Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

im not the author or editor, lol.

can you link the article?

I get that. and, youre right. I just think its interesting. its a perception, but I'm not sure its true. but it gets repeated (often uncontested) as if it were fact.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayweather-im-here-to-say-all-lives-matter-012902281.html;_ylt=A0LEVxSb9vxXNAcAespXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyaHZjYzhtBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc2M

• Like 1
3 hours ago, grego said:

you mean Ruth Bader Ginsberg?

I got the opposite impression- that people can choose to sit for the national anthem or burn a flag and that it shouldn't be illegal.

"I think it's really dumb of them," Ginsburg said. "Would I arrest them for doing it? No. I think it's dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it.

"I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act. But it's dangerous to arrest people for conduct that doesn't jeopardize the health or well-being of other people. It's a symbol they're engaged in."

She compared it to flag burning, which IMO, is going a bit over the top. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't burning the flag illegal. If it isn't that's fine, and I didn't hear what question she may have been answering, I just don't understand why locking people up is even mentioned. I have yet to see anyone suggest Kaep should be arrested, so why even say that? 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well one, it's a female.  And a Supreme Court Justice so I don't know if I would say "stupid".

That's fine. Thank you for telling me the gender. I already knew she was a Justice, that doesn't exclude them from saying dumb stuff. Look at Clarence Thomas and the late Scalia. 

1 hour ago, grego said:

my question is, is this an accurate statement? is the number of black people shot by police actually growing (assuming were not talking about the 'since the beginning of time, then yes' context)?

I'm not sure. Data on that is incomplete as we all know. You could make a case that it seems it's growing because there is finally attention being paid to it, but the actual numbers are still the same. Or you could say it may have gone up slightly due to higher tensions. Either one is possible. 

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Wasn't Ginsberg admonished a few months ago for spouting out?
 I get she is a person with an opinion, but her position means discretion in espousing it.

~Bang

established law that being dumb is legal...she's golden.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, grego said:

she is an idiot. Mix Diskerud's mom is an American citizen. IF she advocating changing the constitution to say "you can only be considered an American if you are born in America," then she would push for that. She won't though.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/singer-leah-tysse-explains-taking-knee-during-anthem-kings-game

Why I took a knee while singing the Anthem at a Sacramento Kings NBA game: This act embodies the conflict many of us feel. I love and honor my country as deeply as anyone yet it is my responsibility as an American to speak up against injustice as it affects my fellow Americans. I have sung the anthem before but this time taking a knee felt like the most patriotic thing I could do. I cannot idly stand by as black people are unlawfully profiled, harassed and killed by our law enforcement over and over and without a drop of accountability. I believe that the majority of police are good and are against this too and as a nation we all need to speak up. We should all be outraged and demand justice and an end to the brutality. Let’s look around our communities for those facilitating healthy interactions between law enforcement and communities of color and support. The sad reality is, as a white American I am bestowed a certain privilege in this nation that is not enjoyed by all people. Black families are having much different conversations with their children about how to interact with the police than white families. Let's be honest. Until we can recognize that white privilege exists we cannot have a dialogue about race. Whether or not you can see if from your vantage point, there is a deep system of institutionalized racism in America, from everyday discrimination to disproportionate incarceration of people of color to people losing their lives at the hands of the police simply for being black. This is not who we claim to be as a nation. It is wrong and I won't stand for it. #solidarity #pleasevote

My biggest problem with America is the same as my main problem with ExtremeSkins.com .. If you are in the minority, you get the short end of the stick.  If you disagree with the majority, you get handled like a **** child filled with threats & talked down upon.  Sort of how blacks are consistently treated by police in this country.  But if it doesn't affect you, I get it, why should you care?  So keep deflecting when it comes to issues of race & trying to find ways to talk your way out of uncomfortable discussions ??

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Conservative viewpoints tend to be the dissenting opinion on this board.

Wouldn't be the case if most of the old school right crew weren't ousted due to their stupidity.

And I don't know where any if these Trump supporters are. Would be interesting to know who they are so I can block them, though...

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

Conservative viewpoints tend to be the dissenting opinion on this board.

I agree with this.  It doesn't help though when some of the "conservatives" on  this board make themselves sound like window lickers when trying to make their points.  It doesn't help out some of the moderate conservatives like me. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, twa said:

Ain't that just like a liberal?

Voicing opinions on things they no nothing about or waffling

I hope they spell better than some conservatives.  Methinks they do.

And she shouldn't have offered an opinion.  I even cringed when she did it.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/nba-anthem-protests-social-justice-activism/?tsm=1

Gotta say Carmelo Anthony has a point and I'm glad to see the NBA working with the players towards putting their money where their mouth is. 

Not only that, but Adam Silver isn't a puppet like another commissioner. 

*Waits for predictable post about the violence in Chicago, or some other false equivalency.