Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins To Unveil Drawings Of New Stadium :CSN Mid Atlantic

DButz65

I agree with this so much. Sure a nice cool autumn day does make a great football day but freezing my tookus off or sitting in the rain or having a brutal wind slap me in the face for 3 hours isn't an enjoyable experience, just because "football is meant to be played in the elements"

I suspect some of these "internet mountain warriors" who want a stadium with the modern advancements of 1972 don't even go to the games. They're sitting at home watching the games on a nice HDTV, complaining about other fans being soft. Please... :rolleyes:

Make a stadium with less seats then FedEX, retractable roof(key word is "retractable" for the neanderthals that act like it's a permanent dome) and superior acoustics. Put it right where RFK is. 

I suspect some of these "internet mountain warriors" who want a stadium with the modern advancements of 1972 don't even go to the games. They're sitting at home watching the games on a nice HDTV, complaining about other fans being soft. Please... :rolleyes:

Make a stadium with less seats then FedEX, retractable roof(key word is "retractable" for the neanderthals that act like it's a permanent dome) and superior acoustics. Put it right where RFK is.

I'm down with all of this.

I'd even prefer artificial turf over natural grass in this new stadium but I haven't mentioned that because I didn't want to bring out the "if there aren't grass stains, it's not football" crowd.

Awesome. I like cutting edge. Outside the box.

As do I. I wish American architecture in sports arenas and stadiums had some of the creativity that European and othe global stadiums do. Most of ours are fairly basic and boring which is why I do appreciate designs like the new Vikings stadium.

For consecutive years FEDEX has been widely regarded as the worst fan experience in the NFL. I don't want to have the biggest stadium, or the loudest and frankly I could care less if we get the SB or Olympics. I want the Redskins game day experience to be the best and most inviting party in the NFL.

Based on what? I've never heard that?

Not sure if FedEx has been "consistently the worst," but the game day experience just has never seemed to have been looked at favorably. A lot of that has probably not much to do with the stadium itself and more about the performance of the team.  However, the combination of its suburban location and that the place simply long appeared crappy in comparison to its peers didn't help when people do their "stadium rankings."

Anyway, here's the website of the Danish firm, in case anyone wanted to take a look at their other projects:

http://www.big.dk/#about

I'm down with all of this.

I'd even prefer artificial turf over natural grass in this new stadium but I haven't mentioned that because I didn't want to bring out the "if there aren't grass stains, it's not football" crowd.

I don't romanticize the elements so much, but we have to have natural grass

Artificial turf has no soul. It's like composite decking or vinyl siding. Just... Low rent

I'd be down for a retractable roof

Fedex stinks b/c the product on the field has stunk for so long. Even the years we were "ok" we were terrible at home. If the team keeps playing like this and we keep winning at home Fedex will turn into a rocking dumpy stadium that other teams fans hate to visit and we would grow to love.

But either way, as i said before i really hope the stadium is in the City and that its seats about 70k. I think that would be perfect size and small enough to keep seats at a premium. 

FedEx Field is NOT a dump. You clearly have never attended a game at FedEx Field. This myth needs to stop.

it is but it's okay for the purposes

Also the redskins can post AL the drawings and artist renderings they want but my biggest concern is where they'd play. They can't play in DC until they tear rfk down. And that itself is a huge can of worms. Forget building in Loudon or national Harbor or anywhere in Nova.

We can dream about new stadiums but honestly where would it go. There's no room anywhere to put it.

Also the redskins can post AL the drawings and artist renderings they want but my biggest concern is where they'd play. They can't play in DC until they tear rfk down. And that itself is a huge can of worms. Forget building in Loudon or national Harbor or anywhere in Nova.

We can dream about new stadiums but honestly where would it go. There's no room anywhere to put it.

Serious post? RFK has no occupants starting in 2018. DC is trying to figure out what to do with that land, and the Mayor (who changed her tune quickly on the name thing) is now making public statements about getting the Redskins back to DC.

Apart from that, you're probably looking at the suburbs. Loudoun included. There's not "no room anywhere" just as there wasn't "no room" for Nats Park and the DC United stadium. There are plenty of underutilized locations across the entire area.

Serious post? RFK has no occupants starting in 2018. DC is trying to figure out what to do with that land, and the Mayor (who changed her tune quickly on the name thing) is now making public statements about getting the Redskins back to DC.

Apart from that, you're probably looking at the suburbs. Loudoun included. There's not "no room anywhere" just as there wasn't "no room" for Nats Park and the DC United stadium. There are plenty of underutilized locations across the entire area.

Show me where. Rfk seems the best but would the city welcome them back? I can't think of anywhere else in DC open to building a huge ass stadium. Northwest is not an option. Northeast perhaps but you're talking about destroying people's homes here.

A fantasy option is redskins play in Navy Yard or buzzard point where you see a view of the capitol or at least a glimpse. But there's no room.

Loudon is probably a likely option. After thinking you might also be able to pull off something near Woodbridge or along that 95 corridor. It's more likely it ends up outside the city. I just hope I can take transit there. Because if they put it where no trains go how would most people get there. Huge jams

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2015/09/17/capitol-hill-residents-blast-idea-of-new-redskins-stadium-at-rfk/

There was one idea they widely and intensely opposed: building a new stadium for the Redskins. And almost every one of the more than 20 people who stood up to oppose a new NFL stadium did so without saying the team’s name.

“We’re not interested in having a professional stadium here. Instead we’re interested in how this land will give back to the community,” said Roslyn Esperon, who lives at the intersection of 23rd and E streets SE.

Another neighbor, Ted Arthur, stood up and said flatly: “Bottom line: No NFL stadium.” Others lamented the possibility of having to continue living beside dozens of acres of parking lots or the crowds that would be associated with eight home games.

Awesome. I like cutting edge. Outside the box.

Anyway, here's the website of the Danish firm, in case anyone wanted to take a look at their other projects:

http://www.big.dk/#about

I like it too. HOK has ruled stadium designs for the past 25 years, but their work is getting bland. I like the idea of a newcomer to the game. But... if our new building fails like FedEx Field and new Comisky Park in Chicago, we'll be back at this game again in another 20 years. I'm still not sold on the fact that we're already in the design phase without a location. IMO, find your lot, then worry about building your house. But this weeks news is to fire up new stadium talk, not much else. 

Show me where. Rfk seems the best but would the city welcome them back? I can't think of anywhere else in DC open to building a huge ass stadium. Northwest is not an option. Northeast perhaps but you're talking about destroying people's homes here.

A fantasy option is redskins play in Navy Yard or buzzard point where you see a view of the capitol or at least a glimpse. But there's no room.

Loudon is probably a likely option. After thinking you might also be able to pull off something near Woodbridge or along that 95 corridor. It's more likely it ends up outside the city. I just hope I can take transit there. Because if they put it where no trains go how would most people get there. Huge jams

If they're coming back to DC it will be at RFK. Pointless to try to identify other spots when you have that land already available. The disapproval of those residents will ultimately not matter. There is money involved. And yes the city wants them back. No other reason for the sudden about-face from the Mayor.

Other spots: literally anywhere that's within a mile of a major limited access road and a mile (or so) of a metro station. Current or future metro station.

This isn't as complicated as you're making it sound. It's the exact same problem that every city that has ever had to build a stadium faces.

I hope for RFK, but I predict Loudoun County will be the long term $olution for short term gratification, much like Raljon was in 1995. I could see the franchise moving to VA to avoid the name problem in DC. However, life in the Commonwealth in exchange for the right to keep the name would be a short sighted measure. VA would definitely be the least expensive option of the DMV area. Loudoun County alone would probably pick up a significant portion of the tab. 

Everyone here hopes they can turn the rfk land into a good stadium site. I really hope it happens because you could build something really nice there. But it's all about politics now. I hope the politicians and people are reasonable and allow for a return to the site. It'd certainly be a better walk than Morgan to FedEx.

Anyway enough about the site. I wanna see some fantasy pics of the new stadium.

It probably won't go into DC due to economic feasibility and politics. Look on google maps, on 267/Greenway, past Broadlands and 267/643. Past that stream and on the right is a new water processing facility and a Data Center site. And on the left? Tons of space. Before Leesburg.

Fedex is a 200 acre site. Where are you going to find 200 acres in DC or MD?

I'm not to familiar with the DC area.  I haven't been there in years and even when I lived in Maryland I stayed away from DC but I do remember there were lots of run down parts of town.  Some areas were business/industrial and some were neighborhoods that I was scared to drive through.  Why can't he just buy up one of those sections of town, knock everything down and build there?  I get that it may displace a bunch of poor people but I don't that really matters in the world of billionaires.

I'm still not sold on the fact that we're already in the design phase without a location. IMO, find your lot, then worry about building your house.

I don't agree with this.  Some times it benefits you to get land first if location is your biggest desire.  But I also know plenty of people who have designed a house first then looked for a lot it will fit on after that because the house design was more important to them.  I would also imagine it will be easier to secure the land that he wants (wherever that may be) when he can have something to show them (a picture of a shiny new stadium design). 

I don't want a new stadium.  But if we have to do it I only ask:

1. Open air; I don't want a dome/roof.

2. Natural grass or primary grass hybrid field

3. RedZone lot transitions.  I love the new lot setup.

4. Make it clear that it's the Redskins' stadium by design; I want people to know who they're playing.  The stadium design and decor shouldn't be interchangeable for any sports team.

5. Keeping it in MD would be nice.  I'm already driving back and forth from NJ for every game; don't make that any more painful than it has to be.

I'm not to familiar with the DC area. I haven't been there in years and even when I lived in Maryland I stayed away from DC but I do remember there were lots of run down parts of town. Some areas were business/industrial and some were neighborhoods that I was scared to drive through. Why can't he just buy up one of those sections of town, knock everything down and build there? I get that it may displace a bunch of poor people but I don't that really matters in the world of billionaires.

I don't agree with this. Some times it benefits you to get land first if location is your biggest desire. But I also know plenty of people who have designed a house first then looked for a lot it will fit on after that because the house design was more important to them. I would also imagine it will be easier to secure the land that he wants (wherever that may be) when he can have something to show them (a picture of a shiny new stadium design).

There are some shady parts but gentrification is starting to hit DC and they're building new homes and restaurants in certain locations ie Rhode Island Ave

I don't think poor people should have their homes torn down to make way for the stadium.

Based on what? I've never heard that?

I don't remember exactly when and where but a few years back there were multiple publication saying that the Redskins experience was the worst because it was overpriced, the product on the field sucks,   traffic and accessibility of the stadium, and that FEDEX feels cold, soulless and lacks personality.    its hard to argue w/ any of it.   but to be fair the biggest gripes (overpriced and traffic)  could be applied to all things in the DMV.  I tried to find the articles but instead found these. not all of them have us dead last, but its still pretty sad.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/02-01-2014/561/nfl-stadium-experience-rankings/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/728416-power-ranking-all-32-nfl-stadiums-by-gameday-experience/page/13

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/best-worst-nfl-stadiums-capacity-rankings-lambeau-field-solder-field-size-super-bowls

Archived