Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

37 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree, I don't think we're getting an answer on Tuesday night.

In regards to him refusing to leave, I think it's a strong possibility.  Here's the deal:  He's told us all along who he is and what he is, he hasn't deviated.  I'd say there's a 75% chance he doesn't leave.

I'd argue that if anything, Trump has been even worse than he indicated he would be. I think he's so massively unpredictable and mentally/emotionally unstable that almost anything is possible if he loses.

I know some of the "Trump won't leave and may do something insane to try and stay in office if he loses" theories may seem far-fetched but think back on how many times over the past 4 years many people have thought "No way would Trump cross that line"...until he did.

giphy.gif

Haven’t gotten much if any sleep this morning. Though I don’t feel tired, so it’s possible I did get some sleep without realizing it.   Spent a lot of time before going to bed thinking about what happens and what could be done if Trump wins/and or refuses to leave if he loses.  Then I spent more time thinking about the election in bed.  Some updates before going back to bed:

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm coming back from Nevada tonight and if there are shy Trump voters, I wouldn't know it from the about 20 folks I've seen proudly wearing their MAGA gear. Also have had a few conversations from folks who think the virus is a scam.

My other fear/conspiracy theory that I've been thinking of, there are people who have been polled who say they're voting for Biden, only to vote for Trump instead to help him push the "fake news/media is the enemy" angle.  Trump and his supporters will then be able to say "the media lied, the polls were wrong, the media is fake". 

And then there are people who say they're voting for Biden to their friends and family to get along and avoid conflict but they're not.  

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

there are people who have been polled who say they're voting for Biden, only to vote for Trump

I feel the same way, for years Trump has referred to the media as being fake and his people eat it up, why would we expect Trumpers to tell pollsters the truth.

It’s up to the people to foil Trump’s plot against democracy

As American democracy hurtles toward what could be its final crisis, we continue to hope that someone will ultimately rise up to save us, that somehow our institutions will protect us, that people in positions of authority will finally do the right thing. This faith in the resilience of democracy is endearing, but unfortunately all it has done these past four years is blind and paralyze us. Believing that the only problem was President Trump and his authoritarian inclinations, we have looked to those around him — in the White House, in the Justice Department, in Congress and in the courts — to control and contain him, presumably out of some innate love of democracy.

It did not occur to us that men and women with respectable résumés might be just as willing to subvert the democratic system as Trump himself, as if U.S. officials alone were immune from the temptations of power. The consequence of this self-delusion is that we have now almost run out of chances to stop them.

Trump and his supporters have told us exactly how they plan to hold onto power regardless of the election outcome. The president began declaring the election “rigged” even before early voting began, and he has yet to say that he will respect a result that does not favor him. Republicans in hotly contested states are already planning to bring lawsuits alleging fraud, miscounts, tainted ballots and other irregularities.

The national intelligence director, John Ratcliffe, has set the predicate for charges of foreign interference by overhyping alleged Iranian manipulation before the election. When Ratcliffe finds evidence of Iranian and other foreign interference, as he surely will, Attorney General William P. Barr will call for an investigation. Anyone in the intelligence community who disputes Ratcliffe’s claims will either be silenced or fired. Trump officials are already leaking that FBI Director Christopher A. Wray, CIA Director Gina Haspel and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper might be removed after the election. The claims of Republican state legislatures and the results of the “investigation” into foreign meddling will then come before the Supreme Court, which, with a solid 6-to-3 conservative majority, will put its stamp of legitimacy on the stolen election.

We have been told that Trump is too lazy, ignorant and incompetent to pull off this kind of coup. But what of the people who both serve him and benefit from him? We look at people such as Barr and White House chief of staff Mark Meadows as engaged in a balancing act, trying to preserve some moral and legal scruples while doing the president’s bidding. That is how we viewed those who came before them, including those former generals who served in the administration: John Kelly, H.R. McMaster and Jim Mattis.

This is naive. People enter government out of a blend of conviction and ambition. Few joined the Trump administration out of conviction. To justify their decision, they told themselves, and us, that it was because Trump was dangerous and incompetent that good people had to go in. They would “serve” the nation by protecting us from the man who gave them their job and whose pleasure they served. We wanted to believe them. We slept better at night knowing that “adults” were in the room. They provided a facade of normalcy and competence, implicitly assuring us with their mere presence that it was safe to go about life as if our democracy was not, in fact, in peril. But it was, of course, and the “adults” did nothing to alert us, much less save us. It took a mid-level official to reveal Trump and his gang’s malfeasance in Ukraine in real time. Had it just been up to the “adults,” and the hundreds of other political appointees, we would never have known.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

538 has the margin as Biden +8.8 because they don't include polls released by Trump PACs with shady methodologies.  

538 forecast up to 89% chance of Biden winning.

Economist at 95%.

Yea, they roll in polls like Trafalgar and something from Sean Hannity's media company or something! I just liked the breakdown as people keep saying the polls are going to swing 5+ points to Trump. Hasn't happen in 2016. Didn't happen nationally in 2018 when it was a referendum of his presidency, but it HAS happened for Democrats in the past 4 elections. 

If that poll aggregator is wrong, it's more likely to swing to blue than red. 

People realizing that Trump can still win this does beg the question again of how much Joe can win the overall PV by and stilll lose the EC. It was always assumed that Joe was going to win the PV, but the polls (again, a big IF) suggest he's going to take it by at least five percentage points. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah Trafalgar and Rassmusen are two of the usual suspects that always tend to tilt way towards Republicans and have some pretty iffy methodologies. 

Those 2 have iffy methods and big house effects towards Rs. But they are actual scietific polls.  RCP average also includes “polls” conjured by outfits like “The Institute for American Greatness” that have Trump up 8 nationally, which significantly skews the results. 

Example:  https://amgreatness.com/2020/10/26/trump-takes-the-lead-in-pennsylvania-3-per-new-poll/

25 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah but what it is, ain't exactly clear

It’s kind of clear and it looks very good for Biden.

Trump will be playing from behind in Texas when polls open on Election Day. It will be close but Biden has a real shot. 

Archived