Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

17 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I believe she's saying she's won't be standing during the pledge/anthem going forward.

Neither will I

Nor will I look upon Kaep favorably either. He, and others like him that pushed that false equivalency bull**** and didn't vote, or voted third party in my eyes, are no different than the idiots that looked at everything Trump said and laid out (or didn't lay out at all), and said " Yeah, I want some of that".

He's going to get people on board with him who do not like what Kaep has started, nor the pushback to the injustice surrounding treatment of African americans and other minority groups by the police.

But nah, Kaep doesn't care about that, I guess. his refusal to vote, in my eyes, has seriously damaged my view of him.

Frankly, it's time for him to go away. I'd rather someone else step up to the plate and continue what he started...Someone that actually wants things to change and at the same time is willing to do everything in their power to make it happen, which he ignorantly did not do. But that's not gonna happen, because he was the first to really draw attention to this, and people who see absolutely nothing wrong with what's happening will prop him up like a piñata and go to work.

Screw him

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Neither will I

Nor will I look upon Kaep favorably either. He, and others like him that pushed that false equivalency bull**** and didn't vote, or voted third party in my eyes, are no different than the idiots that looked at everything Trump said and laid out (or didn't lay out at all), and said " Yeah, I want some of that".

He's going to get people on board with him who do not like what Kaep has started, nor the pushback to the injustice surrounding treatment of African americans and other minority groups by the police.

But nah, Kaep doesn't care about that, I guess. his refusal to vote, in my eyes, has seriously damaged my view of him.

Frankly, it's time for him to go away. I'd rather someone else step up to the plate and continue what he started...Someone that actually wants things to change and at the same time is willing to do everything in their power to make it happen, which he ignorantly did not do. But that's not gonna happen, because he was the first to really draw attention to this, and people who see absolutely nothing wrong with what's happening will prop him up like a piñata and go to work.

Screw him

Change starts at the local level imo. Help the people around you. I dont live in a poor area anymore so I dont have a stoop where I can sweep up the broken glass, condoms, baggies, trash after a Friday or Sat night but Im still going to pay the neighbors kid to rake my tiny lawn or shovel my 10 feet of walkway. Push kids on the swing at the nearby apartment complex playground bc I seem to be only parent around. Kaep did a "know your rights" seminar, more of that please. Sponsor jerseys for a urban youth football team so the kids feel good, i guarantee they will hang that jersey with pride in their bedroom and stare at it until they fall asleep. 

A Dem vote in CA means nothing, much like a Dem vote in MD means nothing. 

But perhaps a Kaep endorsement of Hillary could have motivated voters in places like Michigan, Ohio, PA, Fl to vote Dem. 

To now dismiss Kaep's message bc he didnt cast a meaningless vote seems insincere to me but honestly, people chiming in and giving their opinion of Kaep, as if this is a thumbs up or thumbs down thing, is odd. Good for Kaep. What are you doing? I guarantee you, we all are not doing enough. 

(I feel like i did a pat myself on the back, self gratifying post and Im not sure why .. i must feel guilty about something)

On 11/9/2016 at 8:00 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyone see the reports that Kap didn't vote?  Thoughts?

I 100% disagree with him here.  He proved himself to be ill-informed of the process, and unfortunately as someone who is the face of a social-justice movement, he had people listening to his word and following suit. 

He's not the only person who had issues with Trump/Clinton, however, Kap could have easily name-dropped people who he thought were good candidates to be written in.  He didn't do any of that.  On top of it all, even if he didn't vote for the presidency, as a resident of California there were different propositions that he could have weighed in on that will undoubtedly affect people that he knows.  

He talks about systematic oppression, but he gave those folks exactly what they wanted by not going out to the polls.  I actually lost a ton of respect for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Change starts at the local level imo. What are you doing? 

That's not where it ends, and I will tell you what I am doing and what I have done

I am picking the last bit of my face off of the ground after it was run the hell over, venting with family members, consoling younger family members  on my mom's side (Puerto Rican) in Florida, to keep their heads up, and that this isn't the end, just a bump in the road.

I told them that they will have their say in 2 and 4 years, to effect change at the national level  But meanwhile they should learn everything there is to learn about how politics work, from the bottom up, so they can understand the importance of voting on Every. Issue. That. Comes. Their. Way.

I tell them that that is their most powerful tool as citizens, and I also talk to them about the importance of peaceful protest, respect for others, respect for yourself, and cultural understanding, so they see with their own eyes, and not through the hateful lense of someone else.

I've said largely the same thing to every kid I have come across, that wanted my advice. Respect for what this country is supposed to stand for, respect for others, respect for yourself.

And I lead (and have lead) by example. And I am irate that the most visible athlete on this issue, the one who probably has the ear of young children all over the country, who's aspirations and knowledge are still being shaped, sent a message that basically says "They're all bad, there's nothing that  can be done"

I am beside myself at the message that sends, along . with the one that ANY vote does not count. It is not a cliche. Every vote is a voice. And as a brown person, my voice (this time around) has been drowned out by others based out of ignorance, bigotry, and fear.

But you are right, there is more that I can and will do.

So what about you? What have you done? Assuming you were responding out of genuine curiosity and not because you were playing games, I am interested in hearing what ideas you may have

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So what about you? What have you done? Assuming you were responding out of genuine curiosity and not because you were playing games, I am interested in hearing what ideas you may have

Good post Mr. Sin. 

What am I doing? Idk, I used to sweep my half block in baltimore from broken glass, dead rats, dime bags etc bc the latin kids would run up and down the sidewalk in their bare feet. I used to clean the playground. Get the teens to smoke blunts away from the playground. I would always bring a big bag of sidewalk chalk and give it to kids and leave some behind. I help my wifes family a good bit with paying for electricity in the winter when they get behind, winterizing their windows, buying space heaters. I driving to pick them all up and bring them to our house for Thanksgiving bc they rely on expired food given to them by their church and dont have money for turkey etc.  

Now that I live in Columbia, theres not much to do in my neighborhood. Before i could leave diapers or canned food outside my building and it would be gone in a half second. We would make an extra plate for Mr. james in our building. 

I should do a food drive for thanksgiving and christmas. 

I def want to help sponsor some urban football jerseys and prom dresses. 

I need to do more. 

• Like 1

Well then my apologies. I know a lot of rotten people play that "youre just whining, what have you done to improve things?" game because they think people are as two faced and lack any kind of honor or general human decency, and don't stand behind what they say, just like them.

I live in PG county. Might try to look up some town hall stuff that might be going on, and try to speak. One of my best friends is also thinking about coaching a church league kids bball team and asked me to help him with practices. I could do that too. Would give me a chance to talk to some 14-15 year olds.

One thing is for sure... This has lit one he'll of a fire under me, and I will do as much as I can to help things get better for our future. In the meantime im gonna look for more ways to take my mind off of what's happened.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The whole thing just seems off. Standing, taking your hat off and placing your hand over your heart. Reminds me of those things you see in other countries where we laugh at folks who overly praise their "dear leader" or bow down to a king. Like worshipping an idol except it's a song/flag.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

The whole thing just seems off. Standing, taking your hat of and placing your hand over your heart. Reminds me of those things you see in other countries where we laugh at folks who overly praise their "dear leader" or bow down to a king. Like worshipping an idol except it's a song/flag.

Understand the group of people who are outraged. 

Then understand the conditioning they have been put through and are still going through. 

Its exactly like the 'Dear Leader' thing. Its exactly the same thing, just the American version. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I feel like all this anthem/flag stuff is a bit of a course correction.  Like finally people are asking critically why we've been conditioned to do this stuff all these years.

Exactly! hence why you are seeing this response from white supremacist supporters and sympathizers.

More than anything though, the actual cause of this protest is now thrown to the back. Racial injustice is what started this, and unfortunately the media co-opted it to make it about the military and now its anti-Trump.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

I think we should recite the preamble to the Constitution. That's more patriotic than saluting some piece of cloth and and singing some words set to the melody of a bawdy bar song.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's only been an NFL rule since 09.  The NFL started it to help recruiting for the Armed Forces.

So we can blame them for not sticking to sports.

I'm kidding, but seriously, even simply merely playing the anthem before sporting events.  Or conditioning kids to do the pledge of allegiance in school. There arent a lot of countries (free ones anyway) where such a thing is a daily routine in education.

It's possible to think Trump was wrong for what he said, that the players are wrong for kneeling, that the media is wrong for claiming the reason Kaep isnt playing is because of this and also not give enough of a crap to affect the way I watched my team whip some ass last night.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

It's possible to think Trump was wrong for what he said, that the players are wrong for kneeling, that the media is wrong for claiming the reason Kaep isnt playing is because of this and also not give enough of a crap to affect the way I watched my team whip some ass last night.

Sure. You'd be wrong about Kap and the kneeling though.

:)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

NO! you MUST pick a side! one is right and one is wrong and thats that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1