Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Muhammad Ali --The Greatest Has Passed (M.E.T.)

aREDSKIN

I'll never get over how much his disease potentially robbed the world of. It's maddening to think about. RIP for sure. If there's ever been an American icon, it was him.

I guess it is a fandom/age type of thing. 

Not like he was going to box anymore after Spinks besides a payday. 

MMA is not boxing. Boxing is not MMA. 

Ali was ... again save it for later. techboy type of post. 

My dad and him are the same age.

Both are the greatest.

RIP.

Will be binge-watching Ali fights all week. Here's a short documentary on one of his lesser-known battles, which is vintage late-career Ali. Rope-a-dope and all.

Some say the knockdown was a result of Wepner stepping on Ali's foot. Still, a classic fight that isn't talked about enough.

Never met him, but met a few people that have and they spoke glowingly of Ali. They said he had an aura even in his decline. For me, he is one of those frozen in time. I think I only saw him box once on TV as a very young child, but I'm not sure. I certainly remember seeing the clips. Not a boxing fan, but as others said he was bigger than his sport. It's interesting how even though boxing has been all but dead since Tyson in terms of national popularity how his name and legend still resonates. I think he will be remembered and revered for a long time... maybe in the same way as a Babe Ruth. When people think boxing he's the face. 

RIP.

I guess it is a fandom/age type of thing.

Not like he was going to box anymore after Spinks besides a payday.

MMA is not boxing. Boxing is not MMA.

Ali was ... again save it for later. techboy type of post.

I'm not talking about him boxing. Athletes come and athletes go but really, in the grand scheme of things, whatever. I appreciate something else about him much, much more. I'm talking about him doing something he was probably also the GOAT of: talking. Being charismatic. Being him. It's painful to watch old videos of him as the original emcee, lighting up rooms filled with old stiff white guys, and thinking he couldn't do that for the last 30 years or so of his life. You realize his shining moment in retirement was slowly, silently, lighting the Olympic torch in Atlanta in '96 and you realize how much we potentially missed out on. The mark he couldve left on the world is exponentially bigger without the Parkinson's. I really think we were robbed. Him, having to sit there silently for so many years, most of all.

That's just my opinion. Maybe I'm too young and too ignorant to truly understand him. Idk. I'm not really sure what you're hinting at. Feel free to get your techboy on and drop knowledge though

Ftr, I've had zero interest in MMA in my entire life. My fandom in boxing is much, MUCH less now as I get older and have other aspects of life consuming more and more of me (and really the same with all sports) but I boxed (like in a gym, not some neighborhood slap boxing bull****) as a teenager so that has always been and always will be where my interest is at.

If you are referring to me then yes I guess so. I didn't mean anything negative, it was more just me reflecting on what exactly he meant. I honestly don't know much about him. I'm watching Sportscenter right now trying to absorb it all.

He expressed himself powerfully and didn't hold back on his political views. Christian turned Muslim. Lots of stuff.

Lol this Ali and Howard Cosell relationship was great.

I'm looking at his record - damn who is Ken Norton? I've heard of him before, but he's the only boxer to beat Ali in his prime other than Frazier.

His son was a beast linebacker for the Cowboys Superbowl teams in the 90's and then I think he played on the SF team that beat the Chargers in the Superbowl, too.

I'm not talking about him boxing. Athletes come and athletes go but really, in the grand scheme of things, whatever. I appreciate something else about him much, much more. I'm talking about him doing something he was probably also the GOAT of: talking. Being charismatic. Being him. It's painful to watch old videos of him as the original emcee, lighting up rooms filled with old stiff white guys, and thinking he couldn't do that for the last 30 years or so of his life. You realize his shining moment in retirement was slowly, silently, lighting the Olympic torch in Atlanta in '96 and you realize how much we potentially missed out on. The mark he couldve left on the world is exponentially bigger without the Parkinson's. I really think we were robbed. Him, having to sit there silently for so many years, most of all.

That's just my opinion. Maybe I'm too young and too ignorant to truly understand him. Idk. I'm not really sure what you're hinting at. Feel free to get your techboy on and drop knowledge though

Ftr, I've had zero interest in MMA in my entire life. My fandom in boxing is much, MUCH less now as I get older and have other aspects of life consuming more and more of me (and really the same with all sports) but I boxed (like in a gym, not some neighborhood slap boxing bull****) as a teenager so that has always been and always will be where my interest is at.

IIRC, the disease didn't take away the ability for him to talk, he was still able to speak...he just chose not to in public because he didn't sound the way he wanted to.  There was a commercial a few years ago where he had one line.

Doesn't change the fact that he didn't speak.  I agree with your premise.  

His lighting of the Olympic torch here in Atlanta will live in my mind forever. I'm sure it was everything he dreamed it would be, a moment for the greatest of all time to shine on the world.

I saw every fight except the one that made him famous, the Sonny Liston fight.

He never gave up his values, his beliefs, or his fight for all mankind to be treated equally.

Rest in peace, good sir. You deserve it.

They just don't make them like Ali anymore. Athletes nowadays are so scared to say anything controversial for fear of pissing off sponsors/endorsers, but Ali spoke his mind and gave no effs about it. Truly one of a kind.

RIP to the greatest athlete ever. :(

I was too young for most of his matches (I was only 7 when he had the "Rumble in the Jungle" in 1974).

I admit, I was never a big fan of his because I'm never a really big fan of mouthy athletes (though he could be funny).

However, he was the greatest.

R.I.P. Ali.

Ali was one of the most, if not THE most famous non-political person worldwide in my lifetime.  Everyone loved him, everyone respected him, and anyone who saw him was absolutely dazzled by him, be it his boxing skill or his personality. I saw him fight as a kid, and saw him on TV a lot. Prior to Pay Per view a lot of the fights were either live or tape delayed, but shown on free TV.. ABC mostly. I remember Howard Cosell turning him into a star, and Ali turning Cosell into a star right along with it.

I grew up with him as The Champ, in every aspect of the word. I remember being as shocked as anyone else when Leon Spinks beat him. I remember him pummeling Ken Norton in the corner at Yankee Stadium. I remember his wars with Joe Frazier, although I was pretty young. I remember the rope-a-dope, I remember the plastic gorilla he taunted Frazier with.. (Could you imagine today if a boxer called another guy a gorilla at a press conference?)

Ali was friggin' HILARIOUSLY funny. A natural showman in and out of the ring. In the 70s they gave us a lot of variety shows.. hour long smile-fests with all sorts of different guests and stuff themed around some vacuous celebrity like Donny and Marie Osmond, or Sonny and Cher..  and Ali was on those shows all the time. he was a pretty natural comedian.

My friends and I were all boxing fans, even when we were younger.. and we argued over everything, except Ali. Everyone agreed on Ali. In my lifetime, he's one of the titans.

~Bang

Very sad news but surely a happy release in many ways for him. Was tragic how he was effectively trapped in his own body for so many years. There really was Ali and the rest. Most iconic athlete in history and probably the most charismatic person ever? 

When We Were Kings will be getting a replay tonight. 

Ali was one of the most, if not THE most famous non-political person worldwide in my lifetime. Everyone loved him, everyone respected him, and anyone who saw him was absolutely dazzled by him, be it his boxing skill or his personality.

My girlfiends knowledge of and care for Western pop culture is limited (she didn't know the Beatles until I introduced her

A couple of months ago) and extremely obscure (she's a lifelong Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers fan), I've never seen show any real level of excitement for any celebrities here and as far as I can tell, sport in Ethiopia is fairly limited (their best athletes, by far, are middle to long distance runners) but when it was announced that he had passed on the radio station we were listening to, before I could make a sound, she let out an emotional gasp and "Oh no!" That said so much to me about his reach. Again, she didn't know who the Beatles. The ****ing Beatles.

Archived