Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

visionary

Many of us are pretty darned happy about this, ” said a second former administration official. “This is the action that many of us were hoping for years ago.

Our hope though is that this was not an act in isolation, but a clear signal of the limits of our tolerance, and the restart of meaningful, actionable diplomacy to end Assad’s tenure in Syria and bring about a peaceful political transition.”

I'm a bit unsure of my opinion of this whole thing (the bombing).

I feel like there needed to be some sort of reaction to the use of chemical weapons.  I feel like a verbal and diplomatic condemnation of this act wouldn't have been strong enough.  I don't know if the bombing accomplished much, but probably sent a stronger message than just getting on TV and telling Assad that he's done a bad thing.  I would have liked, or would still like, to have approval from the international community on this operation and I don't think I've read much that the rest of the world hates us for it so I suppose that's OK.  I don't care about approval from congress, or any of that crap.

So, while I'm no fan of Trump, I don't really think he did a bad thing here.  Probably the best we could've hoped for I guess.

But again, I don't really know.  This whole thing sucks.  I feel for those people.

I'm going to be extremely cynical and say this was does cause of the terrible jobs report. 

Okay, I don't really believe that but I do feel like part of the reasoning for this was to change the conversation at least temporarily. The Russia investigation has been a disaster for the administration and health care was a train wreck. They also managed to step all over their SC nominee getting confirmed with the Susan Rice accusations. I hate this administration for making me this cynical because I support the military action from last night.  

An observation where I probably side with Trump, but once again shows dramatic inconsistencies. I remember not too long ago Congress, FOX News and Conservatives of every stripe grumbled, groused, and griped about a President acting unilaterally in terms of any military intervention or action without Congressional approval or advisement. Now, Congress, think tankers, etc. are falling all over themselves in praise of Trump for acting swiftly, unilaterally, and leaving Congress and even the State Department in the dark.

I do think a President needs this kind of freedom especially when it comes to emergencies (It is questionable whether this Syria strike counts as an emergency), but once again, we witness a degree of shameless cognitive inconsistency. It shows once again how much is about rhetoric and how much is about policy.

As a pacifist I find all of this stupid. A largely ceremonial missle strike that did nothing to stop further gas attacks. Wasted $50+ million dollars on a PR ploy with no long term strategy for the region.

The whole bloody thing is a waste.

But the alt-Righters are mad a Trump so that's fun.

"People are worried that [the attack is] just to make some media noise," he said, "that this was a one-time U.S. strike on the Shayrat airport, that they won't strike again, and the reckoning has ended."

Another resident of the area is Muznah al-Jundi. She runs a woman's center in the rebel-held northwest, which recently cancelled its programming due to an uptick in airstrikes that received little international attention.

Reached by phone, she said people are unsure what to make of the U.S. missile strikes.

"Honestly," she said, "our feelings today are mixed between happiness and sadness."

Jundi felt relieved that the Shayrat airport, from where Syrian planes took off to attack Khan Shaykhun, has been damaged. But she's also upset over yet more destruction.

"As Syrians," she said, "we never wanted the situation to get to this point. We didn't want it to get to this level where Syria is being completely destroyed. But unfortunately, this is the point we've reached."

She says that for this to be helpful, it needs to be part of a full U.S. strategy toward Syria, not just a one-time event.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

As a pacifist I find all of this stupid. A largely ceremonial missle strike that did nothing to stop further gas attacks. Wasted $50+ million dollars on a PR ploy with no long term strategy for the region.

The whole bloody thing is a waste.

I guess that would depend on which and how many Syrian planes, radar, and air traffic control facilities the cruise missiles destroyed or disabled.

10 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Good grief.

CNN just showed some footage of the last two chemical attacks.

Had to change the channel.

Like the report said earlier, that's why people get outraged with chemical attacks, you get to see the suffering whereas the bombing images aren't allowed on tv.

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

An observation where I probably side with Trump, but once again shows dramatic inconsistencies. I remember not too long ago Congress, FOX News and Conservatives of every stripe grumbled, groused, and griped about a President acting unilaterally in terms of any military intervention or action without Congressional approval or advisement. Now, Congress, think tankers, etc. are falling all over themselves in praise of Trump for acting swiftly, unilaterally, and leaving Congress and even the State Department in the dark.

Yep. Only people he told was Russia and Syria. 

Archived