Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

What was the SB song controversy?  I was kind of upset that Babyface was treated as still relevant, but, like, it’s the pregame bull**** so who cares. 

They played multiple songs before the anthem? One of them being known as the black national anthem.

• Thanks 1

Aren't these the same people that said they are already boycotting the NFL (and NBA and MLB, Coke, Delta, Nike, Target, ****ing NASCAR (when they banned the confederate flag), Keurig, AT&T, the entire "mainstream media" apparatus, Harley Davidson, Dr. Suess, school libraries, Disney, and Starbucks (and, I'm sure, many others))?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wait we have two anthems now?

I had the **** on mute so I saw some of this but had no idea what was going on 

"Lift every voice and sing" has been around for a hundred+ years and unlike the SSB, it wasn't written by a racist pro slavery anti abolitionist.  It also doesn't include pro slavery lyrics in its verses. 

To me, MAGAt snowflakes just want to complain about anything inclusive. 

Also..I wonder how much their heads would explode when they find out that their country hero Chris Stapleton was/is pro BLM. 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

"Lift every voice and sing" has been around for a hundred+ years and unlike the SSB, it wasn't written by a racist pro slavery anti abolitionist.  It also doesn't include pro slavery lyrics in its verses. 

To me, MAGAt snowflakes just want to complain about anything inclusive. 

Right. But one is the national anthem and the other is just a song. 

but now I’m hearing it’s the “black national anthem”

just trying to keep up. 

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

just trying to keep up. 

I'm curious too...how long has this been considered the black national anthem or something that is supposed to be given as much respect as the national anthem? 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah, I honestly had no idea there was a second national anthem that was played before games. I haven't gone to games in-person in a long time...how long have sports been playing both? I'm just asking

This is the first time it was played on the field before the Super Bowl. Last year it was played outside Sofi stadium. The year before it was performed by Alicia Keys but was pre recorded. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles

So does this mean we get to watch different groups of people kneel during different anthems and everyone argue about what it does or doesn’t mean? Who is and isn’t disrespectful, and even what is they’re disrespecting?

this will be great fun then

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

This is the first time it was played on the field before the Super Bowl. Last year it was played outside Sofi stadium. The year before it was performed by Alicia Keys but was pre recorded. 

hahaha 

OK, so the people blowing a gasket over some of us not being aware of it before a major sporting event are somewhat out of line then. This was, in other words, unprecedented in American sports history. Got it. 

56 minutes ago, tshile said:

just trying to keep up. 

32 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm curious too...how long has this been considered the black national anthem or something that is supposed to be given as much respect as the national anthem? 

I think it would be more accurate to say it is CONSIDERED BY SOME to be "the black national anthem."  It's just a description.  The SSB remains the only actual national anthem, which status it gained by an act of Congress in 1931.  

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

So does this mean we get to watch different groups of people kneel during different anthems and everyone argue about what it does or doesn’t mean? Who is and isn’t disrespectful, and even what is they’re disrespecting?

this will be great fun then

Likely no.  What will happen is that certain groups will claim that they are boycotting the NFL but then not actually follow through, that way they'll think their enemies are "owned" but won't have to actually live their values or inconvenience themselves in any way.  

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

hahaha 

OK, so the people blowing a gasket over some of us not being aware of it before a major sporting event are somewhat out of line then.

People are blowing gaskets?

This was, in other words, unprecedented in American sports history. Got it. 

Meh.  NFL is a private enterprise and they can set up their pregame show however they want it.  If people don't like it, they can start watching from kickoff (or not watch at all I guess).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, bearrock said:

People are blowing gaskets?

Meh.  NFL is a private enterprise and they can set up their pregame show however they want it.  If people don't like it, they can start watching from kickoff (or not watch at all I guess).

Maybe not blowing gaskets...but I didn't love the "Dudes, really" that we got simply because I wasn't aware that the signing of that song happened before games. And, as it turns out, it seems like it doesn't. 

• Like 1

There are definitely people blowing gaskets elsewhere. I started reading some and got distracted 

It’s nice not paying attention to all the bull****. Sure, you have to figure it out on the fly when it randomly shows up in your orbit, but not a big deal and outside of that it’s nice to just not deal with all the nonsense daily 😂 

• Like 1

Fwiw Lift every voice and Sing was played before every NFL game starting in 2021, I think. 

So 2 years now? 

Edit...

Fwiw part 2 that no cares about 😆.

I think America The Beautiful is 100x better than the Star Spangled Banner and should have been our anthem. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw part 2 that no cares about 😆.

I think America The Beautiful is 100x better than the Star Spangled Banner and should have been our anthem

I can get behind that. Or even just the general idea of changing what we have. Although I find the “he was a slave owner” argument stupid because that’s, unfortunately, what most wealthy/prominent people were back then… and the idea that the parts of the song no one sings (and few even know) may or may not be racist (depending on who you ask) doesn’t do much for me. So im not a huge fan or changing it, but, whatever. 

but this idea of two anthems and ones for white people and ones for black people

😂

sorry. But sometimes things are just ridiculous and don’t even make sense. 

Im sure having two anthems for people depending on the color of their skin will do lots to help unite people and get us through the problems going on 😂 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I like America The Beautiful much more too. 

My take, FWIW, is that whatever our national anthem is should be the song everyone recognizes and respects. I'm not going to die on a hill for this next part, but my preference would be that if you're going to go through the trouble of doing something patriotic before games, it should also probably be the only song you play...why play 2-3? 

• Like 1