Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I know, but at least our D did their part by forcing one more stop than them.

Sure, technically one more stop, but it's a very narrow way of looking at it. Check out red zone efficiency. They were 4-4 and we were 2-5. 

Cool little shout out on Peter King's Monday column: 

1. I think these are my quick notes of analysis of Week 12:

a. Dallas is the best team in the NFC, but the potential five or six seed with the best shot of running the table in the postseason looks like explosive Washington.

I know that King is a big fan of Cousins (join the club) so it's not shocking. It's just nice to get some recognition for a team that's been pretty stable and exciting over the past 20ish games. 

The Cowboys game is over, so it's time to move on.  A highly successful 2016 is still within the team's grasp.  If the offense begins to capitalize on its many red zone opportunities and the defense puts up the slightest opposition consistently, this team could win the SB this year.

On the other hand, if they don't do either, they could lose all five of their games and obviously miss the playoffs.  To be honest, I put their chances of making the playoffs at 50/50 because I honestly don't know what the Redskins are going to do from one game to the next.  I do know the games will be nerve-wrecking and close.  

A win against Arizona, however, would put me in a more confident state of mind.

Man I don't know how you guys feel but I feel depressed.  We had them all the way and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.  To waste a masterful performance by Cousins and the offense this way its...well depressing.  I want us to make it into the playoffs and I want us to play them again.  Until then I will still be depressed.

11 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Man I don't know how you guys feel but I feel depressed.  We had them all the way and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.  To waste a masterful performance by Cousins and the offense this way its...well depressing.  I want us to make it into the playoffs and I want us to play them again.  Until then I will still be depressed.

I am not depressed. They are better than we are, and I can accept that. I'd be depressed if I felt we had NO chance to beat them if we played again or if I felt they were set up significantly better for future success than we are, but I don't. I am fine with where we are right now and very excited about where we can go. I have been depressed enough with this team for 25 years and now is not the time for that from where I sit.

While we had our chances for sure, at no point on Thanksgiving were we in control or "had them beat" or anything like that. The game COULD have swung differently had we been more opportunistic in the first half and had we cashed in for more than 6 points. That was highly frustrating and made it really difficult to then go and win the game in the second half. We needed to be within at least one score at the half and we did blow that chance.

But that doesn't mean we would have won. You can't assume the second half plays out exactly the way it did if it's 17-17 or 17-13 at the half. The entire game could have gone differently. Both teams likely would have played things differently.

Our defense isn't ready yet to stop a juggernaut offense-- and that's what Dallas has. Maybe they do it in a bit of slow-bleed manner, but that offense is nasty. Dak is insanely accurate-- some of those third down throws were just unreal. And their OL/RB combo is the best in the league-- big time WR, HOF TE, decent slot guy. Their offense is stacked. Our defense can't keep up. Not yet. Our hope is to do what we did in the fourth quarter and unload our offense on them and try to outscore them-- if we play them again, I think we have the potential to do that-- but the O has to be flawless for four quarters.

21 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

I'm not depressed.  I'm MAD.  Dallas is who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook. 

I'm with Kleese...the 5-point margin makes the Thanksgiving game look a little closer than it ever really felt. As he mentioned, it would have been nice to see how Dallas would have reacted to us applying pressure by scoring. But, at no point this season has they shown that they would blink. 

So, yes, it's nice to see that even on the road against the best team in the NFC our biggest strength was confirmed and the offense was able to move up and down the field. However, our greatest weaknesses were also exposed and the defense was unable to get stops late in the game and our offense again came up small in scoring position. 

Our team feels like a baseball team that continually sets the table by getting runners at second and third with one out and never cashes in. You are going to lose a lot of games if that becomes a habit. Luckily, so far we've won games because we've either gotten timely stops from our D or had SO MANY chances that we inevitably score enough points. I'd like to get more efficient!

35 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

It's not just that we played them tight, it's that we massively outgained them. Really, I feel like the better team lost both games. These RZ woes are just......incredibly frustrating.

This.  Both games we basically had the game if for a few plays going either way.  Hopkins needs to be better, can't keep missing 40-50 yard FGs.  I will give him that 55.  We need to score in the endzone at the same clip we did last year.  We can't be just missing tackles in the open field, some of our guys on D must make a damn play. 

On 11/28/2016 at 0:34 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm with Kleese...the 5-point margin makes the Thanksgiving game look a little closer than it ever really felt. As he mentioned, it would have been nice to see how Dallas would have reacted to us applying pressure by scoring. But, at no point this season has they shown that they would blink. 

I agree to a certain extent. Once Dallas got the it to a 17-6 score, it definitely felt like they were in the driver's seat for the rest of the game.  They had an answer every time the 'Skins climbed back into it.

However, where I would disagree or at least maybe point out, is that the 'Skins offense was driving up and down the field from the get-go, absent a single drive or two.  The issue is they weren't scoring TD's until the 2nd half, and mainly the 4th quarter.  The Cowboys game(s) aren't the only game we have seen this happen and it has cost them other games as well.  Against lesser teams the 'Skins have found ways to win despite the red zone struggles.  Dallas is too good a team to continue to not score points against and still expect to win, but it's not as if our offense was ever stifled.  Also I didn't realize but the 'Skins actually won the TOP by 7 minutes.  How rare is that for Dallas this season?  Their offense is built on running the clock down and limiting the possessions of other teams. The Thanksgiving loss was another symptom of the 1 flaw in our offense, which is not finishing enough drives with TDs.

Dallas deserves to be 10-1, they are a very solid football team, however if the experts are telling everyone that they are the best that the NFC has to offer, then I do find some solace in the fact that the eyeball test says the 'Skins are not very off from being that good, and that is despite a pretty below-average defense.

I'm still pissed I lost 20 bucks, AGAIN, betting a co-worker Puke-loving fan.

But, I will say, yes there are red zone issues to work out, and hopefully that will get worked out; afterall, they can't score a touchdown on EVERY red zone drive; no team in NFL history has done that. So, its a little strange to keep seeing people harp on it all the time.

Hey, wanna harp on something, harp on Barry's lack of coaching skills; that is, if you have enough time...lol

11 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

But, I will say, yes there are red zone issues to work out, and hopefully that will get worked out; afterall, they can't score a touchdown on EVERY red zone drive; no team in NFL history has done that. So, its a little strange to keep seeing people harp on it all the time.

Hey, wanna harp on something, harp on Barry's lack of coaching skills; that is, if you have enough time...lol

Barry doesn't instill confidence, but I can't tell yet if it's him or the personnel. We have SEVERAL starters on our defense who wouldn't get snaps on a league-average defensive unit. Until that's not the case, it's hard to diagnose if it's the coaching or lack of players. 

We all knew the defense would be spotty this year...it's the red zone production and offense that was supposed to be good. Using that logic, I am going to be harder on our strength when it comes up short rather than harder on our weakness when it performs to expectations. 

16 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

3 -  Rules on Betting

never bet on your team, for or against, your heart gets in the way...never bet preseason...and never bet on Kordell Stewart...

/you'da won if you woulda taken the 5.5 points.

20 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

I would say we just got swept by Dallas and I feel... ok.

Because if we end up the 6th seed in the playoffs and win the first round, we'll see Dallas again when it REALLY counts.

I would really like to see the Skins play them again. They are playing really good right now, Can't take that away from them. But I like the chances on a rematch. Both games the team beat themselves more than anything.

But we have to get past AZ. This and the giants are the 2 toughest games left. We likely just need 3 wins in the last 5 to make the POs but 4 would just about be a lock. Beating AZ would go a long way to getting us where we need to be - not to mention it would show their resolve coming off a loss to the cowboys.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would really like to see the Skins play them again. They are playing really good right now, Can't take that away from them. But I like the chances on a rematch. Both games the team beat themselves more than anything.

But we have to get past AZ. This and the giants are the 2 toughest games left. We likely just need 3 wins in the last 5 to make the POs but 4 would just about be a lock. Beating AZ would go a long way to getting us where we need to be - not to mention it would show their resolve coming off a loss to the cowboys.

I was thinking the same thing with AZ. I look at it as an important game and a boost for the team heading into the next 4. After the loss against Dallas, the team said they would like another crack at 'em. They still feel they're a better team. The bummer I hate about Dallas is the years to come with a good RB (shades of Dorsett and Smith) and a good QB who's $2.7M contract for the next 4 years will rake them in some other good players (draft, FA) while keeping solid with their cap. Already, I hate it. SM will have to do a good job in keeping up with this. But thank goodness we have a decent GM now or otherwise I would throw up my hands and say "Forget it."

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

I was thinking the same thing with AZ. I look at it as an important game and a boost for the team heading into the next 4. After the loss against Dallas, the team said they would like another crack at 'em. They still feel they're a better team. The bummer I hate about Dallas is the years to come with a good RB (shades of Dorsett and Smith) and a good QB who's $2.7M contract for the next 4 years will rake them in some other good players (draft, FA) while keeping solid with their cap. Already, I hate it. SM will have to do a good job in keeping up with this. But thank goodness we have a decent GM now or otherwise I would throw up my hands and say "Forget it."

My only hope is that dak is a 1 year wonder. Many QBs have had good starts (we know of at least 1), only to really struggle once DC have an offseason to look at film and figure out what he likes to do and take it away. I have to admit it's more a hope than really thinking that. He does have a great running game to support him. But he makes some really good decisions and seems to be very confident and have a good command of what they want to do offensively. Most of all he does not make mistakes.

Having said that, I do like our chances. It's probably the optimist in me.

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

My only hope is that dak is a 1 year wonder. Many QBs have had good starts (we know of at least 1), only to really struggle once DC have an offseason to look at film and figure out what he likes to do and take it away. I have to admit it's more a hope than really thinking that. He does have a great running game to support him. But he makes some really good decisions and seems to be very confident and have a good command of what they want to do offensively. Most of all he does not make mistakes.

Having said that, I do like our chances. It's probably the optimist in me.

Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing, too. But if he goes all the way this year (which I really doubt), he'll be the 2nd rookie QB in the NFL (1st post SB era) to win it all.

Just got off the phone with my Father who lives in California. He calls me after Redskin victories and usually once during the week. But if the Redskins lose, we don't talk both knowing we need alone time to cool off lol. 

Anyway, I was just telling him how damn good it feels to be watching a team coming together, playing with passion and a style that's unique to us. Not New England, not Seattle, but creating a Washington Redskins one of a kind unique playing style. We're so close to being a SB contender. A great draft and a few moves in FA will get us there. This is such a great ride. One day when it all comes together we'll remember these days when we all saw the movement and the change in the Redskins culture. 

11 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

It's not just that we played them tight, it's that we massively outgained them. Really, I feel like the better team lost both games. These RZ woes are just......incredibly frustrating.

Agreed 110% It's all about this redzone BS(and missed FG's) We out gained them by a large margin, we held Elliot under 100 yds rushing and Prescott under 200 yds passing. It is a game we definitely should have won. We are on the cusp of being an offensive juggernaut. We just have to figure out these red zone issues!!

11 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

3 -  Rules on Betting

never bet on your team, for or against, your heart gets in the way...never bet preseason...and never bet on Kordell Stewart...

/you'da won if you woulda taken the 5.5 points.

I can always blame Prescott or Elliot for playing so well; if Romo had been in there I'm sure at least I'd have broken even.

Funny thing is, I usually NEVER bet on Redskin games, just for that reason. Even against Cleveland or Jacksonville; that's why I gave up scratch-offs.  [ not really, I gotta have something to scratch ]

10 hours ago, RonBurgandy said:

Just got off the phone with my Father who lives in California. He calls me after Redskin victories and usually once during the week. But if the Redskins lose, we don't talk both knowing we need alone time to cool off lol. 

Anyway, I was just telling him how damn good it feels to be watching a team coming together, playing with passion and a style that's unique to us. Not New England, not Seattle, but creating a Washington Redskins one of a kind unique playing style. We're so close to being a SB contender. A great draft and a few moves in FA will get us there. This is such a great ride. One day when it all comes together we'll remember these days when we all saw the movement and the change in the Redskins culture. 

Dak Prescott reading defenses like:

He is the beneficiary of a line that allows him all day to throw the ball and wait for receivers to come wide open. Several analysts have noted he moves through reads very, very slowly. He's a rookie, so I don't expect him to be proficient in it, but he is not as good as looks. Until proven otherwise, I will still call him RGIV.

Archived