Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Signs point to Giants playing starters vs. Redskins

Boss_Hogg

I'm not buying this at all.  I think the starting offense plays a series or 2 and then goes out.  Kinda like a preseason game.  And the first time Beckham shows any signs of losing his cool, he'll be pulled.  Can't risk him getting suspended for playoff game.

I don't see their starting dline playing at all.  What's the point?  Defensive players don't need to "stay in rhythm".  For the Giants, rest is more useful than playing a meaningless game.

The Boys had more reason to play starters due to their being down for 3 weeks and look what happened...their starting LT got dinged.  It's said to not be serious but it is an injured MCL and makes him less than 100% right now.  And it could have been much worse.

I think we see backup Giants for much of the game.

I can't see them benching their starters, they don't want to get swept by us and go into the playoffs on a loss.

The Giants are a 10 win team, 1 loss from having to scrap for a playoff spot just like us so its not like they are some unstoppable force that can take a break.

I hope they play their starters, I wouldn't want it any other way.

From 2 hours ago, NY Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-coach-ben-mcadoo-no-rest-starters-washington-article-1.2926923

Ben McAdoo channeled his inner Herm Edwards Wednesday, saying he will play to win the game on Sunday even though the contest against Washington means nothing.

His reasoning had nothing to do with momentum. It wasn't about staving off rust. It was, basically, just because.

"We're going to play our players and go win the ball game," Ben McAdoo said. "That's what we do for a living. We only have 53 players on our roster. It's tough to go through a game if you rest your starters. We think we have 53 starters. Everyone plays a role on the team and you go in, you have an opportunity to play this week, we have to win the game this week."

The Giants are the No. 5 seed win, lose or tie on Sunday and will play a road playoff game the following weekend. But, based on McAdoo's word, Big Blue won't be taking the opportunity to rest some of its stars for the contest a week later that actually matters.
However, the Giants head coach did leave the door open to sitting Eli Manning at some point during the game. After McAdoo said his team would play to win, he was asked if Manning would play the whole game.

"Eli's going to play the game, yes," McAdoo said.

But what about the whole game?

"Eli's going to play the ball game, yes," the coach responded.

So McAdoo's dodging could mean Manning comes out at some point on Sunday. But there are plenty of other players who are perhaps banged up but still healthy enough to play on a Sunday if needed. Crucial players like Janoris Jenkins, who missed last week with a back injury, might benefit from a week off. Jenkins' status is up in the air, but McAdoo said he won't err on the side of caution just because of the lack of playoff consequences.

"This is pro football. We get paid to coach and paid to play," McAdoo said. "That's what we do, it's what we do for a living. Another game on the schedule, it's a division game, it's an important game."

While the age-old debate over whether teams should start or rest their stars in a meaningless regular season game has never quite been settled, McAdoo's logic appears to ignore the bigger picture. He gave a flat-out "no" when asked if his team needed to win to create momentum heading into the playoffs after last week's loss to the Eagles. Instead, it was all about him and his player's fulfilling their job responsibilities.

But McAdoo's job and the Giants' job is not to win Week 17 against Washington. It's to win the Super Bowl. And it seems short-sighted to, at least publicly, not seem to weigh the effect of playing full throttle against Washington.

But there is this: the players like it. Not a soul in the locker room could be found this week that said he hoped to get limited work or sit this one out.

"We are putting the pedal to the metal," Landon Collins said. "We are playing it like a playoff game, treating it like a playoff game and coming out and firing on all cylinders. That is our mindset and we are trying to get the W."

Like I said before, he is saying what a head coach is expected to say.  Doesn't mean he won't pull certain players.  No one expects every starter to sit down. It's logistically impossible, however sitting Eli and ODB Jr and anyone else they feel like, is reasonable given the situation.

Beckham adding to the Pugh chorus about liking the idea of knocking the Redskins out of the playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18365876/new-york-giants-coach-ben-mcadoo-plans-start-qb-eli-manning-wr-odell-beckham-jr-washington-redskins

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Being locked into the fifth seed in the NFC playoffs will not stop the New York Giants from putting quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on the field Sunday in their regular-season finale against the Washington Redskins.

Coach Ben McAdoo plans to play whoever is healthy and cleared to play, seemingly without limitation. Manning would be making his 199th consecutive regular-season start.

"We have 53 [players] on the roster," McAdoo said. "We're going to activate 46. We have to go down and win the ball game."

Will it be the Giants' normal 46 players on the active gameday roster?

"We're going to play to win the ball game," McAdoo said.

The Redskins (9-5-1) will be fighting for their playoff lives. The Giants can knock their division rival out of the postseason.

"Definitely knowing you could keep a team out of the playoffs, that's a big deal, in a sense," Beckham said.

17 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

How sweet it would be for them to play this macho **** to the media only to get smoked. Please beat these guys...HTTR

The upside of all of this is I think ironically it helps get the Redskins in the right mind frame.   If you think you are playing the Giants backups -- maybe they let down a little.

Every major paper that covers the team has a writer saying they are hoping McAdoo is bluffing.  I love the last line I posted here -- yeah the Giants can ruin the Redskins postseason hopes but conversely so can the Redskins in a different way.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/28/mcadoo-is-toying-with-an-eli-and-beckham-risk-that-isnt-worth-it/

“We’re gonna play to win the ballgame,” McAdoo said.

Play to win the ballgame, Ben.

Just don’t play to win the ballgame at all costs.

I asked him if he understands the concern of Giants fans who worry Manning and Beckham could get hurt if they play the whole game.

“They can get better, too,” McAdoo told The Post, “and the upside is worth the risk.”

The sky-is-the-limit upside is not worth the risk of a freak injury costing you your two-time Super Bowl MVP or your otherworldly, game-changing wide receiver.

McAdoo’s objective must be twofold: Get to the wild-card game with a healthy team, and more specifically and critically, with a healthy Manning and Beckham.

McAdoo’s message for nail-biting Giants fans: Trust me.

“You have to take a tough, physical, battle-tested team, starting in the 17th game. … Injuries are a part of the game, and if you run around worried about injuries and the sky is falling, that’s something that you can’t control,” McAdoo told The Post. “It could happen in practice, it could happen walking to their car, it could happen at any point in time, and we have to take a tough, physical, battle-tested team into the 17th game.”

It could also happen against a Redskins team that would relish ruining the Giants’ postseason even if they do not manage to punch their own ticket to the dance.

**** it ! 

Let the Giants play at full strength for the entire game.

Now it becomes a battle of wills. 2 teams, divisional rivals, the Giants have already lost at home to the Redskins, now they play on the road.

but here's the underlying issue.

If, and its a big IF, Gruden has a solid gameplan and the defense isn't sipping lattes at Starbucks instead of playing smart defensive football, and we beat the giants, with their full compliment of players, that will be a huge blow to their mentality.

Think about it; they play the game like a normal game and get beat, they will be damaged goods, and most likely be 1-n-done in the playoffs.

A head coach also maintains the flow of emotions on a team, and if it happens, he will see his team getting down in the dumps, and will have no choice but to pull players to save their egos.

So yes, I do believe they will play their starters probably for a half at most, but if they walk into a hornets nest with the Redskins, they'll be sitting down much sooner.

31 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Like I said before, he is saying what a head coach is expected to say.  Doesn't mean he won't pull certain players.  No one expects every starter to sit down. It's logistically impossible, however sitting Eli and ODB Jr and anyone else they feel like, is reasonable given the situation.

Sub posted what Jay said before the Dallas game last year, Jay gave plenty of strong hints about sitting starters.  The Steelers right now are flat out saying they are sitting players.  Not every team plays a cat mouse game when it comes to these situations -- its possible that McAdoo means everything he's saying.   I think oddly though whether McAdoo means it or not, he's doing the Redskins a favor this week -- best mindset IMO for the Redskins is to prepare for a big fight.

17 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

**** it ! 

Let the Giants play at full strength for the entire game.

Now it becomes a battle of wills. 2 teams, divisional rivals, the Giants have already lost at home to the Redskins, now they play on the road.

but here's the underlying issue.

If, and its a big IF, Gruden has a solid gameplan and the defense isn't sipping lattes at Starbucks instead of playing smart defensive football, and we beat the giants, with their full compliment of players, that will be a huge blow to their mentality.

Think about it; they play the game like a normal game and get beat, they will be damaged goods, and most likely be 1-n-done in the playoffs.

A head coach also maintains the flow of emotions on a team, and if it happens, he will see his team getting down in the dumps, and will have no choice but to pull players to save their egos.

So yes, I do believe they will play their starters probably for a half at most, but if they walk into a hornets nest with the Redskins, they'll be sitting down much sooner.

Great post.  My gut is McAdoo is telling everyone they are going full blast because they have every intention to go full blast in the first half -- they ideally in their eyes would bury the Redskins by taking a big lead and then sit their major stars in the 2nd half and coast to a win.  Obviously we want to win for our own sake but you are right McAdoo is playing up the stakes so much as this being a dress rehearsal that it would be a big downer for them if they fail their dress rehearsal.  In terms of rhetoric, McAdoo is laying on more pressure on his team for this game ironically than Jay seems to be doing.

Eli will be out by the second half.  Vernon needs some rest so even if he plays the whole game, I see them rotating out and limiting his playing time so he can rest up a bit.  He has played a lot!  Beckham admitted to being exhausted against Philly and that is why he wasn't able to catch up to the ball in the endzone that would have won the game for the Giants.  Janoris Jenkins is still not cleared from the back injury last Thursday.  Will all the starters play?  Probably.  But, they will either be pulled out early or rotate in sparingly throughout the game depending on situations.  

The only part of the team that should play the whole game is the OLine because they need the work.

A part of me would love to see half of the teams in the playoffs in the NFC come from the NFC East.

I have no problem with McAdoo saying what he is saying. He likely

wants to ensure his team stays in routine and stays mentally sharp. I am sure he wants them to have a good week of practice and preparation and if you tell half the guys they have the week off then it is going to naturally take the edge off. 

Now, if he actually plays all of his starters the entire game? Well, then he is a idiot. That makes very little sense. Once Eli, OBJ, etc could some snaps under their belt, they are likely in the proper state and routine to be ready to go the following week. I see very little benefit to keeping them in the entire game vs the risks it poses. 

As as we know, each week in the NFL is like a new season. Any "momentum" the Giants gain from beating us isn't likely to carry over to Green Bay the next week. But you know what WILL carry over? A high ankle sprain or a concussion. 

The Giants SHOULD talk this way and then they SHOULD play their top guns limited snaps Sunday. And the Redskins SHOULD be ready to roll regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Tom [Giants fan] said:

Vernon needs some rest so even if he plays the whole game, I see them rotating out and limiting his playing time so he can rest up a bit.  He has played a lot!  

http://nypost.com/2016/12/28/giants-olivier-vernon-can-get-his-rest-later/

Giants’ Olivier Vernon can get his rest later

December 28, 2016 | 6:15pm

3 hours ago, jschuck12001 said:

I can't see them benching their starters, they don't want to get swept by us and go into the playoffs on a loss.

The Giants are a 10 win team, 1 loss from having to scrap for a playoff spot just like us so its not like they are some unstoppable force that can take a break.

I hope they play their starters, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I completely agree with this.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

The old ' say one thing, do something different.

Wouldn't surprise me if McAdoo was in full cheerleader uniform as they come out onto the field.

This is hella funny...what ever ya do mcadoo don't shave the stash!

5 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

This game is less than meaningless for Nyawk.

Skins should try and get to Eli from the get go ... force Macadoo to take him out!

What are you kidding me!

Wishfully thinking yours,

You are just a ray of sunshine aren't you

8 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Who cares if they play their starters..If the redskins can't beat them then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs..

If McAdoo wants to play his starters, it's not stupid or anything else. We just need to come into the game ready to play. 

Archived