Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

13 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

What, you say?  Campbell said they already have changed the board a lot, so they arent using Scotts picks?  Well that flies in the face of why they said they fired him.  If it was just his drinking like Bruce claims, then why wouldnt you use his picks?  If you didnt like his picks and fired him for that, and changed the whole board around, you get caught out for lying.

Okay, I'll try here. :) 

Bruce and the team have NEVER said what exactly he was fired for.  They have only said he was fired with cause.  The drinking is just speculation on behalf of the media and fans.  Though I'm sure that was part of the reason, Bruce never said that, and they have never said what other factors played a part in his dismissal.  So, it could be that he wasn't fulfilling his duties properly and there was reason for them to change their board from his picks.

Also, it is not uncommon for teams to redo their boards all the way up and through the draft.

I know I'm going to be nervous and suspicious watching teams maneuver around us (if they do), especially Seattle. Schneider is a close friend to Scot and he's the only guy who's openly stated he spoke with him after his firing. 

He wouldn't betray Scot (by letting anyone know Scot violated any NDA or whatever) so it'd be extremely easy for Scot to tell him everything and anything that could help them judge if/when they need to jump ahead of us or take a guy we're targeting before our next pick knowing he won't still be there. Maybe it won't be that big of a help since most teams have a feel for each other as it is, but any more info you can get is just that much better.

Sucks this even has to be in the back of our minds.   

Amazing that our GM can go completely dark right as free agency is starting, won't answer calls from any teams at all, and fans absolve him of blame and say the team is stupid for firing him then. The guy was not doing his job at the start of one of the biggest, most important times for a GM. 

And by the way, if any team takes any kind of action at all that makes people suspect Scot leaked Redskins draft board info to that team, his career in the NFL is over. Nobody will hire a guy with a drinking history who leaks info to other teams out of spite. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

For me, it's the fact that Scot will spill his guts to strangers at gas stations lol...:bill:

Or maybe he is just ****ing real? A lot of people sure did respect him, players and fans. If I was Danny? I would have slapped Bruce down and Scott would still be here.

26 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

Or maybe he is just ****ing real? A lot of people sure did respect him, players and fans. If I was Danny? I would have slapped Bruce down and Scott would still be here.

I'm "****ing real" and would never in a billion years just start talking to some guy at a gas station if I were in his shoes.

18 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm "****ing real" and would never in a billion years just start talking to some guy at a gas station if I were in his shoes.

Ok. I understand. I believe he is passionate and loves what he does and is very good at it. I have seen some down times in my life and can understand the informal situation that supposedly happened. 

Ever lost big money? I probably talked with the Indian guy behind the Shell station counter about my woes at one point.... I also probably expressed happiness on a great day.

I think the players and fans loved him because he was a people's man

I love the sweeping generalization that those of us that are skeptical of Bruce and what went down that led to Scotts firing it means we believe he's gods gift to football and could do no wrong.  And by love I mean hate.  Stop it already.  Thats about as weak as the positive spins you guys put on most things related to the team.  At a minimum you have to atleast acknowledge that Scott never had the power Bruce told us he had.  It's easy to see why that could cause friction.  But at the end of the day, I really hope Bruce isn't just a walking suit living off his fathers accomplishments.  I hope he's not really a douche and Scott was a terd and deserved to be canned.  Getting Kirk a deal and hiring a real GM will extend him a lot of rope.  If both of those things happen I'll be more inclined to believe that he's smarter than he appears. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

QB's are like fine ass  women. They make you do stupid things

The funny thing is that it happens every year with the same results.

I look at QB like this: unless you're getting a slam dunk guy, there is no point drafting one in the 1st round. Build up the rest of your team first until someone you love who's legit good is available.

I mean Mitch Trebisky? Really? The guy doesn't even know what a hard count is.

Pat Mahomes? Another big 12 bust? He's Colt Brennan at best. Terrible footwork, reckless, small. He'll be out of the league in five years.

And Deshawn Watson LOL. People are in love with the "clutch" national title game but I see a scrambling inaccurate QB who will get smoked by legit defenses. He threw multiple picks against every good college D he faced.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

After watching some of these teams draft its obvious that while Allen may not be a savant, he is certainly nowhere near as dumb as some of his colleagues. Holy crap...

This is the same Bruce Allen who was part of the RG3 trade and the not signing Kirk for 19.5M/year fiasco.  He will have to make a lot of good moves to get back to par.

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

This is the same Bruce Allen who was part of the RG3 trade and the not signing Kirk for 19.5M/year fiasco.  He will have to make a lot of good moves to get back to par.

There were arguments in both cases to justify those positions.

But some of the moves that happened are really questionable... If I'm a Bears' fan I would really wonder what the **** they are doing right now. Or even the Texans and Chiefs...

So yeah, he got some work before being seen as legit. But he's starting to show it. Let's see how it ends with both Kirk and the GM job. But you just cannot question how we operated on day 1 of the draft.

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

No but you also can't exactly praise Bruce because he pulled the trigger when a top 5 no brainer fell into his lap at 17. 

At least he didn't get the jitters and trade up to make sure we landed him...that's what the Bears and Texans did with their picks, neither of which I think were good moves.

34 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

No but you also can't exactly praise Bruce because he pulled the trigger when a top 5 no brainer fell into his lap at 17. 

Sure you can. Look how many GMs bypassed a top 5 no-brainer :)

Still want to see how the rest of the draft pans out, but even if he strikes gold only once at least for that once I will be happy.

The start of Brewer's WP article is pretty good lol...

"For a team without a general manager — a team that fired its well-respected personnel guru at the worst time and in the worst way — the Washington Redskins sure have had a stable offseason. The heavy lifting is over now, at least in terms of acquiring new talent, and the supposed Most Dysfunctional Franchise Ever just followed a solid and logical free agency period with a solid and logical NFL draft.

Someone should probably turn off the alarm that has been blaring for the past two months.

Consider me crazy, naive or allergic to extreme pessimism, but I’m not so certain anymore that the March firing of Scot McCloughan is an automatic trigger for Washington to revert immediately to misery. "

(link is in the Bubba's Breaking News forum)

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The start of Brewer's WP article is pretty good lol...

"For a team without a general manager — a team that fired its well-respected personnel guru at the worst time and in the worst way — the Washington Redskins sure have had a stable offseason. The heavy lifting is over now, at least in terms of acquiring new talent, and the supposed Most Dysfunctional Franchise Ever just followed a solid and logical free agency period with a solid and logical NFL draft.

Someone should probably turn off the alarm that has been blaring for the past two months.

Consider me crazy, naive or allergic to extreme pessimism, but I’m not so certain anymore that the March firing of Scot McCloughan is an automatic trigger for Washington to revert immediately to misery. "

(link is in the Bubba's Breaking News forum)

I consider him not a moron.

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I can't believe Brewer wrote that article. Isn't he the most pro-Scot guy in the local media? 

He's mainly been fair, which is why it was pretty depressing to see some of the things he was writing during the entire affair between Scot and the FO. 

He still isn't necessarily letting off on Bruce in this article regarding the handling of firing Scot, though, but he's doing it fairly. Which is a welcome sight considering he is/was one of the few at the Post I really enjoyed reading. 

He holds nuanced positions and can detail them extremely well. So while he starts it with what Califan quoted he also says: 

It doesn’t mean that Washington will survive the McCloughan debacle without suffering. When a team gets rid of one of the best talent evaluators in the league, there figures to be a negative effect. But you are left to wonder how negative it will be and when exactly the slippage might occur.

And: 

Certainly, Washington didn’t follow McCloughan’s advice on every pick. Draft boards change over the final few months, but it’s clear the team didn’t exercise in any reckless pettiness by tearing up McCloughan’s work and trying to make a point that it was time to do something new.

And: 

Yes, this franchise is fully capable of nudging its self-destruction switch again. But despite the outcry after McCloughan was fired, despite the ruthless way the franchise justified the decision by alleging his alcohol issues left it no choice, hope still wiggled into an offseason that began with controversy.

Then again, Kirk Cousins still doesn’t have a long-term contract.

I also found this particularly off-putting personally, and maybe even contradictory considering he emphasized Scot's abilities and how much of this was his plan: 

Washington has a chance to keep building now. It means that Washington should fill its general manager job by hiring from within and rewarding one of those lieutenants.

So, like myself, he still believes that position should be filled. However, and like I mentioned before to you in our discussion recently... I'm not sure I can get behind the idea that we no longer need to bring in a top notch talent evaluator at GM from the outside. As much as I've liked this offseason so far in terms of personnel-acquisition and acknowledge the increased roles of everyone involved since Scot got fired, it's too closely associated with Scot's work to really believe that anyone within the building deserves a promotion for it. 

I really hope they do their due diligence on this and make a great hire at that position. It's clear to me for many reasons that it's a vital position, but from Campbell's words alone on this he benefited greatly from having someone with that title delegating and allowing him to do more traveling to see guys up close. 

If the Redskins can lock up Kirk in a LTD, then I'd have to consider this offseason (on paper of course) as one of the most successful since the year Casserly fleeced Ditka.  I know we still have to see how everyone performs.  We'll know about the rookies in a couple of years but I think there may be some instant contributors.  If they get Kirk locked up then I'd truly be comfortable with them promoting from within. 

7 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

If the Redskins can lock up Kirk in a LTD, then I'd have to consider this offseason (on paper of course) as one of the most successful since the year Casserly fleeced Ditka.  I know we still have to see how everyone performs.  We'll know about the rookies in a couple of years but I think there may be some instant contributors.  If they get Kirk locked up then I'd truly be comfortable with them promoting from within. 

I'd still prefer they try to pluck an up and comer from another FO but if they can lock up Kirk, this offseason would be an overwhelming success

Our outlook as a team over the next few seasons is directly tied to him IMO. 

Archived