Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Companies shut down plants and move production outside the USA with less concern for employees than these mofo's worrying about narc dogs. Oh, and their handlers.

I forgot: those handlers have unions to protect their jobs. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Gonna add “retraining pot-sniffing dogs” to the list of expertise.

You can laugh all you want but I grew up with k9’s in the house and have worked with them. 

I have no real expertise but know enough to know dogs are fascinating in what they’re really good at 

Unfortunately, the actual discussion here is not whether dogs are Good Dogs. It's whether "hey, we spent money in anticipation of using it a certain way, therefore we must continue to spend piles more money on criminalizing recreation." is a funny joke. 

Edited by Larry

9 hours ago, tshile said:

I’m just pointing out it’s a real problem

I think this is where you are losing people by calling it a real problem. Lots of things are real problems. What do we do with trained weed dogs and their trainers is pretty far down the totem pole of problems, not just in general, but it’s far down on the list of problems just specifically related to marijuana and it’s legalization 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, tshile said:

And it is a big deal. Obviously it’s not as big as some other issues but it’s a big deal. Those dogs and trainers cost money and are not easily replaced in terms of timeline. 

Sorry man, I'm not going to be swayed by "We can't legalize weed, think of the Sunk Cost Fallacy!" I could maybe buy the argument of "Hey, let's do a transition period, Marijuana will be fully federally legalized by 2030, so these departments can stop using these programs and begin attrition now to reduce to cost by that time," but I'd also be highly suspicious that police departments would simply refuse to do any planning ahead, continue to keep the K9 units fully staffed, then cry the same tune in 2030 and demand another pushback. It's not like there hasn't been a major push toward legalization over the last decade that these departments could have seen coming a mile away and have a backup plan for just that, but it seems like 99% of the time the police are like the military in terms of "hey, we need as much funding as possible this year, then we need to find some way (no matter how stupid or pointless) to spend it all so we can ask for more money next year, and repeat the cycle!"

I'm also not swayed by the idea that a dog's job is more important than a human's freedom, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think this is where you are losing people by calling it a real problem. Lots of things are real problems. What do we do with trained weed dogs and their trainers is pretty far down the totem pole of problems, not just in general, but it’s far down on the list of problems just specifically related to marijuana and it’s legalization 

I don't know if people here are being intentionally ignorant or what but all he said was its a real problem.  He didn't say it was one that justified keeping pot illegal.

The part of the issue with dogs I think worth noting is the holes in security it brings.  Let's say legalized weed leads to it coming into airports now is just like cigarettes in your pocket. The drug dogs will now start alerting all over the place.  The handlers can't search those people now because they could very well just have a legal product.  But without those dogs, how much more illicit items (drugs, currency, etc) get through?  Because those dogs aren't trained to alert to JUST pot or not.

Edit:  here is a link for those that care enough to comment but not enough to bother to spend the same amount of time Googleing the topic first. 

The dogs trained on multiple drugs alert in the same way for all of them, so it’s impossible to tell whether they are indicating the presence of marijuana or an illicit drug. The dogs also cannot distinguish between a small, legal amount of marijuana or a larger, still-illegal amount of the drug. For police, that means they can no longer be used to establish probable cause for a search.

“We won’t use our dogs trained in marijuana because that could be a defense an attorney would raise for a client, to say, ’Which odor did the K-9 alert on — was it marijuana or was it an illegal drug?” said Bedford County Sheriff Mike Miller.

https://apnews.com/article/va-state-wire-police-marijuana-marijuana-legalization-253af1ba6e541060085108e027b367c1

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:13 AM, GhostofSparta said:

but it seems like 99% of the time the police are like the military in terms of "hey, we need as much funding as possible this year, then we need to find some way (no matter how stupid or pointless) to spend it all so we can ask for more money next year, and repeat the cycle!"

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't know if people here are being intentionally ignorant or what but all he said was its a real problem.  He didn't say it was one that justified keeping pot illegal.

The part of the issue with dogs I think worth noting is the holes in security it brings.  Let's say legalized weed leads to it coming into airports now is just like cigarettes in your pocket. The drug dogs will now start alerting all over the place.  The handlers can't search those people now because they could very well just have a legal product.  But without those dogs, how much more illicit items (drugs, currency, etc) get through?  Because those dogs aren't trained to alert to JUST pot or not.

Edit:  here is a link for those that care enough to comment but not enough to bother to spend the same amount of time Googleing the topic first. 

Why not have TSA make marijuana a prohibited item then?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1