Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/nfl-draft-countdown-5-questions-redskins-director-college-scouting-scott?utm_content=bufferbd035&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I really don't like how much of this upcoming Scott Campbell interview will probably be wasted on questions about Scott M. and front office management.  

Seems really cowardly to throw Campbell to the wolves and have him answer these questions, which isn't his job at all, and spend time dealing with media questions just because Allen doesn't want to and has decided he's "done" dealing with it.  I'm expecting some corporate line that implys the GM role is overrated and the Redskins are actually AHEAD of other teams and are super smart by using this novel  new, group-think method to make all these important decisions.

I got the notification on my phone from the Redskins app and immediately thought...since when does Scott Campbell speak?  Considering the level of hush coming from Redskins Park over the past few months, it just seems strange to send him out to the wolves.  I'm sure he's been coached to avoid the Scott questions like the plague.  Perhaps this is a test to see if he's 'the guy' moving forward?  I use the term 'the guy' as I think its pretty obvious we will never have an actual GM with Bruce in tow.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

^^ Good lord, you guys lol...

I'm not sure how my post is worthy of a 'good lord'.  I simply thought it was weird that Scott was talking to the media.  Personally, I've never heard him speak.  Given the situation with Scott Mc and the limited amount of information since then, I'd expect reporters to take it there.  It's possible he could be given this opportunity to see how he can handle it.  I'm not even against that, it's certainly the better option to me over Doug Williams.

7 hours ago, Probos said:

Doesn't matter that you're willing to "bet".  It's all speculation.  No one on this board knows any of the details of the situation between Bruce and Scot.  You choice to support the FO of the team.

That situation/debacle is over and done with -- time to move on.

It's common sense. Bruce brought him here to better the team any reports stating he's now or was jealous is silly and I would bet that Scot had yet another episode to cause his firing. 

On 4/24/2017 at 9:34 AM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure how my post is worthy of a 'good lord'.  I simply thought it was weird that Scott was talking to the media.  Personally, I've never heard him speak.  Given the situation with Scott Mc and the limited amount of information since then, I'd expect reporters to take it there.  It's possible he could be given this opportunity to see how he can handle it.  I'm not even against that, it's certainly the better option to me over Doug Williams.

"since when does Scott Campbell speak?" - He's spoken many times to the press and done interviews. This is hardly new for him.

"it just seems strange to send him out to the wolves." - He wasn't being "sent out to the wolves" lol..He was doing a presser about the draft. He wasn't being asked to explain all the McCloughan decisions and timelines. And if someone tried going down that road, that's a very easy question to deflect.

32 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Can someone please provide the footnotes to this Kirk/Scott stuff that's being referred to?  I can't stream that stuff in the office.

Basically, a fan blogged that another fan (he wouldn't name this other fan or his Twitter handle) ran into Scot and had a conversation about the team and his departure from the team.  Nothing that was said hasn't been speculated by a news outlet prior to this, for the most part, other than Scot really likes the organization and Snyder (not Bruce) and thinks the team is headed in the right direction for now and should be a true contender soon, but we need to get a true GM and Doug Williams, though a nice guy, shouldn't be it.  

I'm not going to debate the legitimacy of what was said, other to say that I have gone on record several times having issues with the media and their "sources" mess, and they do that for a living.  I personally have a hard time buying into the hearsay from a fan being legit, but that is just me.  I do find it interesting that almost everything that was said has been posted by one or several posters on this board, so it makes me wonder which one of you guys is the mysterious fan! :) 

I'd also like to add that if this story is true, and Scot just blabs all of this to a fan in chance meeting, I understand why Bruce and the team may have put a gag order on him.

7 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

That.  Is.  Just.  Super.

Other teams will have a good idea of who Skins like and who they don't.

Only if Scot tells other teams "Ok, the Skins really were leaning to drafting DL and RB as high as possible, these are the players they were considering at #17, and keep a lookout for these players in the later rounds because I know for a fact that the Skins are gonna target them if they're available."

I'm not sure if you guys understand how scouting services work, but it's not where a team's GM says "Hey, Scot...give us your top 50 players in the draft". Maybe Scot runs his differently, so who knows. But I highly doubt anyone signed on to use his scouting service for this year's draft anyway...waaaay too late for that. If anyone uses his service it would probably start after this year's draft and well ahead of next year's draft in order to be worth the $$ they would pay for it. A lot is involved in using these types of services.

Plus, pretty sure the Skins had Scot sign a nondisclosure agreement either at the time of his hiring or at his termination that says he is unable to discuss any Redskins info with "competitors". I mean, even the Skins were on record as saying Scot could go work for any other team now...why would they put that out there in the media if they weren't confident in Scot's inability to discuss their secrets--not to mention, Scot blabbing about the Redskins' personnel choices to other teams isn't the best way to build up a clientele among NFL front offices lol...he'd be doing himself harm.

How did any NFL team ever get by without the draft advice of SM. Some people in this fan base give the man way too much credit. 

And I'm one that believe he had potential to do well here but **** happens... let move on and draft some "football players" this weekend and take back the NFCE!

Hail!

41 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Plus, pretty sure the Skins had Scot sign a nondisclosure agreement either at the time of his hiring or at his termination that says he is unable to discuss any Redskins info with "competitors".

I guess this clause, if there is one, is not difficult to circumvent. Then it just take one team to sign him and he can spill the beans no need to involve any other team.

Do NFL players sign non-disclosure agreements? When they are traded to a competitive team, are they restricted from revealing their former team's plays and calls?

Dana H. ShultzDana H. Shultz, California lawyer - have prepared, reviewed or negotiated thousands of contracts Written 6 Jan 2014
Short answer: No.
Somewhat longer answer: As agent Jack Bechta explains at 5 components of an NFL contract that may surprise you, each player signs a standard-form contract (though there may be a lengthy player-specific addendum). A copy of that agreement is available from SB Nation at Page on Sbnation. It does not include a confidentiality provision.
I don't know about GM contracts, maybe a fellow lawyer fan could tell us.

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I guess this clause, if there is one, is not difficult to circumvent. Then it just take one team to sign him and he can spill the beans no need to involve any other team.

Do NFL players sign non-disclosure agreements? When they are traded to a competitive team, are they restricted from revealing their former team's plays and calls?

Dana H. ShultzDana H. Shultz, California lawyer - have prepared, reviewed or negotiated thousands of contracts Written 6 Jan 2014
Short answer: No.
Somewhat longer answer: As agent Jack Bechta explains at 5 components of an NFL contract that may surprise you, each player signs a standard-form contract (though there may be a lengthy player-specific addendum). A copy of that agreement is available from SB Nation at Page on Sbnation. It does not include a confidentiality provision.
I don't know about GM contracts, maybe a fellow lawyer fan could tell us.

Difficult to circumvent?  How is it being circumvented?  And, players and FO personnel are completely different as far as information like that is concerned.  Now, if a player takes a playbook to another team, THAT is illegal, but a player can tell a new team signals and such that he remembers from his time with the previous team.  That happens all the time and is much different than a FO person signing a nondisclosure agreement/clause.

9 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

Difficult to circumvent?  How is it being circumvented?  And, players and FO personnel are completely different as far as information like that is concerned.  Now, if a player takes a playbook to another team, THAT is illegal, but a player can tell a new team signals and such that he remembers from his time with the previous team.  That happens all the time and is much different than a FO person signing a nondisclosure agreement/clause.

I said not difficult to circumvent such a clause, through third parties, anonymity, he can work for another team send his draft grades and it would be easy for this team knowing our needs to guess who we're going to draft. In the end I doubt he is going to hurt us.

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

I said not difficult to circumvent such a clause, through third parties, anonymity, he can work for another team send his draft grades and it would be easy for this team knowing our needs to guess who we're going to draft. We can also go a different path knowing that for example since he was fired the team collected other infos like some players have hurt their draft stock. In the end I doubt he is going to hurt us.

Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.  I really don't think it is going to hurt as either.  I also think that if Scot wants to really get a FO job again, he needs the Redskins draft this year to go well.  Everyone in the media is talking about how we are using the board he helped set, so it would be to his benefit if we have a great draft this year.  If he goes and screws us over, then our chances of having a great draft that will reflect well on him go way down while also showing other clubs that you not only have to worry about alcohol with this guy, but also him being pretty low on character as far as business integrity is concerned.

This Scotty Mac situation is exactly why you dont fire a person before the draft, because your PR team cant do their job properly.  It was a stupid last second decision.  Even if you plan to fire the guy, you wait until after the draft so he cant inform other teams.

What, you say?  Campbell said they already have changed the board a lot, so they arent using Scotts picks?  Well that flies in the face of why they said they fired him.  If it was just his drinking like Bruce claims, then why wouldnt you use his picks?  If you didnt like his picks and fired him for that, and changed the whole board around, you get caught out for lying.

Frankly, it just smells more and more each day, and each time one of them talks about it.  They have seriously put themself in a position where either now a bunch of teams know your draft board, and you now have to compete with them, or do what Campbell, Bruce and the others say you DONT do, and that is throw out your draft board 2 months before the draft and redo it all.

I think the one saving grace for us will be if Scott Campbell really knows his stuff.

Just now, Taylor 36 said:

Sorry if I misunderstood your first post.  I really don't think it is going to hurt as either.  I also think that if Scot wants to really get a FO job again, he needs the Redskins draft this year to go well.  Everyone in the media is talking about how we are using the board he helped set, so it would be to his benefit if we have a great draft this year.  If he goes and screws us over, then our chances of having a great draft that will reflect well on him go way down while also showing other clubs that you not only have to worry about alcohol with this guy, but also him being pretty low on character as far as business integrity is concerned.

No problem Taylor 36. I'm no GM, I barely know my 101 football but it would have been more logical to me to have fired him after the draft.

Archived