Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

They played multiple songs before the anthem? One of them being known as the black national anthem.

I liked that performance, wasn’t aware it was a black anthem but based on the lyrics I figured it was something to do with social Justice. That was probably the best musical performance of the game… based purely on the performance.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I can get behind that. Or even just the general idea of changing what we have. Although I find the “he was a slave owner” argument stupid because that’s, unfortunately, what most wealthy/prominent people were back then… and the idea that the parts of the song no one sings (and few even know) may or may not be racist (depending on who you ask) doesn’t do much for me. So im not a huge fan or changing it, but, whatever. 

but this idea is two anthems and ones for white people and ones for black propel 

😂

sorry. But sometimes things are just ridiculous and don’t even make sense. 

Im sure having two anthems for people depending on the color of their skin will do lots to help unite people and get us through the problems going on 😂 

I agree. What are we doing? It seems like some of the ideas that people are having are inching us closer to segregation. And I understand that the reasoning is because they didn't have a say in decisions that were made...but dividing is dividing. 

And to your point of just eliminating anything historical that is connected to someone who owned slaves or was built by slaves or something like that...well then you're treading into just blowing up anything with any history. I don't believe that's the answer either. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree. What are we doing? It seems like some of the ideas that people are having are inching us closer to segregation. And I understand that the reasoning is because they didn't have a say in decisions that were made...but dividing is dividing. 

And to your point of just eliminating anything historical that is connected to someone who owned slaves or was built by slaves or something like that...well then you're treading into just blowing up anything with any history. I don't believe that's the answer either. 

yup. It’s sort of like American born and raised, never left the country, claiming they’re <whatever>-American. It’s interesting to watch people clamor for “equality” while spending so much time defining themselves as different (for some it becomes their entire identity)

but ultimately racism is alive and well so I get it. Just seems counter productive. And sometimes silly.  But what do I know. 

im still not even sure if “black national anthem” is something black people call it, or if it’s something white people call it. Cause those would have two different meanings behind them. 

This just goes on the list with the other “ooooooook, guess this is a thing” things. 

The amount of effort and time spent on things solely because adults can’t just be nice and respectful of each other is nuts. 

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

Although I find the “he was a slave owner” argument stupid because that’s, unfortunately, what most wealthy/prominent people were back then…

Francis Scott Key was a founding member of the American Colonization Society. He also went after abolitionists when he was the DA of DC. Oh but he was just a man of his time right? We shouldn't judge him so harshly. 🤪

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

Francis Scott Key was a founding member of the American Colonization Society. He also went after abolitionists when he was the DA of DC. Oh but he was just a man of his time right? 🤪

Well, yeah, he was. it’s unfortunate but it is the way things were for a very long time. 

and as I said - not against changing it. 

having two is dumb. Seems like the route we’re on at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Francis Scott Key was a founding member of the American Colonization Society. He also went after abolitionists when he was the DA of DC. Oh but he was just a man of his time right? We shouldn't judge him so harshly. 🤪

I'm not speaking for @tshile, but I have an opinion on this...

We are an almost 250-year old country. It's going to become more and more common when we encounter things that were built or discovered or invented or put into law by flawed individuals, individuals who were a product of a time that doesn't stand up to today's society, or sometimes just bad individuals. We are going to have to separate the things from the individuals unless we are going to start over every couple of decades. I don't think European countries scrap their histories or culture every generation because their ancestors weren't as progressive as today's humans are. And their histories date back much further than ours. 

It's possible for a bad man to create something of value for us to use. We don't need to trash everything that can be attributed to someone who didn't lead a perfect life based on today's standards. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins
  • Like 2

Yeah the only thing I would add is there’s a line. Like I don’t mind taking down statues that were built to antagonize people - and usually it’s pretty clear based on when it was put up, where it was put up, and what exactly was put up. But I think there are certainly statues for confederates that shouldn’t be taken down. 

the problem is everyone draws that line in a different place, and of course there’s extremes on both sides taking an all or nothing approach. 

Edited by tshile

Francis Scott Key was on the wrong side of history. 

“Are you willing, gentlemen, to abandon your country, to permit it to be taken from you, and occupied by the abolitionist, according to whose taste it is to associate and amalgamate with the negro? Or, gentlemen, on the other hand, are there laws in this community to defend you from the immediate abolitionist, who would open upon you the floodgates of such extensive wickedness and mischief?”

Yeah he sounds like a really great dude. If he were alive today he'd be 1000% MAGA. 🤪

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah the only thing I would add is there’s a line. Like I don’t mind taking down statues that were built to antagonize people - and usually it’s pretty clear based on when it was put up, where it was put up, and what exactly was put up. But I think there are certainly statues for confederates that shouldn’t be taken down. 

the problem is everyone draws that line in a different place, and of course there’s extremes on both sides taking an all or nothing approach. 

In general, I think we need to stop putting up statues of PEOPLE because eventually in the future something they've said or done will become offensive or taboo. Let's memorialize events or things, not people. We are flawed. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Yeah he sounds like a really great dude. If he were alive today he'd be 1000% MAGA. 🤪

Well. Ok. 

reality is people are influenced en mass by trends all the time and it’s always been that way.

it cracks me up when modern day people start projecting how they would have been 200+ years ago, or if the tables were reversed, without 200+ years of advancement in civility. 

same group of people we have to worry about eating tide pods or a chicken braised in NyQuil. 

yeah sure everyone today would have seen the real truth about equality and society had they been born 250 years ago 🙄

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In general, I think we need to stop putting up statues of PEOPLE because eventually in the future something they've said or done will become offensive or taboo. Let's memorialize events or things, not people. We are flawed. 

Probably easier to deal with the arguing over it, although I’m not sure making it about events will do anything. It’s not hard to see how that would become the next issue. 

but I personally am fine with statues to people. But I don’t really have a problem with the discussion over them, I usually find it pretty easy to see if a statue was done in honest remembrance or to antagonize (although I haven’t looked at every statue so maybe there are some I’d have a hard time with idk…). 

I just don’t think it’s hard to separate something someone did that’s worth celebrating or caring about, from the idea that they did other things that aren’t good and worth celebrating. 

Hard to have conversations with people though. Once they find out you’re not in lockstep agreement, they tend to get angry. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Some folks are on the right side of history. Others aren't. FSK is one of the others. 🤷‍♂️

I have no problem judging historical figures by today's standards. Especially since so many are wrongly put up on pedestals. Such as folks like Key or George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. 

Jefferson for example was a slave owning pedophile. Yet plenty of folks say how dare you judge him today.

I'll just go back to eating tide pods apparently. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Bernie Bros spraining their arms patting themselves on the back because they can lay claim to being slightly less racist than folks that lived 300 years ago will forever be amusing to me.

Of course, when Hilldog/Sleepy Joe cleans up with the black vote…that arm stiffness goes away real quick!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Bernie Bros spraining their arms patting themselves on the back because they can lay claim to being slightly less racist than folks that lived 300 years ago will forever be amusing to me.

Of course, when Hilldog/Sleepy Joe cleans up with the black vote…that arm stiffness goes away real quick!!

says resident trump voter 😂 

• Haha 1

Fwiw we should be talking more about the He Gets Us/Hobby Lobby cult (as well as the Scientology cult) commercials from yesterday.

They were the worst.

Yeah..let's forgive those stupid ****s who stormed the Capitol. Nothing like a little anti LGBTQ hate funding to spread love. 🙄

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 2

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

Probably easier to deal with the arguing over it, although I’m not sure making it about events will do anything. It’s not hard to see how that would become the next issue. 

but I personally am fine with statues to people. But I don’t really have a problem with the discussion over them, I usually find it pretty easy to see if a statue was done in honest remembrance or to antagonize (although I haven’t looked at every statue so maybe there are some I’d have a hard time with idk…). 

I just don’t think it’s hard to separate something someone did that’s worth celebrating or caring about, from the idea that they did other things that aren’t good and worth celebrating. 

Hard to have conversations with people though. Once they find out you’re not in lockstep agreement, they tend to get angry. 

Yeah, it just seems like a hornets' nest, but depends on the significance. For example, we should always have statues to George Washington...and actually all presidents. They were elected by our citizens. 

But, I had this thought more about less important things...sports, for example. I wouldn't ever build a statue to a coach or player if I was a team. Eventually, something controversial will come out about that person to put pressure on the team/organization to remove or pull down the statue. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But, I had this thought more about less important things...sports, for example. I wouldn't ever build a statue to a coach or player if I was a team. Eventually, something controversial will come out about that person to put pressure on the team/organization to remove or pull down the statue. 

Except Gibbs!

;)

Apparently the song was labeled a Negro National Anthem in early 1900s by the NAACP and used throughout the last 100 years in that vein, including during the Civil rights movement.  I don't think this fits some "oh, the woke crowd wants two anthems now" narrative.  

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/lift-every-voice-and-sing-lyrics-history/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, it just seems like a hornets' nest, but depends on the significance. For example, we should always have statues to George Washington...and actually all presidents. They were elected by our citizens. 

Cool. The Trump statue can go in your front yard. 🤣

Warren Harding doesn't deserve a statue. Andrew Johnson doesn't deserve a statue. Andrew Jackson has a statue and that **** should be torn down. 🤷‍♂️