Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

The House and as an extension, Pelosi as leader of the House has a role to play in the larger election cycle.  They can help the Democrats win Senate seats and defeat Trump.

And the way you do that is pass reasonable legislation that the vast majority of Americans support and show how extreme this version of the Republican party is.  The vast majority of Americans support abortion being legal in the case of rape and incest.  The House should pass a bill making it legal (make illegal for states to make it illegal).

I doubt that McConnell will allow such a bill to come to a vote.  Guilt by association works.  If I'm a Democratic Senate candidate in most states, I'm happy to run against somebody based on the idea that your leadership won't even let this bill come to a vote.

Trump would (be more likely) to be forced to answer if he believes that abortion should be legal in the case of rape and incest.

The House should pass an infrastructure bill and pay for it by raising the estate tax on extremely wealthy people.

Minimum wage to $10.

It should be week after week a new very moderate bill. 

Now, this would make progressives mad.  Progressives would be mad that the abortion law only covered cases of rape and incest and didn't generally make abortion legal, only $10 for minimum wage, etc..

Progressives should support moderate legislation and vote for moderates (in some elections) because if they don't, you get an extreme right wing government (like we have now).

HRC is not equal to DJT.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

LOL, do you think the Presidential candidates wouldn't have to answer the same question regardless of what the House does?  

C'mon man, we are having this convo because how to go after Trump was put on a silver platter with the Mueller Report and Pelosi refuses to touch it.  This isnt about if she decided to proceed, this is a historical moment deciding not to and specificly to avoid losing an election versus doing their job as Congress.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As an aside, and I've said this before, if I were running for President, I would make it my policy to not talk about Trump except for 1 hour each Friday.  I would talk about the issues I want to talk about.  All of the candidates are constantly being asked about every dumbass and offensive thing Trump does, and he does dumbass and offensive things every single day.  I'd opt out of that conversation and have the conversation I want to have. 

Not against this.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am well aware of that.

@Springfield, do you consider yourself a low information voter?

Compared to many people here on ES, sure.  Compared to randoms across the city, probably not.

I subscribe to the Post, read that every day.  Most of my info comes from there, here or Reddit.  I don’t do cable news.  I don’t go to google and enter “Elizabeth Warren policy positions”.  Frankly, the amount of political info that I come across is just fine to me.  I don’t care to be that political junkie any more.  It’s too damn taxing to try and keep up with all of the (mostly) BS.

As primary time comes closer, I’ll gather more info as I see fit.  For now, watching the debates and reading the news sources that I do is just fine.  I’ve got a wife, two kids, a job, a social life and sports.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

C'mon man, we are having this convo because how to go after Trump was put on a silver platter with the Mueller Report and Pelosi refuses to touch it.  This isnt about if she decided to proceed, this is a historical moment deciding not to and specificly to avoid losing an election versus doing their job as Congress.

As with others, I'd fine with waiting until Mueller testifies.  If they decide to go forward with it, and it's not clear that the votes are there to impeach Trump, better to do it later this year or early-to-middle next year for maximum impact.  

I also put zero stock in the argument that impeachment should be pursued because of "history" or "it's their job."  The decision should be based 100% on whether it makes Trump's reelection more or less likely.  Impeachment is entirely a symbolic act, it will not result in Trump leaving office.  Dems shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot for some symbolism or because it makes some people feel good.  **** that, grow up (not directed at anyone in particular).  If they think it will damage Trump's reelection chances, they should do it.  If they think that once he's not convicted in the Senate (which is a 100% certainty) that the false cries of "TOTAL EXONERATION!" (also a 100% certainly) will move the needle the other way, they should not do it.  

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Compared to many people here on ES, sure.  Compared to randoms across the city, probably not.

I subscribe to the Post, read that every day.  Most of my info comes from there, here or Reddit.  I don’t do cable news.  I don’t go to google and enter “Elizabeth Warren policy positions”.  Frankly, the amount of political info that I come across is just fine to me.  I don’t care to be that political junkie any more.  It’s too damn taxing to try and keep up with all of the (mostly) BS.

As primary time comes closer, I’ll gather more info as I see fit.  For now, watching the debates and reading the news sources that I do is just fine.  I’ve got a wife, two kids, a job, a social life and sports.

That's fair.

Yeah, I ain't tryna diss because it is July of 2019.

All I am saying is don't wait for the media to tell you something when you can find out yourself.

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Republicans play identity politics as much as, if not more than, Democrats.  The identity they cater to is "white Christian non-urban" people.  And I don't know how anyone that voted for Trump can criticize anyone for appealing to people emotionally and not intellectually.  People voted for Trump because he makes them feel good when he attacks their perceived enemies, and he doesn't appeal to anyone intellectually (because he is a moron.)

The difference is all Democrats play identity politics (by definition that is what the Democratic party is about) while the same can't be said of all Republicans. Although lately it seems more and more are, certainly Trump and the Trumpsters. 

The most watched TV of all time will be Thursday night on CNN when the names are drawn to determine which of the two nights Marianne Williamson will take the stage for the second round of the Democratic debates. Convince me there isn't more hype for Marianne Williamson's placing than there was to see which team would draft Zion Williamson 😀

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

The most watched TV of all time will be Thursday night on CNN when the names are drawn to determine which of the two nights Marianne Williamson will take the stage for the second round of the Democratic debates. Convince me there isn't more hype for Marianne Williamson's placing than there was to see which team would draft Zion Williamson 😀

NBC is straight hoe'ing right now, is DNC getting a cut off this somehow?  Most of the single digit candadites are running out of money, why are we treating this like some reality TV show?

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Not sure she will see this unless she is tuned in watching live from the moon of Zatomi 5. 

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

CNN has been hyping the drawing like it's the NFL draft or something. 

18 hours ago, Springfield said:

Youre not a low information voter

the political junkies just have a warped view on the subject 

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Impeachment is entirely a symbolic act, it will not result in Trump leaving office.  Dems shouldn't shoot themselves in the foot for some symbolism or because it makes some people feel good.  **** that, grow up (not directed at anyone in particular).  If they think it will damage Trump's reelection chances, they should do it. 

I just want to say I don’t like this. At all. I don’t think a decision to bring a vote to impeach anyone should be based on how it impacts their re-election bid. 

I understand why you say/think that. I get it. I still don’t like it. 

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

why are we treating this like some reality TV show?

Cause that’s how we do things now. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Maybe most people just see through the schtick now, Bernie?

You think its people seeing through the "schtick" or that the other candidates co-opted his platform and its now mainstream? IMO, Bernie won just by having people believe they should get healthcare. This wasn't even on the Democratic Party platform in 2016, yet it was a big reason the Dems took over the House in 2018.

Bernie's failure is that he is old and not as good a communicator as the others.

In other news, Joe Biden is an idiot. 

Americans really either don't know history or can't help but sanitize history.

Archived