Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Signs point to Giants playing starters vs. Redskins

Boss_Hogg

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm sanguine either way.

I'd rather we win, but if they beat us fair and square that's okay too. I don't feel like we have the team that can take it all the way. Nevertheless, never turn down a free lottery ticket.

Two days ago I was pretty content with either outcome (especially considering we are certain to finish above .500 for the second straight year). I agreed with you...we don't really have the complete team to make much noise in the playoffs. Even if we pull some upset in the first round, I don't see us beating Dallas and it would kind of suck to lose to them and watch them go play in the NFC Championship Game. 

Having said all that, why not get in and take our shot?? Unlike last year...maybe we have a team that has a little experience now and is a little more prepared to put it all together and win a post-season game!

Oh, I'd much rather get in. Come game time, I'll be upset if we don't win, but in the cool rationality of the before or the distant objectivity of after... I will be okay with this season either way. I think the only real frustration would happen is if we win and then somehow Detroit and Green Bay tie. If that happens, we should all burn down John Mara's house.

21 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm sanguine either way.

I'd rather we win, but if they beat us fair and square that's okay too. I don't feel like we have the team that can take it all the way. Nevertheless, never turn down a free lottery ticket.

For me I am not even thinking Superbowl or not Superbowl and if its a long ride or not -- I love to enjoy at least for a week the national media talking almost exclusively about the playoff teams -- for a moment in time at least the Redskins are in an exclusive club.   Plus the accomplishment of getting into the playoffs back to back season for the first time since over two decades ago.  i agree we likely aren't built to go all the way -- but for me just being part of the dance even for a little bit is a lot of fun. 

The Giants are going to play this game like any other game.  They aren't going to treat it like a preseason game and pull guys early in the game.  Keep dreaming.  If guys are truly banged up I can see the Giants being cautious but they aren't going to just rest everybody.  They want to win and knock us out. 

Just now, -JB- said:

The Giants are going to play this game like any other game.  They aren't going to treat it like a preseason game and pull guys early in the game.  Keep dreaming.  If guys are truly banged up I can see the Giants being cautious but they aren't going to just rest everybody.  They want to win and knock us out. 

That's the vibe they are giving.  Most of the reporters who cover the team seem to think this approach is nuts -- wasting an opportunity to basically have a bye week to rest, avoid key injuries, etc.  If the Giants do go full throttle and suffer key injuries -- the NY media will have fun killing them but more importantly it would be ironic if it contributes to them losing in the first round.

9 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It usually depends on the coach and/or how the game is going.

If the Redskins are out there, Sunday evening, smacking Eil Manning around, will he keep him in?

One of the last things any head coach wants to do is stand before the press, answering questions about why his starting QB got injured in the 4th quarter of a game that means nothing to them and what was he doing out there.

That goes for star players like Beckham jr., too.

The Giant HC is talking big now about seeing the game through with the starters, but we will see how he feels this Sunday when the bullets start flying.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's the vibe they are giving.  Most of the reporters who cover the team seem to think this approach is nuts -- wasting an opportunity to basically have a bye week to rest, avoid key injuries, etc.  If the Giants do go full throttle and suffer key injuries -- the NY media will have fun killing them but more importantly it would be ironic if it contributes to them losing in the first round.

If Eli is getting beat up and Giants losing I could see them pulling him or if ODB jams his hand up.  But, this is football, I don't see them just laying down Vs Skins.  If they are winning , I could see them sticking with guys and sticking a fork in the Skins.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What would the NY media do if he treats it like a preseason game, takes the loss, loses momentum, and comes out rusty in their first playoff game? 

I think McAdoo is taking the right approach here. You play to win the game.

If I'm Gruden, then I'm telling my team to expect a slobber knocker. The playoffs have basically started, and Mara's evil empire is looking to knock us out. We better be ready for it.

9 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

It usually depends on the coach and/or how the game is going.

If the Redskins are out there, Sunday evening, smacking Eil Manning around, will he keep him in?

One of the last things any head coach wants to do is stand before the press, answering questions about why his starting QB got injured in the 4th quarter of a game that means nothing to them and what was he doing out there.

That goes for star players like Beckham jr., too.

The Giant HC is talking big now about seeing the game through with the starters, but we will see how he feels this Sunday when the bullets start flying.

This is a playoff game for us but not for them. Not like when we played Dallas last year. That must be in the back of his head how hard we will be playing (hopefully!!)

14 minutes ago, s0crates said:

What would the NY media do if he treats it like a preseason game, takes the loss, loses momentum, and comes out rusty in their first playoff game? 

I think McAdoo is taking the right approach here. You play to win the game.

If I'm Gruden, then I'm telling my team to expect a slobber knocker. The playoffs have basically started, and Mara's evil empire is looking to knock us out. We better be ready for it.

I was paying attention to the NY press right after the Giants clinched.  Most of the NY media took a position on this BEFORE McAdoo took his position.  So if they attacked McAdoo for doing exactly what they suggested, it would be hypocritical and strange.   Many teams --including the Redskins -- I was at the Redskins-Dallas game at the end of last season -- disagree with the notion of going full throttle playing the starters in this context.  Winning the game is a different story -- it looked like Jay enjoyed Colt and company beating Dallas last season but he didn't risk injury for many of our players in the process of doing it.

Having said that I think its possibly the Giants won't play their starters for the full game.  The idea of them starting is one thing, playing the whole game is something else.  Will see.  Steelers are sitting Big Ben, A. Brown and L. Bell.

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think the area we might see the Giants rest players is on defense. No one on offense is all that banged up, but they do have some players nursing injuries on defense. 

Yeah that's what their ESPN reporter alluded to.  The irony is there is a lot of emphasis on getting their offense going and in a groove -- Giants watch film obviously, they know this is a good defense to get right against.

Just now, justice98 said:

Punching good teams in the mouth on the road isn't really our forte though.

More likely, we'll be white knuckling it in the first half.

Gruden will defer like a dope and Eli will march 'em down the field for 6 right outta the gate.  Then we'll outscore them 24-10 the rest of the game.  That's how I see this going.

best post on the thread

They would be dumb to play their starters. Maybe a series but I doubt it. Giant fans would string up B Mac if OBJ or puss Eli the prayer stubbed a toe.

I thought it'd be interesting to contrast McAdoo's statements with what Jay said leading up to the game against the Cowboys last year when we had nothing to play for, as well. I wanted to see if Jay was saying something similar to McAdoo or not, because then I'd likely assume it'd mean less seeing as how we pulled starters after the half. So here it is: 

From Jay's first presser on Dec. 30th, 2015: 

On if he will play his starters in Dallas or let them rest:

“Right now, we have the intent of playing our guys that are going to be healthy. That’s the intent. This injury report here going into tomorrow, we’ll see how many of these guys will be out, but like I’ve said before, there are only seven guys we can keep inactive and this will have a major impact who will be inactive and who won’t. We’re preparing to play the Dallas Cowboys and try to win the football game with the healthy bodies that we have.”

On evaluating which players will play:

“Yeah, I mean, we’ll have to play it by ear and see who’s up and the situation. I think… there are a couple different ways to look at this and that’s something we’re going to have talk about as a staff and as an organization. It’s important for us to be healthy come playoff time but it is also to have some kind of momentum also going in. I’d like to end on a four-game winning streak, win three games in a row on the road, finish the fourth quarter 4-0, finish 9-7. I think it’s a hell of a step in the right direction. The guys that are able to play are planning on playing and competing.”

On if he has discussed resting starters with other coaches or if he has a good feel for it already:

“Yeah, I have a good feel for it, so we just have to make that determination. Like I’ve said, number one, it’s the health of our football team with these injured guys who are legitimately injured and can’t play. And then, from there, we’ll have to figure out the able bodies that we have — personnel groupings will be adjusted — and then throughout the course of the game, we’ll make adjustments depending on the situation.”

From Jay's second presser the next day: 

On balancing keeping players healthy with giving them opportunities to break individual records:

“That’s quite an interesting dilemma, quite honestly, and that’s something we’ll have to decide on come game day — how we’re going to approach that. Right now, we’re approaching it, if they’re dressed they’re playing. Kirk is getting ready to start the football game. Jordan Reed is getting ready. All our guys are starting. They’re getting ready to play the game and then how I substitute throughout the course of the game will be dependent on how we’re doing health-wise and the situation of the game. Those guys put in a lot of good work. I think those records do mean something to them. They mean something to the entire offense, the entire team quite frankly. So, hopefully, they’ll have a chance to get it, but if not, it won’t be the end of the world. It won’t be a disappointment but I think it’ll be exciting if they do.”

From Jay's third presser the next day after that: 

On if the lack of playoff implications affects how the staff would game plan for a normal week:

“Not really. We’re trying to game plan for the Cowboys. This is another week where you’re game planning against an opponent. You have these subtle changes to running game or your pass game or pass concepts. It’s good for everybody just to go at it with that frame of mind and understand that we have to get ourselves mentally ready to play every week. Everybody is getting ready to play but we’re not going to go out there and run one formation and one play because it doesn’t mean anything. We’re going to try to score — running and throwing — different types of runs, different personnel groupings, play actions. We’re going to do a lot of stuff that we’ve normally done. I’m not concerned about showing our next opponent too much. Like I said the other day, we have 15 games of tape, four preseason games that they can study.”

So... interesting. Seems like Jay was pretty transparent about it, overall. Doesn't necessarily mean that McAdoo is being transparent right now, I don't know his style and every coach deals with pressers differently. 

I agree with Tom that the Giants likely play their starters for a half. 

I also appreciate the sentiments about the limited postseason expectations for the team, largely due to the struggles on defense. But this is the first time in a while  we"ll possibly come into the postseason with the most important starting position healthy and firing on all cylinders. Brunel and RG3 were both gimpy and CollIns, as solid of a performance as he gave in 07, was always a backup.

I hear the "future will still be bright" talk, but I will be downright pissed if we lose this particular game to where It would ruin the season for me.

Archived