Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Would be more impressed if he did this BEFORE he started his "look at me" protest.  but I will give props where props are due.  Glad to see him taking meaningful action.

@TheGreatBuzz: Would be more impressed if he did this BEFORE he started his "look at me" protest.  but I will give props where props are due.  Glad to see him taking meaningful action.

"Please don't say anything about it online," Colin asked me a few days before the camp. "I'm not doing this for the press and I don't want it to become a media event so that the kids and the families can feel like this is just for them."

Clearly, the words of someone who wants everyone to look at him. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gamebreaker
Had the wrong quote for the wrong member originally.
  • Like 2

And not related to what I said.  He is doing something good after he started that protest.  And I gave him props for it.  I just think he should have been doing things like this from the start if it was that important to him.  I'd have taken him a lot more seriously and based on the majority of comments, so would most others.

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And not related to what I said.  He is doing something good after he started that protest.  And I gave him props for it.  I just think he should have been doing things like this from the start if it was that important to him.  I'd have taken him a lot more seriously and based on the majority of comments, so would most others.

how do you know that he wasn't?

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

this all makes no sense.

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Man, if he only had you and the "others" to take him more seriously...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Everything I heard reported everywhere......

What are you having trouble understanding? 

I understand what you are saying. Its really not making sense because your position makes no sense. Sense in that its not rational.

You want to deligitimize his protest and any subsequent acts he does that follows. One, you dont know what Kaerpnick did beforehand. You flat out have no idea. Two, lets say he did do nothing until he started protest, so what?

Lastly, the whole purpose of a protest is to call attention to something a person (or persons) feels is a great injustice.

So yeah, your position is irrational. I understood clearly, but I did not want to be inflammatory so I used non inflammatory language.

• Like 2

"We couldn't try on clothes," Colvin says. "You had to take a brown paper bag and draw a diagram of your foot ... and take it to the store. Can you imagine all of that in my mind? My head was just too full of black history, you know, the oppression that we went through. 

CLAUDETTE: One of them said to the driver in a very angry tone, "Who is it?" The motorman pointed at me. I heard him say, "That's nothing new . . . I've had trouble with that 'thing' before." He called me a "thing." They came to me and stood over me and one said, "Aren't you going to get up?" I said, "No, sir." He shouted "Get up" again. I started crying, but I felt even more defiant. I kept saying over and over, in my high-pitched voice, "It's my constitutional right to sit here as much as that lady. I paid my dare, it's my constitutional right!" I knew I was talking back to a white policeman, but I had had enough.

One cop grabbed one of my hands and his partner grabbed the other and they pulled me straight up out of my seat. My books went flying everywhere. I went limp as a baby—I was too smart to fight back. They started dragging me backwards off the bus. One of them kicked me. I might have scratched one of them because I had long nails, but I sure didn't fight back. I kept screaming over and over, "It's my constitutional right!" I wasn't shouting anything profane—I never swore, not then, not ever. I was shouting out my rights.

It just killed me to leave the bus. I hated to give that white woman my seat when so many black people were standing. I was crying hard. The cops put me in the back of a police car and shut the door. They stood outside and talked to each other for a minute, and then one came back and told me to stick my hands out the open window. He handcuffed me and then pulled the door open and jumped in the backseat with me. I put my knees together and crossed my hands over my lap and started praying.

All ride long they swore at me and ridiculed me. They took turns trying to guess my bra size. They called me ""n-word" ****" and cracked jokes about parts of my body. I recited the Lord's Prayer and the Twenty-third Psalm over and over in my head, trying to push back the fear. I assumed they were taking me to juvenile court because I was only fifteen. I was thinking, Now I'm gonna be picking cotton, since that's how they punished juveniles—they put you in a school out in the country where they made you do field work during the day.

But we were going in the wrong direction. They kept telling me I was going to Atmore, the women's penitentiary. Instead, we pulled up to the police station and they led me inside. More cops looked up when we came in and started calling me "Thing" and "Whore." They booked me and took my fingerprints.

Then they put me back in the car and drove me to the city jail—the adult jail. Someone led me straight to a cell without giving me any chance to make a phone call. He opened the door and told me to get inside. He shut it hard behind me and turned the key. The lock fell into place with a heavy sound. It was the worst sound I ever heard. It sounded final. It said I was trapped.

When he went away, I looked around me: three bare walls, a toilet, and a cot. Then I feel down on my knees in the middle of the cell and started crying again. I didn't know if anyone knew where I was or what had happened to me. I had no idea how long I would be there. I cried and I put my hands together and prayed like I had never prayed before.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101719889

---------------------

The 15 year old girl who refused to give up her seat. Hard to imagine that was only 70 years ago. I would def go to a book signing if she is doing one. I really hope so.

As a (white) dad of a inter racial daughter, Im going to have some hard-to-have conversations in the future. 

I quoted a lot bc I found the story riveting and worth page space. I wish I could have quoted the whole thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I understand what you are saying. Its really not making sense because your position makes no sense. Sense in that its not rational.

You want to deligitimize his protest and any subsequent acts he does that follows. One, you dont know what Kaerpnick did beforehand. You flat out have no idea. Two, lets say he did do nothing until he started protest, so what?

Lastly, the whole purpose of a protest is to call attention to something a person (or persons) feels is a great injustice.

So yeah, your position is irrational. I understood clearly, but I did not want to be inflammatory so I used non inflammatory language.

How did I delogitmize his subsequent act?  I actually gave him props for doing it.

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

while at the same time saying it would mean more if he did it earlier. You de-legitimized it.

No, let me whitesplain this to you. Kaepernick has two choices:

He can prioritize his cause of seeking justice for all those black and brown people who've been murdered, and the millions who are living in fear of those who should be protecting them.

Or, he can prioritize my feelings as an Outraged White American, and stop with all this kneeling stuff, since it offends my tender sensibilities.

And he keeps making the wrong choice! C'mon, what's more important, a few hundred people's lives or my feelings? Have some compassion, for God's sake.

Sincerely, 

Outraged White America

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barney B said:

No, let me whitesplain this to you. Kaepernick has two choices:

He can prioritize his cause of seeking justice for all those black and brown people who've been murdered, and the millions who are living in fear of those who should be protecting them.

Or, he can prioritize my feelings as an Outraged White American, and stop with all this kneeling stuff, since it offends my tender sensibilities.

And he keeps making the wrong choice! C'mon, what's more important, a few hundred people's lives or my feelings? Have some compassion, for God's sake.

Sincerely, 

Outraged White America

"whitesplain" - a term used to generalize an entire race in a negative way ... by someone who thinks its unfair that their entire race gets generalized in a negative way. IMO a speaker who wants genuine equality or, at the bare minimum, just wants honest discussion but uses terms like "whitesplain" or "whitetears" just degenerates their message. For every "outragds white american", there seems to be an "irrational black american". Those two polar groups can go to the playground and call each other names and go tit-for-tat while the grown ups have a grown up and honest discussion. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

"whitesplain" - a term used to generalize an entire race in a negative way ... by someone who thinks its unfair that their entire race gets generalized in a negative way. IMO a speaker who wants genuine equality or, at the bare minimum, just wants honest discussion but uses terms like "whitesplain" or "whitetears" just degenerates their message. For every "outragds white american", there seems to be an "irrational black american". Those two polar groups can go to the playground and call each other names and go tit-for-tat while the grown ups have a grown up and honest discussion. 

Reading your post, you do not know what "whitesplain" means, friend.