Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Signs point to Giants playing starters vs. Redskins

Boss_Hogg

58 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

If thats the case, wouldn't it be better for them to rest their starters? If the Giants win with backup, then they get to claim how awesome they are. If they lose with backups, they can say they were just playing their backups.

I gather they legitimately want to build momentum for the playoffs.  I'd guess their ideal scenario would be to do what the Redskins did last year to the Cowboys, play the starters at the beginning put together a big lead and then use backups to preserve the win in the 2nd half.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/casillas-vets-movitvate-giants-haven-playoffs-article-1.2928117

Casillas did not address the media after practice, but McAdoo reinforced Casillas’ sense of urgency by putting his team in full pads on Thursday. And don’t think the Giants have forgotten about that 29-27 Week 3 loss to Washington at MetLife Stadium, either. That came up in Casillas’ motivational talk, too.

“He said this was a really important week for us,” rookie defensive end Romeo Okwara said. “We lost to them the last time we played them here at home, and we just have to play our best this week, try to get this win and take a little bit of that loss away in our minds. It would be like a playoff win for us.”

The Giants are in you guy's head. No coach is going to pass up the opportunity to rest guys this late in the season. Eli will play a few series' to keep his streak going. After that, Packer and Lion fans are going to be PISSED!!!

I find it laughable people saying the Giants "can't afford to lose two" heading into the playoffs. Why not? I don't think it matters at all. Nothing that happens good or bad is likely to carry over for them EXCEPT for any injuries they suffer. THOSE will carry over. Momemtum? Meh. 

Remember 2015 when we won four in a row... and then lost our wild card game?

or 2012 when we seven in a row... and then lost out wild card game? 

Or 2007 when we won four in a row... and then lost our wild card game? 

Or 1992 when we lost our final two games.... and then WON the wild card game 24-7?

or 1991 when we lost our last game of the season.... and then won the Super Bowl? 

Look if the Giants want to play their guys the full game for some

sort of macho reasoning that is their right and the Redskins should be ready to tango regardless. But this notion that the Giants are somehow going to set a tone for their playoff game in Lambeau or Atlanta by beating the Redskins is pure comedy. 

26 minutes ago, kleese said:

I find it laughable people saying the Giants "can't afford to lose two" heading into the playoffs. Why not? I don't think it matters at all. Nothing that happens good or bad is likely to carry over for them EXCEPT for any injuries they suffer. THOSE will carry over. Momemtum? Meh. 

Or 1992 when we lost our final two games.... and then WON the wild card game 24-7?

or 1991 when we lost our last game of the season.... and then won the Super Bowl? 

sort of macho reasoning that is their right and the Redskins should be ready to tango regardless. But this notion that the Giants are somehow going to set a tone for their playoff game in Lambeau or Atlanta by beating the Redskins is pure comedy. 

Agree 110%. Momentum heading into the playoffs is entirely overrated. I was actually referencing our '92 playoff game earlier today. We lost two in a row heading in. We needed to beat a Raider team in week 17 at home that had already been eliminated from the playoffs to ensure a playoff berth. We embarrassed ourselves at home and lost to that Raider team. However, the chips fell in the right places and we still "backed" into the playoffs. We then crushed a hot Viking team on the road and hung tough with the 49ers in the divisional round until Rypien fumbled in the mud on the potential game tieing drive. 

1 hour ago, DM72 said:

The Giants are in you guy's head. No coach is going to pass up the opportunity to rest guys this late in the season. Eli will play a few series' to keep his streak going. After that, Packer and Lion fans are going to be PISSED!!!

I mean if a Giant player even limps off the field early the questions will start flying...

1 minute ago, VeroViper said:

Agree 110%. Momentum heading into the playoffs is entirely overrated. I was actually referencing our '92 playoff game earlier today. We lost two in a row heading in. We needed to beat a Raider team in week 17 at home that had already been eliminated from the playoffs to ensure a playoff berth. We embarrassed ourselves at home and lost to that Raider team. However, the chips fell in the right places and we still "backed" into the playoffs. We then crushed a hot Viking team on the road and hung tough with the 49ers in the divisional round until Rypien fumbled in the mud on the potential game tieing drive. 

Wasn't it Mitchell? I remember he had a GAPPING hole on a run late in the game and he lost the ball on the handoff. SF caught so many breaks that game. Not to mention the end zone INT Young threw RIGHT TOO AJ Johnson who proceeded to drop it and it fell right into John Taylors hands TD 49ers.. 

SF used all their breaks against us. It was only fitting Dallas destroyed them the following week..

20 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I mean if a Giant player even limps off the field early the questions will start flying...

Wasn't it Mitchell? I remember he had a GAPPING hole on a run late in the game and he lost the ball on the handoff. SF caught so many breaks that game. Not to mention the end zone INT Young threw RIGHT TOO AJ Johnson who proceeded to drop it and it fell right into John Taylors hands TD 49ers.. 

SF used all their breaks against us. It was only fitting Dallas destroyed them the following week..

Perhaps my memory is failing me but I thought Rypien fumbled the snap into the muddy turf. Correction. I just looked it up. Rypien didn't fumble the snap but he is the one that botched the handoff. And Mitchell did state that he had a gaping hole and could have possibly scored a TD. 

remember that day well, grew up in the bay (about 20 miles south of SF), and had to attend a meeting with classmates on a project that Saturday and got home just in time to see the fumble. Was pouring most of that day and was pretty much soaking wet. A rare miserable weather day in SF, like the classic shock SF loss to Minnesota five years earlier that paved the way for our upset super bowl run in XXII. 

9 hours ago, DM72 said:

It could go down that way.  I don't think the Giants are in our heads --its that we just don't like that team, and personally I enjoy showing how arrogant they are.  Even Santana Moss said this week on the radio, the Redskins didn't get as up against the Giants as they should have back in his day -- and in retrospect they should have, he doesn't like that team.  I think this rivalry has gone below the radar with some of our fan base which I find ironic considering that's the team that pokes at the Redskins the most.

There's a reason we're 8 point favorites and it isn't because we're a much better team.

If the giants needed this win to get into the playoffs we'd be 2 point favorites at best so there's no doubt in my mind the giants will be resting starters throughout the game.

We just have to make damn sure they don't get a huge early lead and as long as we do that we should be fine.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced it doesn't matter who the Giants start or what they are trying to achieve.  If we can jump in front and play with the intensity we need to play for such an important came FOR US then we will win this one.  My only major concern is how we came out against the Panthers in another must win game.  Totally "average" almost disinterested.  We can't afford to have another game like that, let the Giants hang around or go in front early.  We need to have a game like against the Bears, take any fight out of them by the end of the first quarter.

10 hours ago, kleese said:

Yeah I agree with this 100%.

You guys remember the start of our season?  We lost 2 in a row.  And then won 4 in a row, the exact number the Giants would need to win after 2 losses to win the Super Bowl if they were to do that.  

This is all smoke and mirrors and the Macadoo clearly isn't stupid.  He already gave it away that he's not playing his starters the full game when he replied to the guy asking if Eli will play the whole game and he replied "Eli will play the ball game, yes".

Worst case scenario:

Our players spend all of their energy in the first half trying to beat up the Giants so they take their starters out.  Giants starters rise to the occasion because they don't have to worry about pacing themselves for a whole game.

Backups come in the second half, our players have nothing left in the tank and some no name player has a career day against us.

13 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

The more I think about it the more I am convinced it doesn't matter who the Giants start or what they are trying to achieve.  If we can jump in front and play with the intensity we need to play for such an important came FOR US then we will win this one.  My only major concern is how we came out against the Panthers in another must win game.  Totally "average" almost disinterested.  We can't afford to have another game like that, let the Giants hang around or go in front early.  We need to have a game like against the Bears, take any fight out of them by the end of the first quarter.

The bolded is the key this week IMO.  And that is why I really REALLY hope that if we win the toss we don't defer and we take the ****ing ball first and just run it down their throats.  Please PRETTY PLEASE Jay do NOT defer if you win the toss!

Amusing column I think from Thom Loverro

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/29/loverro-loss-sunday-unthinkable-and-unforgivable/

Cruz said he “thinks” they are buying in. “We’re going into the game knowing or thinking that we’re all going to play and going in with that mindset and going in with the mindset of defeating a division rivalry and taking it from there,” he said. “I don’t think, you know, at least he [Ben McAdoo] doesn’t want to put it in our heads that, you know, someone is not going to play or whatever the case may be because you just want to keep everybody mentally into the game and making sure that we’re coming in all everything all guns blazing and take it from there.”

His mind must have been elsewhere when Cruz told the Daily News about his team’s Super Bowl plans.

“They (New England Patriots) don’t want to see us,” Cruz said. “I’m sure they don’t want to see us …. for it to be round three, us and them in another epic Super Bowl showdown, it’d be for all the marbles. The third time is when, I mean, they’ll have a lot riding on it, we will have a lot riding on it. It’ll just be one of those moments you (couldn’t) forget.”

First, though, there are the Washington Redskins (8-6-1) on Sunday. Except that’s not first. It’s nothing, meaningless. Whatever happens Sunday will have zero impact on Victor Cruz’s vision of a Giants-Patriots Super Bowl rematch.

43 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Personally I really wished that the Giants were playing their guys.

I just want the Redskins to get into the playoffs.

For me, I don't care what the Giants do. They can play their starters, their back-ups, the can play their cheerleaders if they want to. We can't control that.

Just as long as the Redskins show up ready to play.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

There's a reason we're 8 point favorites and it isn't because we're a much better team.

If the giants needed this win to get into the playoffs we'd be 2 point favorites at best so there's no doubt in my mind the giants will be resting starters throughout the game.

We just have to make damn sure they don't get a huge early lead and as long as we do that we should be fine.

It's intuitive that any team in the Giants situation rests their starters hence that Vegas assumption.  

But I'll give McAdoo this if that's his intention he's doing a good job of fooling some people including their beat reporter on ESPN who says McAdoo is nuts if does play the starters the full game -- in other words, he thinks its possible.   The Giant beat reporters don't at least yet have a beat on what the Giants are going to do.  Some are assuming they will sit guys, others are wondering if McAdoo means what he says.  It's unusual.  Dallas, the Steelers have telegraphed they are sitting starters.  Redskins telegraphed it last year.  If the Giants intend to rest their starters they are unwilling to go public with it.  My gut is they play a half and then sit guys and the gambit behind lets go full blast is that they have every intention of going full blast but just for a half. 

We just gotta show up early. No 3 and out on the first drive. No deferring and letting the Giants get a 9 play 80 yard TD drive. We score early, force a stop early, be physical and hit some people, they'll realize it isn't worth the effort and stop playing hard, and then McAdoo will have no choice but to sit guys.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/12/29/gruden-right-not-to-trust-giants/

“The whole … the starters are going to play,” he said. “I don’t know any other way to do it.”

Maybe McAdoo is going for an Academy Award for Best Actor or perhaps the Giants want revenge after losing 29-27 to the Redskins on Sept. 25 that saved Washington’s season by avoiding an 0-3 start? Is Odell Beckham looking for a rematch with the kicking net? The Giants receivers are awfully quiet about facing Redskins cornerback Josh Norman after chirping like a choir before the first meeting. Maybe it just doesn’t mean enough this time.

Most season finales have everyone trying at the start. Now if one team gets up two touchdowns, then many players just watch the clock and try to avoid an injury. After all, the Giants need to keep some credibility entering the postseason.

Rick Snider has covered Washington sports since 1978. Follow him on Twitter @Snide_Remarks.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

We just gotta show up early. No 3 and out on the first drive. No deferring and letting the Giants get a 9 play 80 yard TD drive. We score early, force a stop early, be physical and hit some people, they'll realize it isn't worth the effort and stop playing hard, and then McAdoo will have no choice but to sit guys.

Yes.... Can we please stop deferring..... That's what you do if you have a good defense.  Yeah its nice getting the ball at the half but its really demoralizing watching the other team march right down the field on us a score.  

I personally doubt the Giants will play any meaningful player who's on the mend. They'll want to rest up any injured players. I don't expect eli and all the first teamers to play the full game, either. McAdoo will play it safe and not risk his big name guys on a meaningless (mostly) game.

That being said, if they do play their starters throughout, then ****ing bring it. If we can't beat a division rival that's been struggling as of late, on the last game of the regular season, in our house, with our playoff fate on the line, then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

14 hours ago, VeroViper said:

Perhaps my memory is failing me but I thought Rypien fumbled the snap into the muddy turf. Correction. I just looked it up. Rypien didn't fumble the snap but he is the one that botched the handoff. And Mitchell did state that he had a gaping hole and could have possibly scored a TD. 

You're both right...it was a bad exchange between Rypien and Mitchell. I think we were in 49er territory and I'm pretty sure the gaping hole that had opened up would have resulted in a run to put us into the red zone. Instead, they went down and kicked a FG then held on to win. Frustrating game...but Rome was already burning in 1992 and it's probably easier to stomach that we lose a winnable game in SF than it would have been to go to Dallas and have our doors blown off. 

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

Yes.... Can we please stop deferring..... That's what you do if you have a good defense.  Yeah its nice getting the ball at the half but its really demoralizing watching the other team march right down the field on us a score.  

Starting to feel like Jay would defer if a tornado was barreling down on him.

Archived