Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Like Trump trademarked "Make America Great Again" or whatever ripoff from Reagan. Dems should snag a version of "There you go again" from Ronnie and just use it over and over for the next two years with ads not just around the election, The economy, healthcare, education, whatever.

Ted Cruz says he supports Israel but has a terrible record with Jewish-Americans? There you go again, Ted.

GOP says they are for lower spending and lower debt? There you go again, GOP. Nobody in your party was alive the last time you actually practiced what you preached.

You guys are against Big Government? There you go again, banning books and trying to tell private companies what to do related to LGBTQ+ issues.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I notice he does not provide a source. 

House Energy and Commerce Committee... but, the letter indicates Puerto Rico plus other international travel and lists the countries.

I actually think this is request is fair and legitimate AND could be also be used for a political purpose.  

I notice he does not provide a source. 

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

House Energy and Commerce Committee... but, the letter indicates Puerto Rico plus other international travel and lists the countries.

I actually think this is request is fair and legitimate AND could be also be used for a political purpose.  

Here's a link

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

40 minutes ago, China said:

Here's a link

Thanks.  I know I suck at Twitter but where was that?  I missed it.

Making Arkansas worse again

With the 2023 legislative session blessedly at its end, Arkansas progressives (plus moderates and anyone to the left of the Proud Boys) know what complete and utter political defeat looks like. It’s this: tax cuts for the wealthy and out-of-state investors, even as children in the state go hungry; universal vouchers to subsidize wealthy families’ private school tuitions while denigrating and defunding the traditional public schools that educate the masses; no budging on a near-total abortion ban, not even for victims of incest or women carrying fetuses destined to die before birth or to suffer for only a few torturous hours beyond it; a barrage of new laws that do nothing but hammer home the message that transgender Arkansans are not welcome and will not be accommodated.

Supercharged by a mountain of MAGA money and an even bigger ego, Gov. Sarah Sanders called all the shots. The supermajority Republican legislature raced to do her bidding. Their rubber stamp on all of Sanders’ priorities (vouchers, prison expansion, tax cuts) marked a vast departure from the last administration, when Asa Hutchinson’s pro-gun, pro-life record failed to impress an increasingly insane right-wing extremist legislative branch. Where Hutchinson recoiled from drama, Sanders pursued it, eager to throw Trumpian blows of staggering cruelty if it landed her on Fox News. Her foot soldiers didn’t seem to mind Sanders’ obvious bid to get out of Arkansas and back on the national stage as soon as possible. It wouldn’t have mattered if they did. Republican lawmakers knew to expect a primary challenger to knock them out of office if they dared veer out of lockstep.

https://arktimes.com/news/cover-stories/2023/04/25/making-arkansas-worse-again

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

You were correct that the Twitter didn't include a link.  I had to Google it and saw the link in less than 2 minutes.  

So now I've read it AND the letter that was sent.  To me, the letter is clearly about two different types of travel, to PR AND international.  This dude is manipulating what was said.  Probably why it was light on quotation marks and links.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Spelling

So now I've read it AND the letter that was sent.  To me, the letter is clearly about two different types of travel, to PR AND international.  This dude is manipulating what was said.  Probably why it was light on quotation marks and links.

Had it been titled "E&C GOP Probe Energy Secretary on Frequent Domestic & International Travel"...then I'd agree. 

Including trips to PR in it is ludicrous as titled. We can agree on that right? 

Edited by The Evil Genius

17 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Had it been titled "E&C GOP Probe Energy Secretary on Frequent Domestic & International Travel"...then I'd agree. 

18 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking me?  I just thing the guy who tweeted was being disingenuous. 

Montana House votes to censure transgender lawmaker

Montana House Republicans on Wednesday voted to censure Democratic Rep. Zooey Zephyr.

All 68 House Republicans voted to censure Zephyr, while the body’s 32 Democrats voted against it.

Zephyr, one of the state’s first openly transgender lawmakers, will be barred from the House floor, anteroom and gallery for the remainder of the session. She has the option to participate remotely, but only by voting.

Zephyr has been unable to speak on a bill for more than a week after she said lawmakers who voted to pass a measure preventing transgender youths from accessing gender-affirming health care would have “blood on your hands.”

The Montana Freedom Caucus, a coalition of state House and Senate Republicans, responded by calling for Zephyr’s immediate censure, accusing her of attempting to shame members of the legislature by using “inappropriate and uncalled-for language.”

“This kind of hateful rhetoric from an elected official is exactly why tragedies such as the Covenant Christian School shooting in Nashville occurred,” the group wrote last week in a statement, referring to a mass shooting in Tennessee last month that left six people dead, including three 9-year-old students.

Local authorities immediately after the shooting said they believed the suspect, 28-year-old Audrey Hale, who was fatally shot by police, was transgender. Nearly a month later, Hale’s gender identity remains unclear.

The Montana Freedom Caucus in its statement also repeatedly misgendered Zephyr by referring to her using male pronouns.

Demonstrators gathered Monday at the state capitol building in Helena to protest the continued silencing of Zephyr. Seven were arrested for criminal trespass after shouts of “Let her speak!” and “Whose House? Our House!” from the gallery drowned out legislative debate on the floor.

House Republicans characterized Monday’s protest as a “riot by far-left agitators.” The House gallery on Wednesday was closed to the public.

On Wednesday, Montana Republicans argued that Zephyr incited and “actively participated in disrupting the lawful activities” of the state legislature.

“This conduct cannot be allowed to stand,” Republican Rep. Sue Vinton, who sponsored the motion to censure Zephyr, said Wednesday.

“I find that there’s been a pattern of unwillingness to listen to a diverse set of opinions on the bills in front of us, and that is our job,” Democratic Rep. SJ Howell, who is transgender nonbinary, said during Wednesday’s floor session.

“There are deeply held disagreements about the bills that we hear, about the policies that we are debating, and those disagreements are part of the process,” they said. “We have to be able to discuss them, even when it’s uncomfortable.”

Zephyr on Wednesday defended her words, which she said accurately captured the gravity of the bill’s consequences.

“When I rose up and said there is blood on your hands, I was not being hyperbolic. I was speaking of the real consequences of the votes that we legislators take in this body,” she said.

“And when the speaker asks me to apologize on behalf of decorum, what he’s really asking me to do is be silent, when my community is facing bills that get us killed.”

Click on the link for the full article

Utah governor buries right-wing conspiracist during ambush: 'Stop making stuff up'

In a confrontation that was captured on video, a former congressional candidate spouting a far-right conspiracy theory ambushed Utah Gov. Spencer Cox, asking him about a “smart city” he said was being built at the site of the former Utah State Prison, The Salt Lake City Tribune reported.

But Cox hit back.

“You like to make up conspiracy theories,” he said to the former candidate, Jason Preston.

“I know it’s good for your brand, I hope that works for you, but you don’t get to make up s--- about me. Good luck.”

He added, while tapping his fists on Preston's chest: "I don’t know what you’re talking about. There’s no such thing as a smart city. Stop making stuff up to try to make me look bad. You don’t like to have real conversations."

The confrontation happened at the Utah Republican Party organizing convention, the Tribune reported. Preston suggested that the state prison was being turned in a so-called "15-minute city," a concept that aims to put everyday destinations within 15 minutes of people's homes.

Click on the link for the full article 

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

That won't sit well with her base. I know that. 

"Oh, she wasn't talking about ME or my friend/relative/co-worker/etc. She was talking about other people who do that."

Boom. Now the ones that bother to care what she actually says can justify it. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1