Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

• 2 months later...

Recently USA Today ranked Coach Gruden as the 12th best NFL Coach among 32 teams.   Of course the newer head coaches were ranked at the bottom of the list.   I was surprised in a positive way that he was not ranked a lot lower than 12.  This season will be a true test for him to see how he handles adversity with this team especially if Kirk has troubles in the first few games.

I think it's funny people think Jon Gruden is a good talent evaluator, just shows a name is all you need.

I've lived in Tampa since 2004 and people hated Gruden down here, he was basically forced out because of his poor personal decisions.  He won with Dungy's picks then the team started to deteriorate once he made the decisions on personal.  It's probably the only time I watched an entire city flip on a Super Bowl winning coach.

"Gruden was a rising star when he was hired seven years ago to take over a team built by Tony Dungy, and led it to the Super Bowl win. But Gruden guided the Bucs to the postseason only two more times after becoming the youngest coach to win the NFL title in January 2003.

That wasn't nearly enough for the sons of owner Malcolm Glazer, who took their time before deciding they had seen enough of aging quarterbacks, mediocre drafts and a coach and general manager who often pinned the blame for poor finishes on injuries."

32 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Recently USA Today ranked Coach Gruden as the 12th best NFL Coach among 32 teams.   Of course the newer head coaches were ranked at the bottom of the list.   I was surprised in a positive way that he was not ranked a lot lower than 12.  This season will be a true test for him to see how he handles adversity with this team especially if Kirk has troubles in the first few games.

Ya know what?  I admit it: Gruden's grown on me.  I suppose I could see him as the 12th best Coach in The League.

Startin' out, the way he picked Kirk over RGIII had the majority of the town against him (including me).  But it was in hindsight of that moment that he earned my respect - he knew damn well that if Kirk didn't pan out he was gone.  That he was willing to stick to his guns (in spite of the consequences) and do what he knew was best impressed me tremendously.  That's a rare quality in anyone; the ability to make an unpopular decision even though you know it's the right one.  And he Won doing it.

Further, he (needs to beat The Hated Rival more regularly, but) does beat Divisional Opponents.  Home and Away.  Finally, the days of the other NFC East teams laughing at us are over.  We were within a Drive-Killing Pick of back-to-back Playoff Appearances.  And that happened with all of the warts that last year's team had while playing a 1st Place Schedule!  He gets props for putting us in that position.

Does he know it all?  Hell no.  And I even admire how he owns that too.  If the guy ****s up...he admits it!  Now you show me 5 other established Head Coaches that do that, because off the top of my head I can't.  What's more, he's willing to improve.  And most importantly, I feel like his teams play hard as hell for him & don't quit.

Yeah.  I'm down with fat boy Gruden (but it looks like I won't be able to call him that anymore.  Quick!  Somebody buy him a box of Krispy Kremes!).

Truth is, we could do a lot worse.  And we have.

15 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I think it's funny people think Jon Gruden is a good talent evaluator, just shows a name is all you need.

Yeah, Bruce Allen is the icon for this.

As for Gruden, it's hard to say just how much he's learned about evaluation since he left the game, but I'd venture a guess it's a lot.  That's pretty much all the guy does is eat, sleep, evaluate football and come up with corny slogans and nicknames.  Sadly, I'd absolutely roll the dice on him if it meant Bruce and Doug were removed from their roles in talent evaluation/contracts/etc.  I'd be fine with them sticking around in capacities that have nothing to do with the guys that play every Sunday.

15 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I've lived in Tampa since 2004 and people hated Gruden down here, he was basically forced out because of his poor personal decisions.  He won with Dungy's picks then the team started to deteriorate once he made the decisions on personal.  It's probably the only time I watched an entire city flip on a Super Bowl winning coach.

So because his brother was poor at it we are to assume our coach is too?   I don't pretend to know but from what they are saying he is very involved and pretty good at it, I'm going with that. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So because his brother was poor at it we are to assume our coach is too?   I don't pretend to know but from what they are saying he is very involved and pretty good at it, I'm going with that. 

This was a response to Jon Gruden becoming our GM, not sure what that has to do with Jay.

Chris Russell @Russellmania621

The #Redskins hired Harrison Ritcher, the son of former #Bills OL Jim Ritcher, who I covered a long, long time ago. He's BLESTO scout.

The Washington Redskins announced today that they have finalized additions and new assignments for the team’s personnel department for the 2017 season. The new additions and new assignments are as follows:

Brent Caprio*             Scouting Assistant

Chuck Cook*              College Scout (Midwest)

Harrison Ritcher*       BLESTO Scout

Paul Skansi*               College Scout (West Coast)

Cole Spencer               College Scout (Southeast)

Roger Terry                College Scout (Midlands)

* Indicates new hire

21 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Startin' out, the way he picked Kirk over RGIII had the majority of the town against him (including me).  But it was in hindsight of that moment that he earned my respect - he knew damn well that if Kirk didn't pan out he was gone.

Funny, my take was that it was an easy decision, because he knew that if he kept RG3 he would be fired after the season.

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

Remember when Mayock was going to be our GM?  I'd take Gruden over him in a heartbeat.  Mayock is captain retrospect on every broadcast he's ever been on, and is in love with every pick during draft time

I don't know about all that, though I thought the idea of him as GM was a joke.

But you bring up an interesting point. It does seem like all these draft guys on broadcasts these days only ever "like" picks to one level or another. There seems very little criticism of draft picks generally anymore. I wonder if it's because the likes of Mayock, Kiper and McShay are comfortable enough they don't need to try to stand out, and would rather stay in the good graces of FOs so they can keep sources happy.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:13 PM, jschuck12001 said:

"Gruden was a rising star when he was hired seven years ago to take over a team built by Tony Dungy, and led it to the Super Bowl win. But Gruden guided the Bucs to the postseason only two more times after becoming the youngest coach to win the NFL title in January 2003.

That wasn't nearly enough for the sons of owner Malcolm Glazer, who took their time before deciding they had seen enough of aging quarterbacks, mediocre drafts and a coach and general manager who often pinned the blame for poor finishes on injuries."

It's been more than a decade and in that time Jon Gruden has continued watching and covering players, drafts, and games, and holds a QB camps every year as well. I never did get why people tend to assume if a coach wasn't amazing in the past it means they can't improve at all. 

Second, the "it was Dungy's team" line is bunk. Dungy couldn't get it done with that team, Gruden did. Give credit where it's due. Any head coach who wins a Superbowl deserves that credit. 

The follow up season the Bucs were destroyed by injuries. They had a 3rd stringer as their starting WR at one point. The injuries were so bad that no team could have recovered. The following season the team's GM McKay was gone but he left the team in cap hell. But the team rebounded and was good in 2005, but lost to us in the playoffs. Still, they did that despite losing their starting QB and being saddled with Chris Simms. 2006 they got destroyed by injuries again. 2007 they won the division. Next season team went 9-7 and just missed playoffs, so everyone was axed. It was, IMO, a stupid decision by the Buccs, even with the snake Bruce Allen being fired, because they had actually built a good roster. 

Jon Gruden wasn't some lousy coach who got lucky once with an inherited roster, as your post seems to imply.  

No, the fans and players lost patience with him because of his loud tough guy attitude and they felt he was lousy at identifying talent to bring to the team which is why the media and fans turned on him, my post was in response to him being a GM.

Your post is your opinion, my post is about what went down the last 3 years he was a coach in Tampa, it's not a secret and was well documented through the media and local radio.

The reason I brought up Dungy was that the team that won the Superbowl was put together under Tony, they had 4 future Hall of Famers and we're ready to win for a few years before Gruden got there.  Gruden didn't build that team and he sure as hell didn't build the team in Oakland because we know Al Davis made all of those personnel decisions.

I think Gruden is a good coach but I don't think he would be a good GM.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, jschuck12001 said:

that Tampa No, the fans and players lost patience with him because of his loud tough guy attitude and they felt he was lousy at identifying talent to bring to the team which is why the media and fans turned on him, my post was in response to him being a GM.

Your post is your opinion, my post is about what went down the last 3 years he was a coach in Tampa, it's not a secret and was well documented through the media and local radio.

The reason I brought up Dungy was that the team that won the Superbowl was put together under Tony, they had 4 future Hall of Famers and we're ready to win for a few years before Gruden got there.  Gruden didn't build that team and he sure as hell didn't build the team in Oakland because we know Al Davis made all of those personnel decisions.

And what is the one common denominator with all these teams?

They ALL had Bruce Allen.

Don't let that just skirt by without some puzzle piece assembly.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, jschuck12001 said:

No, the fans and players lost patience with him because of his loud tough guy attitude and they felt he was lousy at identifying talent to bring to the team which is why the media and fans turned on him, my post was in response to him being a GM.

I don't know if he'd be a good GM either, but he can spot talent, knows how to take a team to the big game and win, and has been part of building a good roster and did it with Allen who IMO is average at it.

That 2008 team's roster, the one that went 9-7 the year after winning a division and everyione got axed:

Jeff Garcia at QB, Cadillac Williams at RB though this was when injuries were setting in but still when healthy he was good, WR they had Joey Galloway, Antonio Bryant who posted 1248 yards and 7 TDs, the OL had Faine, Davin Joseph, Donald Penn, Zuttah. Defense had Chris Hovan, Kevin Carter was on the dowswing but talented vet, OLBs you had Derrick Brooks, Barrett Rudd, Cato June, CBs had Phillip Buchanon, Ronde Barber and Aqib Talib, safteies they had Will Allen, and Matt Bryant was kicker, Josh Bidwell punter.

Back then their roster was good, hence why they won the division the year prior. But since Tampa lost the last 4 and missed the playoffs by 1 game, the owner ran out of patience. I again contend that they had a roster that Gruden could have gotten back to the playoffs and that, aside from 2 seasons where injuries were so bad that nobody could reasonably expect a winning seasons, most of Gruden's seasons were winning ones (including a Superbowl) and he had a talented roster when he was wrongly axed. 

I get fans running out of pateince because Gruden set the bar high by winning the Superbowl in his first season with the team, but it was a dumb move by the owner to fire him. I'm not sure if Gruden would work as a GM, but his NFL experience is mostly good, better than you're crediting it, and given that he has a history with Allen as well as his brother being the head coach, there's a compelling argument to made in favor of the move.  

Scot McCloughan's Twitter reply [@McCloughanScot 10:52pm August 8th] to a fan questioning "would you come back", was "Yes if the situation was right".

Anyone got a better situation he is probably thinking of, other than Bruce Allen no longer being here?  I couldn't think of anything else.

2 hours ago, TysonM said:

Scot McCloughan's Twitter reply [@McCloughanScot 10:52pm August 8th] to a fan questioning "would you come back", was "Yes if the situation was right".

Anyone got a better situation he is probably thinking of, other than Bruce Allen no longer being here?  I couldn't think of anything else.

No mention of Bruce. 

With the tweet from Scot, let's get this out there: Raise your hand if you would trade Scot M for Bruce Allen? Think about it before answering. Not sure it's as cut and dry and many will think it is.

Maybe someone who likes to start polls (looking at you @Califan007) could start a poll to see. Results may be a bit surprising. For me, the is specifically Bruce for Scot, not Bruce for anyone. Stirs the pot and leaves:

giphy.gif

Scott said he is proud of the matt jones pick and believes he is still potentially a good player.  

I dunno, I think you got that one wrong, Scott.  One blemish though isn't something to be ashamed of!  Nice to see him interacting with fans too

Archived