Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis and Mitchell put the Redskins on blast

crabbypatty

23 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I'd take some starting caliber ILB's and D-Lineman that bake cookies for the opposing team over what we have. 

:)

jk. I think we all know what they're trying to say. 

Got something against cookie bakers?

Me thinks cousins boyish looks makes people think we aren't led by a tough guy. Now I'm angry about the loss as well but credit where it's due, fix the defense and replace the coach and will resolve itself. Continue down the rabbit hole of doing nothing there and you can hang your hat on us beating the bad teams and losing to the good ones.

Anyone still believing that idiot coach needs new players to be good needs to get a clue, good coaches raise the play of the players. Or continue to believe that a guy who's never finished better then 25th ranking for defenses he's led is somehow a good coach and make your excuses that are illogical and believe in insanity while we spin our wheels going nowhere fast

The team played flat Monday night and a natural reaction to that is to say guys aren't tough enough.

The statements are over the top though after a bad loss when the team needed to win for postseason. Really this team has a winning record and has done well despite having a trash defense nobody in the league respects, IMO because our DC is awful.

To me, the question of successful players getting their success from talent or passion is a chicken-or-the-egg question. Did they become more openly passionate because they proved themselves through success, or did they become successful because they had the passion all along?

I generally lean towards 'passion growing through success'. People were throwing around names like London Fletcher, Tom Brady, Garcon, Ryan Clark, etc. I'd argue that once they proved themselves, they became comfortable with the role of being a leader. Was Tom Brady such a passionate player when he made his first start after Bledsoe's injury? Was London Fletcher such an emotional leader when he made his first start? I'm not entirely sure, but I doubt it. If anyone wants to correct me, go ahead, but I expect it came AFTER they achieved their status.

Now I know I'm wading into dangerous territory here, but I'm going to even mention RG3. (I hear the groaning.) Before his benching, he still had an attitude of some sort or another. I'd say that attitude came from winning the Heisman, winning Rookie of the Year. His passion fell flat when the going really got rough, and now he is where he is.

The point that I'm trying to make is that passion is grown through success, which is aided by their own talent. They have to taste success to want it, to demand it from themselves and others. Do you think anyone would take a lesson in passion from a UDFA like Robert Kelley, or someone else that's sitting on the bench? No way. Not all successful players are going to be passionate and fiery leaders, but I do think that all passionate and fiery leaders have to prove themselves before they become leader. And what we have, is people that haven't proven that they are successful, who haven't proven that they're ready to step up for the rest of the team. Give us more talented players, get us more continued success, and that passion will come out when they learn how great it tastes to win.

There's no reason to question toughness. 

Discipline, mental preparedness, athletic ability, sure..  toughness, i don't see it.

the Redskins defense are soft due to scheme, but i don't doubt the players try. i don't think we have any weenies out there.

And certainly not on the offensive side. Very tough group, in my opinion. 

~Bang

Well, when you think about it, its kinda hard for someone to get on another because they screwed up, because pretty much EVERYONE screws up at least once during the game, so its the pot calling the kettle black in a way.

But I get what they're saying. Its not about playing dirty or acting like an asshole, but intimidation. Most every team has an intimidating player or 2 on their team. They cause opponents to alter their game plan to try and neutralize that player. Cam chancellor and Marshawn Lynch come to mind. 2 players who are physical, and don't appear to be someone you'd want to meet in a dark alley.

They cause opponents to really game plan and rack their brains to try and find a way to work around them.

Toughness is lacking on this team; durability issues, and no one on defense scares anybody.  Even Norman, who is a damn good player, but he's not looked at as a hard hitting guy who is in on a lot of plays. Hec, some of the guys out there probably don't know which direction they should run if they got a turnover!  And I'm serious.

You can look no further than Barry; he's not that type of coach. He can't even recognize whats going on out there much less scheme a way to try and slow it down. surely ALL of the defensive players can't be dumb, but if you're not put in a position to win your individual battle, you've already lost. Hard to get fired up about that.

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

There are a few players on our team that have a "you are not going to beat me" personality.  They don't want to lose their individual matchup on any play.  I would say that's Williams, Jackson, Garcon, and Scherff. 

Maybe you just mean on the offense but I'm not sure a player wants to lose their individual matchup less than Josh Norman.

I can't say Jackson fits the bill either.  This dude has been preserving his body all season avoiding contact.  If he knows the play is designed for him, then yes - he balls out.  But I can tell we are going to run the ball just by observing him pre snap.  The guy can do unbelievable things but Kirk wasn't lying about him being elite when he WANTS to be elite.  

Hard hitting, not helping guys up, celebrating with teammates consistently after good plays (especially on defense), rallying guys together on the sideline during difficult stretches in a game, consistent energy throughout a game, willingness to do the "dirty work" each play...

These kind of things is what I interpret some of the former players are talking about. We can't see how they prepare (coaches and players) in practice, meetings... so we are left to judge what we see during games. 

I don't t disagree that talent is vital, but so are things listed above. 

9 hours ago, skins island connection said:

But I get what they're saying. Its not about playing dirty or acting like an asshole, but intimidation.

yes...helping up the dude you just knocked the **** out of can be intimidating...lol knock the wedge of turf off his face mask....put his shirt bACK OVER his shoulder pads..point him in the direction of his huddle like pointing a boxer back to his corner....also, always smiling can be unnerving 

Some of the comments in this thread are as silly as the comments that started it. 

BMitch was for sure a tough player. He was a special teams ace and a fine back up RB. But all of his fire and screaming did absolutely NOTHING to reverse our fortunes when we had bad/flawed roster/staff from 93-98. I respected and liked him as a player, but as a media member he has been bitter and annoying and relies almost completely on his "guys were tougher in my day, now get off my lawn" shtick. It's lazy and tired analysis. Doc has been blabbering about the same general "pop them in the mouth" stuff for years, albeit seemingly with slightly more good humor. 

As for CP, well he's just kind of a clown. Again, a likable guy and certainly a guy that ran (and blocked) hard but as others have stated I don't much of anything he says seriously, 

Cooley hints and speaks more broadly about this stuff from time to time but for the most part he keeps his analysis more film and football based so I find myself enjoying his commentary for the most part.

In general most ex players say the same stuff---guys were tougher/nastier back in the day (whenever their "day" was) and it's all mostly nonsense and an excuse to not truly analyze what's going on. 

How come no one has mentioned Martrell Spaight or Will Compton in this thread? There are two guys who wear their emotions on their sleeve--two guys who are visibly into the games--especially Spaight. Why do we only hear about Norman, Williams, and Garçon? Oh, is it because the latter are good and the former really aren't? No one is saying we need more Martrell Spaight's out there are they? 

i would also cringe when BMitch would show his fire, because he gave 15 yards back to the ref after his return often enough.. get up jawing and lost all he worked for.

Fire is fine. Dumb isn't. But, no shade on BMitch.. the man played the game the way it should be..  just needed to be careful after the whistle sometimes.

~Bang

3 hours ago, kleese said:

Some of the comments in this thread are as silly as the comments that started it. 

Edit

How come no one has mentioned Martrell Spaight or Will Compton in this thread? There are two guys who wear their emotions on their sleeve--two guys who are visibly into the games--especially Spaight. Why do we only hear about Norman, Williams, and Garçon? Oh, is it because the latter are good and the former really aren't? No one is saying we need more Martrell Spaight's out there are they? 

I get what you are saying and agree to certain extent. But the team got handled Monday night. Carolina was just tougher. Other teams we have lost to had a distinct talent advantage. I can handle that since the team is still rebuilding what was a disaster of a roster.

However, at least on Monday, many players appeared over matched in effort. That's not something I have seen much of before then. The thing that has kept me thinking Jay is the guy is that the team has always fought to the very last second. But not Monday. They got punched in the mouth and did virtually nothing to get back in the game - especially on Off.

I agree the constant - they are just not tough enough mantra is a bit tired. But for Monday night they were more right than they normally are. It was clear Carolina wanted it more. They were making plays. Our guys looked like they were waiting for someone else to do something.

4 hours ago, kleese said:

I didn't hear the show where BMitch and CP complained, but I think there is a point in all this: On Monday night the Redskins appeared to be flat-footed and less emotionally involved in the game than they have appeared in other games this season. They looked like they weren't ready to play football. Not that they weren't ready for the Panthers, or that they hadn't learned their assignments, but that they hadn't prepared to go out on the field and play. Almost like someone came by and interrupted their video game marathon and they begrudgingly put down the controllers and put on the pads.

This has nothing to do with showing emotion and everything to do with focus on the task at hand. They didn't appear focused to me. You might disagree, but that's what I saw. And that may be what BMitch and CP are mis-articulating.

I'm just hoping they can be focused against the Bears.

Archived