Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 6

PleaseBlitz

Dany is at a high point at the moment.

I fully expect something terrible to happen to her fleet.  She'll survive it, but right now it's too rosy, she's basically going to be able to steamroll KL and everything but the North, which even then probably can't mount much resistance other than being far enough away that the WWs probably get there first.

Cersei will give Dany more trouble than I think it looks at first glance.  Cersei has nothing left but Jaime and the Iron Throne at this point.  She still dies, but she's clever enough to do some damage first.  Hopefully they find another trick aside from wildfire, that well should be tapped dry by this point.

It's really shaping up that the GoT is going to be won by a woman/women? Quite literally Jon Snow, or should I say Jon Targaeryan, is the odd man out. Which to me signals, that he's going to be killed off. Again. 

I think Littlefinger is the new bad guy. I wonder how his grip on the Vale lords will hold after last night. Vale is not the North, so they can chant all they want, they have no real allegiance to him. 

I'm not sure why they bother with king's landing. they can win that through attrition. High Garden is KL's food source. We already know that Casterly Rock isn't producing much gold anymore. The Iron Bank has cut off funding for KL. they have no money, no food. Houses like the Tarlys (Sam's family) are with High Garden. KL will not have support with the North. Maybe the Vale. Riverlands now have a power vacuum and weak leaders with the remaining Freys. 

I'm kind of sad R+L = J seems to be confirmed.  I was always hopeful it'd be someone else, but barring a total head fake, that's the path we're on.  Jon being a Targ will still lead to some cool things, but with it being the key theory for so long, I had been hopeful it'd take a blow.

Also where the hell is Gendry?  Get back here and be relevant to the plot dang it, you're the last Baratheon, you've got stuff to do.  Seriously, a few spots just opened up on the cast list.

Re Cersei's speech about doing things because they feel good (which was great). I thought it was interesting that when she left, you heard the Septa screaming, but the Mountain was just standing there, not doing anything yet. Impacted maybe by the complaints about depictions of rape and violence against women in the show? I feel like in prior seasons it might have been presented a little more graphically

yeah, they've toned down sex. Some of the violence is still graphic. Watching the early seasons again and it's way more raunchy and misogynistic. Last night, I was surprised we weren't treated to Pycelle taking the prostitute. Thankfully. 

Fantastic episode!

And LOL at everyone who guesses completely wrong week to week like it's their job.

I think I guessed she was going to blow up the sept and that she was going to kill Tommen. Indirectly? Do I get points for that?

It's really shaping up that the GoT is going to be won by a woman/women? Quite literally Jon Snow, or should I say Jon Targaeryan, is the odd man out. Which to me signals, that he's going to be killed off. Again.

Thing is, Jon has 0 ambition. He didn't want to be lord commander. He only reluctantly led the north's armies, and he doesn't seem to care about being King in the North. He's a reluctant hero when it comes to ruling. His big concern is with the white walkers. That's what he cares about. I could easily see him accepting Dany as the queen of the seven kingdoms in exchange for her help against the white walkers. I don't think he has any desire to sit on the iron throne.

- Thank the Gods (the old and the new) that Danny is finally on her way back to Westeros after what seems like 4-5 seasons of purgatory in slaver's bay.  

- The most GoT thing ever would be Danny fighting Jon Snow not knowing they were related.  I believe JRRM said that the ending would be "bittersweet" in some quote somewhere.  Danny sits on the throne having killed one of her only remaining relatives?  That might fit.  I'd like to think that they would be on the same side, but eh, who knows.

- I think secretly Cercei knew that Tommen wouldn't survive.  The prophesy and everything.  

- Of the characters that died, the only one I'm really going to miss is Margary.  Both because she was very hot, but also because she was a pretty bad-ass character.  She was playing the "long game" against Cercei and the High Sparrow.  Unfortunately for her, Cercei sped up the clock and the game ended early. 

- Arya.  Oh, Arya.  Who's next? I can't remember the whole list.  But she's gotten a few of them now.  I do wonder if she knows what's going on in Winterfell.  

- So, Sam, the most pointless character in the entire show (so far) to get a lot of screen time, has a Valeerean Sword, and is now just going to go hang out in a library alone for a while?  GREAT. 

- MAYBE, just maybe, the alliance between the Dornish and the Tyrells brings the Dorn storyline into relevancy.

- Can we get this guy (whatever his name is, I'm not going to look it up) to direct the entire season?  He's awesome.  I know, that's logistically impossible, or we'd be waiting 4 years for the next season, but, damn.  Dude's got some serious touch.  

- I'm very interested to see if the Night King's mark on Bran means that now the WW can cross the wall, assuming Bran goes south of the wall.  I think it almost has to, or else the WW cant get through, because of the magic.  Easy solution to that problem: Keep Bran north of the wall, and they can't get through.  But that would be way too easy.  

Thing is, Jon has 0 ambition. He didn't want to be lord commander. He only reluctantly led the north's armies, and he doesn't seem to care about being King in the North. He's a reluctant hero when it comes to ruling. His big concern is with the white walkers. That's what he cares about. I could easily see him accepting Dany as the queen of the seven kingdoms in exchange for her help against the white walkers. I don't think he has any desire to sit on the iron throne.

If he wins it all, the above is probably why.

The line from episode 9 about Jon Snow not being a king, and that being precisely why they should follow him, seems to be foreshadowing.  People with ambitions for themselves tend to not do too well in this series, eventually.  Jon having a goal besides his own power probably insulates him from the usual "hubris leads to downfall" narrative tool.

Besides, if I'm putting money on somebody winning it all at this point, it's Jon.

Song of Ice and Fire.

Jon is Stark and Targ, Ice and Fire.  Originally, if R+L=J wasn't true, I figured they might have Jon and Dany marry, which also fulfills Ice and Fire, but with Jon being both in one, Dany is superfluous.

Unless Jon dies and Sansa (or Arya, or Bran) and Dany get together.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them. 

He didn't ask the northern lords to be King in the North. They bestowed it upon him. 

It goes back to Varys riddle about power, where does power really reside? Power resides where men believes it resides. 

The first twenty minutes of this episode was the best directed, edited, and scored twenty minutes of television I have ever seen. That was incredible.

I don't completely understand how Cersei ended up as queen, but I guess that everyone else is dead and she can blow up the city if they don't go along with her so rock on, Queen Cersei.

As I've said repeatedly, I don't particularly care about who ends up on the Iron Throne and will be terribly disappointed if it just ends with the current system intact. They do seem to be moving in the direction of the entire "wheel" being destroyed since there are no more Baratheons, no more Tyrell heirs, no more Boltons, I imagine there are still a few Freys but they are likely drooling morons, barely any Lannisters, etc. There are ****s and women and Littlefingers in charge everywhere. And Arya will kill anyone who is left, I suppose.

The one issue I have is that it seems too easy for Dany right now. Unless the plan is to have her take over and then immediately deal with the White Walkers, I'm not sure where the drama is right now, at least in King's Landing. Like when three Dragons and a Dorthraki horde show up, is anyone going to die in the name of Queen Cersei?

I'm kind of sad R+L = J seems to be confirmed. I was always hopeful it'd be someone else, but barring a total head fake, that's the path we're on. Jon being a Targ will still lead to some cool things, but with it being the key theory for so long, I had been hopeful it'd take a blow.

Having a twist like this just for the sake of having a twist is awful storytelling.

Having a twist like this just for the sake of having a twist is awful storytelling.

I agree, once you're done the "aligning eyeballs scene cut" it's pretty much in stone.  They should leave it as R+L=J, no more twists there.

One way they could throw in a twist without interfering with R+L=J though, would be if the "Tyrion is a secret Targ" theory holds.

So if the wall has ancient spells written into it that won't allow white walkers to pass...

Didn't Sam kill a white walker at Castle Black in Season 1?

No. Sam killed a White Walter at Craster's Keep which is north of the Wall. Jon killed a reanimated Wight after the Night's Watch brought his body south of the Wall.

So if the wall has ancient spells written into it that won't allow white walkers to pass...

Didn't Sam kill a white walker at Castle Black in Season 1?

I believe it was Jon and Ghost that killed a wight back in S1. I'm not sure how this plays to the theory, though. Wights are just undead people, not White Walkers themselves.

No. Sam killed a White Walter

I lol'd.

The first twenty minutes of this episode was the best directed, edited, and scored twenty minutes of television I have ever seen. That was incredible.

Agreed. Even the costumes, the first couple minutes showing everyone get dressed for the trail was great. 

Just re-watched the last 20 minutes from the TOwer of Joy onward ... chills the entire time.

Last week was amazing from a battle and intensity standpoint. This week tops it in the story-telling, the music, etc.

I can't think of any 2-show power punch like the last 2 episodes of GOT in TV history. I just can't think of anything that holds a candle. I just fear the show will have a tough time matching the emotion of these last 2 episodes between now and the last few of the series when we obviously build back up to some insane wars.

Also --- side note ... I knew that the TOJ was coming and I heard the score that was interlayed over the whole sequence and I told my wife to expect me to tear up and don't judge. We had a few people over for the finale and after the "King in the North" moment I looked around and of the 5 people we had over, 3 had visible tears and two others had jaws open (guys and girls).

ALso --- there were some watery eyes when Tyrion was named Hand of the Queen.

God what an awesome episode. Maybe tops last week as the best hour of TV ever.

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaspBsfgRg was put together by someone back in November and lists all the instances in GOT in which clues were laid for the reveal we got last night. I missed some of these ... like Maester Aemon talking about how Dany was the last Targaryan and how terrifying that must be then BOOM in walks Jon ...

But anyway, yeah they may be awaiting the official reveal until Jon can get it in person from someone (Bran?) ... but obviously Jon has been established as the Song of Ice and Fire.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a16293/margaery-tyrell-death-natalie-dormer-game-of-thrones/

EXCLUSIVE: NATALIE DORMER ON MARGAERY TYRELL'S 'GAME OF THRONES' SHOCKER

"I just spent three hours in the car this morning," confesses a slightly sleepy Natalie Dormer. "You New Yorkers are used to doing that. I'm not." Despite this admission of exhaustion, the London-based Game of Thrones actress seems alert and game for anything. Sporting a deep plum lip, her honey-blonde hair in loose waves, Dormer proceeds to don a series of lacy black dresses—from skintight Dolce & Gabbana to princess-y Marchesa—and pose in front of a wall of blood-red roses, a tribute to the sigil of House Tyrell, of which her Thrones character belongs. The black is a fitting theme; this shoot is a funeral of sorts, after all.

On tonight's episode of Thrones, Dormer's character, Queen Margaery Tyrell, went to a dramatic, fiery death at the hands of her mother-in-law, Cersei Lannister, who, rather than stand trial by the Faith for her various crimes, detonates King's Landing with a stash of Wildfire left over from the Mad King Aerys's days. Margaery's husband, King Tommen, overcome with grief, promptly kills himself. It's a stunning conclusion for a season that has toyed with Margaery's true intentions—has she fallen for the High Sparrow's tricks? Whose side is she actually on? "Margaery's been playing the game, she's been trying to get her and her brother out the best way she thought she could: by cutting a deal," says Dormer. "Margaery is a fatality of the High Sparrow underestimating Cersei."

Dormer, 34, joined the cast of the HBO blockbuster in its second season, though it's hard to remember a time when her character wasn't plotting her ascension to the Iron Throne. Despite Thrones' infamy for knocking off its protagonists, Margaery's demise is sure to drop some jaws. "I'd like to think that people will be sad to see the Tyrells unjustly blown to smithereens!" Dormer says with a laugh. "As an audience member you spend so much time with these characters, you get to know them very well, and to have them so irreverently snatched from you and killed is really harsh."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/26/game-thrones-natalie-dormer

Game of Thrones star on that shocking finale death

Her death, like so many others on Game of Thrones, wasn’t exactly fair. Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer) had all the wits necessary to survive the King’s Landing lion’s den. She was chosen as somebody’s queen, not once, nor twice, but three times. And after each occasion, she was denied a comfy rule by forces beyond her control. Margaery perished in Sunday night’s spectacular finale after becoming trapped on the High Sparrow’s losing team as Cersei Lannister made her explosive checkmate move. The outcome was the final chord in a recurring theme in Margaery’s life — she constantly found herself attached to powerful, yet doomed, men. Only this time, besides the High Sparrow, she couldn’t escape his deadly downfall.

EW spoke to Dormer about her final Thrones episode. The actress, who joined the series in its second season, has seen her feature film career bloom over the years, with roles in The Hunger Games franchise and Rush, among other projects. Here she gives her thoughts on Margaery’s fate, and most intriguingly, says her character could have beaten Cersei if she wasn’t tripped up by the High Sparrow’s mistakes.

Entertainment Weekly: When did you get the phone call that Margaery wasn’t making it through to next season?
Natalie Dormer: I preempted the phone call because in true Natalie Dormer-style I tried to fit a million projects into a single year. I requested [while making season 5 that showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] release me from working on the show earlier than usual so I could do another project, and they ended up phoning me — and that was The Call. But I got it six months ahead of normal. They were like, “We weren’t going to tell you this for a few more months, but we’re not going to release you now, so you can’t do that job you really want to do and we’re really sorry about that. But on the bright side, we are going to release you proper in the not-so-distant future.” It was good news, bad news — no you can’t do this, but don’t worry, you’re going to have lots more opportunities very soon.

And how did you feel about that?
They have to tighten the storylines given however many episodes are left. They have to focus them, down to get to the real business of the throne. Dany’s not far away. I appreciate they have to streamline and they’ve come up with some ingenious ways to do that that the audience will not see coming. That’s Game of Thrones all over, isn’t it? Every year something comes from the left field that no one could have predicted. It’s great they can still shock people six years on. I watch as an audience member as well, you get side swiped.

And how did you feel about the way Margaery goes out in particular?
I thought it was really clever. I really did. It’s not an echo of anything you’ve seen in the last six years. It’s truly it’s own unique moment to tie up what’s been a unique storyline about what’s happened in King’s Landing over the course of season 6. I thought it was an inspired choice. And it’s really interesting that I am given a moment of some vindication at the very end, which was the perfect way for Margaery to leave the show. She’s given a platform to say that she was right, as she always is. But because the power was taken from her, she couldn’t do anything about it.

She’s been sparring with Cersei all this time, but then has to relinquish control just to survive.
The reason it all goes tits up is because Margaery wasn’t in control of the battle against Cersei. She had to hand the reins over to the High Sparrow and Cersei outplays him. By the end, Margaery is a victim of the High Sparrow’s incompetence. He underestimates Cersei and that’s something Margaery Tyrell would never do. David and Dan try to stay as close to human nature as possible.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/27/game-thrones-emilia-clarke-finale

Game of Thrones: Emilia Clarke makes season 7 predictions

Forget about winter. Daenerys Targaryen is coming to Westeros!

After six seasons exiled across the Narrow Sea, the Dragon Queen set sail for King’s Landing in the final moments of the Game of Thrones season finale, accomplishing a goal she’s been chasing since the show’s very first episode. We spoke to the show’s Emmy-nominated star Emilia Clarke about this enormous story change for her character (which she was understandably excited about). Plus, we asked her to speculate about what might happen in season 7 when Daenerys hits King’s Landing – Clarke doesn’t actually know, but she can guess like the rest of us – and whether this big move means that Dany will meet Jon Snow, who we’ve now learned is almost certainly her nephew.

Entertainment Weekly: So Dany finally left Meereen!
Emilia Clarke: Since marrying Khal Drogo, her one aim has been to get back to Westeros. But, oh bugger, I gotta learn how to rule. Oh god, we gotta get here first. Oh f—, I might as well rule this city. Ah, a revolt – bugger! Dammit, now I’ve got to go over there! No more slaves! Done! Brilliant! She’s got the dragons. She’s got the manpower. She’s got the ships thanks to the Iron Born. So there’s nothing else to do. She’s got to go now. Iron Throne!

And she’s got the confidence now too …

Exactly. She’s got the balls. And she also knows she’s got to go forward to help Meereen. She’s got to sit on the Iron Throne for the ripple effect. She knows she can do rule better than anybody else.

How does it feel to know Dany is finally going for it – unless there’s a storm at sea and all your ships sink.
Don’t even suggest that! You might give them ideas. I’m going to go back and see my mates, so Emilia feels really happy, I get to come home. It’s amazing. But the idea [Dany] might might not see [Jorah Mormont actor Iain Glen and Daario Naharis actor Michiel Huisman] again, that idea suddenly makes the show feel like it has a finite ending and that’s really sad. So there’s the excitement of getting there and being with everyone else and also being like, “Yo! Other queens! Bye!”

Speaking other queens, you have to think Cersei doesn’t stand a chance. You got dragons, the Unsullied and the Dothraki. She can barely control anybody around her aside from a gang of street kids.

I mean, yeah. That’s what I’m saying. If we talk about this: basically, I’ve got ships, I’ve got manpower, I’ve got dragons that breath fire, and I apparently cannot be killed. I don’t even have an attractive man who wants to take his shirt off anywhere near me now, so there are no distractions. Though we have yet to see [Peter Dinklage] without his clothes on. The only thing missing is Jorah. He’s gotta come back. I said I can’t rule the Seven Kingdoms without him … But as with Game of Thrones, you know when your character is looking good, that’s when you know you’re not safe. Because [the writers are] all, “Oh, do you like her? We’ll kill her!”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-lady-bear-island-906516

'Game of Thrones': A Salute to Season 6's Breakout Star, Lyanna Mormont

Jon Snow's mother isn't the only important Lyanna in the North, and not even the only important Lyanna of "The Winds of Winter," the final installment of Game of Thrones' eventful sixth season.

Near the end of the episode, Lord Snow attempts to solidify the North behind his cause against the White Walkers, but his pleas fall on deaf ears. The tide only turns after a rousing speech from Lyanna Mormont, the Lady of Bear Islands, no more than 10 years old and in command of no more than 62 soldiers — at least that's the number she gives Jon back in "The Broken Man," but no telling how the figure has adjusted in the wake of "Battle of the ****s."

"Your son was butchered at the Red Wedding, Lord Manderly, but you refused the call," she says, the ice-cold toughness of a world-weary warrior in her young voice. "You swore allegiance to House Stark, Lord Glover, but in their hour of greatest need, you refused the call. And you, Lord Cerwyn, your father was skinned alive by Ramsay Bolton. Still you refused the call. But House Mormont remembers. The North remembers. We know no king but the King in the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a ****. Ned Stark's blood run through his veins. He's my king from this day until his last day."

"From the moment she came in, she was on it: she was professional, and she was just brilliant," Liam Cunningham, who plays Davos Seaworth, told THR about working with Ramsey during the season. "There's an old adage about how actors should never work with children or animals, but that's B.S. When kids are as good as this young lady is, it's a joy to play opposite. She was absolutely amazing. When somebody comes in and is that good, it makes your job that much easier."

Mark Mylod, who directed Ramsey's Game of Thrones debut in "The Broken Man," remembers shooting the character's first scene and immediately recognizing her instant hit status.

"She walked in for the casting reading, and we were knocked completely sideways. It was one of those moments where you go, 'Oh my God, what a star.' You could not wish to meet a more delightful young lady. It was a four-and-a-half-page scene where we first meet that character, with Jon, Sansa and Davos all meeting her on Bear Island. We had a rehearsal day, and I think we were shooting mid-week. The cast agreed to come in on their day off to work with this young actor, Bella. She's so young that she still works on child hours, so we had a limited amount of time with her. We knew we had to work fast, and she had so much dialogue, as you may remember from the scene. We all came in on a Saturday morning to the set, and everyone was having a jolly day, thinking we would be coaxing this shy young child through the scene. We all had kid gloves on for the day.

"After the first rehearsal, I remember thinking, 'OK, this is going to be a very short rehearsal. She's note perfect.' The accent was awesome, her inflection and her professionalism... we ended up rehearsing for only a half hour because she was so on it," Mylod continued. "And of course, the rest of us felt deeply ashamed, because she knew every single word and every single inflection. We all went home feeling a bit deflated. (Laughs.) But also excited! Because the level of talent there is so ridiculous. She's someone we're going to look back on in 20 years, and she's going to be ruling Hollywood. She's just amazing."

Archived