Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I HATE the fact that Donald Trump is going to be our president. Hate, hate, hate it. Renegade is right though. The country will go on. This won't be the first time a world super power has had a doofus in charge. Heck, it won't be the first time for our country. It's valid to have concerns about the economy, education, environment, military, etc but for the most part, any bad policies regarding institutions or concepts like those can be undone. Personally, it probably won't affect me very much at all. Unfortunately, there are individuals and families who might suffer drastic consequences that can't be undone.

I used to only watch one soap opera.  Now I'm watching all of them.  I've gotta escape reality somehow.

Free press: no, it's not going to be some dystopian novel situation. I don't expect Trump to create the Ministry of Truth. He doesn't have to. All he needs to do is undermine the credibility of traditional newspapers and reporting and replace it with Alex Jones. You may have noticed that this is working effectively and that the rational segment of our society has no idea what to do about it. 

Environment: the liberal policy is that climate change exists and we should do something about it. A rational conservative response would be to ensure that we don't overburden businesses with environmental regulation -- let's find the reasonable equilibrium. The Republican response is that climate change is fiction, and please don't notice that we are owned by the fossil fuel industry. The consequences here really can't be undone. 

These are just two examples, and practically everything Trump is doing seems to bring significant risk for little reward. He is not even in office yet and he is causing significant friction with China, the country that has our nuts in a vise economically. I don't buy that he has any grand China strategy and the whole "thinks he is playing chess, is actually playing checkers" seems true.

So no I don't think the country is going to end in four years but the consequences will affect everyone, not just the low income people who might be screwed out of their healthcare. "It's going to be fine because it's always been fine" is comforting but not actually true. 

All else aside, my biggest concern is that the new Presidunce will precipitate a trade war/economic crash simply because he's an idiot. That takes no act of Congress or mandate or vote, he can pretty much do it by saying dumb **** on Twitter all the time, kinda like, yanno, the stuff he's doing already

But everything's gonna be ok, just gotta get on board the Trump Train <sigh>

YYY.jpg

38 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Lol at the Customer Questions

Those are hilarious. It's the great irony of this election that people upset about jobs being lost overseas and those that claim this is about rural people pushing back against liberal cities, elected a person and family that embodies everything they claim to be upset about. Trump and his family have **** all over the American worker forever. 

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Those are hilarious. It's the great irony of this election that people upset about jobs being lost overseas and those that claim this is about rural people pushing back against liberal cities, elected a person and family that embodies everything they claim to be upset about. Trump and his family have **** all over the American worker forever. 

I think they had a hope (that won't come true) that he did these things to make money so he knows how to game the system.  And since he knows the loopholes and incentives of going overseas, he will know how to stop it.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I believe you've lost track of the fact that congressional republicans don't like Trump nor agree with all of his policy proposals. I don't understand what scenario you see where Free Press will be eliminated, followed by the total elimination of environmental and labor protections in only two years.

Yeah, we can count on Ted Cruz and the Freedom Caucus to put the safety of the country ahead of partisan politics. 

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

Free press: no, it's not going to be some dystopian novel situation. I don't expect Trump to create the Ministry of Truth. He doesn't have to. All he needs to do is undermine the credibility of traditional newspapers and reporting and replace it with Alex Jones. You may have noticed that this is working effectively and that the rational segment of our society has no idea what to do about it.

That's been happening looooooooong before Trump though and it's the fault of the GOP for not squashing it when they could have. Trump is just a guy who is legitimizing it and capitalizing on it.

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think they had a hope (that won't come true) that he did these things to make money so he knows how to game the system.  And since he knows the loopholes and incentives of going overseas, he will know how to stop it.

I hear that. Kinda like I'm hoping I wake up with curly blonde hair tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don't know if I will ever be able to wrap my brain about this aspect of the election. 

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What, and stop his own companies and those of his kids?!  Too funny!

It's too early to panic, but definitely not too early to be somewhat concerned.

One thing that we tend to sort of accept in a naive way is that "It can't happen here."

Indeed, if you were to ask me what American Exceptionalism was, prior to November 9, I probably would have said our good horse sense to not allow the country to devolve in authoritarianism via rabid populism.  It happens to other democracies literally all the time.  Democracy takes work; the natural state of man is almost certainly to be led by the strongest, that is, authoritarianism.  The notion that might doesn't always make right and that the strong must give some weight to the opinions of the meek/weak is one that inherently stands in opposition to survivalist mentalities of our long ago ancestors.

Anyways, to another philosophical point, our rights are only as strong as the system that established them feels they are; they're privileges that gain functional right status in a system that supports them.  If the US government decided tomorrow, in conjunction with courts, that free speech was to be ended as a right, they could do that, no deity is going to intervene and force the 1st Amendment to be protected.

What this means for us, functionally is that the thing protecting our freedoms and "rights" are the will of the system to protect them.  Ask African Americans in the 50's if the system protected their rights.

How does this play into free press, free speech, civil liberties of today?  Well there are what I would call "warning signs."  Things we shouldn't blow out of proportion, but certainly should heed.

Luckily for us, the main danger, Trump, isn't even hiding the ball.  He flatly has said he wants to open up libel laws.  He's already turned all his supporters against the press.  The groundwork is being laid.  Trump may not even have to do everything himself.  Some harrassment and threats here and there from his supporters might do the job.

Consider that some Trumpkin posted a gif at Kurt Eichenwald on twitter specifically to induce a seizure in Kurt, who has epilepsy.  The person who tweeted specifically said in their tweet that Kurt deserved to have seizures because of his views.  Kurt did have a seizure as a result.  He has filed suit against the tweeter, but is leaving twitter behind for a while except to post legal paperwork about his suit.

That is very concerning to me.  A member of the press, and a good member at that (not a pundit) was attacked.

How many more members of the press will get treated similarly?

How many times until the press just tows the Trump line?  If Trump opens up libel laws, how many news organizations will he go after?

If libel laws get opened up, how far are we from some fancy new sedition laws, criminalizing a bunch of journalistic norms we once took for granted.

Will the courts stand up to him?  I mean, that's who would have to do it.  What about 4-8 years down the line when he's had a chance to fill lots of appointments to various courts?

When Trump says he'll do something, or that he wants to do something, I believe him.  From what he says alone, we should be concerned and vigilant.  We don't need to panic yet, key word "yet."  But if he starts actually going down the path of suppressing journalists, even if it's through seemingly small acts, we need to start recognizing the dangers of what he's doing and resist it, full stop.

43 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah, we can count on Ted Cruz and the Freedom Caucus to put the safety of the country ahead of partisan politics. 

Watching what McConnell and Ryan do more then that.  Its a fair concern, and they might do some legit damage, but if people are as pissed off as they claim to be, they'll vote in 2018 to help limit the damage. I know I will.

When this snowball started gaining momentum, I was like "Good. Here comes that GoP Civil War that I've been forecasting." I figured the Republican leadership would see the consequences of ignoring the anti-intellectualism that had been taking hold of their party and fight back. Sure, it would mean a loss in this election and probably a setback for a couple of years but it was the only way they were, and are, ever going to get back on track.

Kinda crazy how they just rolled over without any fight at all... Crazy and sad.

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Hell, I hope I wake up with a curly-haired blonde tomorrow, but I expect we'll both be disappointed.................

I'll make you a deal. If my wish comes true... so will yours. Wink, wink.

Archived