Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What expectations do you have for the 2016 season? (merged)

CrypticVillain

I haven't even thought much about the team's prospects yet - I wanted to stay medium.  After the draft and signing a top CB I am thinking we are going to be even better than last season.  My upbeat mood is aided by those players who we expected great things from but injuries kept them off the field.

Specifically, on defense I think our pass rush might be one of the best and that coupled with a much improved secondary should result in a defense that will shut down opponents.   Last season our offense played real well; and we had to in order to keep pace with our opponent.  I am thinking that we have the talent and team spirit/toughness to make it deep into the playoffs.

Hail to the Redskins!

I may have already replied on this thread, but I definitely think this team is going to make big improvements over last year.

Offense under Kirk while he has more than a week to prepare.

Defense with some better pieces.  Galette, Norman.

I predict pain for opposing teams, and fun for Skins fans.

For purposes of the thread,,,KC is now a veteran. Period. He's also on the continual rise as its been proven. Additionally he has the same pieces to the puzzle with more targets. The kicker is its another contract he's playing for and the man keeps an OCD schedule of superior discipline. He will only improve.

Targets galore...don't forget Crowder, Grant, Vernon Davis, and Niles Paul. The offense is primed to have the pass setup the run! That's the name of the game in this age of the NFL.

Running game will improve with surprises! The line is solid. Can only go up from last year. Who will get the bulk of the carries? Give it to the coaching staff to find the right plays for the right player in the grand scheme of things from week to week.

Defense...really??? You make the additions we have and listen to the coaches ramble now, however the message is they don't need a coined NT. Let's watch the defense lead the sack parade and turnover battles. The defense is built for havoc!

If I were an opposing team looking at the schedule, I don't give an instant W when seeing the Redskins name. That's better then last year and the team is going to beat the hell out of some teams. They will also win some close games. No reason knowing what is available to us as fans that there's a glaring reason for pessimism going Into the new season.

If the skins don't win 9 games then it's a step backwards, duh!

Last year despite winning our division we couldn't beat teams with a positive record. We must be able to beat these teams this year.

I think the Pokes will be our strongest opponent, but we have the tools to shut them down. Josh will take care of the drama queen, we will use Su'a a lot in dime and nickel packages to stop their RBs. We also need more production from the pass rush and of course keep most of the starters from being placed on IR.

To give a little perspective...

We played 7 of the top 12 scoring offenses (if you take us out of the rankings), one of them twice

We played 7 of the top 12 in rush yes/game (one of them twice).

We played 8 of the top 12 in total yards/game (2 of them twice).

And they went through that with 1) a D lacking talent, 2) a new defensive scheme (and defensive staff), and 3) unbelievable injuries/personnel changes - 1 starting OLB, 4 starting ILBs, 6 different safeties, and a ton of different corners.

On top of that, they had an offense that often 1) went 3 and out after the defense recorded a turnover and 2) turned the ball over.

So, no doubt the D had major issues, but the overall improvement in PPG, redzone and 3rd down efficiency, etc., were pretty impressive under the circumstances.

As for this year... I think the defense has a bit more talent, better and more experienced depth, and more experience in the system. Couple that with an improved offense (which should help the defense out) and solid ST play, and I think we've got a solid chance at another division title.

Of course, the season may hinge on the running game on both sides of the ball - both of which were only marginally addressed - so it'll be intriguing to see what happens there.

I have no idea what our record will be, but this team will exit 2017 very battle-tested. You have to learn how to play against the likes of Baltimore, Pitt, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Carolina, Green Bay and Arizona. It won't be fun, but those teams will teach us to man up or cave; to be disciplined or to give up huge plays; to protect your QB and fight for every inch or to turn the ball over and get folks injured. 

We seriously could go 0-7 in those games above. I'm not predicting that, but it's about as hard as one-team's schedule can get. We're going to find out what a lot of guys are made of this year. 

We will be a better team this year, I have no doubt.  but we also play a much harder schedule.  I would be shocked with a 10-6 finish, probably more realistically looking at 8-8.  Playing good teams will help us much more in the future.  

We have improved our squad over last year, so barring a worse set of injuries the team should improve. Last year we were able to beat the weaker teams, this year we need to step up and beat some of the good teams. If we do, then it's 10-6. If we don't, then 7-9 and some question marks over what needs to change before we can start posting consecutive winning seasons.

I expect we'll find some way to choke late in the year either in the playoffs or an important regular season game.

That's just what this town does.

#dcsports

If there is a sports god, they will let us revenge-stomp the Steelers faces off week 1 for what happened last night... F'ing hate pennsylvania teams. They've cost me too much sleep.

I think 6 wins is the absolute floor and 10 is the absolute ceiling. 7-9 or 8-8 are the most likely outcome. 9-7 is very attainable. If I were betting money though, I'd say 7-9. That's us actually being a better team all around but assuming both us and our opponents are fully healthy.

If our running game can kick it into high gear and all else in my prediction remaining the same, I'd raise the floor and ceiling by 1 with our record likely to be 9-7 and 10-6 being very attainable.

Really tough games - Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona

Tough games - Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Cincinnati, Dallas, Baltimore and maybe NYG

Winnable - Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland

I know some don't feel the Giants will be much of a threat, but they've added some pieces, and with the same offensive scheme they could have a potent passing game.

I like our chances of sweeping the winnable games (5), splitting with Dallas and NYG (2) and 'stealing' 1 or 2 vs the tougher teams (1-2). This is assuming our run game and defense improves at least marginally. So 8-9 wins is my guess... but it ain't gonna be easy. Now if our run game and defense take a big step forward, then I like our chances vs anyone and double digit wins should be very doable (though still tough).

BTW - really like where our bye falls, and that we don't face 5 teams with extra prep/rest time(or whatever it was last year).

I reserve the right to change my mind at the end of Training Camp   :) .....but for now, I expect us to go 4-2 in the NFC East (splitting w NYG and Dallas) and 6-4 in our remaining games, to finish 10-6 and once again win the NFC East.

Uncertainty of injuries aside, I think that this year's schedule is much tougher....but I also think that we're definitely a better team than we were last year at this time. Addition of Norman/Gallette far outweighs (not literally  ;) ) the loss of Pot Roast/Hatcher......TE depth/blocking should be much better...and most importantly, young talent (especially Cousins + OL) has another year in the system/under their belts.

Color me an optimist (guilty as charged), but I think that the team is building the right way, with a good GM w a plan, and the strongest coaching staff (overall) than we have had in a while. 

The schedule concerns me - I just can't see a way that this team truly takes the next step with regards to its W/L record. One of these years though, we are going to see an 11-win-or-better team here!!! I just don't think it'll be next year with non-divisional opponents like Cincy, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona, and Green Bay. 

I do think this team is well-positioned to be good over the next few years, so hopefully they can tread water in 2016 and really take off in 2017. 

My expectations have not changed...mayyybe better red zone production.

I see a lot of (at least incremental) improvement -

Defense vs outside runs with (hopefully) better tackling by the safeties - adding Cravens and Ihenacho (and ditching Goldson/Robinson/Johnson) - and improved tackling the corners. Guys like Hall, Smoth and our ILBs should be a bit more accustomed to the scheme as well.

Defense vs big plays - adding Norman, Cravens and Fuller, Hall (and Jarrett?) getting more comfortable, plus a (again, hopefully) better pass rush.

Offensive run game (pun not intended) - Moses, Scherff and Jones should all be a bit more comfortable. Davis/Paul/Paulsen should help as well.

Passing game - more trust in Kirk, Crowder more comfortable, Docton added and a combo of Davis and Paul making our offense a bit more versatile.

We still have holes/room for improvement, but I like our chances of being a (at least slightly) better team as a whole.

Archived