Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN: Passenger Dragged off of Overbooked United Airlines Plane

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...so, united asked for VOLUNTEERS, and when nobody agreed to voluntarily leave the plane, united forced somebody to leave? 

I guess volunteer means something completely different these days...

Its pretty standard for all flights and generally isn't a problem. 3 people agreed to leave in this instance without incident. 

I've never heard of it getting to the point where someone who has already been boarded had to be removed though.  I've seen people who are already on the plane volunteer to give up their seat before but it was so a family could fly together. 

But, just a matter of time before it got to the worst case scenario, where no one volunteers, and the airline needs those seats at all costs. The extra seats were needed for United employee's btw, not for overbooked passengers. That actually makes it sound even worse, but I assume if those extra employee's don't get somewhere, then another plane might not take off delaying a lot of people. 

*and ****, another school shooting. Elementary school? Jesus... 

26 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...so, united asked for VOLUNTEERS, and when nobody agreed to voluntarily leave the plane, united forced somebody to leave? 

I guess volunteer means something completely different these days...

That was before they invoked the inscription clause.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I cant imagine putting up that much of a fight to keep my seat.  Did he think he was going to be able to argue his way into keeping it?  

Usually best to do the arguing and fighting with management rather than security in my experience. :)

He did get to keep his seat AFTER he was removed,

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

Look for United sales in the next couple of weeks.

Was it Airport police that roughed him up or United employees?

Airport police. 

The broken guitar song cost United biiiiiiiig bucks a few years ago from the bad PR. This incident is going to cost them big time. 

4 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

Holy cow.  That's insane.  I cant believe people werent lining up and fighting over that offer.

It's nuts, when I fly I hope this happens so I can get free upgrades.

Concerning the guy who got dragged out, if a law enforcement officer tells you to move then move your ass, don't just sit there so the situation escalates.

53 minutes ago, Mooka said:

but I assume if those extra employee's don't get somewhere, then another plane might not take off delaying a lot of people. 

Yeah. It's all business—so, again, keep upping the offer. At this point $2000 plus hotel voucher might have swayed someone and that would be a bargain for United in light of this. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Guarantee he was thinking about the law suite. I know I would have been. 

"Yes please drag me away to my millions" 

Nah, I don't think he cared about money at that time. And the videos showing him getting back on and freaking out in the back of the plane lead me to believe he may have suffered a concussion from being knocked out. 

2 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Nah, I don't think he cared about money at that time. And the videos showing him getting back on and freaking out in the back of the plane lead me to believe he may have suffered a concussion from being knocked out. 

Eh, probably self medicates.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Guarantee he was thinking about the law suite. I know I would have been. 

"Yes please drag me away to my millions" 

I think you would have a better shot at a lawsuit if you were illegally removed, not when 3 officers approach you, ask you to move and then your noncompliant.

Where is this guys dignity, I would never let police officers drag me out of my seat while everyone takes video and uploads it to the internet? Then that scream, that's an entirely new type of embarrassing.

21 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think you would have a better shot at a lawsuit if you were illegally removed, not when 3 officers approach you, ask you to move and then your noncompliant.

Where is this guys dignity, I would never let police officers drag me out of my seat while everyone takes video and uploads it to the internet? Then that scream, that's an entirely new type of embarrassing.

The guy justified it by being a doctor that needed to make his next day appointments.  

About 10 people need to lose their jobs (airport officers, flight crew (including pilots), and the supervisor of this entire situation) and congress needs to pass a bill or Dept of transportation needs to issue a rule saying no overbooking of seats. Clearly, none of these people showed any kind of leadership so see ya.

PS- scrolling down on that link to the next news stories was kinda depressing. 

They should just keep raising the amount of compensation, Deal or No Deal style, until enough people take it.  Much cheaper than the inevitable lawsuits.

Also, if this guy had a legit reason that he could not be bumped, like say he had to perform a surgery the next morning, I say the airline should have picked someone else. 

18 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

They should just keep raising the amount of compensation, Deal or No Deal style, until enough people take it.  Much cheaper than the inevitable lawsuits.

Also, if this guy had a legit reason that he could not be bumped, like say he had to perform a surgery the next morning, I say the airline should have picked someone else. 

I got a better idea. Why not put the two United workers on another flight instead of inconveniencing the **** out of your paying customers.

Archived