Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

1 minute ago, Fight for ole DC said:

I think it's worth pointing our the NFL scheduling really favored Dallas in both games (not surprised). We had a short week the first game after playing on MNF and a short week plus travel after a SNF game for the 2nd game. Yes, we had our chances both games and did not take advantage but the setting for each game really favored Dallas.

I'm thrilled to be 6-4-1 at this point given we started 0-2. I'll be rooting for Atlanta and Seattle this weekend to help keep us in solid playoff position.

HTTR

I'm ready to put this point to bed. Fine, we played 6-7 hours later than Dallas did last Sunday. I'm pretty sick of half our fans and our coach (who I love, BTW) acting like we played on back-to-back days or something. The Sunday-to-Thursday turnaround is tough on teams, I get it. But both teams played on Sunday and had to suit back up on Thursday. I didn't notice anything resembling an advantage during the game. Granted, we had to travel, but that was going to happen no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They missed 2 FGs, and I'm going to say both because of stupidity.  1. because they couldn't get lined up correctly, and iced their own kicker, and the second because they asked their guy to kick a 55 when he couldn't see where he was aiming.  Stupid.  Stupid. Stupid. 

They beat Dallas in EVERY statistical category except for 2: red zone and POINTS. 

That first missed FG Thursday, that was Cincy in overtime all over again, Lewis calls the timeout, Hopkins gets a warmup kick in, NAILS it, and then shanks the follow up kick the next play. Same thing yesterday, he hits the warmup after we call TO and misses the follow up both misses the same way, after nailing the first kicks down the middle he shanks both kicks to the left... The word is probably out on Hopkins, FREEZE him at all costs if the opportunity comes up..

They did dominate us in the rushing category though..

I was angry and upset as the game was ending, but found solace in the overall team's position and outlook pretty quickly, unlike seasons past.

How many times over the last 20 years would a loss in Week 12 still have the 'Skins not just over .500 but at 6-4-1 and in control of their own playoff destiny.  How quickly we forget that the last 4 times this team has made the playoffs (2005/07/12/15) they have had a losing record and had to win out in order to get in....and at this point they didn't know for sure winning out would get them in.   

Also, you have to look at like this.  At 10-1 the Cowboys are the class of the NFC besides the Seahawks (who I actually think are the best NFC team when healthy).  The Redskins arguably were a single better red zone possession away from winning the game, add the fact that they missed 2 Field Goals as well in a game they lost by 5....(ok not going to re-litigate the entire game lol)....the point is, they are consistently competing with the elite teams.  The loss stings because it was the Cowboys, and I think not only does it show that this franchise is a few really good players away from having enough pieces, but it's also the realization that Dallas is a handful of players better than us too, however I'd also suggest that we have the right front office in place too because we are getting the absolute best out of some players who won't  be on this roster in the near future once the positions are upgraded.

25 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm ready to put this point to bed. Fine, we played 6-7 hours later than Dallas did last Sunday. I'm pretty sick of half our fans and our coach (who I love, BTW) acting like we played on back-to-back days or something. The Sunday-to-Thursday turnaround is tough on teams, I get it. But both teams played on Sunday and had to suit back up on Thursday. I didn't notice anything resembling an advantage during the game. Granted, we had to travel, but that was going to happen no matter what. 

You also lose a day due to travel though that is either spent resting or practicing/scheming.  I'd almost say the fact that Dallas always gets Turkey Day at home, a bigger advantage then the short turnaround itself.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That extra 7 hours or whatever is HUGE when you have such a short turnaround, and have to travel on top of everything else.

Normally I'm with you on fans looking for excuses for why their team lost. But in this case, it's 100% valid. We still may very well would have lost. But the NFL did us zero favors, and should be getting more negative press for this than they have.

I am ok with the no excuses sentiment.  But for some context:   when the Cowboys actually did the same thing years back and they had it easier because they were at home, they got destroyed by Philly on Thanksgiving.    

A.  Home team has an advantage over the road team on Thursday.  That's borne out big time statistically.  And that's with a normal Thursday situation.

B.  They played Sunday night and had to play earlier on Thursday than the typical Thursday night game.

C.  For kicks they added to Dallas' time advantage and rest by having them play at home the weekend before.

Even a Dallas reporter who was on 106.7 admitted that Dallas has a big advantage because of this scheduling quirk and thought that alone would give them the needed edge to win.  The scheduling quirk actually became a bit of a national story as the game approached.  

3 hours ago, kleese said:

Almost EVERYTHING has changed. 

Kleese, around the same time you posted this, I sent this to some of my friends in a group chat...

"Hindsight being 20/20... We got the best eye for talent in the league right now. We have an answer at QB. We got 60 million in cap next year (minus what we give Kirk). Already, we're a top 15 team in the league. This year was a bonus year for me and we're still 2.5 games over .500.

Losing sucks, but yesterday, we went to the best team in the league house and we beat ourselves. The future of this season is nice to me... Our future overall? I love it..."

You're not alone in how you feel. Only thing about last night that sucked was getting flamed by Cowboy fans. Other than that, I'm good.

I said it after the GB game, I wouldn't be one bit upset if they drafted 8 defensive players in the draft, increase the chance you hit on a couple.

Frankly, the depth of the O line to me makes it the best overall unit in the league (I don't know Dallas' backups they may be good), the QB is set, the WR/TE corps is set and RB is looking like we may have a real player.

They are the 3rd best team in the NFC and probably top 5 in NFL. We are going up with a bullet and if we land some defensive players in the draft with maybe 1 or 2 FA's in the middle and Dline, forgetaboutit

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Thank you for saying this.  Gruden used this as an excuse too.  But Dallas played on Sunday too.  It's a weak excuse at best.

I believe we will face the Boys in the playoffs and I believe we will win. I agree with Kleese, this loss didn't bother me one bit once it was all over (though I was throwing out some choice profanity during the game). You can just feel it in the air that this team will be good for a long time.

2 hours ago, Tom [Giants fan] said:

Dallas knows better than anyone how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in one season. They don't want to see the Redskins in the playoffs.

If we had a defensive coordinator who showed any aptitude to scheme and take things away from offenses, I'd agree. If we are lucky enough to meet Dallas again in January, the only realistic formula to win is the same one we had coming into Thanksgiving: score. 

2 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

That extra 7 hours or whatever is HUGE when you have such a short turnaround, and have to travel on top of everything else.

Normally I'm with you on fans looking for excuses for why their team lost. But in this case, it's 100% valid. We still may very well would have lost. But the NFL did us zero favors, and should be getting more negative press for this than they have.

A few people have disagreed with me, so I'll just agree to disagree. Maybe I'm wrong, but the "travel" thing seems a bit overblown too. It's not like they had to hike to Dallas. I want to get rid of the travel aspect of the argument anyway...because we were ALWAYS going to have to travel to play them again this year. To me, that's insignificant. 

I'd like to understand from someone why a 7-hour difference was THAT important. Every hour counts when guys are a little beat up, fine. But, does anyone honestly believe they saw signs of a fatigued team? Also, the flip side is that we have extra rest going into a more important game against the Cardinals. 

If we had a defensive coordinator who showed any aptitude to scheme and take things away from offenses, I'd agree. If we are lucky enough to meet Dallas again in January, the only realistic formula to win is the same one we had coming into Thanksgiving: score. 

A few people have disagreed with me, so I'll just agree to disagree. Maybe I'm wrong, but the "travel" thing seems a bit overblown too. It's not like they had to hike to Dallas. I want to get rid of the travel aspect of the argument anyway...because we were ALWAYS going to have to travel to play them again this year. To me, that's insignificant. 

I'd like to understand from someone why a 7-hour difference was THAT important. Every hour counts when guys are a little beat up, fine. But, does anyone honestly believe they saw signs of a fatigued team? Also, the flip side is that we have extra rest going into a more important game against the Cardinals. 

The 7 hour thing is significant for more than just rest. It's about game-planning and overall preparation. This isn't pee wee football, where teams just roll out of bed on Saturday mornings and go at it. There is film to watch. Practice. Walk-thrus. Injuries to heal.  All that, and you're not counting the Wednesday travel day. 

1 minute ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

The 7 hour thing is significant for more than just rest. It's about game-planning and overall preparation. This isn't pee wee football, where teams just roll out of bed on Saturday mornings and go at it. There is film to watch. Practice. Walk-thrus. Injuries to heal.  All that, and you're not counting the Wednesday travel day. 

I coach pee wee and we watch film and practice 5 hours a week :) 

On 11/25/2016 at 11:53 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not, and there's plenty of precedent. 

Have you seen the way away teams have performed on a short week just this year? 

Out of 9 games where both teams were on a short week (this doesn't count the start of the regular season Thursday Night game, since it's obviously not a short week for either team), 7 have been losses. And the vast majority of them haven't been competitive at all. It's usually a blowout. The final score is often not indicative of how the game went, as a lot of the points from the loser come during garbage time. 

I find it extremely difficult to see that as random. 

If you include yesterday's Thanksgiving games... 2 out of 3 of the away teams lost, with only the Steelers winning at the Colts and, let's be honest, the Colts didn't have a chance without Luck and with Tolzien starting. That was a layup for the Steelers.

So in total? That's 9 out of 11 games where the away team loses on a short week. A significant chunk of them being non competitive blowouts.  

It's so bad, in fact, that fantasy football experts say the home defense on Thursday Night is almost always a top streaming option, because the away team's offense is likely to put up a massive stinker. It usually pans out exactly that way! 

So, yeah, the fact that they played an away game on a short week, after a late game to boot? Absolutely a massive disadvantage. It's why you pretty much never see that in the first place happen. Every hour counts for these players to heal from a game. It's not just about gameplanning, which definitely takes a hit, but it's about the bumps and bruises that take all the little things like good rest and time in the cold tub to heal. And then traveling does weird things to the body itself. 

The players are probably unbelievably sore right now. It was bs what the NFL did, period. I was honestly freaking out leading up to the game because I thought we'd put up a stinker, so I was actually extremely impressed with the effort overall. I feel like it said a lot about this team. 

Being beaten by The Hated Rival is the worst.  Always.

Yet ironically enough, I do agree with the premise of the thread: under the circumstances I'm not too upset.  I definitely do hate that their fans will hold this over our heads (yet again), but under the circumstances, The Team played damn good ball.

Listen, I accept that we lost, but I couldn't help but wonder what kind of result would we have gotten without the scheduling "quirk."  And for the record, even John Madden had a problem with it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/24/john-madden-on-thursday-football-it-just-doesnt-work/

As a matter-of-fact, I found this quote particularly interesting:

“On Thanksgiving, Washington has to travel to Dallas to play in Dallas, and they played Sunday night,” Madden said. “That’s wrong. That’s an oops. You play a team on Sunday night and make them travel and play on Thursday. I remember in my coaching days, as players get older, it takes them longer to heal up from a Sunday game, and guys weren’t ready to play until Thursday or Friday.”

So it ain't just sour grapes coming out of our camp.  The biggest damn game of our Season, & The Hated Rival gets handed such a ridiculous advantage!

And I also agree with many other posters - it would be fitting if we saw them again just 1 more time.  In that regard, I definitely like our chances.

[Side note: it's heartwarming to see so many people still holding an upbeat outlook on The Redskins' prospects going forward.  Times have certainly changed for the better.]

not sure why anyone would be exciting at the prospect of going 0-1 again in the playoffs, but OK. I mean, best case scenario is we eek into the playoffs and loose the wild card game, a lot of talk last week was that the cowboys haven't played a team with a winning record, yeah, well, the redskins haven't played many good teams either. When we have, our defense has been exposed.

By the time our defense is any good, we'all have lost our offensive play makers to free agency and so the cycle of mediocrity continues. I've seen this before.

Next year, our defense might be good enough, but by that time we'll have lost garçon and djax, so our offense won't be as potent.

1 hour ago, RedskinsMayne said:

not sure why anyone would be exciting at the prospect of going 0-1 again in the playoffs, but OK. I mean, best case scenario is we eek into the playoffs and loose the wild card game, a lot of talk last week was that the cowboys haven't played a team with a winning record, yeah, well, the redskins haven't played many good teams either. When we have, our defense has been exposed.

By the time our defense is any good, we'all have lost our offensive play makers to free agency and so the cycle of mediocrity continues. I've seen this before.

Next year, our defense might be good enough, but by that time we'll have lost garçon and djax, so our offense won't be as potent.

Yeah, this sucks. I wish this franchise would do something to replace exiting players. Why can't we have a GM that has an incredible track of turning around completely hopeless franchises?

**** I hate Vinny Cerrato!

/Circa-2009-rant

Settle down, Sally, trust in St. McCloughan, Patron Saint of Moribund Franchises.

Archived