Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lindy's Sports: 2016 Redskins will finish 4th in NFC East

Boss_Hogg

This is probably the same guy

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14  21h21 hours ago Ashburn, VA
I'd say every single #Redskins offensive coach just dropped some form of a curse word I've never heard before. Wouldn't say they're pleased

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14  21h21 hours ago Ashburn, VA
#Redskins offense looks...ragged. "Sacks", delay of games. On the sidelines there is a "Defense! Defense!" chant. By the defense. Lol.

Uh, it's just mini-camp dude. Geez

What's bad about it?? Oh, where do I begin....first off, Kirk being in his first full offseason as unquestioned starter, and coming off a great 2nd half of last season..desean Jackson back and looking healthier and stronger. Jordan Reed coming off an 11 TD season. Offensive line continuing to get better. Galette coming back. Adding Norman. Niles Paul being back as well....and that somehow leads to us being 4th in the division? Yeah...ok. **** Lindy, whoever he is.

Simmer down, pup. I meant what's bad about being ranked 4th by some know-nothing scrub writer.

Has anyone done a comparison of different predictions versus outcomes for multiple sources to see who's usually better at predictions?  Someone who is better than me at stats could.  I feel like that would be an interesting read.  And then post the results on all the losers twitter wall.

After meticulous study, i have confirmed that population numbers show Philadelphia with 1.5 million potential buyers of said Lindy's rag, and DC coming in at just over 650,000.

I think that explains a lot better than the authors idiocy as to why these trankings are the way they are.

In the case of the Giants, yes, NY has more people, but splitting fandom with the Jets means that there's too much math to figure out how much of a better percentage of sales will come by putting the Giants above the Eagles.

You know,  usually i don't buy these mags because

A/ they're stupidly expensive for a magazine

B/ they are written in April and then updated with draft results, nd as such have no clear insight into the makeup of the team, and

C/ they base their criteria on popular opinion. Case in point, ESPN always crows the Cowboys, so they will too. The Redskins have not been good over the last 20 years, so every bit of what they have been doing is ignored to focus on the preconception.

~Bang

Y'know, I'm pro nerd and pro geek, but geez that pic screams out NERD! 

I think it's the combo of his chipmunk cheeks (you should lose your baby fat by 30), Wonder Years haircut, and powder blue shirt. Heck, even the background looks like something out of a school photo.

Is dweeb more apt? That's what popped right into my skull when I laid eyes upon that photo.

Guys, we shouldn't rush to label what kind of moron this guy is based on one picture. That's ****ed up. It's highly doubtful that one solitary picture can encompass just how much of a know-nothing this guy is.

I mean, it could happen, but I doubt it. Not with the Eagles being a potential dumpster fire, romoSUCKS another year older and more brittle, and the giants starting over with a new coach and overrated, store-bought talent.

Are you crazy man! We lost our veteran leadership. We have no more veterans...or leadership. We're doomed. On another note, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I feel great.

Meh, I can care less about "flying under the radar" and "being the underdog." This goes back to that thread earlier in the year when some guy from USA Today (I think) listed the 2015 playoff teams least likely to go back to the playoffs, and the Skins were listed as one of the teams. At the time, my position was that I had no problem with the Skins being somewhat co-favorites for the division with the Cowboys (assuming a healthy romoSUCKS and Bryant), but looked forward to seeing what the preseason mags said. So far, it looks like the same old garbage.

And I don't consider myself to be a homer by any stretch.....far from it. But to have us last is absurd.

So I took delivery of the 2016 NFL preview edition of Lindy's Sports magazine. 

The author is Brian McNally (who?) and he claims the skins season will suffer from the loss of "veteran leadership" in the locker room. Primarily the loss of Goldson, Knighton, and Hatcher? ooohk

The NFC East is ranked as follows:

1) Cowboys

2) Fecals

3) Giants

4) The Good Guys

Over/Under Wins

Cowboys 9

Fecals 7.5

Giants 7.5

Redskins 7.5

We should probably just go ahead and crown the Turds as division champs. Just about ever sports publication is predicting them to go far. 

I actually think 7.5 is a reasonable over/under number for the Skins this coming season, and I am saying that even though I think the roster will be improved over the one that won 9 games in 2015.  People have to remember that the Skins won 9 games last year because they had the easy last place schedule.  For 2016, the Skins will have a back-breaking 1st place schedule.  Moreover, the Skins can't count on romoSUCKS being out again or the Giants throwing away at least 3 games this time around.  And, Dallas will have the cushy last place schedule this year.

But, I do quarry with the notion that the Eagles are as good as the other three teams in the division.  I think Chip Kelly has pretty much destroyed that team, and it will take Philly a while to right its ship. One wonders if McNally also moonlights at PFF, which ranked the Eagles as having the 5th best roster.

My take is that the Skins are absolutely on the right track.  They may miss the playoffs in 2016, but it would not be because they lost "veteran leadership" as McNally suggested.  It would be more because of the schedule and because there are still an area or two (e.g. the Dline) to address.  But, watch out for the Skins starting in 2017.  McCloughan will have had another draft under his belt by then, and the key players will be good, young and hungry.

I actually think 7.5 is a reasonable over/under number for the Skins this coming season, and I am saying that even though I think the roster will be improved over the one that won 9 games in 2015.  People have to remember that the Skins won 9 games last year because they had the easy last place schedule.  For 2016, the Skins will have a back-breaking 1st place schedule.  Moreover, the Skins can't count on romoSUCKS being out again or the Giants throwing away at least 3 games this time around.  And, Dallas will have the cushy last place schedule this year.

I think the Skins should sweep Philly and split with the Cowboys and Giants, leaving them 4-2 in the division and needing 4 additional wins in the other 10 games to get above 7.5.  Cleveland should be a win. We beat Chicago in their place last season (albeit in a tight game). Who knows how Detroit will be without Megatron (not that they were anything great WITH him).  Other games will be tough (Baltimore should return to decent form), but a lot of them are at home, where we finally had a solid HFA in 2015.  I feel pretty confident this team can go at least .500, although do agree that they might actually finish with the same record and miss the playoffs.

How can you say that the Redskins had an "easy, last place schedule" last season, when we faced teams like the Panthers and the Patriots?

As far as the Cowboys having a "cushy, last place schedule", Dallas plays the exact same teams the Redskins play with the exception of two games. Their road will be no easier than ours was last season. 

Your post makes you sound like the usual assortment of short-sighted fools in the sports media who are making excuses for the Redskins' success last season (romoSUCKS was hurt, the Giants couldn't get out of their own way, all the other teams except the Redskins were suffering terrible injuries, blah, blah, blah). That is your prerogative. However, I'd rather believe the Redskins are building something special in Washington. As Scott said, the team may not be there yet, but it is headed in the right direction. That is the reason for our success, and not just a bunch of dumb luck.

How can you say that the Redskins had an "easy, last place schedule" last season, when we faced teams like the Panthers and the Patriots?

As far as the Cowboys having a "cushy, last place schedule", Dallas plays the exact same teams the Redskins play with the exception of two games. Their road will be no easier than ours was last season. 

Your post makes you sound like the usual assortment of short-sighted fools in the sports media who are making excuses for the Redskins' success last season (romoSUCKS was hurt, the Giants couldn't get out of their own way, all the other teams except the Redskins were suffering terrible injuries, blah, blah, blah). That is your prerogative. However, I'd rather believe the Redskins are building something special in Washington. As Scott said, the team may not be there yet, but it is headed in the right direction. That is the reason for our success, and not just a bunch of dumb luck.

You make great points. I suppose I am waffling between my firm belief that McGloughan has truly changed this roster and culture for the positive and I know in my heart that this team is on the rise...but then I look at the schedule this year and I also look back and realize that this team did not beat a team with a winning record and I'm stumped as to what to really expect from this team this year. Which brings me back to the Vegas line of 7.5 wins. I guess I'd play the over pretty confidently, but if this team, playing this schedule, wins more than 10 games this year I will be super impressed. Equally, if this team, for all the gains I am assuming they have made since last year (Cousins with a full year as QB1, the solid draft picks from last year maturing, the rookies this year contributing and nabbing Norman in FA) fail to get to 8 wins, I will be equally disappointed.

But, I do quarry with the notion that the Eagles are as good as the other three teams in the division.  I think Chip Kelly has pretty much destroyed that team, and it will take Philly a while to right its ship. One wonders if McNally also moonlights at PFF, which ranked the Eagles as having the 5th best roster.

My take is that the Skins are absolutely on the right track.  They may miss the playoffs in 2016, but it would not be because they lost "veteran leadership" as McNally suggested.  It would be more because of the schedule and because there are still an area or two (e.g. the Dline) to address.  But, watch out for the Skins starting in 2017.  McCloughan will have had another draft under his belt by then, and the key players will be good, young and hungry.

Not trying to pick at you specifically hamburger - you are just the latest person to post we have a significantly harder SOS than last year. The data says that's just not true. I have posted this before but will continue to post from time to time when people say we have such a tough schedule this year.

2015 SOS (based 2014 records) - 122-133-1 - 0.478 - 20th

2015 SOS (based on 2015 results) - 119-137 - 0.464

2016 SOS (based on 2015 records) - 126-130 - 0.492 - 17th

However you want to look at it unless several of our 2016 opponents considerably over achieve and no one underachieves to offset. That is highly unlikely. The schedule is a little more difficult, but it's definitely not considerably more difficult it's only 7 gms different - 0.030!.  Last year dallast who we play twice went from 12-4 in 2014 to 4-12 in 2015 and the overall SOS went down exactly 3 gms from before 2015 to after the games!

Even as a stand alone, it's the 17th highest SOS in the NFL, almost exactly in the middle. How is it that much harder?

Well it might be "reasonable" but I'd bet money you would be disappointed with just 7.5 wins...and I will bet money on us going over 7.5 wins if those are the bookie's odds...anything less than 10 (unless we win the division w/9...this division is crap...and Tony is dunn..).. I'm truly expecting 5-1 in division and 6 - 4 or even 7-3..the other 10..and 11-5 to 12-4 are my expectations...

I can't help but consider the NFC East as being one big question-mark. All 4 teams (including the 'Skins!) have questions to be answered before anyone gets a clue on who emerges on top of the NFC East.

My guess is the division will be much more tightly contested than anyone suspected.

However, my hope is that the Skins are able answer their questions -- (1) Is Kirk bona fide?; (2) Can the Skins RBs and O-line make the running game a weapon again?; (3) Is the interior of the Skins defensive front seven able to stop opponents' running attacks? -- in a way that they're the NFC-East team emerging on top.

I love how the Cowboys always get the benefit of the doubt ..... And mostly bit is because they are the mother ****ing Cowboys damnit .... Or as my three year old daughter would put it ... Coz yeah ...

To me the Cowboys look exceptionally weak on defence - Sean lee just cannot be expected to do it all forever ... Sure they get Orlando standrick back ... But who is that ? A mediocre defensive back who's saving grace is he is not Brandon Carr or Morris Clairborn ( just as an aside 2012 looking back was BRUTAL draft for high round flops) ....

Sure they might be dominant on the ground but in 2014 they had a decent defense .

The problem with the Nfce right now is it every team has massive issues to prove .

Archived