Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

visionary

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There's no chance Trump has even given any attention to it. That is complicated and requires time, thought, and subtle understanding of the situation and potential consequences of any action taken. All of that is anathema to him. He doesn't give two ****s beyond it making him look good.

The only thing we can hope is that his advisors will be able to steer him away from his impulses and stupidity. Otherwise this guy could lead us into a global conflict that he has no idea how to get out of.

I think this is a little unfair. First, I would imagine both State, Defense and other agencies have probably consider this question. Also, Trump wouldn't be alone in President's getting us into conflicts they don't know how to get out of. 

13 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Say that we continue to bomb them and Assad does step down. Then what? Who takes over? The US? Russia? If you drive him out and then leave, that place will stay a war zone between factions. 

Right know I think it's a quagmire. The Arab neighbors must do something tha't's the only way, a western coalition take over would be a terrible mistake. Unfortunately these nations are weak such as Jordan or Lebanon, Egypt is pro Assad, Saudi Arabia doesn't seem to care, Iran I doubt it they don't want to lose their Allawite ally Assad vs the Sunis.

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only thing we can hope is that his advisors will be able to steer him away from his impulses and stupidity. Otherwise this guy could lead us into a global conflict that he has no idea how to get out of.

Only a few months in and have heard this more times than I care for. Nothing about this guy suggests he takes advice from people who are clearly smarter or more experienced. 

I think we should ramp up sanctions on Russia to pressure them to make Assad step down. Russia has military bases in Syria, we aren't going to war with them to get rid of Assad, but at some point he could become a liability to them. The quandary with Syria and NK is their sponsors.

If Assad were to step down or die (as everyone does) there are more than a few options as to what happens next or who takes over.  

The best option might be some kind of transition deal between the government and the opposition, but it's unclear that any high ranking regime members would accept one (especially if he is just replaced by his brother, who may be worse than him).

Also the opposition officials, the fighters, and a majority of Syrians will be very reluctant to work with some regime officials they may see as responsible for the killing of their families and friends and comitting any number of atrocities.  But opposition officials have talked often of working with the government towards a transition and quite a few have  worked with it before, so it's definitely not unimaginable that something could be worked out if the initial roadblocks are removed.

And of course ISIS may still be around, as well as AQ/Nusra/HTS and they will have to be dealt with one way or another.

Of course if something bigger were to happen to somehow shatter the government completely (this seems unlikely though, considering how it's set up) things could get a lot messier.

But on the other hand many parts of Syria have already dealt with being out of the government's control at one point or another and a lot of local governance has been formed to take it's place.

So if the government completely collapsed somehow there would not necessarily be the sort of wholesale chaos some might imagine.  People in Syria have learned to live with little food and water, except in some government controlled areas, but they have their own governors, local and regional councils, and such as well.

other options might include coups, control by Russia, Iran, some sort of breakup of the country, some sort of power-sharing agreement by the government, opposition, and or neighboring countries.

2 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

I think we should ramp up sanctions on Russia to pressure them to make Assad step down. Russia has military bases in Syria, we aren't going to war with them to get rid of Assad, but at some point he could become a liability to them. The quandary with Syria and NK is their sponsors.

This probably won't work because Russia is not reliant on our economy. We can say we won't do business with Russian companies and make it illegal for our companies to do  in Russia, but that probably hurts us more than them.

All we would get is sanctions in return. Also, china is more friendly with Russia than us, so I could see them getting into the sanction mix, though that is less likely because the are more reliant on our economy than Russia's.

Sanctions don't seem to work. The aren't working in North Korea or Iran. And Russia as a lot more buying power than either of those countries.

Sanctions don't work because the people in charge don't really care about how bad the population gets nailed.

Sanctons against Russia? better figure a way to make Putin and his oligarch buddies feel the pinch, because if they don't, it doesn't matter. All u give them is power.

You know why you starve? US sanctions! Down with the US! (Who do you think the starving people will blame?)

same for Assad, iran, North Korea.. hell, they're a prime example. People are starving, malnourished, essentially slaves who know two things, to love the leader and to hate the US, source of all their problems. The regime doesn't care. Fat boy Kim is fat and happy.

Sanctions are a civilized way to try to do something without doing the one thing that people like this respond to, which is force. Sanctions never hurt anyone it needs to. but it makes civilized people feel better, i guess. 

the more i look at this, the more it's clear it's all for show. Probably to focus congress away from looking deeper into Trump's own dirt.

we hit nothing, we warned the enemy's best friend, and Trump DECLINED the decapitation option the pentagon presented him.
That would have had an effect, better believe it. Assad feels totally safe.
(Reagan destroyed Qaddafi's house and killed one of his daughters as i recall. Didn't kill Muammar, but his stupid ass settled right the hell on down, too.)

and frankly, as much as war is awful, if you're going to make a move, you don't ****foot around. Make it count, or shut up and sit down.

This did nothing but tell Assad we won't do anything.

He wins.

Donny lost. Badly.

~Bang

7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

There's my real fear, that Trump will see military success as "his thing".

:rofl89:Trust me, a floor buffer would literally kick his ass.  Anybody who's been through boot camp knows what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Attention to detail is not his forte.

33 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Anybody else miffed that the airbase we struck was operational within 12 hours?

I mean, holy cow, hit a freaking runway and you've at least set them back a couple days.

Even Trump is miffed at that. Never seen a President try to defend a military strike on Twitter! I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted more action in Syria cause of this. His act of strength was very impotent. Instead of a quick jab, it's more like flicking someone with your finger.

I will confess that part of me wishes that our response to the use of WMDs on civilians had been the announcement, 24 hours later, that the Syrian Air Force now consists of zero aircraft.  

However, part of me is also saying that I don't want us to be provoking Trump into escalating things, either.  Too much chance of escalating things way too much.  

I feel the same way about NK.  I wish we could act like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a video game commercial.  But rationally, I don;t think we should.  

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Anybody else miffed that the airbase we struck was operational within 12 hours?

I mean, holy cow, hit a freaking runway and you've at least set them back a couple days.

All they needed was flat land in order to operate out of it, so not surprising or miffed. The attack was symbolic, Don't use chemical weapons.

We should have never got involved with Syria, but we have and now we are stuck in impossible to win spot.. Assad leaving isn't great. Every time we try to prop up some west-friendly government it ends badly for us.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Has Assad been gassing civilians before?  

This is a rhetorical question, right?  (Asking, cause I'm not sure)  If not, then yes, he has.  Obviously the more well known Sarin attacks in 2013 and a lot more times with Chlorine (which is less lethal) since then.  

Re sanctions, it seems like military action is limited to toothless displays in NK and Syria due to the strength of their sponsor nations, particularly in Syria where we have to warn the Russians ahead of an attack. I feel bad for the few poor ****s left behind at that airbase as they probably watched the best planes, officers and Russians leave. Sanctions on Iran seemed to at least bring about some progress, and Russians was pissed off enough to work to get a friendly person in our presidency.

Archived