Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Just Got Swept By Dallas and I Feel Good, Not Bad

kleese

1 hour ago, RedskinsMayne said:

not sure why anyone would be exciting at the prospect of going 0-1 again in the playoffs, but OK. I mean, best case scenario is we eek into the playoffs and loose the wild card game, a lot of talk last week was that the cowboys haven't played a team with a winning record, yeah, well, the redskins haven't played many good teams either. When we have, our defense has been exposed.By the time our defense is any good, we'all have lost our offensive play makers to free agency and so the cycle of mediocrity continues. I've seen this before.Next year, our defense might be good enough, but by that time we'll have lost garçon and djax, so our offense won't be as potent.

game-over.jpg

I think Im right there with you as well.  While there is a part of me that is upset that we SHOULD have won both games and lost, Im just really not that bothered by it.  Both games were within 1 score we should have made.  We didnt get embarrased, we are in a good place, playing good football, outside of the 2-3 stupid mistakes every game.  There is only a knife edge between this team being 9-2 and 6-4-1, and there is a massive ocean between it being something like 4-7.  I feel, for the first time in a long time, that this team should go 3-2 or 4-1 to end the season and make the playofs, and that once there, if we can finally cut out just 1-2 of the massive screwups every game(Leaving Starks wide open, failing to score from 1st and goal at the 5, missed FGs etc), there is not a single team in the playoffs that we cant beat and deserve to beat.

That's what sucks about this big picture.

right now, there is so much hype over the offense, how KC is playing great ball, how the offense is doing this, doing that, etc.

But, when it comes to the defense, there's a hush. Every single Redskin fan who saw how pathetic Haslett was, frowned at the hiring of Barry. At first, there were a few who said 'lets give the guy a chance', only to recognize the futility he brings.

I've said it awhile back, and others see it too; by the time they finally acknowledge that Barry isn't worthy of being our DC, we will have lost quite a few of our players to FA. These guys like money, but they DO want to be winners. They see New England, Seattle, and other successful winning teams go to Superbowls and they want to be part of it too. ****, I want the Redskins to go there too, many times.

I'm in complete agreement with ANYONE wanting Allen AND Barry to pack their belongings and leave town asap; let an assistant take the job over as interim; i'll guarantee you one damn thing, there will be some good DCs out there who will WANT to come here because they see the offense we have and know how to run a defense.

But no, Gruden must like keeping a whipping boy around to take heat off of him when things go wrong; scapegoats on this coaching staff/FO seem to be the norm here, almost like it was planned.

I feel good about the Redskins going forward because the team is improving and the roster does seem to be getting stronger.

But that is balanced out by the fact that Dallas is suddenly very good without relying on Tony Romo to do anything other than hold a clipboard. 

I believe the Cowboys are not were they should be. This season feels like an anomaly for them. Just like 2012 for us.

Sure they do have a great OL, but going all the way to the top, with half their D suspended is just surprising. Our team is quite on point though. Before the season, most of us expected 8-8 at best. We're 6-4-1 and with 2 wins we will have a winning record for the second time. Our O is just killing D, whoever they are. Our D is up and downs, as expected.

So yeah, as a whole, I like where we are because we're going the right direction at a good speed. Sure Cowboys fans must feel happy right now and boasts alot. I would tell them to watch out next season they would be in for a huge fall. And I'm not even sure they'll win the SB, if they ever reach it.

24 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I believe the Cowboys are not were they should be. This season feels like an anomaly for them. Just like 2012 for us.

Nobody expected the Cowboys to be 10-1 with a rookie QB and RB. However, with good QB and RB play they were 12-4 just two seasons ago.

I don't expect the Cowboys to have the monster year next season that they had in 2014 and appear to be on their way to in 2016, but see no reason why they should drastically fall off to not contend for the division in 2017 either.

13 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I don't expect the Cowboys to have the monster year next season that they had in 2014 and appear to be on their way to in 2016, but see no reason why they should drastically fall off to not contend for the division in 2017 either.

#ThingsWeSaidin2012

33 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Nobody expected the Cowboys to be 10-1 with a rookie QB and RB. However, with good QB and RB play they were 12-4 just two seasons ago.

With Jason Garrett at the helm the Cowboys have been:

6-10/8-8/8-8/8-8/12-4/4-12 and now 10-1. They've been middle of the pack or up and downs.

For comparisons with the Panthers and Ron Rivera:

6-10/7-9/12-4/7-8-1/15-1

Both looks like one year wonder teams. NFL History is full of it.

I do not share such feelings. Too many Coaching mistakes are the reason. I am not sold on our Coaches Game Feel. Countless games have been dramatically and negatively impacted by poor Coaching decisions or indecision. We can look at our personnel only so much for responsibility as to the Teams record this year. Yes, you must have talent to win in a talent filled league. The margins for victory vs. defeat are slim, those margins are enhanced by the Game management, preparation, adjustment and enthusiasm. I love the fight in this team, I hope they don't lose it because they too lack faith in the Coaches. 

I was hoping for more growth this year in that area. That said I will trust Scot in that area, he has worked with some Good Coaches and can recognize if a change or upgrade is needed. 

4 hours ago, skins island connection said:

That's what sucks about this big picture.

right now, there is so much hype over the offense, how KC is playing great ball, how the offense is doing this, doing that, etc.

But, when it comes to the defense, there's a hush. Every single Redskin fan who saw how pathetic Haslett was, frowned at the hiring of Barry. At first, there were a few who said 'lets give the guy a chance', only to recognize the futility he brings.

I've said it awhile back, and others see it too; by the time they finally acknowledge that Barry isn't worthy of being our DC, we will have lost quite a few of our players to FA. These guys like money, but they DO want to be winners. They see New England, Seattle, and other successful winning teams go to Superbowls and they want to be part of it too. ****, I want the Redskins to go there too, many times.

I'm in complete agreement with ANYONE wanting Allen AND Barry to pack their belongings and leave town asap; let an assistant take the job over as interim; i'll guarantee you one damn thing, there will be some good DCs out there who will WANT to come here because they see the offense we have and know how to run a defense.

But no, Gruden must like keeping a whipping boy around to take heat off of him when things go wrong; scapegoats on this coaching staff/FO seem to be the norm here, almost like it was planned.

Allen did what we wanted and what was needed, he hired a GM and moved up to Exec of Festivus. I am fine with him there. 

14 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

@TD_washingtonredskins Shoot, after I hit "submit" I read through the rest of the thread and saw you already got a ton of responses on this. 

Hate when that happens. We should have a ticker on every post indicating the amount of quotes it received.  

Now it looks like I was just piling on, my bad. :ols: 

No worries at all. I don't consider it piling on. I understand everyone's points on it, but I'm just not in love with the excuses. I also can't tell from the responses which leg of the two games people are upset about, the preceding SNF game or the Thursday game itself. If the former, I get it but still think it's pretty nitpicky to complain about a few extra hours. If the latter, everyone has to play one. 

We got a break earlier in the year playing a "road" game on neutral field (at worst) in London. I just see it as something that happens from time to time. We didn't have everything working for us going into this game...but it wasn't (in my mind) insurmountable. 

I understand the feeling of the OP and don't necessarily disagree on most of it.  But I'm tired of moral victories.  Those don't add up in wins, they're usually found in the loss column.

Good news is that this team isn't far.  We need some defensive pieces.  We need to fix the red zone issues.  The issues we need to fix are well within range of being able to be completed.  

11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I also can't tell from the responses which leg of the two games people are upset about, the preceding SNF game or the Thursday game itself. If the former, I get it but still think it's pretty nitpicky to complain about a few extra hours. If the latter, everyone has to play one. 

Thanks for not considering it piling on. :) 

For me, it was more about playing Sunday Night while having to travel on a short week. Had it been a home game for us I wouldn't have felt as frustrated about it, and I believe the team in general wouldn't have, either. 

I think you're downplaying those "hours" as well as the travel time. Both add up.  

The fact is, away teams already struggle on these short weeks, whether you want to call it an excuse or not, to the point that you can't ignore it... let alone having played a night game a few days prior. The only thing worse the NFL could've done was schedule the Packers game in Green Bay for us. 

So, yeah, while it is an excuse... I think it's a legitimate one. Not all excuses are created equally. Furthermore, we're just not there yet as a contender to be able to overcome bs like that consistently. I think enough people around the league, as well as within the team, have stated pretty clearly that there was definitely something wrong with it for us not to consider it an invalid excuse. 

We almost did overcome it, though, so I was impressed. 

I agree, though, it wasn't "insurmountable". But I think it was a very significant advantage for the Cowboys that helped shape the outcome of the game.  

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Sure they do have a great OL, but going all the way to the top, with half their D suspended is just surprising. Our team is quite on point though. Before the season, most of us expected 8-8 at best. We're 6-4-1 and with 2 wins we will have a winning record for the second time. Our O is just killing D, whoever they are. Our D is up and downs, as expected.

So yeah, as a whole, I like where we are because we're going the right direction at a good speed. Sure Cowboys fans must feel happy right now and boasts alot. I would tell them to watch out next season they would be in for a huge fall. And I'm not even sure they'll win the SB, if they ever reach it.

When dcs get tape on them and an offseason to gameplan, we will see if they ate for real. Yhey will gave mostly the same team.  Overthecap had them $10M over for next year.  Releasing romo gets them 5M but then still need to make cuts.  

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No worries at all. I don't consider it piling on. I understand everyone's points on it, but I'm just not in love with the excuses. I also can't tell from the responses which leg of the two games people are upset about, the preceding SNF game or the Thursday game itself. If the former, I get it but still think it's pretty nitpicky to complain about a few extra hours. If the latter, everyone has to play one. 

We got a break earlier in the year playing a "road" game on neutral field (at worst) in London. I just see it as something that happens from time to time. We didn't have everything working for us going into this game...but it wasn't (in my mind) insurmountable. 

Ya know, if you look back at the last game, our D allowed 0 points to Dallas in the 3rd and 14 in the 4th.

I'm wondering how much of those 14 points were due to our guys being exhausted by everything such as, short week, travel and stuff. The fact that they had to deal with the best OL of the year is huge as well.

Having a short break to travel to Cleveland to take on a team that has packing up is one thing. Doing the same thing against the best OL and the hottest team of the year, that's a completly different business.

At point, everythings adds up.

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Ya know, if you look back at the last game, our D allowed 0 points to Dallas in the 3rd and 14 in the 4th.

A lot of that third quarter was due to the Skins drive taking up the last eight minutes of the quarter. The Cowboys only had one possession in the 3rd and were hurt by a holding penalty.

38 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

A lot of that third quarter was due to the Skins drive taking up the last eight minutes of the quarter. The Cowboys only had one possession in the 3rd and were hurt by a holding penalty.

OK, so we only take into account the drives where they get beat? Others are irrelevant? They still had the ball for 5+ minutes.

4 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

I do not share such feelings. Too many Coaching mistakes are the reason. I am not sold on our Coaches Game Feel. Countless games have been dramatically and negatively impacted by poor Coaching decisions or indecision

Alot of his decisions have won games as well, and I bet the good outweighs the bad. Fans looking for perfections will never get it. These guys are not robots. They make spilt decisions on the fly and are criticized for whatever they do. 

His offense flows with Kirk. If you don't want Jay, then you won't have Kirk either. I mean Jay has brought us the best offense we've seen in this fan base in 20 years.

On another point. Those who are blaming Barry need to realize that we have one of the cheapest defenses in the NFL. Less then a third of our cap is spent on defense right now. Even less on the defensive line. This is a players league and Ray Lewis said it best when he said 

"Great players make great coaches"

Barry is not the one missing tackles, dropping interceptions, giving up outside contain on Dak, and not getting off blocks. 

It's not coincidence that the only time anything good happens on defense is when either

Sua Cravens, Josh Norman, Chris Baker, and Ryan Kerrigan are involved.

Those are the only ones that have a significant role on this defense and makes plays. 

Just like we gave Jay and Kirk the patience they needed are the same reason as a fan base we should do the same for Barry  

Look at this way, of our four losses:

Two are to Dallas, the team with the best record in the NFL. Both losses by one score that could have gone either way.

Lost to Detroit on the road, where we had a lead with a minute to play before blowing it. Detroit is currently a division leader.

Lost to Pittsburgh at home. Non competitive game, but Pittsburgh with Roethlisberger healthy is a Super Bowl contender.

We are a good team. We aren't on Dallas's level, but few are. I'm encouraged as well by what I saw on Thanksgiving. We're a good team that lost to a better team on the road on short rest.

it's just amazing that dallas should have lost most of their games, but are still 10-1. every team that has lost to them has said so. they are just a really lucky below average team. they should only have wins against the browns and the 49ers. every other team beat themselves and made mistakes.

2 minutes ago, zeroburrito said:

it's just amazing that dallas should have lost most of their games, but are still 10-1. every team that has lost to them has said so. they are just a really lucky below average team. they should only have wins against the browns and the 49ers.

lolol no...they have overachieved a bit but they are a good team. They're more of an 11 ish win team that will overachieve to 13 or 14 wins.

14 minutes ago, zeroburrito said:

it's just amazing that dallas should have lost most of their games, but are still 10-1. every team that has lost to them has said so. they are just a really lucky below average team. they should only have wins against the browns and the 49ers. every other team beat themselves and made mistakes.

They're a top-3 team in the NFL. Only games they should have lost were Eagles and Skins week 2. 

3 hours ago, William Barbour said:

Alot of his decisions have won games as well, and I bet the good outweighs the bad. Fans looking for perfections will never get it. These guys are not robots. They make spilt decisions on the fly and are criticized for whatever they do. 

Just like we gave Jay and Kirk the patience they needed are the same reason as a fan base we should do the same for Barry  

I don't see the growth I expected, clock mgt., Red Zone play calling, coverages and blitzes- 

Jay and McVay and very talented don't get me wrong, it's the timing, which may come with experience.. I was just expecting more growth this year. 

-You are kidding yourself if you think Barry was the best choice as a DC, he is absolutely not getting the most out of the personnel he has, which is not great tbh. His resume' hasn't seemed to lie thus far in his Washington tenure. 

9 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

With Jason Garrett at the helm the Cowboys have been:

6-10/8-8/8-8/8-8/12-4/4-12 and now 10-1. They've been middle of the pack or up and downs.

For comparisons with the Panthers and Ron Rivera:

6-10/7-9/12-4/7-8-1/15-1

Both looks like one year wonder teams. NFL History is full of it.

I think they come back down to earth next year, especially Dak. He's this years Nick Foles. And only 3 turnovers all year? That's also going to change. They have been nearly perfect in execution this year offensively, something they have not been known for. I don't think they fall off a cliff and go 4-12, but I think they are more of a 9-7, 10-6 team overall. I think they are a bit better than they were, but Witten is really getting up there and I don't expect Daks security blanket to be there for that much longer.

So, I agree

2 hours ago, zeroburrito said:

lol I love this post. Pure homer goggles. Sometimes I get that way too, I just refuse to believe in these damn cowboys. I feel like they are a big stupid fish that just wont bite the damn hook. But once they do, its going to be a nice dinner for all.

Archived