Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What expectations do you have for the 2016 season? (merged)

CrypticVillain

The Cowboys have been right at or around .500 most years with romoSUCKS and Bryant outside of the one year where Murray went off. I dont see how a mostly .500 team with a QB who is now older and more injury prone is expect to dominate the division. They have had multiple chances to do that and have not.

I dont know who is going to win the division, but based on history romoSUCKS being back doesnt mean much except they will probably win more than 4 games.

The Cowboys have been right at or around .500 most years with romoSUCKS and Bryant outside of the one year where Murray went off. I dont see how a mostly .500 team with a QB who is now older and more injury prone is expect to dominate the division. They have had multiple chances to do that and have not.

I dont know who is going to win the division, but based on history romoSUCKS being back doesnt mean much except they will probably win more than 4 games.

I think Dallas bounces back and has another typical Cowboy year (somewhere between 7-10 wins). I also think that either the Eagles or Giants will be pretty good. I don't care about new coaches...half the time those teams jump out and have nice seasons. 

We are kind of the wild card...do we build on last year's success or fall back to where we typically finish? 

I expect us to compete for the division and finish no worse than 8-8.  

My predictions based on our schedule:

Division games - Split with Dallas, split with NY, sweep Philly [4-2]

Home games - Packers (W), Vikings (W), Browns (W), Panthers (L), Steelers (L) - [3-2]

Away games - Bears (W), Cardinals (L), Ravens (W), Lions (W) - [3-1]

London game - Bengals (L) [0-1]

Finish 10-6, where the Packers, Vikings game could result in losses taking us to 8-8.  Possibly another loss somewhere in the mix.  Finishing 9-7 or 10-6 is a possibility if we are finally headed upwards instead of taking two steps back.  But given past history I have to lower my expectations.  

Had no expectations last year since it was kind of an evaluation season. Wanted to see the team compete, with little drama, especially after the Shanahan aftermath. Now that we know what we have:

-Better run game; balanced offense

-Kirk cements himself as the guy (consistency at QB is long overdue)

-2015/16 draft classes contributing in all phases

-Continued home field advantage would be great

As far as the season goes, another div. title would be nice. Could be a tougher schedule than last season. Looking forward to that.

Assuming the team stays reasonably healthy I think the Skins go 9-7 again but the 2016 team is somewhat better and younger than the in 2015.  I've observed that improving teams usually improve over a period of years climbing to the next plateau pausing there a year or two before ascending further.  In 2015 the Skins made a big leap from bad (4-12) to mediocre (9-7) and I expect them to be no better than mediocre for a couple of years before hopefully developing into real contenders in 2018-2019.

I don't know if the run game really gets better in 2016.  They will probably draft another running back who can catch to take some of Alfred's carries and hopefully another OLM to improve the line with the rest spent on the defense.  The 2016 defense will probably be younger but no better than the 2015 defense.  I expect SM to look to find 3 or 4 defensive contributors in the draft that will develop but probably not quick enough to improve the win/loss ratio.  So in summary I think the team will be marginally improved and younger in 2016 and they will have to fight to get over .500 again.

I'll go with 10-6 for the moment.  Part of me hesitates to be optimistic because this team for most of 2 decades have followed good seasons with at best a step down and at worst horrible seasons.  Having a good season strangely seems to bring bad karma to the next one. 

But I am optimistic mainly for 3 reasons:

1.  Kirk i think will continue to get better and I am generally upbeat about his future.

2.  The pash rush should be better with the emerging Person Smith and a healthy Junior Galette.

3.  I am hoping that the law of averages kick in and we don't have the same number of injuries we has last season.  Ironically one of our luckiest years for injuries was 2013 which wasn't a good season.  But yeah if I recall we ranked top 5 in the league for injuries.  

Two seasons in a row without a losing record (or with a winning record!) would be something of a novelty for us. I'll accept that. It's a tough schedule this year.

If we win the division two years in a row, I'll be thrilled.

It will depend what we do in the draft. I think our Offense is just an inch or 2 of becoming great. We need a top C AND 1 more good Rb. I would trade out of pick 21 4 a later one in Rd 1, plus a 2d. With the 1 pick will take Center R Kelly, with first 2d Rd. best Rb available. Afterwards, all Defense. Then, we will be able 2 win close games with Offense!!!! Hail.

It will depend what we do in the draft. I think our Offense is just an inch or 2 of becoming great. We need a top C AND 1 more good Rb. I would trade out of pick 21 4 a later one in Rd 1, plus a 2d. With the 1 pick will take Center R Kelly, with first 2d Rd. best Rb available. Afterwards, all Defense. Then, we will be able 2 win close games with Offense!!!! Hail.

I personally think we will go either NT or DT with the first round pick.  If Scot has Kelly on his list we wouldn't have to trade back to get him, I would assume he would pull the trigger just like he did with Scherff last year.  Kelly is projected as a late first round pick, most have him on the Cardinals radar at #29.

That gives us some wiggle room, but you have to assume you have a trade partner willing to swap and give up an additional pick to move up a few spots.  If they can trade back and gain another pick, it's most likely going to yield something like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

No team picking between #22 and #28 is going to give up their 2nd round pick to move up, the combined value of those two picks for all of those teams is greater than the value of the #21 pick we own.

1 thing worrying to me is that now we are through the better players stage of FA we have for me not gone better in any position. At this rate we will have to hit the jackpot with our 1st 3 picks in the draft, which should be DT, DE and C in any order.

Championship teams aren't built in FA.

Thinking about that London game this year....Did you know that generally London games are blowouts decided by 8 or more points? I wonder if we will get blown out this game against the Bengals? Did you know the further west a team travels to London the worse they tend to perform in London? I wonder if that matters much since we are so close to them? Did you know that Kickers generally don't have great games in London even though 30 point games are common which is odd but understood when you consider the poor field position there? That favors the Bengals right.....Interesting game that one, could hinge our season between playoffs and not playoffs

They are an 8-8 team, but the division is bad and other things could break their way.  They could make it to 11 wins, but I doubt it.

If things go extremely (but reasonably) badly, they could be 5-11 (e.g. several key players end up missing large chunks of time).

The run game is up in the air.  Jones had the one really good game, but I'm dubious of him and was when he was drafted.  I'm assuming they'll try and add a RB somewhere, the OL has to get better at blocking, and I really think it would help if Cousins became better at play action.

Cousins is not as good as he showed last year.  He is not one of the most accurate passers in the history of the NFL, which is what his completion % would suggest.  I'm still not sure why that happened.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if he slipped back statistically from where he was rated about the 5th best passer over all last year to  about 10th.  It is possible that there is something I'm missing with respect to Cousins and the offense, but I still don't understand how that happened.

Moses is what he is at this point in time.  Scherff could reasonably improve.  I'm not sure given the combination, you'd ever call that side a force, but it can be at least good (and might be there now realistically so could become better than good).

I liked the Louvaou pick up when they made it.  I would have liked to see him in a functional offense/system/organization.  Those kind of pick ups make a lot of sense to me.  But given his age now, the time missed with injury, and the injury issues, I'm not sure he's going to be somebody you can count on.  He's had 2 surgeries this off season on his foot/ankles, 7 in his career, and is not going to be ready until training camp (will miss OTAs).  That's not a guy you can count on being a consistent force going forward.  If some how he suddenly gets healthy, that would be a big help IMO.

Barry appears to be eh.  He doesn't appear to scheme up well enough that he can make the unit better than the players, but you could certainly do worse.  Given enough talent, I suspect the defense could do really well with Barry, but you'll need elite talent.

Making the jump from average to really good requires luck.  You have to get players that out perform expectations based on what you paid (either in terms of money or draft picks) for them, and in that sense, it is hard to predict until it actually happens.  So far, I'm not impressed with the strategy to make that jump.

If Vernon Davis becomes a pro-bowl caliber TE again, then that would certainly help them make that jump.  But nobody really is predicting that, which is why we got Davis so cheaply/easily.

• 2 weeks later...

8-8 or better, and I'd be content. Hopefully Cousins continues to develop, and my thinking with them mainly keeping the gang together is they want a familiar environment into which they could continue to mould Kirk.

If Kirk plays well and we're in the playoff hunt in December, I'll be happy. If he plays better than well and we manage 10 wins, or more, I'd be downright ecstatic. Back to back NFC East champs would be crazy, considering where we were at the end of 2014.

KC's will perform even better then last year.  He's a work-a-holic and playing for another big contract.  Money aside, he wants to win and is in the same system now for multiple years.  He's got the same targets and is in a comfortable position.  The offense will be good.

The defense is the part of the team that must improve to win.  The pass rushers will be better with Big G playing for a big contract as well.  I think it adds up to high expectations for a good year.  Winning records against this type of schedule sets the stage for a playoff run if they make it in. 

HTTR

Why are some fans not buying into the fact that Cousins improvement during the season was real?  Is it because it is rare for a late round pick to show improvement in the NFL or due to the Skins history of misfortunes? I know we played some average to below average defenses, however in the past those teams looked like all stars against us.

It wasn't like he was throwing up miracle passes or getting lucky on plays. What we were witnessing is a qb getting more reps and confidence. I think ppl may also be selling Jordan Reed and D-Jax short.  We have one guy the can get open underneath and one over the top, unless a defense has a good pass rush our offense should be able to move the ball with ease like we saw many times last season.

It wasn't like he was throwing up miracle passes or getting lucky on plays. What we were witnessing is a qb getting more reps and confidence. I think ppl may also be selling Jordan Reed and D-Jax short.  We have one guy the can get open underneath and one over the top, unless a defense has a good pass rush our offense should be able to move the ball with ease like we saw many times last season.

Which is why the thought of adding that kid Kelly @C is so tempting IMO.............let the O run right and it can impress

• 2 weeks later...

I have to mildly adjust my expectations for the season. I think we're right there with Dallas and slightly above New York as far as the division goes. With the addition of Norman and a solid draft, I think we're finally in prime position to do something we haven't done since 1992... And that's back to back playoff appearances. 

For me this team will go as far as Cousins takes them. And here is the rub, a lot of people are saying Cousins needs to take another step.  Seriously?  If he plays like he did the last 8 games we are talking top 4 QB in the league.  I mean what's not to like the almost 70% completion rate or over 4,000 yards passing?  And another year for this OL (especially the right side) to improve, no injuries to Reed and Jackson and a step up from Crowder (not even considering our rooke WR) means to me we could be a top 5 offense.  hell I am not even considering improvement in the running game here since really that is a crap shoot with our current RBs.  But the OL should improve there also.

No question we have also gotten better in pass defending also but here is the question.  How much better are we against the run.  That's what killed us last year.  For me the number one reason GB beat us in the playoffs.

Archived