Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins To Unveil Drawings Of New Stadium :CSN Mid Atlantic

DButz65

Most NFL stadiums are not outside the city....we know why Dallas built their stadium so far out. But the majority of stadiums are downtown. 

The Cowboys stadium is smack dab in the middle of Arlington, Texas.  It is not far out, or remote, in any way.  It's also very close to DFW Airport.  It's actually a great location. 

Digressing a bit to design, I've always thought an outline that matches our helmet logo would be cool.  The stadium would be the circle obviously, and maybe the feathers could be offices or a museum or something like that.  Probably not too practical, but maybe a gifted architect could figure it out.

@CLSkinsFan...would love that back, but times have changed...drastically

They certainly have. The amazing thing to me is if Jack Kent Cooke knew what Fedex Field would become. He never would have built it. The loss of that epic home field advantage is a large contributor to our downfall over the past 20 years IMO.

The Cowboys stadium is smack dab in the middle of Arlington, Texas. It is not far out, or remote, in any way. It's also very close to DFW Airport. It's actually a great location.

As someone who grew up there and still goes to visit family there, I have to disagree completely. Fort Worth is about 45 minutes away from Dallas. Arlington is about 15 minutes from Fort Worth (heading east toward Dallas). The stadium is actually closer to Fort Worth than Dallas. Also DFW airport is about 20 min north. Since theyre the DALLAS Cowboys I'd say theyre pretty far from Dallas. In fact Dallas hasnt even played in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl in the 60s. Then they moved west to Irving (which was way closer to DFW btw) and further west and south to Arlington. The Cowboys are actually becoming more and more remote as the years go by.

All travel times mentioned are with no traffic and going 60-65 mph.

I like the idea of something like the Seahawks stadium. Where the seats come up close to the field and are more vertical. I like the idea of using the Greek/Roman architecture that is throughout DC.

I'd also like to use that recognizable top to RFK's stadium. As a nod to the past.

A difference I'd personally love to see is a better/bigger area for the marching band. I'd love to get rid of the piped in crappy music and utilize the band like a college game atmosphere. It could be "our thing" as it already kinda is. Drums pounding in our opponent's ears. Drums kinda a nod to the Native Americans, as well.

I hope this does not sound condescending to our Native American brothers and sisters but I want the new stadium play homage to the culture in which the team is named after. Their history and story is a major fabric within the American culture.

And I still want that roof!

Hail!

Bravo!!! You hit the nail on the head! That would be great! Never thought about it like that. Only the roof aspect, parking access in and out has to improve!!!

I do hope Snyder makes a statement in terms of utilizing sustainable energy sources. I would love to see 50 percent of consumption come from solar for example

Best comment in this topic, the Eagles there stadium had a boat load of solar pannels and wind turbines and the other new stadiums also have substainability in mind if you read the plans. The NFL even works together with a 'green building consulting company' that gives NFL stadium a substainable rating. So I think it's already an important topic around the league. 

One thing I love about stadiums is when it matches with the team/region. One of my favorite stadiums is the Hamar Olympic Hall better know as the The Viking Ship. It looks like the keel of a viking ship. The new Vikings stadium is also beautiful. From the outside it looks like a ship or an iceberg. 

I don't think we can do anything with our teamname. I would love that but I don't think that's smart. So I would take a hard long look at the city. The most prominent buildings (White House, Cathedral, Jefferson, Capitol, Lincoln) in the city all are white with pilars and lot of round shapes. I would design a stadium that looks like that. 

Something like this:

5IVjt8q.jpg

A difference I'd personally love to see is a better/bigger area for the marching band. I'd love to get rid of the piped in crappy music and utilize the band like a college game atmosphere. It could be "our thing" as it already kinda is. Drums pounding in our opponent's ears. Drums kinda a nod to the Native Americans, as well.

I remember the band participating more during the game at FedEx, particularly in the 1999 season, and thought it was really cool. Would like to see a move back to that.

As far as the stadium's exterior, I know there's some sentiment toward the white stone like on the monuments, but I don't like the look on a stadium. Nats Park is a solid place once you get inside, but I've never really liked the exterior of it.

Friends of mine bought the old WMAL Redskins van. Had a piece of that RFK turf growing in there for years.

Not to question that, but just how does one grow dirt? For the most part, the field was merely painted dirt. lol.

Jk, I know what you're saying.

That is something I just can't grasp today; back then, outside of that nasty ass astroturf, it was an actual grass field, and the grass was so green. Every time I see a clip from an old game, the first thing I see is the green grass and then Mel Brooks in history of the World saying '" everything's so green!"

fields today, you just don't see it; it has a tint of gray, brown, blue, **** everything but friggin green! 

I WANT A GREEN FIELD DAMMIT !!!!! :angry:  :ph34r:

I don't think we can do anything with our teamname. I would love that but I don't think that's smart. So I would take a hard long look at the city. The most prominent buildings (White House, Cathedral, Jefferson, Capitol, Lincoln) in the city all are white with pilars and lot of round shapes. I would design a stadium that looks like that. 

No offense Wilco but that design is ass butt ugly...we ain't in Rome! :ph34r:

Hail!

Doesn't fed ex already use a ton of sustainable energy? They signed something making them the "greenest" I thought in recent years. 

And just make sure it can get loud, Seattle loud (even if that means speakers :) ) ... thats all that matters. Every description about RFK was the atmosphere... and thats what we need to get back

I'd love the stadium to be about 70-80k capacity,  natural grass no roof, but retractable only if we are trying to get a SB.    But to me where FEDEX really falls short is outside the stadium.  First and foremost it has to be metro accessible.  so no national harbor.   And by metro accessible I mean like Nats stadium and Verizon.   Don't care DC, MD or VA but it has to be metro accessible.  

I'd like to keep a few parking lots almost exclusively for the professional tailgaters ( Green E42,  Dead Tree Gang etc. etc.)  For many of us regulars and especially over the past 2 decades the tailgate was the best part.   But I don't think everyone that is simply going to a game or meeting at a bigger tailgate needs to buy a $40 parking pass.   A majority of the fans should be able to  metro and the parking lot be filled w/ season long tailgaters.   If you are familiar w/ the Grove at Ole Miss it would be like that.  a cluster of unbelievable tailgates  that are simply over the top. 

In addition to the smaller but better sea of tailgates there should be a slew of redskins bars and restaurants between the metro and the stadium jam packed before and after the game w/ crazy fans.   The draw should be so big that even if you don't have a ticket to the game fans would still metro in to tailgate, bar hop and watch the games in the bars outside the stadium.    its conceivable that the bars outside the stadium erupt just as loud if not louder then in the stadium.   Snyder could own several of these bars to offset the loss he would take on charging for parking. 

For consecutive years FEDEX has been widely regarded as the worst fan experience in the NFL.  I don't want to have the biggest stadium, or the loudest and frankly I could care less if we get the SB or Olympics.   I want the Redskins game day experience to be the best and most inviting party in the NFL.      

Lets not forget our Beer Blankets either!

mmmmm...Beer Blankets

The romanticism of the weather is the most overrated aspect of football, IMO. I've never really enjoyed football played in slop, or a driving rainstorm, or sub-freezing temps. I'll take 50-80 and comfortable every time, so I would support a retractable roof. I wanna see some of the world's finest athletes play at their best, not fumbling and stumbling battling the elements.

I LOVE playing football and football played in the elements!! Just like backyard football....mud...snow..fun times..

Archived