Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: PRINCE DEAD AT 57

aREDSKIN

I happened to be on the Wapo site when this story broke. Though that was hours ago, I'm still in a complete and utter state of shock and disbelief. I'm utterly crushed, heartbroken even.

Prince was my first girlfriend's favorite. At the time I was caught up in the adolescent need to judge him as just some f**** to bolster my budding masculinity. However she made a point of playing his music all the time and the quality of it just couldn't be denied. I was hooked from then on. I played hookie to be the first person at my local "recka stoe" (Prince fans will get it) to buy Controversy. I snuck out of the house to go to the concert for the 1999 tour because my Grandmother wasn't about to give me permission to go. Many concerts later, I still think it was the best one I've ever attended.

Part of the allure was that he was just a helluva good musician doing great work. But it was deeper than that, way deeper. For a light completed Black kid who was too White for the Black kids and too Black for the White kids, I identified with him in a very visceral way. His penchant for breaking societal rules/norms about almost everything jibed with my personal problem with authority and my feelings of being an outsider. Besides, he was just one cool-assed moe foe. He was so cool in fact, that he was able to turn me on to Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Little Richard, et al - artists from an era that I had previously turned up my nose and avoided as "old ****".

From my teenage years, my Prince fandom accompanied me into my young adulthood and even on into my current (headed towards) old fart years. Even though there was a point where I think he fell off a bit as all artists do, he remained my favorite by a mile.

I've never really understood how people could get all worked up when a celebrity died...until now. For the first time ever I actually cried for a person I never met who nonetheless affected my life in a lot of ways. Life just won't ever be quite the same again. Ever.

Peace out Jamie Starr.

Man--another one. And one of those deals where I think I only purchased a couple of an artist's' albums---and I know he was a writer/producer/collaborator on others I bought---yet I always had him as one worthy of that "legend" status. Truly in the top. And I mean his cultural impact as well as his multiple musical talents.

On PBS radio had an interview with his former agent on how Prince demanded he negotiate total creative control on the making of his debut album, and it was a major label. The agent jokingly said he was "just thrilled" at the idea of telling these seasoned vets of the industry that an 18 y.o. who had never had a record, wanted complete creative control of the process.

The agent suggested the execs sit in the booth and just watch, being aware that Prince set-up every single aspect of the recording session from A-Z. The agent said that the exec, understanding what all that meant, and finally seeing/hearing Prince up close, got up about halfway through the song and told the agent "give him what he wants."

Some of the creative-rights protection deals he developed set the more equitable standards for sharing the label's profits that many performing artists enjoy today.

RIP, Prince.

TMZ reporting the emergency visit to the hospital was for treating a drug overdose

When I first heard of his passing, I felt the "flu" reasoning was suspicious.

They (TMZ) are saying that the emergency landing his private plane had to make in Illinois was for a drug overdose. That he had to have emergency treatment on the tarmac at the airport, then was taken to the hospital.

He was treated there, and the doctors at the hospital told him he should stay for at least 24 hours for treatment, but because that hospital had no private rooms, he and his entourage I suppose, left, and he went back home.

Also, something else about Prince and his people visiting a Walgreens near his place like four times in the days before he passed away.

The Minnesota authorities are conducting a full investigation into his death.

R.I.P Prince.

I can't post the direct link here bc of a bad word in the link itself, but the onion's story on prince is funny. NSFW language all over it

Www.theonion.com

Nation Too Sad To **** Even Though It’s What Prince Would Have Wanted

Just devastated. The volume of music. THe Sign o the Times album. Guy was just on another level. Another level of special.

Baby, yes

Until the end of time

I'll be there for you

You own my heart and mind

I truly adore you

If God one day stroke me blind

Your beauty I'd still see

Love is to weak to define

Just what you mean to me

Adore is just a beautiful song

I said after Bowie; especially for us older people.  Alot of our fav actors, musicians, etc.. are getting up there in age and we will be reliving these sad moments quite often. Occasionally, there will be shockers like with Bowie and yesterday Prince.

Let's all the facts come out before we say that drugs took Prince.  Even if it did, nothing can take away; the great music he gave us and actually will give us.  Prince was very prolific and there's probably tons of unreleased music that will see the light one day.

I never spoke with Prince. He always struck me as a private guy. Maybe he was shy around strangers. We never had much actual interaction – a couple nods in passing, but no real words were exchanged.

The Twin Cities of the 1980s was a very special time for all of us local musicians. There were the North Minneapolis R&B artists, the South Minneapolis guitar rock bands, and in the center of it all was First Avenue/7th Street Entry.

I've seen Prince perform sold out shows with The Revolution at First Ave, he and a rhythm section jamming as a guitar/bass/drums three piece in the Entry for 30 people, and was selfishly frustrated when he took over "the main room" for 25 days of filming Purple Rain.

I had the pleasure of spending seven days recording the basic tracks for my first solo album at Paisley Park in December 1988. It was the most professional studio I had ever seen at that point in my life. On the seventh day, I moved from the B room to Studio A, which was Prince's primary room. I remember seeing Sheila E's percussion in one of the isolation booths. The large control room was decorated with several of Prince's scarves. It certainly felt like Prince's home.

Prince was an artist through and through – always pushing himself to new levels, often creating controversy through his actions and words, and ultimately creating a lifetime of wonderful memories for the world with his incredible volumes of published (and unheard) works.

I heard the news while driving from Tomah WI to Minneapolis. I immediately flipped on The Current 89.3 FM to make sure what I was hearing was true. Sure enough, there was a live report from outside Paisley Park confirming the sad news of Prince's passing.

I'm two blocks from First Avenue as I write these words. Friday and Saturday nights, I will walk that same stage we all know from the movie. The exterior walls of First Avenue are covered with stars to honor the musicians who made an impact on music fans in Minnesota.

Make no mistake: Prince was the brightest star in these Northern skies. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fellow musicians. Prince's music will give consolation and comfort to the collective grief. Godspeed.

-Bob Mould

Archived