ago, visionary said:

While I think she's dangerously naive or potentially very evil, I don't really like to go after people for things they believed years ago that they may have changed their mind on over the years.  I'm more worried about her current beliefs, policies, and horrendous things she either continues to promote, or refuses to own up to.  

I guess I'm just not sure what her beliefs are that make her dangerous.

Is not being involved in the ME, not striking at Iran, etc. a threat to NATO?

(If Russia wants to spread its influence of the ME, I say let it.  In the long run, I think that's going to be a losing position.  Though I don't think Putin cares about the long run.  He's looking at the here and now, his bank account, and staying in power.)

She seems to have a pretty good record of supporting the Ukraine.

(Now, IMO there are some red flags here.  She's been slow to criticize Assad.  I think (@No Excuses) there appears to be some issues with her flavor Hindu (she gets a lot of support from Indian Hindu nationalism organizations (but I wonder if that's just because she's not familiar with Hinduism on an international stage and she has moved back from that some).   She's not somebody I'd be excited to vote for, but she doesn't seem as bad as people are making her sound either.)

I have another question on the idea of decriminalizing illegal border crossings.  Is that akin to open borders?

Let's say:

1.  Somebody crosses the border illegally.

2.  They are picked up by border patrol, ICE, etc.

What happens next?

Biden is the biggest wet blanket the Dems could have picked for 2020 aside from Hilary.

Nobody is inspired or motivated by 78 yr old Biden. Nobody is turning out or exciting to vote for Biden

There is a good chance trump beats him easily and on the chance Biden wins, his presidency will amount to nothing. No meaningful legislation will be passed, no laws that change American lives and improve our status quo etc. and because of that, a lunatic like Trump Jr will just win in 2024. Biden is a lame duck and horrible pick imo. He’s a turkey sandwich. He’s comfortable, he’s familiar and he puts you to sleep without ever giving you any spice or sizzle 

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I guess I'm just not sure what her beliefs are that make her dangerous.

Is not being involved in the ME, not striking at Iran, etc. a threat to NATO?

(If Russia wants to spread its influence of the ME, I say let it.  In the long run, I think that's going to be a losing position.  Though I don't think Putin cares about the long run.  He's looking at the here and now and his bank account.)

She seems to have a pretty good record of supporting the Ukraine.

(Now, IMO there are some red flags here.  She's been slow to criticize Assad.  I think (@No Excuses) there appears to be some issues with her flavor Hindu (she gets a lot of support from Indian Hindu nationalism organizations (but I wonder if that's just because she's not familiar with Hinduism on an international stage and she has moved back from that some).   She's not somebody I'd be excited to vote for, but she doesn't seem as bad as people are making her sound either.)

She isn't just slow to criticize Assad, she shilled for him and Russia's atrocities in Syria for years, tweeted out dangerous conspiracies, and endangered rescue workers and human rights activists with her lies and propaganda.  (to summarize, though I'm probably leaving some things out)

I don't know much about her domestic policies, other than that she voted to restrict Syrian and Iraqi refugees and she didn't really say much about her own ideas the other night, but seemed like she didn't like anyone else's.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Biden is the biggest wet blanket the Dems could have picked for 2020 aside from Hilary.

Nobody is inspired or motivated by 78 yr old Biden. Nobody is turning out or exciting to vote for Biden

There is a good chance trump beats him easily and on the chance Biden wins, his presidency will amount to nothing. No meaningful legislation will be passed, no laws that change American lives and improve our status quo etc. and because of that, a lunatic like Trump Jr will just win in 2024. Biden is a lame duck and horrible pick imo. He’s a turkey sandwich. He’s comfortable, he’s familiar and he puts you to sleep without ever giving you any spice or sizzle 

Cant believe I’m defending him but this is not true. Nate Silver has been talking about how Biden is actually gaining in polls among people who are paying very close attention. 

The Biden voting demographic isn’t very active in digital media. He’s the comfortable choice for the 40+ primary voting crowd who is going to outvote then younger, more liberal base.

Archived