Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Signs point to Giants playing starters vs. Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Don't kid yourselves, the playoff angle is irrelevant here, NY will wants to win this one. Not just win but beat the Skins, really screw 'em over in every way possible. The last thing they want stuck in their craw is being swept by a team they hold in such utter contempt. They will show up.

Another thing, OBJ can beat nuns to death with a club made from kittens at midfield and jack**** will happen, it is beyond foolish to think that we can or will catch the smallest breaks here, gonna be playing against the Giants and the refs in this one, Norman even waves from the sidelines he draws another chicken**** "hands in the face" penalty kinda thing, I honestly expect that. I'd tell the team that straight up, you have to win twice as hard to even stand a chance.

This IS a playoff team for our guys, they need to want that win the same way, they need to hunger for it, to crave a sweep, to want to ram their faces in the dirt, just unapologetically eff you! the whole game. Not swagger, not bravado, not trash talkin' wanna be bull****, for real starvin dog bloodlust crazy on their ass. Win the score, win the game, beat their asses til they bleed and steal their chances in the playoffs by sending them in limping.

23 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Good. You should earn your trip to the playoffs anyways. This just shows how stupid Mcadoo is. You cannot improve your playoff status and you are going to risk your players getting hurt. I love it. Lets beat them Sunday. then knock them out of the playoffs later on.

Agree, lets play our only Star (Beckham) against a guy who knows how to get in his head to risk him getting in a fight and being suspended for the playoffs. 

Man the audio clip they were playing of the Giants coach on the Junkies this morning on the way to work had me LOL'ing in my car while driving.

Reporter: "So just to clarify, Eli will be playing the whole game?"

Ben: "Eli will be playing the ball game, yes."

If the roles were reversed, I'd want Gruden saying the same things and our team preparing the same way. The Giants played a bad game last week and need to build some sort of momentum before heading on the road to play a playoff game they will likely be expected to lose. So, I completely understand their mentality heading into this game. 

Having said that, it's laughable to think they care about things like "knocking the Redskins out" or "not getting swept" over being healthy for the post-season. They have bigger fish to fry right now and won't jeopardize that for some grudge match against a team that has NOTHING to lose. 

I think the Giants will start the game at full strength with maybe a couple exceptions (players with injuries). But, at some point in the 2nd quarter I expect to see them gradually start moving players in and out of the lineup. After maybe the first or second drive of the 3rd quarter I wouldn't expect to see Beckham, Manning, or any of their main skill players. Ideally (for them), they have looked sharp and built a lead so they don't have much more to gain or accomplish in the final 20+ minutes. 

Hopefully we just take it to whoever is out there and it's an even game when they start calling off the dogs. 

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can't get enough of Josh Norman.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play this year.

My favorite FA signing since Wilber Marshall.  And I worship at the house of Wilber.  

Was LITERALLY just talking to my family about this just now.

Wilber is number 1 for me.

Norman and PG are somewhere tied for 2nd and Andy Heck is third.  Fletch is in the top 5 as well but his last couple of years made me sour just a touch.

Norman is the kind of guy who make your team better because of his attitude.

These quotes from Cruz give it away I think. I don't see the starters playing beyond a few drives in the 1st half.

New York Giants WR Victor Cruz

On what this game means for them:

“I think offensively we just want to, you know, get some things going a little bit, get our offense going, get some rhythm as we go through these games and make sure that we’re sharp for the first week of the playoffs and make sure that we’re clicking kind of on all cylinders. But we want to go out there and put some drives together, put some points on the board and take it from there.”

On how the starters are handling this game without anything at stake:

“I think we’re buying in. I think we understand that we’re all… we’re going into the game knowing or thinking that we’re all going to play and going in with that mindset and going in with the mindset of defeating a division rivalry and taking it from there. I don’t think, you know, at least he [Ben McAdoo] doesn’t want to put it in our heads that, you know, someone is not going to play or whatever the case may be because you just want to keep everybody mentally into the game and making sure that we’re coming in all everything all guns blazing and take it from there.”

I'd think the Giants ideally want to do to the Redskins what the Redskins did to the Cowboys last year, take them apart in 1 quarter or 1 half and then rest key starters after that.  But the question in my mind is what happens if the Giants don't pummel the Redskins right away, what if the Redskins are ahead, what if the Giants offense looks awful?  Considering all the rhetoric from McAdoo and their players about this being an important dress rehearsal, lets get the offense going, lets take the Redskins out of the playoffs -- they've really laid it on thick psychologically for this game.   So if this is the dress rehearsal and the Giants fail -- isn't the result here, yeah we are the team that lost to the Eagles, and we should be worried about our playoff matches.  Just saying the Giants are laying on the stakes unusually thick IMO for a game like this.

I've been wondering the same thing. They will be in trouble if they don't take a huge lead early. I believe our boys will be kinda fired up for their last home game of the season and will want to play a great game in front of the home crowd.

Now, when I read stuff like, OBJ should get out of the game if he doesn't want to be suspended... I mean... Seriously?

We're facing a team that cheated by using talkies and got a small fine for it. Don't worry about OBJ being suspended, won't happen.

In fact, we're facing the Giants, the Refs, the Competition Commitee, and Roger Goodell.

I can't wait to kick their butts, all of them :) I've got 36M reasons to want this. And it's even better if they put their starter on, take a beating, and put them away, main ones that is, because the game is out of reach. Which would be the best insult to throw to them. Like: look! It's early in the 3rd and they're giving up!

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd think the Giants ideally want to do to the Redskins what the Redskins did to the Cowboys last year, take them apart in 1 quarter or 1 half and then rest key starters after that.  But the question in my mind is what happens if the Giants don't pummel the Redskins right away, what if the Redskins are ahead, what if the Giants offense looks awful?  Considering all the rhetoric from McAdoo and their players about this being an important dress rehearsal, lets get the offense going, lets take the Redskins out of the playoffs -- they've really laid it on thick psychologically for this game.   So if this is the dress rehearsal and the Giants fail -- isn't the result here, yeah we are the team that lost to the Eagles, and we should be worried about our playoff matches.  Just saying the Giants are laying on the stakes unusually thick IMO for a game like this.

It's like intercepting a pass at the end of the game when your team is up by 2 points... NOTHING good can happen if you return that pick.  Just go down.

Best case you win by 9, worst case you fumble it and lose.

But hey, let them dance with the devil in the pail moon light.

29 minutes ago, DC9 said:

It's like intercepting a pass at the end of the game when your team is up by 2 points... NOTHING good can happen if you return that pick.  Just go down.

Best case you win by 9, worst case you fumble it and lose.

Yeah, I'll give them this.  They cued the Redskins up to go full out and even added bulletin board material to add fuel.   And, if they lose the Giants set themselves up for a psychological let down headed to the playoffs not to mention the potential of losing players.  

McAdoo IMO is setting up more losing scenarios for his team than winning because the odds that they BOTH win and don't suffer injuries is small.  If the Giants win and lose a key player then its the equivalent of a loss.   If they lose and players get hurt -- disaster for them -- based on how McAdoo is playing this game up.  Only win win for them is they win and they don't suffer injuries.

Even with all the talk coming from the Giants, I can see them resting players(especially the injured ones) on defense.  They're good to go there and know what they got.  I expect to see the first team offense there for as long as they have to be to get some momentum going.  

If our past 5 games or so is any indicator, we're gonna start the game by deferring, they'll march up the field and score 6 easily.  After scoring another touchdown on their 3rd drive, the starters on offense start getting subbed out.  We'll hold their second string offense scoreless for the second half, and have a false sense of confidence in our D/Joe Barry heading into the playoffs.

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I can't get enough of Josh Norman.  I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him play this year.

My favorite FA signing since Wilber Marshall.  And I worship at the house of Wilber.  

Ah, the 6 million dollar man. I remember when he signed it was huge news across the league and country.

Sure could use him about now, he'd make OBJ pee in his pants.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Now, when I read stuff like, OBJ should get out of the game if he doesn't want to be suspended... I mean... Seriously?

We're facing a team that cheated by using talkies and got a small fine for it. Don't worry about OBJ being suspended, won't happen.

In fact, we're facing the Giants, the Refs, the Competition Commitee, and Roger Goodell.

OBJ got suspended last year for 1 game after the Car/Norman incident. 

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

We need to hit Eli big early in the game. Knock some sense out of him, and into McAdoo.

Joe Barry is just putting his finishing touches on the soft-zone cover -3, rush 4 and no-blitzing game plan for this week. 

It's a good thought, but we don't have a smart DC. 

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

oh, Jack. 

Dont want to face them in the playoffs.  It's very rare to beat a team 3 times in the same year.

Probably wont happen anyways unless both team make it to the Champ game.  We'd most likely play Seattle in the 1st round, then Dallas in the 2nd if we can somehow find a way to win on the road in the north west.  That is a tall order.

24 minutes ago, illone said:

Dont want to face them in the playoffs.  It's very rare to beat a team 3 times in the same year.

Probably wont happen anyways unless both team make it to the Champ game.  We'd most likely play Seattle in the 1st round, then Dallas in the 2nd if we can somehow find a way to win on the road in the north west.  That is a tall order.

How awesome would that be though? Excercise those demons against Seattle, then beat Dallas finally (3rd times a charm right?) then beat the Giants for the third time on our way to a super bowl 51 matchup against New England?

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's an article from the Giants ESPN reporter about them being inspired to play to kick the Redskins out of the playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/50312/some-giants-may-take-joy-in-knocking-the-redskins-out-of-playoffs

Well, then it is up to our team to take any "joy" out of the scenario for them.  They can say what they want during the week when no one is getting hit, but it will be a different situation when guys are flying into each other and trying to tear each other's heads off for 60 minutes.  Suddenly those nagging aches and pains will feel like justification to sit it out and get well for the playoffs. 

For conversation's sake, let's say the the game plays out similar to the first game.  The Giants have the ball with a chance to win the game.  Giants march to the 'Skins 30 yard line.  Eli drops back, under heavy pressure, heaves a prayer into the endzone and it's caught, but in the process he is absolutely drilled and gets a broken rib.   Giants win the game, eliminate the 'Skins from the playoffs.  

How much celebrating do you think the Giants will be doing after the game in the locker room because they knocked the 'Skins out of the playoffs?

Archived