Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

5 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

lol I love this post. Pure homer goggles. Sometimes I get that way too, I just refuse to believe in these damn cowboys. I feel like they are a big stupid fish that just wont bite the damn hook. But once they do, its going to be a nice dinner for all.

I think/hope he was being facetious...

I'd agree that the Cowboys are definitely overachieving (moreso on D).  That O-Line downright abuses defenses and Zeke is the real deal; although Dak has surprised me.  I told a friend of mine that the boys were playoff bound when they took Zeke in the draft.  Him behind that line is nearly unstoppable.  

Bit I do believe you basically have an above average team playing mistake-free football, which makes them look elite.  Get them into a situation where they have to abandon the run, and lean on Dak to carry the offense, and I bet we see something totally different. 

42 minutes ago, bradboyd80 said:

Bit I do believe you basically have an above average team playing mistake-free football, which makes them look elite.  Get them into a situation where they have to abandon the run, and lean on Dak to carry the offense, and I bet we see something totally different. 

Well yeah, they are likely in reality a 10-6 type team, which would usually have them in contention for the division title.

But reading some people's comments would have them going back down to 4-12 next season.

27 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Well yeah, they are likely in reality a 10-6 type team, which would usually have them in contention for the division title.

But reading some people's comments would have them going back down to 4-12 next season.

Totally agree they feel more like a 10-6 type of team; they've just had a lot of lucky bounces go their way this year.  I wouldn't agree with the notion they are going back to 4-12 next year either; they don't have a 4-12 type of roster. 

We've lost or tied four winnable games, including the two to Dallas. If we win those games, we're 10-1 now instead of Dallas. While I agree with most of the Op's thoughts about are future, nothing is guaranteed in this league when your arrow is pointing up. Our arrow was pointing up in 2012 and look what happened. What about Carolina's up arrow from last year? The bottom line is that we are a good team right now with an offense that is second to none. And while the defense needs to get better, Dallas is 10-1 with a defense that is pretty much on par with ours. You have to make it count now. We could be 10-1 or 9-2 right now and we're 6-4-1 and are going to have to fight like hell to get into the playoffs. I love our team moving forward, but again, nothing is guaranteed in the years ahead, especially with our whole division's arrow appearing to be pointing up. Like the great George Allen used to say; "The future is now" and we should be sitting pretty in the NFC right now instead of fighting for a 5 or 6 seed.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Look at this way, of our four losses:

Two are to Dallas, the team with the best record in the NFL. Both losses by one score that could have gone either way.

Lost to Detroit on the road, where we had a lead with a minute to play before blowing it. Detroit is currently a division leader.

Lost to Pittsburgh at home. Non competitive game, but Pittsburgh with Roethlisberger healthy is a Super Bowl contender.

We are a good team. We aren't on Dallas's level, but few are. I'm encouraged as well by what I saw on Thanksgiving. We're a good team that lost to a better team on the road on short rest.

Completely agree.  In the NFC, I see the Skins behind the Boys and Seahawks.  That's not to say the Skins can't beat them in the playoffs ("Any given Sunday"), but if Skins played either of those teams 10 times, they'd lose more than they won.

But Skins are as good or better than anyone else in the conference in my opinion.  And that's a big step forward.

Let's load up on defense next offseason, lock up Kirk, and make good decisions at WR.  Then I think we could another step forward.

26 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Completely agree.  In the NFC, I see the Skins behind the Boys and Seahawks.  That's not to say the Skins can't beat them in the playoffs ("Any given Sunday"), but if Skins played either of those teams 10 times, they'd lose more than they won.

But Skins are as good or better than anyone else in the conference in my opinion.  And that's a big step forward.

Let's load up on defense next offseason, lock up Kirk, and make good decisions at WR.  Then I think we could another step forward.

I don't think we're good enough to beat the Seahawks in Seattle. At home its probably a 50/50 game. I think we're good enough to beat anyone else though.

Unlike last year, we're actually playing against and beating good teams this year. Giants, Ravens, and Vikings are all .500 or better and playoff contenders and we beat all three(two on the road). And we all but had the Lions beat.

Funny how times have changed.   We proud that we just played almost good enough.   I saw the pic's of the dallas / wash exchanging jerseys. Almost made me puke.   Sure not like the old RFK days.    

I do hope they address the D in the off season and give Kirk his money.   Adios!   

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

We've lost or tied four winnable games, including the two to Dallas. If we win those games, we're 10-1 now instead of Dallas. While I agree with most of the Op's thoughts about are future, nothing is guaranteed in this league when your arrow is pointing up. Our arrow was pointing up in 2012 and look what happened. What about Carolina's up arrow from last year? The bottom line is that we are a good team right now with an offense that is second to none. And while the defense needs to get better, Dallas is 10-1 with a defense that is pretty much on par with ours. You have to make it count now. We could be 10-1 or 9-2 right now and we're 6-4-1 and are going to have to fight like hell to get into the playoffs. I love our team moving forward, but again, nothing is guaranteed in the years ahead, especially with our whole division's arrow appearing to be pointing up. Like the great George Allen used to say; "The future is now" and we should be sitting pretty in the NFC right now instead of fighting for a 5 or 6 seed.

@redskin_potato @Breakemdownseph We've lost or tied four winnable games, including the two to Dallas. If we win those games, we're 10-1

To add on, I also am on Gruden's side for most of the calls he made except for 2. I hated the wildcat formation. His reasoning, to get the qb out of there and soften the defense, doesn't work for me. Taking the threat of Cousins throwing away from the play impacts the way the defense plays. On top of that, if you are running that crap, why not just pull Cousins and throw an extra lineman in there? It won't make a bit of difference because the defense probably isnt going to be in nickel in this situation anyway, so you dont get any man advantage for keeping Cousins in and motioning him out. 

I also hate the field goal before the half. I hate it so much. We have had red zone problems. We know we can score and keep pace, but only getting 3 before the half essentially did absolutely nothing. Go for 6. Pull momentum back. Get confidence in the red zone. Instead, we went into half with our tails between our legs.

He also did let the clock run too long before half. Should have given themselves at the minimum, 15 seconds. 

I did like the aggressive onsides kick call. He liked the look, wanted to steal a possession. The defense hadnt been playing well at that point, so take the opportunity to keep them on the field. Plus, it was late enough in the game where it had a better opportunity to truly surprise the Cowboys rather than them expecting it. 

I also agree with the 55 yard field goal. Take the points if you think your kicker can get them. 

Bottom line is, aggressive play calling is easier to bash because its results are typically more visible right away. 

Again, I feel that Dallas being 10-1, and maybe even the fact that the NYG are 7-3, is clouding our perspective on being 6-4-1.  If the NFC East was the usual dumpster fire it has been the vast majority of season in the last decade or so, we'd be feeling very good about our record and outlook. The NFL changes so much from season to season, not to mention it being a week to week league, that making the playoffs is the key.  This isn't 30 years ago where having the #1 or #2 seed pretty much guaranteed you'd be meeting in the NFC Championship game.  

Get hot, get healthy, get into the playoffs and all bets are off.  That doesn't mean certain teams shouldn't be favored, of course they should, but the margin of difference in teams is not what it used to be. You also see lower playoff seeds pulling upsets a lot more then they used to. 

Bruce Allen was the GM when we had our 2014 NFL Draft.  We had no first round picks, and ended up with Trent Murphy, Morgan Moses, Spencer Long, Bashaud Breeland.   And some people want him canned.

Our defense lacks talent on DL, ILB, and Both S positions.  Yet they've actually been able to make in game adjustments, play better in the second half of games, and make plays to help us win games.  Yet fans still want Joe Barry gone.  

I wasn't necessarily a fan of either of those two but they've done a pretty good job all things considered.  Building a consistent winner takes time, people.  We were DECIMATED by lack of draft picks for years, RGIII debacle, FA busts and the $36M cap penalty.  We now have a franchise QB, an OL that has only one glaring weakness(LG), weapons at WR and TE(not even including our first round pick, Josh Doctson), and a dependable RB.  

After the Cowboys game, I felt good.  Really good about this team's future.  Dallas had to play a perfect game, we missed two field goals, managed only 6 points in 4 first half red zone trips, punted once, had 500 yards of total offense...and they only beat us by 5 points.  This team is headed in the right direction, people.  We're not there yet.  But we'll be there.  And we'll be there soon.  

4 hours ago, PortisBetts said:

It is November 27th and not only are we deep in a playoff race, we are leading the way for the last spot. This never happens unless we go on a miracle run. At least, at 30 years old, I cant remember the last time. You are damn right I am happy. 

**** Dallas still. 

We we gotta play some tough games ahead though, most of them are on the road... i think we could loose to the vikings and then cardinals, and the giants game is looking very tough.

if i had to put monet in anything it would be us going 8-7-1.

Offenses get better as the season progresses due to increased chemistry, defenses get weaker to to injuries, fatigue, and the offenses getting stronger. Our offense is already very strong, our defense is week...... i don't see us closing out well.

Want to be wrong but nothing i've seen over the past 20 years makes me believe anything else

7 hours ago, bradboyd80 said:

I'd agree that the Cowboys are definitely overachieving (moreso on D).  That O-Line downright abuses defenses and Zeke is the real deal; although Dak has surprised me.  I told a friend of mine that the boys were playoff bound when they took Zeke in the draft.  Him behind that line is nearly unstoppable.  

That's what makes them so tough, you basically have to play perfect to beat them. 

By every account and measure, Thursday was a game you'd think we would have won but we just missed a few chances for points and it was enough being that Dallas was/is ridiculously efficient and plays mistake free. 

15 minutes ago, RedskinsMayne said:

We we gotta play some tough games ahead though, most of them are on the road... i think we could loose to the vikings and then cardinals, and the giants game is looking very tough.

Should we tell him?

After the Dallas game, makes me more impressed with our offense, despite the red zone issues. We missed 2 FG's and lost by 5. Sure, they had ball to end the game but who knows maybe the D does make that 1 last stop? We were in it the whole game and if the D just made a turnover or another stop could be a totally different outcome.

The next few games are tough but for Arizona, Palmer is meh, especially when blitzed. I hope we use Su'a more and keep an eye on Fitz. We shall see, definitely winnable games though

1 hour ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I don't like the chest-pounding here just because Kirk is over-achieving and has great stats.

Skins have a rough schedule coming up and could easily go 0-5 with their non-D, erratic ST and confused coaching.

Realistically yours,

I tend to agree that there's a little too much chest pounding for losing a winnable game against Dallas. 

But you say Kirk's overachieving?

Whatever.

3 hours ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

Sweetest scenario is to return to Dallas and end their season.

This COULD happen.  If the 'Skins get the 6 seed, and beat the 3 seed on the road, which would most likely be either Atlanta or Detroit (Dallas 1, Seattle 2, and right now Atlanta and Detroit are both 7-4), then they would go to Dallas for the division round. 

I like our chances against Detroit, in Detroit.  Atlanta ... question which Atlanta team shows up.  The team that flames out in the playoffs every year? Or the one that is scoring points in bunches and has the #1 offense.  That would be a tough match-up for the 'Skins because their strength (offense, and specifically passing offense) matches up against our defense (secondary minus Norman).  And Kyle is smart enough to figure out how to minimize Norman's impact. 

I'd take a rematch against Detroit in Detroit 10 times out of 10, but my guess is that it will be Atlanta. 

Also, I'd almost prefer to be the 6 seed rather than 5.  5 seed, if you win, you go to Seattle.  I know about Dallas' record.  I still think Seattle in the playoffs is an almost impossible spot to be in. 

But first thing's first: Gotta go out and beat Arizona, come home and clean up Carolina.  Win those 2, and I think they're pretty safely in the playoffs. 

Archived