Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

visionary

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/middleeast/idlib-syria-attack/index.html

Syria chemical attack victims gassed as they slept

Russian claims that a regime airstrike on a "terrorist" ammunition depot caused the deaths of at least 70 people in northern Syria have been rejected, as victims described the aftermath of chemical bombs dropped from planes.

International condemnation mounted on Wednesday over what appeared to be a targeted chemical attack on a rebel-held town in Idlib province, one of the deadliest since the Syrian war began six years ago.

The White House and the UK blamed the regime of President Bashar al-Assad for the outrage, which caused the deaths of at least 10 children, some asleep in their beds when the attack struck at dawn. At the United Nations, western powers lambasted Russia for standing by the Assad regime.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

They are coming from Russia, right?  Serious question.

Syria had massive stockpiles and facilities to make more.

But so does Russia

39 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm really worried Trump is going to try and play tough guy here. 

There's no win here, but we just look horrible as a civilization allowing this to continue.  I'm watching how he deals with this, because his administration doesn't sound as friendly towards Russia as the campaign did, and it may be a total collision course with Russia if we do start striking Syrian government targets like suspected stockpiles of chemical weapons.  Part of me wants to believe Russia will throw up their hands and back the hell off if we started escalating our efforts against Assad's forces, but there's no promise of that.

This was clearly a sort of trial balloon to test the resolve of Vladimir's Pumpkin. The idea that it's in the US's interest to allow Assad and the Russians to fight ISIL ignores the simple fact that they have never targeted ISIL or Al Nusra.

Assad's moves at the beginning of the uprising were to attack, torture and kill all moderate factions, and then he released dozens of members of Al Quaeda from his jails to spawn the growth of militant groups that would be unacceptable to the West, thus allowing himself to be portrayed as a bulwark against jihadists.

Russian jets and Syrian attacks only involve ISIL if it encroaches too closely to regime strongholds. Places like Aleppo had virtually no IS or Al Nusra presence, but have been bombed into oblivion.

While all of this a too complicated for Cheetoman, one can only hope that more capable minds like McMaster and Haley can extract the orangutan in chief's head out of Vlad's ass just long enough to convince him of an appropriate course of action.

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Yes he was.  So are his defenders. 

Trump should draw draw a line in the sand

He's got a plan to draw something in the sand. It'll be great. The best ever. Believe me.

Your douche trolling aside, I'm not sure if there's really a good option here. You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Something has to happen. The politics of this whole thing are nightmarish.

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Yes he was.  So are his defenders. 

Trump should draw draw a line in the sand

There isn't a soul on this board that was super complimentary of Obama's handling of Syria and the fact that you take the opportunity during a chemical attack to make smart*** remarks speaks volumes. You should put your shovel down and climb out of this hole while you still can. 

28 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Nah.  Obama handled it perfectly.  

And what would you have done differently? Not trolling, certainly not defending Obama, but in case you're unaware...other than Lebanon, Syria is the most religiously fractured state in the Middle East. It's not just Sunni Shiites and Kurds, but also Druze, Alawites, and Christians (who are also divided between Catholic and Orthodox). Even the Shiites are split up between Ismaili and Twelvers.

It is also the homeland of 13th century theologian Ibn Tawmiyya, whose writings form the theo-ideological basis for Al Quaeda et al.

Had we taken out Assad, no doubt you would be in threads here ranting about how Obama abetted what would have been the inevitable genocide of Christians.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There's no win here, but we just look horrible as a civilization allowing this to continue.  I'm watching how he deals with this, because his administration doesn't sound as friendly towards Russia as the campaign did, and it may be a total collision course with Russia if we do start striking Syrian government targets like suspected stockpiles of chemical weapons.  Part of me wants to believe Russia will throw up their hands and back the hell off if we started escalating our efforts against Assad's forces, but there's no promise of that.

Its going to take some serious foresight and critical thinking to respond to this. I dont think the Trump admin is ready for a task asking for either. 

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

There isn't a soul on this board that was super complimentary of Obama's handling of Syria and the fact that you take the opportunity during a chemical attack to make smart*** remarks speaks volumes. You should put your shovel down and climb out of this hole while you still can. 

Stop trying dude. Juice not worth the squeeze. Learned that first day in the tailgate 

Archived