Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

Obviously, I'd feel better had we won and I was definitely frustrated yesterday in the first half when I thought we went WAY too conservative and left far too many opportunities on the field. That said, woke up today with a very strange/foreign feeling-- honestly it's a feeling I haven't really felt since the Gibbs I days:

We just lost our last game in November and I'm

A. Not Crushed

B. Not Apathetic

Over the past 25 years or so around this time of year a loss would almost always result in one of the two above feelings. Either we would have been clinging to playoff life and suffered a crushing loss or we'd already be pretty much out of it and a loss would just sort of cement the apathy.

It's amazing how LITTLE this loss bothered me. I was invested in the game itself and of course disappointed we lost and no doubt would have been on cloud 9 had we won-- but it's less than 24 hours later and I am 100% over this loss already.

The Redskins are good. I am very comfortable saying that. At WORST they are above average with an up arrow, but I am now comfortable saying they are actually "good." Not great by any means. Not as good as Dallas currently. Not as good as Seattle or New England. We have holes and flaws that need to be addressed. But we are good. I don't expect a 5-0 finish, but I don't expect a collapse either.

Now our "path" this year is clear. Any hopes of repeating as East champs are out the window. Dallas appears headed to a 13-3/14-2 type of season and hats off to them for that. They've drafted well the past several years and got some good fortune with Dak and the Romo injury as well. I'm not worried about them. Maybe we will see them again this year and if not, I think with a few tweaks would could be right with them next year. For now, we are focused on the 5 or 6 seed and really which one doesn't matter. It's all about just getting in now. If we win 3 of our last 5, I think that will do it. So that's why I'm not down about this loss-- had you told me we'd win 2 of 3 vs Minn/GB/Dal I would have said that's perfect-- and that's exactly what we did. We are now in positon to earn a wild card without having to go bananas down the stretch to do it.

The team isn't old. It isn't capped-strapped. Where we are good-- we are REALLY good (and deep too). We have played the last three games without arguably the best LT in the NFL and our offense hasn't missed a beat. Now when we draft in the middle rounds or pick up undrafted guys, we are talking about how terrible they are. Almost EVERYTHING has changed. It feels really good.

I'm seething mad because they had the opportunity to win both games against Dallas and they squandered them because they were stupid.  Before the furious rally in the 4th quarter, they had 4 trips into the red zone yesterday, and 6 (6!) freaking points.  That's abysmal. 

Every time the defense got a stop, the offense did nothing.  And every time the offense scored, the defense gave up a corresponding score.  That's abysmal.

The opening drive of the game, Dallas didn't even have to face a 3rd down to walk right down the field and score.  That was some of the worst defense I've seen this year.  Joe Barry is a mental midget, but because he coached on those awesome TB Bucs teams with Allen and Gruden, his job is safe. 

They missed 2 FGs, and I'm going to say both because of stupidity.  1. because they couldn't get lined up correctly, and iced their own kicker, and the second because they asked their guy to kick a 55 when he couldn't see where he was aiming.  Stupid.  Stupid. Stupid. 

Gruden made a few baffling calls to go for 2 when he didn't need to.

I understand the onside kick, but that was questionable.

They beat Dallas in EVERY statistical category except for 2: red zone and POINTS. 

For that I'm seething.

Is there the "yeah, well at least they're competitive, and the arrow is pointing up" thing? Sure.  Is that helping my mood today?  Not one little bit. 

I feel bi polar. Giddy at the offensive potential. Suicidal about the defensive execution. This is one of those games where I think the scoreboard lied a bit. Offensively, we were in this game. Defensively, not at all. If Dallas need to it could have scored a whole bunch more. They strolled through our D on several drives. They put up no visible resistance hardly.

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm seething mad because they had the opportunity to win both games against Dallas and they squandered them because they were stupid.  Before the furious rally in the 4th quarter, they had 4 trips into the red zone yesterday, and 6 (6!) freaking points.  That's abysmal. 

Every time the defense got a stop, the offense did nothing.  And every time the offense scored, the defense gave up a corresponding score.  That's abysmal.

The opening drive of the game, Dallas didn't even have to face a 3rd down to walk right down the field and score.  That was some of the worst defense I've seen this year.  Joe Barry is a mental midget, but because he coached on those awesome TB Bucs teams with Allen and Gruden, his job is safe. 

They missed 2 FGs, and I'm going to say both because of stupidity.  1. because they couldn't get lined up correctly, and iced their own kicker, and the second because they asked their guy to kick a 55 when he couldn't see where he was aiming.  Stupid.  Stupid. Stupid. 

Gruden made a few baffling calls to go for 2 when he didn't need to.

I understand the onside kick, but that was questionable.

They beat Dallas in EVERY statistical category except for 2: red zone and POINTS. 

For that I'm seething.

Is there the "yeah, well at least they're competitive, and the arrow is pointing up" thing? Sure.  Is that helping my mood today?  Not one little bit. 

I've read this exact same post from you on another game before. Wow did u just copy and paste and just changed the names to Dallas or something?  Lol

I am right there with Klesse. I think this game and this season on how mad or happy you are is all about age. With yesterday being Thanksgiving, we watched the game as a a whole family which doesnt happen very often. And there is really 2 different views. People that took part in the glory years. and people like my self or younger. I was 6 for the 91 super bowl. I dont remember the season, just bits and pieces of the super bowl. My cousin is the same way. And my dad and his brother (my Uncle) remember the glory years like it was yesterday. The older generation is mad becasue we have had crappy football for 25 years, with a few seasons in there that have been good. My generation has grown up in this crappy football and it is just nice to see that every game, we have a chance to win and see the growth in the team. And Scott working in the back ground. Older generation got to used to not if we were going to win but by how much. My generation not if we were going to lose but by how much. And just to have every game come down to the 4th quarter. It is just awesome, I feel like we are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. 

I'm not crushed long term, but the short term absolutely blows.  Go figure we finally get our act together as an organization and now all the sudden Dallas is unstoppable.  Basically overnight they go from inept and an all around joke to world beaters...and we have to keep hearing their praises and their ****ball fans are louder than ever before.  In that respect, I am crushed.  Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by these douchebags everywhere I go that it sucks that much worse to lose to them.  Next Sunday can't come soon enough.

I'm with you! We know we are a flawed team (championship-caliber passing game with a suspect defense) so the way yesterday played out wasn't surprising. This team is surging and knocking on the door. I'm very excited to watch them continue to gel. There isn't one game of the five we have left that I'm not excited about...not nervous, but excited to see what we do. 

The path to winning this game was being efficient when we had scoring chances. We didn't do that. In the first half, we came up empty once and settled for FGs twice. If we score one TD and make our FG we are within a score going into halftime (17-13) and getting the ball. I'm not counting the missed 55-yarder against us as that's a tough kick. I just don't know what else we could have expected from our defense yesterday unless the Cowboys were ready to self-destruct. So, in some ways, once we were playing from behind it was going to be a tough task. 

This game really did play out similarly to the 2007 game (which is the one I compared it to in the other thread). We exchanged FGs for TDs but stuck around and played a very good Cowboy team pretty closely. 

I can't wait to see how we do in Arizona...a win there essentially erases this loss and gives us every opportunity to for a second straight playoff berth. Even a loss, though disappointing, would keep us only 0.5 game back with 4 to play. Just having an established offense and playing in a second straight competitive season is exhilarating for me!

Good call Kleese..  I am right there with you. I am more upset that the Cowboys look to have the foundations to be this good for a long time, but we knew that going in. Prescott is unflappable.. all credit to the Kid.

We obviously have some needs to address, but we also knew that going in, and Dallas is built to exploit where we have problems. 

mostly what upsets me is the giants get Cleveland this weekend, which will compound our loss in the wild card race.

But, anything is possible, i guess, so in that light, GO BROWNS!

~Bang 

I could not AGREE with you more.  Thankfully the Lions found a way to win over the Vikings so nothing changes in terms of the playoff plcture.  The Redskins still hold a spot and control their destiny.  The offense looked incredible and the Cowboys QB, DAK is legit.  He's a very, very good QB and that is a very very strong team.  The Redskins were able to hang in there despite drives stalling inside the 20 and missed field goals.  Speaking of QBs.. Cousins needs to get locked up forever.  The man can play with anyone.  I feel great about this team and the direction the Redskins are headed whether they sneak into the playoffs or not. They are a very good football team and I'm excited.

When was the last time you felt GOOD after a loss?  I'm not saying that to make myself feel better after Dallas just won and cemented the division (barring something crazy happening).  The Redskins really are coming into their own.  Once the defensive issues are addressed and some tweaks along the offensive line I think the Redskins are going to be challengers for the next several years.  

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Go figure we finally get our act together as an organization and now all the sudden Dallas is unstoppable.  Basically overnight they go from inept and an all around joke to world beaters...and we have to keep hearing their praises and their ****ball fans are louder than ever before.  In that respect, I am crushed.  

Their ascension this year is annoying, but let's see how it ends and how they sustain it before worrying too much about them being world beaters. Teams have great years - but it doesn't always translate into sustained success. They have done an excellent job building a young team, but this formula might also run out. Look at the Panthers. 

Also, assuming we can catch up to them a bit more as we head into 2017, it would be a fun time if both the Cowboys and Redskins are in the top group of NFC contenders. 

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

But, anything is possible, i guess, so in that light, GO BROWNS!

~Bang 

Go Falcons! Go Browns! Go Seahawks! Go Raiders! Go Pack! 

Catching the Giants would be cool...but I just want a playoff spot. I don't care much about the seeding and would just love a shot at some of the division champs. First and foremost, for the first time since I was in college (I'm now 39) I have a legitimate reason to scoreboard watch and care in December for back-to-back seasons!

This loss didn't bother me like most losses do, Dallas is a better team but regardless of what you hear in the media we made them work for it.  They had to keep scoring or they lose that game.

It hurts that our offense never had 1 chance to tie or take the lead in the 2nd half, embarrassing for the defense.

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Good teams find ways to win games and bad times find ways to lose.

we got swept by our rivals who also happen to be youngerÙ‹, in better shape for the long run and more talented than us.

No I don't feel good about this at all.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Sometimes incomplete teams don't match up with a better team and can't win. We have an offense that could win the NFC right now but a defense that is probably bottom-five in the league. That won't change in-season and will take time. The good news is that we're growing together and playing well. We have a young group of great players, so the window is open for a few years. 

Keep in mind, Dallas was bad last year but this is the same foundation that should have been playing in the NFC Championship game the year before. They started their proper rebuild a few years ago and it's paying off. They would be doing this (or very close to this) with Romo. They were 12-4 (I think) in 2014 and only fell back to earth last year because I'm better than any QB they had on the roster after Romo got injured. 

Just now, jschuck12001 said:

This loss didn't bother me like most losses do, Dallas is a better team but regardless of what you hear in the media we made them work for it.  They had to keep scoring or they lose that game.

It hurts that our offense never had 1 chance to tie or take the lead in the game, embarrassing for the defense.

Eh - the offense had a few chances to do both in the first half. We knew coming into the game that we needed to keep pace with the Cowboys. If the O started quickly and didn't get behind 10-3 and 17-3, I think we would have seen a different second half. I would have loved a stop in the second half as well, but I didn't truly believe we had the horses on D to do that. Not against a team that can afford to play VERY safe and just inch their way down the field. 

49 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I've read this exact same post from you on another game before. Wow did u just copy and paste and just changed the names to Dallas or something?  Lol

I don't actually remember writing this post before.  I do get extremely irritated when the team does everything they need to do to win the game, then finds ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Given how specific that post was to this game, I'm pretty sure that it's a one time thing.  The other games this season that had me mad were the Cincy game wher they had a 34 yard FG for the win, and couldn't win.  But more importantly, they dominated the first half and then were essentially tied at the half, allowing Cincy back into the game.  Same with Detroit.

56 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I feel bi polar. Giddy at the offensive potential. Suicidal about the defensive execution. This is one of those games where I think the scoreboard lied a bit. Offensively, we were in this game. Defensively, not at all. If Dallas need to it could have scored a whole bunch more. They strolled through our D on several drives. They put up no visible resistance hardly.

I can't be giddy about an offense that couldn't find the end zone in 4 trips in the first half.  I don't blame the offense for the 2 missed FGs, but at least 2 of those drives should have been TDs.  You need to convert at about 50% TD rate to be competitive.  Last I checked, average was 49% or something like that.  Be average, don't be ridiculously bad at 0%. 

Thrilled they finally got it together.  If they had it together in the first half, then it's an entirely different ballgame. 

44 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not crushed long term, but the short term absolutely blows.  Go figure we finally get our act together as an organization and now all the sudden Dallas is unstoppable.  Basically overnight they go from inept and an all around joke to world beaters...and we have to keep hearing their praises and their ****ball fans are louder than ever before.  In that respect, I am crushed.  Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by these douchebags everywhere I go that it sucks that much worse to lose to them.  Next Sunday can't come soon enough.

They're not unstopable.  We could have and should have beaten them yesterday.  If you get up on them early, or stay even, you can force their hand.  We allowed them to do anything they wanted by being remarkably stupid. 

Next year, if they can figure out a few things defensively, and in the red-zone, the 'Skins should be favored. 

** Figuring a few things out defensively would start by sending Joe Barry back to wherever he came from.  This won't happen.  So we're going to have to live with an incompetent moron as a DC as long as Allen is here. 

I think it's worth pointing our the NFL scheduling really favored Dallas in both games (not surprised). We had a short week the first game after playing on MNF and a short week plus travel after a SNF game for the 2nd game. Yes, we had our chances both games and did not take advantage but the setting for each game really favored Dallas.

I'm thrilled to be 6-4-1 at this point given we started 0-2. I'll be rooting for Atlanta and Seattle this weekend to help keep us in solid playoff position.

HTTR

Archived