Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: PRINCE DEAD AT 57

aREDSKIN

The heartfelt tributes pouring in from all walks of life sums up his impact on the music scene & the lives of people who were touched by his music. An incredible musical talent and, it appears, an even more incredible human being.

Sad...Thanks, Prince. Thanks for all of it. RIP

MTV Live his all day Prince today.  

People weep for artists they didn't know personally because those artists helped them know themselves.

Prince was brilliant.  He had pop hits, but he also had amazing deep album tracks that, sadly, a lot of people haven't heard before.  He had albums that went multiplatinum.  He had others that barely sold enough to crack the top 100.  He wrote soulful, introspective ballads as well as high energy tension filled rock legends.  He wrote, produced, recorded, sang, and played the instruments on every record he released and fought with the industry and won.

He gave his songs to other artists to perform and benefit. (Sinead O'Connor, Bangles, Chaka Khan etc) And paid tribute to those he respected and admired by covering hits on his albums as well as his concert (see SB performance of Foo Fighters Best of You).

I saw Prince in Atlanta twice.  Once at the Coca Cola Amphitheatre.  It was a great show.  He played all his hits to a crowd of teens to 40 year old parents.

But I also saw him at the Limelight in Buckhead.  He went on stage around 1230 and played past 3.  It was the greatest "concert" Ive ever attended.  He played song after song from the deepest parts of his discography and added in everything imagineable from Chuck Brown to Lou Reed to The Who.  He ended that show with a 20+ minute rendition of Purple Rain that would have made you cry.

Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player of all time.  He responded " I wouldn't know.  Ask Prince".

Damn Im sad today.

There's probably four or five albums worth of music as good as Purple Rain or Sign O The Times sitting in his vault at Paisley Park so we will probably never be without new Prince music.

But the thing about him was that - like Bowie - it seemed possible that he would drop one more mind-blowing single or album at any point in his life. It never felt like he was in "oldies" limbo, where he could just perform his classic hits for the rest of his life and that would be that.

(Though God knows he has more "classic hits" than just about everyone; two of the local stations here did Prince marathons yesterday as I was driving around for 2 hours, and the number of absolutely perfect songs is staggering).

The Twin Cities of the 1980s was a very special time for all of us local musicians. There were the North Minneapolis R&B artists, the South Minneapolis guitar rock bands, and in the center of it all was First Avenue/7th Street Entry...

...Prince was an artist through and through – always pushing himself to new levels, often creating controversy through his actions and words, and ultimately creating a lifetime of wonderful memories for the world with his incredible volumes of published (and unheard) works...

...Make no mistake: Prince was the brightest star in these Northern skies. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fellow musicians. Prince's music will give consolation and comfort to the collective grief. Godspeed.

-Bob Mould

Great words and homage from a personal music hero of mine. That music scene in Minnesota was incredible in the early 80s. Obviously, Prince had transcendent and universal appeal. Among the many, many things you could say about him, I think you could say Prince was also respected by even a lot punk rockers of the 80s. A movement that started off espousing DIY ethics and not conforming to standard norms, mostly in music... he embodied a lot of that.

At some point, punks all over kind of became hypocrites and really judgmental. You just couldn't say you liked some 'mainstream' musician without getting called out as a poser or other ridiculous things. I don't think it was that way with Prince though. He was so unique and definitely did things his way. There was a lot of non-conformity and DIY ethics/attitude in what he did. No BS. He played the biggest part in giving legitimacy and national recognition to that music scene , and some bands from that music scene became a big part of what would later become alt rock or whatever. Just my opinion, and based on memories of events and people I knew around the time. Maybe I'm projecting my own thoughts into my memories. I know I always thought of him as a sort of honorary punk, if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm just being a little sappy. I was really surprised at how sad I was at the news yesterday. I was never a avid fan, but I respected the hell out of him.

When I first heard of his passing, I felt the "flu" reasoning was suspicious.

They (TMZ) are saying that the emergency landing his private plane had to make in Illinois was for a drug overdose. That he had to have emergency treatment on the tarmac at the airport, then was taken to the hospital.

He was treated there, and the doctors at the hospital told him he should stay for at least 24 hours for treatment, but because that hospital had no private rooms, he and his entourage I suppose, left, and he went back home.

Also, something else about Prince and his people visiting a Walgreens near his place like four times in the days before he passed away.

The Minnesota authorities are conducting a full investigation into his death.

R.I.P Prince.

Yeah, "flu-like symptoms" is almost always a cover.

Here's a neat article on the history of First Avenue.

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9832-everybody-is-a-star-how-the-rock-club-first-avenue-made-minneapolis-the-center-of-music-in-the-80s/

I can't remember where I where the story. It may have been Our Band Could Be Your Life. It may have been the liner notes from a box set. It's a relatively famous story.

The Replacements apparently heard that Twin Tone was going to re-release their early albums on CD. Opposed to the new format for I'm sure perfectly reasonable, non-drunk reasons, the boys got lit up, broke into the Twin Tone offices, stole the master tapes, and threw them into the Mississippi.

Apparently they knew that from where they dumped the tapes, they would go past Paisley Park at some point. Someone commented that that they hoped that Prince would fish out the tapes and change his entire musical direction as a result.

That 80s Twin Cities Music Scene is completely crazy when you really think about it.

Watch Prince's solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, playing with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, et al.  Prince jumps in at 3:25 if you want to skip forward.  Jiminy ****ing Christmas.  The guitar equivalent of a mic drop at the end, with the strut off-stage, is priceless.

Is that Eric Clapton quote real?

It doesn't really matter, I guess, but I have my doubts...

Probably not. Or, better yet, this: if you try to find any evidence that it's real, you won't be able to. 

But speaking as a musician; total respect. The guy was crazy talented, and would have been successful in whatever direction he chose to go. Not sure I can think of any artist who combined such a vast array of influences to such good effect.

I like this quote from Miles Davis about Prince:

“James Brown—his father took him when he was young, he got on the stage and danced with him. He has that, he has Jimi Hendrix, and Marvin Gaye. He combines all that, all the time. That’s what he is. And his stage persona, that’s Charlie Chaplin.”

And Dan T:

Watch Prince's solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, playing with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, et al.  Prince jumps in at 3:25 if you want to skip forward.  Jiminy ****ing Christmas.  The guitar equivalent of a mic drop at the end, with the strut off-stage, is priceless.

Yep. Brilliantly simple. Simply brilliant. 

RIP

There's probably four or five albums worth of music as good as Purple Rain or Sign O The Times sitting in his vault at Paisley Park so we will probably never be without new Prince music.

But the thing about him was that - like Bowie - it seemed possible that he would drop one more mind-blowing single or album at any point in his life. It never felt like he was in "oldies" limbo, where he could just perform his classic hits for the rest of his life and that would be that.

(Though God knows he has more "classic hits" than just about everyone; two of the local stations here did Prince marathons yesterday as I was driving around for 2 hours, and the number of absolutely perfect songs is staggering).

I was fortunate enough to see him at Essence Festival in 2014 in the Superdome.

It was a 2.5 hour show. My boy is nowhere near as big a Prince fan as me, so Prince is just playing hit after hit after hit. And after each hit he says, "you guys know I got a lot of hits." Then he played hits he wrote for others. After the show my boy was like, "bruh, I did not know he had so many real hits. Songs that I know" I just smiled and said, "yeah."

Here's a neat article on the history of First Avenue.

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9832-everybody-is-a-star-how-the-rock-club-first-avenue-made-minneapolis-the-center-of-music-in-the-80s/

I can't remember where I where the story. It may have been Our Band Could Be Your Life. It may have been the liner notes from a box set. It's a relatively famous story.

The Replacements apparently heard that Twin Tone was going to re-release their early albums on CD. Opposed to the new format for I'm sure perfectly reasonable, non-drunk reasons, the boys got lit up, broke into the Twin Tone offices, stole the master tapes, and threw them into the Mississippi.

Apparently they knew that from where they dumped the tapes, they would go past Paisley Park at some point. Someone commented that that they hoped that Prince would fish out the tapes and change his entire musical direction as a result.

That 80s Twin Cities Music Scene is completely crazy when you really think about it.

Alexander O'Neal hated Prince, lol.

He was originally the frontman of The Tyme (or Fly Tyme as it was called back then). Prince put Morris Day as the front man, but it was amazing seeing all those great artists together at that time.

and then guys who would influence pop music for a generation like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

Is that Eric Clapton quote real?

It doesn't really matter, I guess, but I have my doubts...

Easy to believe--Clapton celebrates (and loves to play with) other great guitarists regularly and genuinely believes (many musicians would agree) that more than a few are "better" guitar players.

KInda OT:

In more recent years he has frequently stated Mark Knopfler was his pick for "the best" in pop/rock. He's mentioned different favorites for jazz/classical (Bream, Williams, Di Meola etc.). He also loves Chet Atkins (as does Knopfler who made a fun album with Chet). 

Bowie and Prince so close together is kind of extra trippy for me. Both are "bigger" and "more important" icons to me than many others the term is applied to these days---in pop music the term can still be both valid in some respects and yet diluted over time. For years now I have wondered what it will feel like to me when the last Beatle dies (assuming I outlive them---Paul and Ringo seem to be holding up damn well). I was a couple years shy of being a teen when they hit the US big but I had been getting into music since I was 6 (buying records for a player I was given). They made such fundamental impact on me both with their music and thinking-wise (the topics they generated in social conversations)  and were such a developmentally influential life event for me that I have often thought about writing on it (zoony would writhe reading it :)). If I'm still here when the last of them pass, it will be a very big deal to me.  I hope it's not taken as even a little bit untoward to wax on other artists here for a moment.

I'm no metal head, but Prince have some of the meanest guitar riffs you ever going to hear. Does he get the credit he deserves as an all time great guitarist?

As a huge metalhead and semi-pro guitarist for 30 years running, I can tell you that Prince is held in extremely high regard in the metal community. Dude had crazy chops.

Sad man. When I was in college, I actually got to meet Prince one time at a club. Afterwards we went back to his house and my friends and I played a game of pickup basketball against his crew.

This is incredible.  And real.

Breakfast%20Can%20Wait%20Prince%20Cover%

The comedian memorably explained on Friday to Tonight Showhost Jimmy Fallon what it's like being featured on the cover of Prince's September 2013 single Breakfast Can Wait. 

"That's a Prince judo move right there. … You make fun of Prince in a sketch and he'll just use you in his album cover," the comedian quipped. "What am I going to do — sue him for using a picture of me dressed up like him? ... That's checkmate right there."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tonight-show-dave-chappelle-explains-711896

Watch Prince's solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, playing with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, et al. Prince jumps in at 3:25 if you want to skip forward. Jiminy ****ing Christmas. The guitar equivalent of a mic drop at the end, with the strut off-stage, is priceless.

[mediatube.com/watch?v=6SF8K9Y[/media]

His feel is just incredible. His ability to stand out without stepping on the vocals or any of the other instruments is a thing of beauty

Archived