Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Here's one point where I disagreed with Lincoln, the flame of the Confederacy needed to be extinguished not allowed to smolder or be celebrated. The anti-Unionists lost, that's the price of losing.

The only difference?  We would today be tearing down statues of northerners who perpetrated heinous crimes against southerners ( guilty and innocent).  And a whole lot more people would've died.  There would be a sense of justice to it, but that's not enough.

38 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

What about all those Southern states? 

Alexandria has one facing South at the intersection of King and Prince streets.

The City of Alexandria has already unanimously voted to remove that statue (and rename Jefferson Davis highway) but the state assembly blocked it.  Perhaps that will change after Charlottesville.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

Difference between Lee and Washington was Washington was not fighting for the institution of slavery. Yes he had slaves, yes he was flawed, but his cause wasn't slavery

Lee, by choosing to lead the army of Northern Virginia, made his cause slavery and treason

Agreed. As much as we shouldn't accept it, we're far more rational today than at any time in the history of modern humanity and we can't completely judge people born in the 17th century with 21st century morals. Instead we can be disappointed it took so long for us to get to where we are today (which in some cases, still isn't very far).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'd love to get rid of the MD flag, that'd be awesome.  But that would incite a big riot, I bet.  Marylanders love that flag more than anything and put it on anything they damn well can.

5 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

What is the endgame as far as removing all signs that the Confederacy ever existed? 

Making people feel better.

I'm sure we've all driven or walked past a statue of a Confederate before and not known who it is or what they did and not bothered to learn about them.  All of a sudden, it's a big deal.

My guess is that cities are doing away with these things quickly in a response to the White Nationalists before they can organize and move on from Charlottesville and on to another target. 

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

However, the Maryland Historical Society states that the design combining the Calvert and Crossland families actually predates the Civil War by two centuries.

"Whether or not the Confederacy adopted the symbol for their cause has nothing to do with the design’s original intent," Maryland Historical Society’s President and CEO Mark Letzer wrote in a statement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

What is the endgame as far as removing all signs that the Confederacy ever existed? 

Removing monuments honoring the Confederacy.

Most were built decades after the Civil War and served no purpose but to antagonize those who were pushing for Civil Rights during the movement.

Robert E. Lee and Jeb Stuart High Schools in Fairfax county weren't built and named in 1863

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, General NSJ said:

Is anybody really asking for that?

Personally, I'd settle for not having my tax dollars subsidizing statues that glorify Confederates.

I'd rather see statues of guys who fought for righteous causes. Like the guys who crushed Hitler, for instance.

• Like 5